• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Hexagon |OT| a VVVVVVery cool Terry Cavanagh game on iOS (PC/Mac later)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I think touching where you want to go would make the game impossible actually, since it'd constantly block your view

ghibli99

OK, so they're not just small buttons on the screen; you just touch the sides of the screen? [Edit: Jesus, I need to learn how to read.] That makes me feel better, although I'm already intimidated. That trailer was like... :O

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
If the trailer is truly gameplay and not just to show off its hotness, it must be that hyper mode after you beat the game

ghibli99

That Chipzel guy is good... I just sampled a few tracks off of his website, and I think I might have to buy that album.

TerryCavanagh

Neo Member
Hello! I'm Terry, and I made this game - just saw this thread on my incoming links! I've had an account here for ages, but never got around to posting. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask :)

If the trailer is truly gameplay and not just to show off its hotness, it must be that hyper mode after you beat the game

Yeah, basically to make the trailer interesting it's slightly modified from the actual game - wave speeds in the first mode start at 22 and eventually goes as high as 50 in Hyper Hexagonest, but the trailer starts at 30 and goes up to 40 after the one minute mark.

So the game does get that fast eventually, but the first two levels of the game aren't actually that fast. :) Don't worry!

INTERESTING TRIVIA: I made the trailer by setting up a predictable sequence of waves inside the game, and recording it all as one take. That should hopefully say something about how high the game's skill ceiling is...

ghibli99

Terry: Great to see you post here! I just recently played through VVVVVV on the PC and 3DS two weeks ago and loved them.

Looking forward to playing this, and will report back with impressions later. The Flash version was really difficult. LOL

Hello! I'm Terry, and I made this game - just saw this thread on my incoming links! I've had an account here for ages, but never got around to posting. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask :)

Welcome to GAF! VVVVVV is one of my favorite games in recent years and I'm looking forward to sinking time into this one.

Chopper

Yeah, basically to make the trailer interesting it's slightly modified from the actual game - wave speeds in the first mode start at 22 and eventually goes as high as 50 in Hyper Hexagonest, but the trailer starts at 30 and goes up to 40 after the one minute mark.

So the game does get that fast eventually, but the first two levels of the game aren't actually that fast. :) Don't worry!

INTERESTING TRIVIA: I made the trailer by setting up a predictable sequence of waves inside the game, and recording it all as one take. That should hopefully say something about how high the game's skill ceiling is...
Woah. Welcome! Thanks for VVVVVV!

And thanks for the headache.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not that impressed by anything but the music. Need to try it hands on. The music can only get me so into the game.

I see the man is here. Loved VVVVVV. Need to try this. Maybe I will wait for the PC release. Hope that's sooner than later.

TerryCavanagh

Neo Member
Thanks for the welcome!

This game is very fundamentally different from VVVVVV, but I'm really proud of it and I hope people get what I'm going for with it :)

kassatsu

Banned
As someone who has gotten over 2min in Hexagon... I badly need this on a platform I own. Can't come to PC fast enough.

VVVVVV is a tidy little masterpiece.

Somewhere in my history of posts, I've said it's my ongoing mission to introduce the game to everyone on the planet.

TerryCavanagh

Neo Member
Maybe it's too soon, but what was your vision for it and what were you hoping players would get out of it?

Basically, I tried to focus on keeping the core game as pure as possible. I wanted to create something with an insanely high skill ceiling - a game that demands to be obsessed over, to be mastered.

There's an ending to Super Hexagon for people who beat the Hyper Hexagonest stage, but I don't expect many people to see it...

Just downloaded here in the UK.

Fuck this. Been playing for 20 minutes, not got a score above 15 seconds. I'm going to bed.

I've had about three or four sessions that long and I'm up to 32s. The leaderboard has Terry at 150s and the next best at 111s. Keep practicing, it does sink in and after the initial hump it becomes very addictive.

ghibli99

Basically, I tried to focus on keeping the core game as pure as possible. I wanted to create something with an insanely high skill ceiling - a game that demands to be obsessed over, to be mastered.

There's an ending to Super Hexagon for people who beat the Hyper Hexagonest stage, but I don't expect many people to see it...
Challenge accepted. :)

Thanks for the feedback, and appreciate you taking the time to post here!

VVVVVV was alright, this looks decent.

Terry, I speak for everyone, thank you for the Cat MMO

I love all your games

LiK

curious, you can easily beat your own game right? i need to know.

TerryCavanagh

Neo Member
PC/MAC versions are coming in a little while! Android version too, maybe :)

curious, you can easily beat your own game right? i need to know.

Yep, of course :) I'm staying off gamecenter for a week to give other people a chance at the highscores, but then I'm gonna go knock everyone off, heh.

ghibli99

Yep, of course :) I'm staying off gamecenter for a week to give other people a chance at the highscores, but then I'm gonna go knock everyone off, heh.
Haha! Excellent. I think this will make for a good experience. Mobile seems like the best platform for it since it's likely something you can get shorts bursts in here and there.

Less than half an hour to go!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sweet. I couldn't find it on the App Store with my phone but I purchased it through iTunes on my PC. Let's do dis.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I just wanted to say that VVVVVV was my game of the year in 2010, and it was really one of the very best games I've played in a long time.

Here's how I reviewed it on GAF:
This is the best platformer released in the last decade. There's absolutely no fat. Mechanics are introduced, tested, refined, developed, plumbed, and discarded within 10 minutes, and it feels totally organic. The open world feels even better than Super Metroid, and the individual world-segments are beautifully self-contained. Every single platforming puzzle works. Of the entire game, there is only one single screen that I feel is suboptimal. It doesn't overstay its welcome; it has about 3-4 hours worth of content, and that's exactly how long it'll take you. Every screen makes your grin wider as you realize that, yes, they did just pull that trick out of the bag. There's something to be said for perfectly executed modesty. What's wonderful is that despite the handful of mechanics, they all descend from one base mechanic--you can flip from ceiling to floor or vice versa but can't change directions during a flip. The crown jewel is an optional sequence called "Veni, Vidi, Vici" which is the single most challenging sequence I've played in a game in years and so so satisfying when you beat it. What's most poignant about the VVV sequence (and thus VVVVVV as a whole) is that the theme of being able to do these amazing space flips but not even make a little hop causes both thematic frustration--I can see that damn shiny trinket, why the hell can't I climb over this block and get there--and puzzle-related frustration. Wonderful.

Thanks again for making such a great game, I know it was a culmination of a lot of hard work for you.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My immediate impression is that this game makes me feel inadequate, but the controls feel very quick and responsive. My failures will be due to only my incompetence.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I love how snappy it is. You can die then retry within a split second, which makes you wanna keep trying and trying.

Oh shit, I passed my record time, but the pressure got to me almost instantly. This is cool.

Only got to like 25 seconds, and I only did it once (best after that is around 18 I think). Really tired at the moment but I'll get back to it tomorrow. Perfect to have on my phone. I like the controls more than PC demo/version I played earlier (acceleration feels different/better).

Top Bottom