• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Hexagon |OT| a VVVVVVery cool Terry Cavanagh game on iOS (PC/Mac later)

Kientin

Trailer sold me, can't wait for the PC version!

Thanks for VVVVVV Terry, I played through it many times and I've managed to sell a couple of my friends on it. Great stuff.

ghibli99

Installing! Didn't realize it'd been so long since I'd purchased an iOS game.

Edit: First try: 8.37 seconds. LOL This is going to be painful...

Edit 2: 19.42. This hooks its claws in you pretty quickly!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
73 seconds on the first level, but I still feel so shitty, lol

This game seems impossible to master

And hyper mode...wtf man

ghibli99

49 seconds. It's weird how you get "locked in" and just breeze through certain sections almost on auto-pilot... and then start a new game and die within 3 seconds. In a way, this very much reminds me of my first experience with Doing Things The Hard Way in VVVVVV... there would be passes where I'd almost make it the whole way, die, start over, and then die another 10 times on the first 2 or 3 screens. It just played weird mental games with me!

Terry, this game is great so far. It's quick, responsive, has effective visuals, and the soundtrack sync is actually helpful in developing tapping rhythms to get through the various corridors.

ghibli99

Just "discovered" you can hug/touch walls, which helps on the fast spinning sections. I thought touching anything meant insta-death.

I tried Hexagoner and Hexagonest. I got a little over 9 seconds on Hexagonest and felt pretty good. LOL

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It feels like the rotation direction affects your turning speed at higher speeds (later in the session or hyper mode). At least it feels like you turn slower if you go against the rotation

ghibli99

Been hyping this tonight to all my friends on Facebook. I have a good number of VVVVVV fans on there, and they're all over this.

Wario, thanks again for this thread.

SmokyDave

I'm torn between loving this game and hating the fact it didn't come out when I was a sugar-fuelled kid. I'm yet to break 20 seconds. I wish there was a sound test so I could listen to the music indefinitely.

Not at all surprised to see Wario in the top 10 on the leaderboards.

Edit: 'line game over begin line game over begin game over begin line game over begin'. Why am I doing this to myself before I've even had my morning coffee?!

japtor

I'm torn between loving this game and hating the fact it didn't come out when I was a sugar-fuelled kid. I'm yet to break 20 seconds. I wish there was a sound test so I could listen to the music indefinitely.

Edit: 'line game over begin line game over begin game over begin line game over begin'. Why am I doing this to myself before I've even had my morning coffee?!
Yeah I wish there was a way to get continuous music and auto restarts (I'm gonna keep playing anyway!) like the Super Gravitron. I asked Terry on Twitter about that before I saw that he was actually right here in the thread.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
There should be a chill out mode maybe. No score, no deaths (maybe you get stunned if you "die"), and make it HUD-less.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Here: http://chipzelmusic.bandcamp.com/album/phonetic-symphony, the music is from chipzel.

:)

Doing terrible as predicted but enjoying it. I need to sit down and get more comfortable with it rather than playing in these really short bursts I've been doing.

I don't know if my reaction to "Triangle" with "What the fuck?" was appropriate or not, but that's exactly how it went down.

Loving the madness of this. We'll see if I have an iPhone in one piece at the end of this. :)

Ninja Dom

Downloading now.

Does Chipzel really use Gameboy's and Gameboy's music creation software to make her tunes? Or she just emulates the sound in super high tec music packages like Logic?

GG-Duo

I am tired of hearing Game Over :( it's gonna haunt my dreams.

this game requires precise reflexes and i'm not sure if i have it...

SmokyDave

Doing terrible as predicted but enjoying it. I need to sit down and get more comfortable with it rather than playing in these really short bursts I've been doing.

Same here, I'm yet to play it in anything approaching 'optimal' surroundings so I'm not going to beat myself up too much. I'll be interested to see how it plays on the iPad too, I've a feeling it might be a smidgen easier.

Absolutely loving it though, it's hypnotic.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
"Veni, Vidi, Vici" and 'I wanna be the guy' in super meat boy are pretty much equally tied for my 'I want to punch a developer' award.

But in a good way. thanks for VVVVV, I'm gonna blind buy this one based off that. Also, double thanks for getting it onto 3ds. I didn't play it on PC for long due to me hating keyboard controls. DS version rocks.

japtor

I kind of want a 3DS version cause the 3D could be pretty crazy, on the other hand it'd probably make me blind.

ArynCrinn

Banned
So far the best of the OST, for me are:

-To The Sky
-Focus
-08 4
-Super Boy of Little Powers (probably the best)

All the others sound a bit same-ish. Love me some chiptunes though! :)

Got through Hexagon with 61-ish seconds I think. Do they all go forever? Dunno if I should go to the next difficulty or "train" on this for awhile.

Booter

best 28.59 after playing for a few minutes
cool game!!

edit: best is 57" in first level. it can be easier or harder depending on when/if you get those 'spiral' sequences where you just hold down one direction and then everything is clear for a sec

tip: just look at the "lane" that the cursor is in and ignore the spinning as best you can

I didn't care much for the Flash version, and I am having trouble getting into the iOS version.

It's a little too fast-paced and frustrating for me.

The iOS version came out nice though. Simple and polished. I like the music too.

ghibli99

The mind games continue. I played a little bit more before going to bed last night, and my eyes would go back and forth between focusing on the pulsating walls moving towards the player and the alternating "lanes" that radiate out to the edge of the screen. On some attempts, seeing the paths I had to take was really easy, while on others my eyes could not separate the two. It started to really frustrate me. For a while I was doing pretty good on each attempt, and then I would get a string of them where I'd die in under 10 seconds.

This game... it made me see spinning shapes when I closed my eyes. :p

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
18.02 :(

I'm enjoying it, but I can feel my blood pressure steadily rising as I fail to improve.

I'm not doing a whole lot better, but one thing I've found that helps is to play a bit on Hexagoner, the hardest difficulty available from the start. I'm hilariously inept at it, but I found myself doing a lot better when I returned to the easiest mode since it felt so slow in comparison.

ghibli99

...and yet I can't stop thinking about it. I haven't tried it on my iPad yet, just iPod Touch. Not sure if it would make a difference - for better or for worse - to play it on the bigger screen.

Dr.Hadji

73 seconds on the first level, but I still feel so shitty, lol

This game seems impossible to master

And hyper mode...wtf man

I'm working on getting beyond 40 seconds on the last hyper level. I've been working at this game for almost 10 hours. Progress feels great until you brush that aside and aim for higher goals.

Top Bottom