• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Hexagon |OT| a VVVVVVery cool Terry Cavanagh game on iOS (PC/Mac later)

Doomboy

Neo Member
Sneakily got this game last week when Terry accidentally released it for a few hours haha...

And the head start means I'm at #5 on the Hexagon leaderboard, 5 places ahead of Wario, yeeeah!

Man, after playing the flash game for so long, getting used to the touch screen controls is tough. It's way faster than I'm used to for touch controls, and I'm used to the feedback of pressing buttons.

I want to play this in my phone, though, so I'm going to stick with it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Here's my path to playing this game.

-Heard about it on NeoGAF (saw iOS only, didn't bother to look into it)
-At work with friend, he tells me to search on youtube for a VVVVVV song)
-I listen to the song(and love it)
-I check for a gameplay video of VVVVVV because I've heard so much about it
-I decide I'm going to buy VVVVVV for my 3DS
-I look through the Terry Cavanaugh youtube and discover the trailer for Super Hexagon
-I'm blown away
-I tell my friend to buy it on his iPad
-We play it
-I fall in love
-I don't own an iOS device
-I'm sad.

Dachande

Terry, you said you weren't going to touch the leaderboards for a week! You were at 150 secs earlier, and now you're on 200! And the person below you still hasn't increased their score from 111 secs!

I call shenanigans!! (Can't crack 50 secs...)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Terry, you said you weren't going to touch the leaderboards for a week! You were at 150 secs earlier, and now you're on 200! And the person below you still hasn't increased their score from 111 secs!

I call shenanigans!! (Can't crack 50 secs...)

Probably accidentally logged on, lol

ghibli99

200 seconds? :|

Wow.

The spirals are fun, although they definitely throw off my concentration for when the real dodging sections follow. Game is evil, but it's so much fun!

Zia

Depressing:breaking a minute on Hexagon and then looking to see that you're not even in the top 100 on the leaderboard.

Yoshiya

Thanks for the welcome!

This game is very fundamentally different from VVVVVV, but I'm really proud of it and I hope people get what I'm going for with it :)

Holy shit! I love VVVVVV, and this too is gloriously masochistic from what I've played so far. Thanks for the great games.

Breaking records = hypertension mode, I wish I could turn off the announcer sometimes, heh
Despite loving the music, I got the farthest today when I was playing with the sound off. Every time I break my record its only by half a second before I die.

john tv

Peeps in the office blaming lack of skill in Super Hexagon on poor controls. Thoughts? Are the controls bad?

Can't see how they could be any better myself, but humor me. What's wrong with them?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Peeps in the office blaming lack of skill in Super Hexagon on poor controls. Thoughts? Are the controls bad?

Can't see how they could be any better myself, but humor me. What's wrong with them?

point them to wario64's high score and shrug

I've played for about 30 minutes, and I have no issues with the controls. But I'm pretty bad, highest score is 18 I think.

edit: At 38 now

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Controls are perfect, if people hate them it's probably cause they don't like touch-only inputs in the first place

The only alternative control I can think of is sliding your finger left and right instead of tapping, which might make the game even harder

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I feel they're quite solid once you realize you should touch the screen for a very short time.

Before doing that though it can seem like the thing swings like crazy, but the reaction time makes a lot of sense when you consider how fast the game gets.

john tv

Controls are perfect, if people hate them it's probably cause they don't like touch-only inputs in the first place

The only alternative control I can think of is sliding your finger left and right instead of tapping, which might make the game even harder
Agreed. It does pretty much exactly what I want it to 100% of the time, which is not something I can say for a lot of iOS games, TBH.

I had issues with the controls at first because I was trying to swipe left and right without thinking. That just feels like how it should play, especially since I always played the PC version with one hand on the arrow keys. This feels like it should be a one-handed game.

Once I got used to using two hands, it felt a lot better. It'd be cool if that was a control option, but not sure how hard that would be to implement.

In can be a little annoying when you know where you want to go and overshoot it, but it's pretty reliable. It doesn't really allow for feathering, but you need to be decisive given the pace anyways.

Just checked the App Store - up to #29. :)

My twitter feed is just exploding with talk about this game. Giant Bomb folks, 8-4 guys, 1up guys, friends, everyone.

Rlan

iGameMusicBUndle.png

musicbundle.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490248

It's begging for an old-school paddle control, but the difficulty obviously wasn't tuned around that and might make it too easy.

My only problem with the touch controls is not with the controls themselves--it's that it probably plays a bit better on the iPad than the iPhone. My big meaty thumbs take up a lot of the iPhone screen and I've occasionally touched part of the bezel instead of the screen in a panic.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just checked the App Store - up to #29. :)

My twitter feed is just exploding with talk about this game. Giant Bomb folks, 8-4 guys, 1up guys, friends, everyone.

Wow, Terry did say it's doing well but that's really, really good. ~14k hits on the trailer too. I'm pretty surprise cause this game is hardcore imo. It's funny especially with all this easy difficulty talk lately, this game feels like a "fuck you" to that stance

Top Bottom