• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPER LTTP: TEKKEN - I was wrong!

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
First a little bit of history. The first time I encountered TEKKEN was in the late 90s at the "arcade" which is Russia's equivalent of a place with a bunch of consoles you can play for an hour with friends or alone after paying the owner. It was TEKKEN 3 which was my first 3D fighting game, I haven't played much of it but it was new cuz before that I only played MK and SF on NES and Mega Drive. The issue was that I just couldn't afford PS1 and later PS2 to get into the TEKKEN more and the only thing I had to remind me of its existence was VHS tape with the old TEKKEN anime and it wasn't very good in comparison to SF stuff.

DHtJOoF.jpeg

Here's the thing, I remembered how TEKKEN 3 was to play, how it worked and after playing SF and MK for years, they were was much more approachable and easy to get into, not to mention a lot more fast, with all those flashy moves, combos, easy to execute attacks, jump attacks and so forth, but I remembered TEKKEN as a much slower, stiff and clunky version of all this and... well I guess it was the reason why I just never bought and played TEKKEN 6 when I had the PS3. I mean, TEKKEN is way different than SF and MK and I'm yet to find out what they did with TEKKEN 8 (reviews on steam are not the most flattering and positive so there's definitely something they did and people don't like it, but whatever, I'll see for myself when the time comes, the game is bought and just waiting to be played), so it's not easy to get into something you've played almost 30 years ago. But I decided that fuck it, it's now or never cuz I started to think that I'm missing something important.

First thing I want to say after playing TEKKEN 7 is that even though there's obviously a lot they did since TEKKEN 3 with mechanics and stuff, the core gameplay is almost exactly the same though and just like I remembered it. It was a pain in the butt to get into, I won't lie, not to mention that after opening the move list of just one character my jaw dropped to the center of the earth cuz of the amount of moves you can do and stuff. It's just ridiculously overwhelming and after that I knew that I just will never learn all this stuff to be even remotely competitive to play online, which is something I can't say about SF and especially MK. TEKKEN has a lot of complex stuff in it and... I just don't think that I'll manage to get good with even one character, let alone 4 or 5, but certainly not cuz of the lack of trying :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The thing about TEKKEN is that beneath all this slow, stiff and dare I say it more tactical combat than in SF and MK, there's so much complexity and learning curve that I don't think any other and for sure Capcom and NR games ever had and I've played most of their fighting games over the years. Now, again, Idk yet what exactly they did with TEKKEN 8 cuz I want to find out on my own, but TEKKEN 7 is an effin' beast of a fighting game the likes of which I honestly never played before and I honestly don't remember TEKKEN 3 being so complex to learn and master. The games aside though and since I haven't played the rest of them but 3, i decided to go and watch the story recap after finishing TEKKEN 7's story (not the fights of individual characters - oh, but I'll get to that in a sec).

Honestly? I never laughed so hard in Idk how long. To say it's ridiculous, hilariously over the top and extremely serious at the same time is to say nothing and I EFFIN' LOVE IT! Like, who would that that underneath all this super serious story about world domination, evil corporations, massacres around the world and destruction hide a very complex fighting game where you can play as Panda or watch a cutscene where a J Pop start (which also happens to know martial arts) teaching Eddy Gordo how to properly say her name, how to dance and move? It's just hilarious and there was even more of this in the past games and I wish I was there to see and experience it as so many other people did, uh, but oh well, it's better late than never I guess.

Cool thing about TEKKEN 7 though is that it looks like they've gone as far as to recreate some of the stuff they did in the past games on the new engine, but CGI cutscenes were left as is, so I guess I sort of also got a chance to experience what I missed, not entirely cuz a lot of stuff related to characters and their stories are not in the game, but still. Do I think the story is good, hahah, FUCK NO:messenger_tears_of_joy: I don't like what they did in TEKKEN 7 when it comes to the story and the reporter stuff - it's just plain bad and awful approach to storytelling, the story itself is more like a 20 min pilot of a the TV show than a well told story with well written and realized characters with well written, delivered motivations etc. and there's a lot of room for improvement here for sure, cuz I trully think that the story in TEKKEN has an enormous potential to be something more, it's just the way they decided to approach story telling in all games is not the way it should be done cuz it's a surface stuff at best which is not realizing the full potential.

So here's hoping that at some point they'll finally deliver a well developed story campaign and at the same time stay true to what TEKKEN is. But even as it is right now which is in "so bad it's good" territory, it's a really fun time still and again, I LOVE it for what it is, you can just turn off your brain and embrace all the stupidity, hilariousness and ridiculousness of everything that is happening, which is fine by me for now. And those character stories and cutscenes in TEKKEN 7 are on the whole other level:messenger_grinning_sweat:, I just wish there was more than just 1 fight and 1 cutscenes though, but I guess it was a cost saving thing for them cuz TEKKEN 7 has A LOT of other shit to play around with and is super content rich. I haven't watched the new anime yet (maye I will) to see if it's better than 1998 movie, so I can't say anything about it.

Anyway, I realized that behind all this stiffness, slower paced combat etc. is I much deeper and complex game I can actually like despite the fact that I'm used to more approachable and easy to learn fighting games, I don't think I will be anything but casual TEKKEN player based on what TEKKEN 7 is and how it works, but maybe it'll change with TEKKEN 8. I already mentioned the music in the the TEKKEN 8 thread so I won't repeat myself here:messenger_relieved:

So, I'm finally into TEKKEN now after almost 30 years and thank fuck for that:messenger_horns::messenger_open_mouth:

Klosshufvud

Tekken is sort of an acquired taste when it comes to higher level of play. I loved it as a kid but fell out of it as a teenager because I didn't have the patience to understand all its intricacies. Going back to it now, I've played it more than ever before. I do regard Tekken as the best fighting game series precisely because of its deceptive depth and how intuitive it is to control.

With that said, I feel like the series peaked at Tekken 5/DR. That game was just absolute insanity in how well made it was. Every single aspect of it is just fighting game perfection. It doesn't matter if you're complete casual or highly competent tournament player, Tekken 5 DR was where it was at. With the newer releases, they've adopted some really bad 2D trends such as comeback ultras and meters and I think those things are absolutely detrimental to that old appeal of Tekken - slow methodical gameplay of poking and wearing down your opponent. There's so much shit that disrespects frame data now. Power crushes, heat smashes, Rage Arts, all those evasive attacks etc etc it can be tiresome on the mind. I also think the overall story direction, art direction and music direction have gone on the wrong path after Tekken 5. Probably due to a new generation of game developers.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I also think the overall story direction, art direction and music direction have gone on the wrong path after Tekken 5. Probably due to a new generation of game developers.
I can't say much about story and stuff cuz I haven't played TEKKEN 5 and DR, but TEKKEN 7 was and is a soft reboot and... they did what they did, which is for sure not the best story content (at least in terms of the way how I see TEKKEN should be in terms of story). But music? Man, can you imagine a better fighting music than this or this godlike breakbeat stuff to immerse you into the over the top and intense af battle at the bottom of the volcano's caldera?

I'm a huge electronic music fan and I love TEKKEN 5 soundtrack to death, which is for sure different than what's in TEKKEN 7 (haven't played TEKKEN 8 yet to compare), but it's honestly one of the best breakbeat stuff I ever listened to in my life over 30+ years and on par (if not better in terms of pacing and more melodic sound) with the Rogue Element, The Crystal Method and other breakbeat legends.

Last edited:

P.Jack

Cool story! I had a friend growing up who moved here from russia in ‘99. He was very into MK, like he had a small notebook with most of the fatalities and secrets meticulously written down. It was amazing, he had even painted some illustrations.

Anyway, I introduced him to TEKKEN since he got a ps1 soon after moving here. He got hooked and was a real talent aswell. He could spend days in practice trying out stuff. Next year I got a PS2 with TEKKEN TAG and he bought one as soon as he had the money.

And this is where my intense relationship with the series really began as we sought out the local community and began competing for real. We where pretty evenly matched, which was great, but he was always one step ahead in execution, learning proper wavedash, consistent ewgf and backdashcancels before me.

Like I said, the guy had talent for real, and not just in TEKKEN. Always thought he’d go places but unfortunately he fell on hard times and I haven’t heard from him in 20 years.

SkylineRKR

Tekken 2 is my fave tekken based on art direction, atmosphere and music. But in reality it plays like trash nowadays with long knockdowns and basically no side stepping.

Gameplay wise peak Tekken for me was 3 and TTT. They kept it simple (though for the time it had a TON of moves and stances), but played much faster than 1 and 2. Tekken 4 I have a soft spot for but objectively its probably bad. Listen to that OST though.

Tekken 5 DR does a lot of things right though, and I am glad I still have my PS3 with the game on it. This is likely the best Tekken and if they built on this one instead of going with T6 the series might've been in a better place during the PS360 gen.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
That animated film is beautiful, but I don't like that Jun, being beautiful, supports Kazuya's idiot... And Paul doesn't come out.

Also, I always dislike Kazuya's mistreatment of Jun... That's why I hate Kazuya.

In my mind, Jun deserves someone better.

And for me, Lei wulong is the perfect match for Jun.

Last edited:

T8SC

I got Tekken 2 with my PS1 back in 1996. It was/is such a great game.

Not played many of them after Tekken 3 though. I was never massively into beat-em-ups but the original 3 Tekken games were special and I much preferred them over Street Fighter & Mortal Kombat from the SNES era.

The intro was great too.

Griffon

For now I enjoy the T8 system better than T7.

T7 was a very stale version of Tekken 5 DR, and that was by no means perfect, just safe. 18 years of that was soul sucking. I'm glad for the changes.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Tekken was a good saga and it was even mature and that was great, but starting with Tekken 5, it became a slapstick fest.

With Paul playing an extremely cool character in Tekken 3 and 4, he became the jester of the saga.

Which I don't forgive the creator for, nor for the fact of what they did to Xiaoyu, who is desperate for an unfriendly person who is Jin.

now see this buffoonery

Tekken was a good saga and it was even mature and that was great, but starting with Tekken 5, it became a slapstick fest.

With Paul playing an extremely cool character in Tekken 3 and 4, he became the jester of the saga.

Which I don't forgive the creator for, nor for the fact of what they did to Xiaoyu, who is desperate for an unfriendly person who is Jin.

now see this buffoonery

Paul was a joke in every installment excluding 1 (Kazuya rival) and 4 (existential crisis for bum). He never got to the tournament in 2. His ending in 3 had him pulled over by a cop after leaving the tournament early post-Ogre win. Granted, aliens ending in 5 is a new level of stupid but his ending in Tekken 6 is comedic greatness. Only ending on par is Ganryu's Tekken 5 ending. His supporting role in Tekken 8's Law ending is also fantastic.

P.S. Xiaoyu is almost exclusively defined by her simping for Jin.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Out of all the installments in the franchise you choose Tekken 7...
team america vomit GIF
I don't want to deal with emulation or buy ancient consoles to play older games. If only Namco could've ported them all to PC and modern consoles as a collection of the whole sage incl. 8.

I don't want to deal with emulation or buy ancient consoles to play older games. If only Namco could've ported them all to PC and modern consoles as a collection of the whole sage incl. 8.
Congratulations! You are playing the crappiest installment since the original experimental entry because you are too lazy.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You are playing the crappiest installment since the original experimental entry because you are too lazy.
Laziness have nothing to do with the simple fact that I just don't want to play old games via piracy or buying old consoles and games for them. Moreover, this train have passed long time ago and as I've said, I've played TEKKEN 3 in the late 90s.

I'm totally fine with what is available now and it matters not whether you like it or not tbh✋:messenger_relieved:

Last edited:
Top Bottom