• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Murrah

Banned
I don't know why I keep checking this thread, it just hurts my heart with desire

Any word on the bosses though? I won't get my hopes up for anything approaching the genius of NSMBW's last boss, but as long as they're not as terrible as NSMBDS's I'll be happy

Mik2121

@MUWANdo said:
I think you were permanently locked out of earning rainbow stars in NSMBWii just by letting the Super Guide block appear, so that could be the case here too, but who knows. It's not a big deal, just curious.
Uhm. That thing (at least one of them) shows up after dying 5 times on a level. On the first 7 worlds it's easy not to die 5 times, but on the last world it can be fairly difficult if you are trying to get all the medals.

But I don't think that's the case. Hopefully it isn't, anyway.

@MUWANdo

Banned
In NSMBWii you could just cheese it by exiting and re-entering the map before you triggered the Super Guide, I don't doubt that you could do the same thing here, if it matters.

Murrah said:
ny word on the bosses though? I won't get my hopes up for anything approaching the genius of NSMBW's last boss, but as long as they're not as terrible as NSMBDS's I'll be happy

There are clips of the final boss on Youtube. You won't be disappointed.

Mik2121

@MUWANdo said:
In NSMBWii you could just cheese it by exiting and re-entering the map before you triggered the Super Guide, I don't doubt that you could do the same thing here, if it matters.

There are clips of the final boss on Youtube. You won't be disappointed.
Uhm, it could be. I will see if I can find something online.

Mik2121

Welp, I just found this:

★:表コース初回クリア(W8-城をクリアしてピーチ姫を助ける)
★★:表コースをW1-1~W8-城まで全面クリア
★★★:裏コース初回クリア(S8-城クリア後にW8-城2をクリアする)
★★★★:コース上のメダル285枚コンプリート
★★★★★:表裏の全コースで金の旗(1upゴール)達成+マリオとルイージで全コースをクリア(上画面の右下に旗、M、L3つの文字が付く)

Which translated means (SPOILERS):

★:All 'front' levels cleared (Finish the Castle in W8 and save the princess)
★★:All the 'front' levels cleared from W1-1 to W8-Castle.
★★★:All the special levels cleared (finishing W8-Castle 2 after W8-Castle)
★★★★:Collect all 285 medals from the levels.
★★★★★:All ´front´and special levels completed with Golden flags + finishing the game with Mario and Luigi. DAMN!.

I'll get at it now.

When you get all 5 stars, you also unlock
an special stage that's apparently the most difficult one in the whole game, by far.

john tv

Mik - (big spoilers for those who haven't finished the game)
Do you have to beat the entire game (both sets of eight worlds) once before you can get the M+L icons to appear? I'm on the very last stage now, with all star medals, all gold flags in the first 8 worlds, and several levels beat with both M&L, but I see no M or L icons anywhere near the golden flags.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Welp, I just found this:

★:表コース初回クリア(W8-城をクリアしてピーチ姫を助ける)
★★:表コースをW1-1~W8-城まで全面クリア
★★★:裏コース初回クリア(S8-城クリア後にW8-城2をクリアする)
★★★★:コース上のメダル285枚コンプリート
★★★★★:表裏の全コースで金の旗(1upゴール)達成+マリオとルイージで全コースをクリア(上画面の右下に旗、M、L3つの文字が付く)

★:All 'front' levels cleared (Finish the Castle in W8 and save the princess)
★★:All the 'front' levels cleared from W1-1 to W8-Castle.
★★★:All the special levels cleared (finishing W8-Castle 2 after W8-Castle)
★★★★:Collect all 285 medals from the levels.
★★★★★:All ´front´and special levels completed with Golden flags + finishing the game with Mario and Luigi. DAMN!.

I'll get at it now.

an special stage that's apparently the most difficult one in the whole game, by far.

Sick. Thanks for digging this up!

Mik2121

john tv said:
Mik - (big spoilers for those who haven't finished the game)
Do you have to beat the entire game (both sets of eight worlds) once before you can get the M+L icons to appear? I'm on the very last stage now, with all star medals, all gold flags in the first 8 worlds, and several levels beat with both M&L, but I see no M or L icons anywhere near the golden flags.
Uhm.. nope.
Just finish the main worlds and they should show up. Maybe you need to finish also the first world of the special set to unlock Luigi, but you already did so..

You're looking at the bottom right of the top screen, right? It's weird that it doesn't show up. You should be able to see a red circle with an M and a green circle with an L on it.

john tv

Mik2121 said:
Uhm.. nope.
Just finish the main worlds and they should show up. Maybe you need to finish also the first world of the special set to unlock Luigi, but you already did so..

You're looking at the bottom right of the top screen, right? It's weird that it doesn't show up. You should be able to see a red circle with an M and a green circle with an L on it.
They didn't show up for me until beating the final final boss as both Mario and Luigi. Wasn't there until I saw the credits with Luigi, basically. (Even when I had every medal, they weren't there.) But anyway they're there now so it's all good. Four stars on the save file, but getting that fifth star is gonna be a bitch...

Mik2121

john tv said:
They didn't show up for me until beating the final final boss as both Mario and Luigi. Wasn't there until I saw the credits with Luigi, basically. (Even when I had every medal, they weren't there.) But anyway they're there now so it's all good. Four stars on the save file, but getting that fifth star is gonna be a bitch...
Yeah.. I can feel your pain.

I'm clearing every stage now and getting all the gold flags. I'm all the way up to World 7 everything cleared and I know a bunch of the Special levels already have the gold flag, but having to clear all again with Luigi will be a pain. At least we don't need to collect the medals again, so we can just rush through the levels :p

Well, crap.

なお、一度も5ミスしないでクリアすれば、☆は虹色に輝きます。

Translation:
Now, if you clear the game without dying 5 times in a level, the stars will be rainbow-colored.

Mik2121

Cheesemeister said:
Well, crap.

Translation:
Now, if you clear the game without dying 5 times in a level, the stars will be rainbow-colored.
Yeah... I don't think I'll be doing everything from the beginning even though I really enjoyed the game. But another 16 or 17 hours just to get the stars to be rainbow-colored.... I will just unlock the last stage because I wanna see it, but that's it.

Which kind feels like I'm still not getting the absolute 100% so I might as well just give up now :/

Mik2121

Welp.. all the way to
S3-1 completed with Mario and Luigi, and with the golden flag. Still got another 5 worlds to go, argh...

But this will be it for today I think. Gotta do other things so hopefully tomorrow I can complete it finally.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
Well, crap.

Translation:

Ah, so it is the same as NSMB Wii. Cool that it's been cleared up, thanks all.

Punisher

Neo Member
Today I got my first streetpass experience and I found out there were 2 3d modes ><

I like the deep mode too.

I already need a part 2 in this series and I didn't even clear part 1 yet.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Not really digging this game, was expecting more. Or at least more "fun". Good thing Layton is on standby on my DS!

Mik2121

Lupin3 said:
Not really digging this game, was expecting more. Or at least more "fun". Good thing Layton is on standby on my DS!
Uhm, how far are you into the game right now? And what were you expecting?

Mik2121

Yes! Finished all the stages
with Mario and Luigi and got all the gold flags. I just unlocked the last level and got the 5 stars above my file save. Yay!! :)

Also, the last stage is damn difficult :O

PunchyBoy

Banned
Just a question for those who finished the game (8 worlds + All special stages), how long did it takes ? I mean, can you check your Activity Log to see how much time did you spent on that game ?

Mik2121

PunchyBoy said:
Just a question for those who finished the game (8 worlds + All special stages), how long did it takes ? I mean, can you check your Activity Log to see how much time did you spent on that game ?
As far as I can remember...

First 8 worlds - Around 6 hours.
Next 8 worlds - All up to 14 hours.
All medals, all gold flags and complete with Mario and Luigi - All together around 18 hours.
All included last hidden level - I will let you know when I can complete it, lol..

Wow.. I almost threw my 3DS outside the window because of the last level...

WillyFive

World 3-1 felt a lot like a Mario 64 stage, which is good. You were climbing this tower, and you could go inside of it through doors and rooms, with hidden holes and platforming involving Thwomps. The new kind of Thwomp for this game is really cool, since it mimics your actions.

You no longer have a time limit underwater, unlike past 3D Mario games.

The music sounds a great deal like Mario Party 1, which makes me kinda happy. Especially when you clear a level, it sounds just like when you win a minigame in Mario Party 1.

And those bee enemies are straight out of Banjo-Kazooie. And those bubbles in the air (watch in 3D) in one of the World 3 levels give the game that surreal feeling some people here wanted.

The art style itself has less contrast than the Wii games, which I guess looks nicer and softer. Makes it look slightly more stylistic than the Galaxy and NSMB games (which is not saying much considering how little the art style has changed with Mario games recently).

Mik2121

BTW, I just checked and my playtime is 18 hours (19 but my gf has played for at least 1 hour). Add another hour of trying to finish the goddamn last level, and that's how long it takes to finish the game 100% for real, this time.

That includes (full game content spoiler):

- All 8 Main and 8 Special worlds completed with both Mario and Luigi.
- All medals (285) from the levels.
- All golden flags.
- All 12 postcards.
- Final Level completed.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So, the Mystery Boxes contain Star Medals of their own, but finding/collecting them all isn't essential if you wanna unlock all the levels? I wonder how many of them exist, and whether you can access them all without StreetPass.

WillyFive

Andrex said:
Why spoiler all that?

1343524-lulzspoilers_1_.png

....also, some people may not like being spoiled.

Ragus

Banned
A quick question about those
Special Worlds

Are they basically the same levels but with, for example: more enemies etc.?

Mik2121

Ragus said:
A quick question about those
Special Worlds

Are they basically the same levels but with, for example: more enemies etc.?
Nope. The closest I've seen to being the 'same' level as the original was one where every moving part was accelerated and the enemies changed. Otherwise, you usually get different paths, new areas to access, more enemies and different items. In some cases, the levels don't look nowhere close to the original.
And there are a few levels that are completely original, too.

But really, it plays so different that it doesn't feel like you're replaying the same stuff at all.

Ragus

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Nope. The closest I've seen to being the 'same' level as the original was one where every moving part was accelerated and the enemies changed. Otherwise, you usually get different paths, new areas to access, more enemies and different items. In some cases, the levels don't look nowhere close to the original.
And there are a few levels that are completely original, too.

But really, it plays so different that it doesn't feel like you're replaying the same stuff at all.

Sweet. Thanks for the reply.

daakusedo

I didn't want to know about the postgame, but it sounds really cool.
I ordered the game on zavvi, so at least I'll have some time only with zelda...

RedSwirl

People who have played this, is it seriously worth getting a 3DS for? I've been trying to hold out for the redesign but we're talking 12 months at least.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
RedSwirl said:
People who have played this, is it seriously worth getting a 3DS for? I've been trying to hold out for the redesign but we're talking 12 months at least.
Don't know if you have ever played OOT, if not... this is definitely a game worth buying a 3DS for.

RedSwirl

marc^o^ said:
Don't know if you have ever played OOT, if not... this is definitely a game worth buying a 3DS for.
How many console gamers have seriously not played OOT? How is OOT 3D though?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
RedSwirl said:
Most people under 20 may have missed it?

The remake is great, so far that's the best 3DS game. The Mario combo will certainly help make this handle a must buy, we'll know soon enough.

RedSwirl said:

Didn't you create a thread on this very same topic already? If I'm confusing you with someone else, then sorry.

Luckily I have a nephew that has 3DS. I can buy the game and borrow his 3DS.

Sinthetic

RedSwirl said:

Just buy it, keep it in great condition and trade it in when the redesign comes out.

Mik,
are there time trials for every stage?

RedSwirl

marc^o^ said:
Most people under 20 may have missed it?

I feel so old reading that.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Didn't you create a thread on this very same topic already? If I'm confusing you with someone else, then sorry.

Luckily I have a nephew that has 3DS. I can buy the game and borrow his 3DS.

Yes but I feel so conflicted right now, and didn't know there was already an OT when I posted it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mik2121 said:
Welp, I just found this:

&#9733;&#65306;&#34920;&#12467;&#12540;&#12473;&#21021;&#22238;&#12463;&#12522;&#12450;(W8-&#22478;&#12434;&#12463;&#12522;&#12450;&#12375;&#12390;&#12500;&#12540;&#12481;&#23019;&#12434;&#21161;&#12369;&#12427;)
&#9733;&#9733;&#65306;&#34920;&#12467;&#12540;&#12473;&#12434;W1-1&#65374;W8-&#22478;&#12414;&#12391;&#20840;&#38754;&#12463;&#12522;&#12450;
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#65306;&#35023;&#12467;&#12540;&#12473;&#21021;&#22238;&#12463;&#12522;&#12450;(S8-&#22478;&#12463;&#12522;&#12450;&#24460;&#12395;W8-&#22478;2&#12434;&#12463;&#12522;&#12450;&#12377;&#12427;)
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#65306;&#12467;&#12540;&#12473;&#19978;&#12398;&#12513;&#12480;&#12523;285&#26522;&#12467;&#12531;&#12503;&#12522;&#12540;&#12488;
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#65306;&#34920;&#35023;&#12398;&#20840;&#12467;&#12540;&#12473;&#12391;&#37329;&#12398;&#26071;(1up&#12468;&#12540;&#12523;)&#36948;&#25104;&#65291;&#12510;&#12522;&#12458;&#12392;&#12523;&#12452;&#12540;&#12472;&#12391;&#20840;&#12467;&#12540;&#12473;&#12434;&#12463;&#12522;&#12450;(&#19978;&#30011;&#38754;&#12398;&#21491;&#19979;&#12395;&#26071;&#12289;M&#12289;L3&#12388;&#12398;&#25991;&#23383;&#12364;&#20184;&#12367;)

&#9733;&#65306;All 'front' levels cleared (Finish the Castle in W8 and save the princess)
&#9733;&#9733;&#65306;All the 'front' levels cleared from W1-1 to W8-Castle.
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#65306;All the special levels cleared (finishing W8-Castle 2 after W8-Castle)
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#65306;Collect all 285 medals from the levels.
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#65306;All ´front´and special levels completed with Golden flags + finishing the game with Mario and Luigi. DAMN!.

I'll get at it now.

Yessssssssssssssssssssss. Going to do all of this.

Sianos

There isn't really and huge glaring flaw (lack of backlight, clunky design) that a redesign would fix. Yeah, it might have a bigger screen and a slightly bigger battery, but it'll definitely be more expensive and I really doubt they'll intergrate Frankenstick. It'll probably stay the Nintendo peripheral that's used for a few games but never ecomes close to the standard.

If there's games you like, go for it. It's like skipping the PS3 because you know a PS4 is coming one day.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
An early redesign would be a desperate measure to get sales quickly.

What can they add in a redesign that would make more people want to buy the console? Would a second stick be enough of a killer app for the general population (aka not exclusively the most hardcore of the hardcore) to increase sales significantly, especially with a relatively cheap add-on to achieve exactly that incoming?

daakusedo

What I don't know is what will they do about the add on when they'll release an new model, and if it has a significant change in size.
It's not adjustable and if they put a second stick, I doubt the new RL buttons will make it.

And super mario 3d land come to me

RedSwirl said:
200m - 7m?

What I don't know is what will they do about the add on when they'll release an new model, and if it has a significant change in size.
It's not adjustable and if they put a second stick, I doubt the new RL buttons will make it.
A wild guess would be that they will release two models, a pro one with stick integrated, a regular with nothing integrated.

Less wilder guess is that they will only release a non-integrated version.\

A less wilder guess, but one that probably won't happen, is that they will release an integrated version for now for core gamers, and continue to sell the current model as the normal model, until the revision after that when another non-pro new model will come out, and so on

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I think any sense of a redesign will not come until next year's E3. Nintendo seem content on pushing out the software up until Kid Icarus. Few months after that then I can imagine some rumblings about it.

Anyway this is derailing the topic slightly though in no fault of our own. Game still doesn't come out for another week for some people.

Top Bottom