• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Socreges said:
Lupin3, you say you're halfway through? What did you think about the general design of levels 2-2 to 2-6 where
the game focuses on much faster and linear gameplay than the rest? Did you like that direction? Should there have been more of that?

Maybe a little, didn't really think about it back then. Had to replay 2-6 right now to remember (damn Layton) since I haven't played the game for a couple of days.

Not the biggest fan of 2-2 though.

Mik2121

Lupin3 said:
Halfway through. Was expecting to enjoy it more, like I enjoyed Mario 64. It's just not happening! The controls are nothing more than ok and the level design is a little boring.
Halfway through as in, Already finished the first 8 worlds? Or halfway through the first 8 worlds? Because those aren't challenging AT ALL.

Just saying...

Socreges

Banned
Lupin3 said:
Maybe a little, didn't really think about it back then. Had to replay 2-6 right now to remember (damn Layton) since I haven't played the game for a couple of days.

Not the biggest fan of 2-2 though.
I actually made that up. Those levels are not any faster or more linear. But I'm glad you liked the non-existent change in direction.

ENTRAPMENT

Lupin3

Socreges said:
I actually made that up. Those levels are not any faster or more linear. But I'm glad you liked the non-existent change in direction.

ENTRAPMENT

Whatever you want to call it, 2-6, and the other boss stages (so far) are not really like the ordinary levels.

Gosh, it hurts that much, really?

Truth101 said:
Why do you think we wouldn't get it?
Because it's November and they haven't said anything yet? Though I suppose they could slip it in, but you'd think they would have said something by now.

Lupin3

Socreges said:
Just wanted to have some fun with you. Your unique opinions and defensiveness made you an interesting subject.

Defensive for not enjoying Mario 3D as much as the N mob, you mean?

Truth101

Banned
Chet Rippo said:
Because it's November and they haven't said anything yet? Though I suppose they could slip it in, but you'd think they would have said something by now.

It doesn't need to be announced that far in advance of launch. It all depends on when NoA plans on releasing, if they do plan on it.

Lupin3 said:

You don't enjoy it, fine. But, resorting to generalizing a group of people for enjoying a game is defensive and childish.

Lupin3

Chet Rippo said:

Looks like you can preorder it in EU at least, for release in December.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lupin3 said:

What N mob do you keep constantly referencing? You've basically been talking with like one person this whole time, and he's been completely level-headed too (instead of say, lobbing vague insults around.)

Lupin3

Truth101 said:
You don't enjoy it, fine. But, resorting to generalizing a group of people for enjoying a game is defensive and childish.

Oh, I'm not generalizing a group of people that like the game. I'm generalizing a group of people that always seems to have a problem with other opionions about their favorite games, not very uncommon when it comes to Nintendo games for some reason.

You're free to like the game as much as you want to, but really, there will always be people with other opinions. They don't dislike you at all.

Thing is, I'm not having that much fun with 3D Land, and that's it. No more, no less. If people want to have a serious discussion about it, fine, but talking about killing themselves, alternate crazy dimensions and having fun with the "subject", then I'm not game.

Erethian

Agent Unknown said:
I'm with no "mob" other than the kind who light and raise torches on behalf of fantastic gameplay. But no worries, I won't burn your village to the ground. To each their own and all.

Right, you're clearly a Nintendrone.
I'm joking.

But I know of plenty of people who didn't really like Mario Galaxy. Either because they aren't Mario fans to begin with, or can only enjoy 2D Mario.

Also Lupin3 I'd be interested in hearing more detailed impressions. Considering you seem to be enjoying it a lot less than other J-Gaffers, would be nice to get a different point of view.

Socreges

Banned
Lupin3 said:
That's pretty much my point. You resorted to "N mob" after one or two non-receptive replies (more to do with your unique Mario preferences, seems like). That's pretty telling.

Lupin3

Erethian said:
Also Lupin3 I'd be interested in hearing more detailed impressions. Considering you seem to be enjoying it a lot less than other J-Gaffers, would be nice to get a different point of view.

If I dare to share...

Well, mainly it's the level design, but since I haven't played all of the maps I can't say it's not getting better. Maybe it is. They often feel, well, uninspiring?!

The controls are fine, but a little slow when jumping. In my opinion.

EDIT: Not a fan of the camera either. Sometimes it's to close, and sometimes not far from straight above you. Not being able to control the camera freely feels a little weird. Or maybe I've missed something here? You can only make it look slightly to your sides. /EDIT

The overall production value is really high though, and die hard fans of Mario will probably like it a lot more than me. If you think you'll like it, you probably will. I wasn't sure, and now I know.

Still, it's a lot better than most of the games available on 3DS today.

Lupin3

Socreges said:
That's pretty much my point. You resorted to "N mob" after one or two non-receptive replies (more to do with your unique Mario preferences, seems like). That's pretty telling.

And you're saying that your reply was serious?
If you wanna discuss the game and not making jokes, I'm all ears. And I'm serious about that, I actually don't hate the game and will finish it!

Lupin3 said:
Oh, I'm not generalizing a group of people that like the game. I'm generalizing a group of people that always seems to have a problem with other opionions about their favorite games, not very uncommon when it comes to Nintendo games for some reason.

So you naively think it is just Nintendo fans who defend their platform of choice and no one does it for Sony or Microsoft??? You are Naive or just hating on Nintendo.

Lupin3

EvilDick34 said:
So you naively think it is just Nintendo fans who defend their platform of choice and no one does it for Sony or Microsoft??? You are Naive or just hating on Nintendo.

Did I write that?

Mik2121

Jeez... guys, stop it.

If he isn't enjoying the game all that much, it's alright. I didn't enjoy Battlefield 3 and I don't think that's a problem.
On the other side, a bunch of us that are way into the game (or 100% finished it like me) really enjoyed the game. It has it's ups and downs like every other game, and some things like the first levels aren't the most challenging and fun ever, but it gets (MUCH) better, at least in my opinion.

As for the camera, I also felt it got on the way a couple times, but really, there's nothing you can really do with the few buttons we got on the console, and 99% of the time the camera works just fine.

Lupin3

Mik2121 said:
Jeez... guys, stop it.

If he isn't enjoying the game all that much, it's alright. I didn't enjoy Battlefield 3 and I don't think that's a problem.
On the other side, a bunch of us that are way into the game (or 100% finished it like me) really enjoyed the game. It has it's ups and downs like every other game, and some things like the first levels aren't the most challenging and fun ever, but it gets (MUCH) better, at least in my opinion.

As for the camera, I also felt it got on the way a couple times, but really, there's nothing you can really do with the few buttons we got on the console, and 99% of the time the camera works just fine.

1. Thank you!

2. I really hope it gets better, and sure, from 4-X it's starting to look up a bit! Hopefully it will continue like that.

Truth101 said:

yeah, well, this dogpile is mob behavior, don't you think?

Erethian

Mik2121 said:
Jeez... guys, stop it.

Yeah, have to agree with this.

When someone can't go into a thread and express a negative opinion about a game they've played without fear of being dogpiled, it lowers the quality of discussion. Not to say that was happening here in a big way, but still.

Also Lupin3 I wonder if some of the problems you're having with the level design are down to this being made by the Galaxy team. The locked (or mostly locked) camera is a thing of their's too.

Lupin3

Erethian said:
Also Lupin3 I wonder if some of the problems you're having with the level design are down to this being made by the Galaxy team. The locked (or mostly locked) camera is a thing of their's too.

I actually didn't know that, but maybe there's something to it. I can't remember that much from SMG though since I only played it for 5-10 hours right after the japanese release. Was pretty bored back then, but might give SMG2 a try some time in the future.

I'm thinking it might the platform itself as well. This game might better suit my taste on a tv with a real controller in my hands, but I'll probably never know! :)

Anyway, it's looking a little brighter now. Have been playing for a while as we speak and will soon enter 6-X.

nickcv

regarding the white 3DS bundle in europe:
is it going to be a special release thing?
we'll be able to buy the white 3DS without the game?
will the bundle be around xmas as well or is just there for the launch of the game?

i'm asking because my bf wants to buy it for me for xmas but he cannot afford it right now...

dq2bf6.jpg

Yes. Bye now.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lord Ghirahim said:
dq2bf6.jpg

Yes. Bye now.
OK, I absolutely detest those "recyclable" cases with holes poked through the plastic, but THAT is the single most creative use of those holes that I've seen to date. Very cool.

Mik2121

Lord Ghirahim said:
Should I turn off the game every time I die? Or am I being paranoid? Is anything missable? I need a spoiler-free answer ;//
If you think you're going to have fun doing that, go ahead. There's one (only visual) thing you will miss if you die more than 5 times. I personally don't think it's worth it but hey..

The visual thing is related to your save card. Apparently same stuff as NSMBWii, I think.

Mik2121 said:
If you think you're going to have fun doing that, go ahead. There's one (only visual) thing you will miss if you die more than 5 times. I personally don't think it's worth it but hey..

The visual thing is related to your save card. Apparently same stuff as NSMBWii, I think.

I see. I'll try to not suck as much as possible. 5 times is pretty strict though.

zigg

Thoraxes said:
You've been raising her correctly if she came to that decision on her own.
Hooray, I'm a good parent!

dark10x said:
OK, I absolutely detest those "recyclable" cases with holes poked through the plastic, but THAT is the single most creative use of those holes that I've seen to date. Very cool.
NCL has been doing that for a number of games in Japan.

NOA has not... and I hear this is one of those cases.

zigg

Effect said:
There are no preorder bonuses for this game at any stores outside of GameStop right?

I hope they actually have the thing. I haven't used GS in ages, but I had credit this time. I recall having serious issues with preorder bonuses years back. Most often the employees simply claimed to have no knowledge of the bonus.

zigg

MidnightScott said:
Anyway, there are pictures floating around saying that it's smaller than the other 3DS colors, but then the 2nd picture shows it's bigger. Wtf...
From your link:

To all english speaking people out there:
Since our images are currently roaming around the world and especially on international bords is mentioned that the white 3DS would be smaller than the other colors, we want to take this opportunity to deny these rumors. Just as we would make no fake pictures on the net. The white 3DS is as big as the other versions
I would not expect it to change in size at all. How would it work with the second stick attachment if they made it as small as those pictures appear to make it?

zigg said:
From your link:

I would not expect it to change in size at all. How would it work with the second stick attachment if they made it as small as those pictures appear to make it?

Wow I didn't even scroll down past the last picture, fail. Thanks for pointing it out for me lol.

zigg said:
I hope they actually have the thing. I haven't used GS in ages, but I had credit this time. I recall having serious issues with preorder bonuses years back. Most often the employees simply claimed to have no knowledge of the bonus.

When I reserved the game last week at GS, the guy who helped me literally told me if I get the game from someone other than him to be on top of it because his manager and the other employees are completely clueless about preorder bonuses and often only start looking for the boxes while people are arriving for their pick ups and often act like they can't find them. When I came in to pick up my Metroid Other M preorder over a year ago, after paying for the game the girl just stood staring at me (never greeted me and was just rude the whole time). I then politely mentioned, "Oh btw there's a preorder bonus with this." The girl then says in a dry sarcastic tone, "Oh yeah....I forgot about THAT," Then walks to the back of the store, comes back and with a flick of her wrist she casually tosses the art folio pack onto the counter in front of me. I was so stunned I couldn't believe it, so I just sarcastically said "SORRY that you're having a bad day" and left. I called one of the managers later and complained, he encouraged to complain to their corporate (which I should have but never did due to some other things I had to deal with), fortunately she was eventually fired.

Effect

Boney said:
what's with the new nintendo ads that do nothing to me
The commercials are boring but at least they gets the point across of what the game will actually be like. Which I is pretty important.

dark10x said:

Most, if not all, 1st party 3DS games have little pictures in those holes. It's a shame NOA doesn't follow suit, even if it is a pointless thing to do.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
ITT: Japan humps the rest of the world again: NA - for 10 days straight, PAL - +5UP, Aussies.. Ah, forget it.

All done with everything:
Worlds 1 to 8 and Specials 1 to 8, cleared each stage with both Mario and Luigi, all gold flags, all star coins, time trials set, and final stage equally cleared. Five stars on the save file, not rainbow-colored

Total time: 19:36.

Best time trial:
World 7-1, 8 seconds

Top Bottom