• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

speedpop said:
I think any sense of a redesign will not come until next year's E3. Nintendo seem content on pushing out the software up until Kid Icarus. Few months after that then I can imagine some rumblings about it.

Anyway this is derailing the topic slightly though in no fault of our own. Game still doesn't come out for another week for some people.
I doubt a redesign being introduced in the E3, I am almost sure it won't; Next E3 will be dedicated to Wii U

Jocchan said:
An early redesign would be a desperate measure to get sales quickly.

What can they add in a redesign that would make more people want to buy the console? Would a second stick be enough of a killer app for the general population (aka not exclusively the most hardcore of the hardcore) to increase sales significantly, especially with a relatively cheap add-on to achieve exactly that incoming?
A better (possibly OLED) screen. Playing DS games on the 3DS makes me realize how washed-out the screens are compared to the XL.

Mik2121

Man, the last stage is so damn unforgiving. I have lost about 60 lives already,
trying to beat it with Luigi. I will try with Mario and also grabbing some Tanooki suit on the way

What sucks about the last stage is that (SPOILERS!)
there are absolutely no items to use if you get hit, so if you become small you're absolutely out of luck, and there are TONS of obstacles that can hurt you during the second half. The first half is just all floating blocks so if you make a jump badly, you just die and back to the beginning. There's no checkpoint either, and it's pretty damn long...

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, who is the final-final boss?

Is it Dry Bowser in all the Special Fortresses?

BlueMagic

So what about difficulty? Generally speaking, is it an easy game? It sure as hell looked easy on some of the trailers released.

EDIT: Oh, I thought this was already released on NA.

NOOOOOOOOO! I finally read a real spoiler :(((((

that is your fault for spoiler tagging trivial info that made me doubt if you really know where to use the spoiler :(

So what about difficulty? Generally speaking, is it an easy game? It sure as hell looked easy on some of the trailers released.
just don't read the spoiler, but:

Man, the last stage is so damn unforgiving. I have lost about 60 lives already,
seems at least at some point it will get a bit hard...

KarmaCow

Cheesemeister said:
Well, crap.

なお、一度も5ミスしないでクリアすれば、☆は虹色に輝きます。

Translation:
Now, if you clear the game without dying 5 times in a level, the stars will be rainbow-colored.

I don't remember how it worked in NSMBWii, but say you died 3 times before completing a level, then come back later and die another 3 times just messing around, does that not let you get the rainbow stars?

zigg

BowieZ said:
My daughter has one of those, but her DS Lite. Luigi version, because she's a Luigi fan :)

KarmaCow said:
I don't remember how it worked in NSMBWii, but say you died 3 times before completing a level, then come back later and die another 3 times just messing around, does that not let you get the rainbow stars?
IIRC, that didn't count; you had to
reload your save
if you screwed up.

I don't see why this is a spoiler. This is a piece of information that I think lots of people would like to know going in, since if they're not aware of it, they can potentially not get a reward.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jocchan said:
An early redesign would be a desperate measure to get sales quickly.

What can they add in a redesign that would make more people want to buy the console? Would a second stick be enough of a killer app for the general population (aka not exclusively the most hardcore of the hardcore) to increase sales significantly, especially with a relatively cheap add-on to achieve exactly that incoming?

Did the SP need a redesign? Arguably no, but that didn't stop Nintendo.

Did the Lite need a redesign? Same deal.

There's still stuff to be refined. Second stick by default would be a pretty huge deal... fixing the screen scratching issue, and refining the design (because while the 3DS looks good from some angles, it's hideous DS Phat-ish from others...) would also make it worth it. Then there's the more superficial stuff they could do, like increasing the internal storage space.

Plus a 3DS "rebranding" might be just what it needs. But it won't happen before E3 I'm pretty sure. The new price will let them coast way past the holidays.

Andrex said:
Did the SP need a redesign? Arguably no, but that didn't stop Nintendo.

Did the Lite need a redesign? Same deal.

There's still stuff to be refined. Second stick by default would be a pretty huge deal... fixing the screen scratching issue, and refining the design (because while the 3DS looks good from some angles, it's hideous DS Phat-ish from others...) would also make it worth it. Then there's the more superficial stuff they could do, like increasing the internal storage space.

Plus a 3DS "rebranding" might be just what it needs. But it won't happen before E3 I'm pretty sure. The new price will let them coast way past the holidays.
Plus, get rid of the hideous two tone colouring system. It's terrible.

I'm disappointed that we never got a downloadable demo of SM3DL. I'm tempted to go to Best Buy every day for the next week to play the demo.

For those fortunate importers who have already beaten the game, one question I'm very keen on is this: unlike other 3D Mario games, can I take my powerups anywhere I want? As an example, if I survive a level with the Boomerang Suit, can I try to take it to a previous stage and use it on Tanooki Bowser?

Kyzer

Banned
Tried the demo real quick at Best Buy.

Gotta say. I was honestly really happy to see that the controls arent instantly too simple. Theres enough depth to have JUST enough of a learning curve that I get that "I must master this" feeling. I cant wait to have the game and get good so I can dash through the stages like I did in Galaxy. It felt like this really was Galaxy compressed and perfected. It is less exploratory (at least the first level lol) but much more speed-run friendly, which honestly, was the bulk of the fun of Galaxy for me.

Agent Unknown said:
For those fortunate importers who have already beaten the game, one question I'm very keen on is this: unlike other 3D Mario games, can I take my powerups anywhere I want? As an example, if I survive a level with the Boomerang Suit, can I try to take it to a previous stage and use it on Tanooki Bowser?

Yes, this was discussed in Iwata Asks.

Forkball

This is the first time ever where a new Mario platformer is coming out and I don't have the system it's for. I sicken myself.

Penguin

6313244048_3146089c9c_b.jpg

Anyone else going?

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Mik2121 said:
Uhm, how far are you into the game right now? And what were you expecting?

Halfway through. Was expecting to enjoy it more, like I enjoyed Mario 64. It's just not happening! The controls are nothing more than ok and the level design is a little boring.

Erethian

Lupin3 said:
Halfway through. Was expecting to enjoy it more, like I enjoyed Mario 64. It's just not happening! The controls are nothing more than ok and the level design is a little boring.

How would you compare it to stuff like SMG or NSMB?

Lupin3

Erethian said:
How would you compare it to stuff like SMG or NSMB?

Never liked SMG either, and haven't played NSMB enough to have an opinion. But I do think I prefer 3D Land over SMG, if I had to choose.

EDIT: Was thinking about NSMB Wii for some reason, that I haven't played a lot. The DS version is ok. A little slow, but at least fun enough for me to finish. Would probably rate it higher than 3D Land.

Cheesemeister said:
I'm in Japan, not New York, but would love to get a tanooki tail. Perhaps someone would be willing to trade for something from Japan?

Echoing this statement. If anyone wants to trade for something in Japan, I'm not against the idea.

Sinthetic

Lupin3 said:
Never liked SMG either, and haven't played NSMB enough to have an opinion. But I do think I prefer 3D Land over SMG, if I had to choose.

Not sure your thoughts are going to have any impact in here if you didn't like SMG.

Guys who have finished this, are there
time trials
for every level in the game?

Lupin3

Sinthetic said:
Not sure your thoughts are going to have any impact in here if you didn't like SMG.

The guy asked a question, I answered it. There's no more to it.

Lupin3

Sinthetic said:
I just want to spread the SMG love, sure I can't tempt you? Haha.

Not sure you can, sorry! Bought it, played it, sold it. Never had much fun with it, I'm afraid.

Lupin3 said:
Not sure you can, sorry! Bought it, played it, sold it. Never had much fun with it, I'm afraid.
I totally agree. I found myself mindlessly playing it to make it to the goals, as opposed to actually having fun and smiling when playing NSMB. I'm looking forward to 3D Land for supposedly combining the best aspects of the two predecessors.

Andrex said:
Well, time to kill myself.

I agree. A world filled with mad men who don't like Galaxy yet enjoy NSMB DS ain't worth living in. Of course, thankfully this world is just a hypothetical crazy parallel dimension so no need to kill ourselves. Every so often though one will slip through a wormhole and spook ya.

Lupin3

Agent Unknown said:
I agree. A world filled with mad men who don't like Galaxy yet enjoy NSMB DS ain't worth living in. Of course, thankfully this world is just a hypothetical crazy parallel dimension so no need to kill ourselves. Every so often though one will slip through a wormhole and spook ya.

The N mob is on a roll today!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Man I wish 3DS was region free.

As someone who likes to collect variations on DS boxes, I'd love this steelbook from France.

supermario3dland_goodies.jpg

They're also one for Mario Kart 7 and Skyward Sword.
I've never seen them for handheld titles before.

Lupin3 said:
The N mob is on a roll today!

I'm with no "mob" other than the kind who light and raise torches on behalf of fantastic gameplay. But no worries, I won't burn your village to the ground. To each their own and all.

Lupin3

Agent Unknown said:
I'm with no "mob" other than the kind who light and raise torches on behalf of fantastic gameplay. But no worries, I won't burn your village to the ground. To each their own and all.

I'm glad to hear you don't think any kind of "hating" is worthy of that. And I'm sure this city is too.

Socreges

Banned
Lupin3, you say you're halfway through? What did you think about the general design of levels 2-2 to 2-6 where
the game focuses on much faster and linear gameplay than the rest? Did you like that direction? Should there have been more of that?

Top Bottom