• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Roto13

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I decided to go back to this game..
I just 'finished' the game, and found out about the special levels. Are they exactly the same as the original levels, with different enemy placement? I am not sure I want to play the same game again.

There are new levels, and the levels that aren't completely new are heavily reworked.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Most people consider the special levels the "real" game and the normal levels a long tutorial.

So yeah, special levels are the real game for sure. I enjoyed my play-through of the initial levels, but didn't quite get the glowing response to the game. Only a few levels into the special levels now, but I can already see why it's the "real" game as they are absolutely incredible so far.

I have been playing this game on my lunch breaks recently, and I have to say I'm as excited as ever for my break today. :)

coopolon

I finally figured out why I don't like this game. Why does a 3d Mario on a system with an analogue stick have a run button? He is really slow without running and running feels really clumsy/awkward.

zigg

I finally figured out why I don't like this game. Why does a 3d Mario on a system with an analogue stick have a run button? He is really slow without running and running feels really clumsy/awkward.
It's not really a "3D Mario game." It's a 2D Mario game with the added dimension of depth.

Anteo

It's not really a "3D Mario game." It's a 2D Mario game with the added dimension of depth.

Yeah this game can't be considered a 2d mario main game nor a 3d mario main game. It's something in between. That's why there are 3 main gamplay styles form mario now: 3d(galaxy/sunshine/64), 2.5d?(3dland,3dworld), 2d(nsmb and sequels)

coopolon

Yeah this game can't be considered a 2d mario main game nor a 3d mario main game. It's something in between. That's why there are 3 main gamplay styles form mario now: 3d(galaxy/sunshine/64), 2.5d?(3dland,3dworld), 2d(nsmb and sequels)

Do we know if 3d world will have a run button?

Tom_Cody

I've been doing a lot of stuff with Street Pass recently (owing to the new content) and I decided to finally pop this cartridge back in to clear out the 3/3 that had been there for ages. After initially clearing out the Street Pass Mystery Boxes and then returning to do the same things a few more times I started to replay it to regain high scores (low times) on every level. When I last put this down I was champion of every level and when I returned I held the record to only ~10-15 levels.

God, what an amazing game. I am enjoying replaying these levels so much. I actually really want to take a trip to the Nintendo World Store just to try to get street pass with some more competitive times.

As the 3DS continues to sell a great number of consoles, I hope this title doesn't get left behind. It's kind of shame that it came out so early in the system's life and that the street pass features are a little clunky compared to newer titles. I also really wish that I had bought it digitally. Oh well. As I continue to buy more digital releases I should be able to keep this planted in my system.

Futureman

Flags for both Mario and Luigi, and then the Super Secret Level.

so I see there is a little gold flag on the level select screen if you get the top of the flagpole...

but I'm not seeing any indication of which character got the flag for that level. What am I missing? or do they expect me to remember?

zigg

so I see there is a little gold flag on the level select screen if you get the top of the flagpole...

but I'm not seeing any indication of which character got the flag for that level. What am I missing? or do they expect me to remember?
Sorry, wow, I kind of botched that original answer.

You need

1. A gold flag for each level, either character

2. Clear each level with both M and L

and you should see indications for both statuses.

Sulik2

So I almost bought a 2DS today, but the one thing that is really holding me back is I have heard the 3D in Super Mario Land really makes a big difference. Is this game playable in purely 2D?

Elija2

So I almost bought a 2DS today, but the one thing that is really holding me back is I have heard the 3D in Super Mario Land really makes a big difference. Is this game playable in purely 2D?

It is, but there are certain secret areas that take advantage of the 3D where those playing in 2D are at an unfair disadvantage.

It's definitely playable, but only when you play it in 2D after playing it in 3D for a while do you realize how much of a difference the sense of depth helps in a 3D platformer. If you didn't have the point of reference then you wouldn't know what you were missing.

Elija2

I'd say those areas are vanishingly few.

True. At the most you'd just have to play through the level again once you realize what the 3D was trying to show you.

I played through the game mostly in 2D and the only time I got screwed by playing in 2D was in a bonus area trying to get a star coin. A platform wasn't where I thought it was and I fell back to the normal area. It wasn't a big deal playing through the level again knowing what I did wrong.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I just came back to this after seeing the new trailers and screenshots for Mario 3D World. I'm kinda sad that I ended up shelving it last year; the game really picks up in the later worlds. World 7 was amazing. The music and level design was outstanding. So much fun. It's taken me a while but I think I've come around to the non-adventure style 3D Mario games. Bring on 3D World.

Any bets on whether we'll see a follow up specifically on the 3DS?

ghibli99

I'd love to see a SM3DL2 on the 3DS. Lose the basic Luigi playthrough and replace it with something more meaningful like the green stars in SMG2.

I just spent the last couple weeks doing another 100% playthrough of SM3DL. It started to lose steam for me about halfway through the Luigi parts, but I still think it's terrific.

Tom_Cody

I posted about this in the Streetpass thread but I thought it would be worth posting this here as well.

dJpXFHJ.jpg

There's a special Nintendo Zone street/spot pass available today for Super Mario 3D Land. I don't know if it is just available today or if it will be available for a stretch of time.
(the image is from the last Nintendo Direct)

I got the Nintendo Zone street/spot pass this morning.

There was a Mystery Box with a Yoshiaki Koizumi Mii associated with it. The box was full of raccoon leaves, had one P-Wing, and one Star Coin. IIRC the box shimmered but otherwise there nothing special about the presentation. What's really cool though is that the street/spot pass arrived with really aggressive time attack scores for the levels. Since launch I have continued to stay on top of my 3D Land time attack scores; constantly beating new streetpass records as they come in. I'm glad to have a final batch of times to beat as I transition into 3D World.

genjiZERO

So I can only afford one game (I just got a LttP 3DS). This seems to be the highest rated game. Is it the best to get? I was thinking this v. NSMB2 v. Fire Emblem.

zigg

So I can only afford one game (I just got a LttP 3DS). This seems to be the highest rated game. Is it the best to get? I was thinking this v. NSMB2 v. Fire Emblem.
Definitely better than NSMB2 (2 is okay, but really the NSMB series has been going downhill since NSMBW peaked). Can't speak to FE, still in my backlog, but I hear it's good. Do you want to platform or strategize?

genjiZERO

Definitely better than NSMB2 (2 is okay, but really the NSMB series has been going downhill since NSMBW peaked). Can't speak to FE, still in my backlog, but I hear it's good. Do you want to platform or strategize?

I really just want to have fun.... Yeah I know that's vague.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

But if you don't, this game is probably the next best thing.

jaosobno

One question regarding free SM3DL for EU. I ordered 3DS XL today from German Amazon. Can I register the system on any Club Nintendo (since it's a PAL system)? I'm assuming that it doesn't have to be German Nintendo Club, but I'd like for someone to verify this for me.

AEREC

Anyone else lose their save file after the MiiVerse update? All 3 slots are blank but when I select the slot that previously had my save Im prompted to select a Mii but then it replaces it with a random Mii and I can pick up where I left off. But everytime I save and quit I have to go through the process all over again.

Im guessing its because I overwrote my 3DS Mii with my Nintendo Network ID Mii when the update hit.

Is there any fix for this?

Finally Finished the game, I think I played the game straight for 9 hours, I have not done this with any game in YEARS. Everything about it was amazing.

What a game, also it took me like 2 hours to clear the god damn Crown level.

Edit: Haha I thought this was the 3D World OT, my bad.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Finally Finished the game, I think I played the game straight for 9 hours, I have not done this with any game in YEARS. Everything about it was amazing.

What a game, also it took me like 2 hours to clear the god damn Crown level.

Edit: Haha I thought this was the 3D World OT, my bad.

The irony is palpable.

Zing

Banned
Anyone else lose their save file after the MiiVerse update? All 3 slots are blank but when I select the slot that previously had my save Im prompted to select a Mii but then it replaces it with a random Mii and I can pick up where I left off. But everytime I save and quit I have to go through the process all over again.

Im guessing its because I overwrote my 3DS Mii with my Nintendo Network ID Mii when the update hit.

Is there any fix for this?
I had this same problem. It is definitely a bug with importing a Miiverse Mii made on the Wii U. I bought a 3DS, updated immediately, and the Miiverse Mii is the only one I have ever had on the system. I was able to fix it easily. Simply go into the Mii Maker on the 3DS, "edit" your Mii and save it again. You don't need to make any changes. Just edit and save. Now Mario 3D Land saves properly.

This bug was driving me crazy. I emailed Nintendo just to report the bug and they responded wanting me to call in etc. Forget it then.

Kabuto

Holy SHIT Level S8-Crown is kicking my ass. I've been playing it for an hour and still can't beat it. The farthest I got was when Cosmic Clone Mario chased after me so for whoever beat the level, is that the last part?

edit: YES after taking a break and coming back, I finally beat it as Mario. The Statue Leaf is a god send. Gonna try it as Luigi now.
Game is amazing and even though it was released two years ago, it was still a lot of fun for me in 2013.

hoserx

Just finally beat this gem. What a fantastic game........ maybe my most enjoyable portable game of all time. Now, to focus fully on Super Mario 3d World!

Chinbo37

Beat this game a couple of weeks ago and following my tradition of finding old OT threads to bump, thought i would drop my comments.

I got the game for free as I recently bought a 3DS along with link between worlds. I was kind of disappointed as I approached world 8 as I was thinking "this is it"?

But then i realized you can unlock the special world which was MUCH more challenging and really provided a lot more value to the game. I also enjoyed playing as luigi. HOWEVER I would say that this game wasnt that great overall. I wasnt a fan of the Flagpole objectives, as mostly it just involved keeping a tanoki leaf in reserve for when you get to the end. I did beat every level with the flagpole with mario and luigi so I did get all 5 stars but all in all I didnt find teh game to match up when compared to galaxy or Mario 64

Final verdict - 7.5/10

Chinbo37

Holy SHIT Level S8-Crown is kicking my ass. I've been playing it for an hour and still can't beat it. The farthest I got was when Cosmic Clone Mario chased after me so for whoever beat the level, is that the last part?

edit: YES after taking a break and coming back, I finally beat it as Mario. The Statue Leaf is a god send. Gonna try it as Luigi now.
Game is amazing and even though it was released two years ago, it was still a lot of fun for me in 2013.

LOL I died so many times on that level. when you get to the end to the THANK YOU part, I thought you had to run along the thank you part, I did it with mario, but with Luigi I got there twice and messed up on jumps twice before I realized you can just ride on teh platform on the bottom.

I beat the game, unlocked the secret or remix world whatever it is beat all those and finally got 3 star coins in every level. Is there anything else to do or unlock in the game? I noticed it makes a note of which levels you completed with which brother - if I do them all with both is that something?

I got the game free too and really enjoyed it. There were certain parts, specifically jumps that I thought STILL were unfair because of the 3D (not the 3DS 3D, but that it is a 3D platformer and not 2D), some times I just couldn't tell if I was landing on a platform or not, regardless of the shadow. And there were times I had problems where I thought I was against a wall, jumped and seemed to not be against the wall. These moments were few thankfully, but frustrating. I also thought the secret world got very challenging towards the end, overall I really liked it, probably more than any other Mario game I've played recently (including original NSMB and both Galaxy games).

I beat the game, unlocked the secret or remix world whatever it is beat all those and finally got 3 star coins in every level. Is there anything else to do or unlock in the game? I noticed it makes a note of which levels you completed with which brother - if I do them all with both is that something?

I got the game free too and really enjoyed it. There were certain parts, specifically jumps that I thought STILL were unfair because of the 3D (not the 3DS 3D, but that it is a 3D platformer and not 2D), some times I just couldn't tell if I was landing on a platform or not, regardless of the shadow. And there were times I had problems where I thought I was against a wall, jumped and seemed to not be against the wall. These moments were few thankfully, but frustrating. I also thought the secret world got very challenging towards the end, overall I really liked it, probably more than any other Mario game I've played recently (including original NSMB and both Galaxy games).

Presuming you have three stars, you get 4 stars on your save file for getting the golden flagpole in each level and five stars for beating every level with both Mario and Luigi.

Yeah just read up a FAQ, I have 4 stars so have to go for the 5th for the real final level. I guess Bravely Default is going to have to wait another week!

Lihwem

Hey, sorry for the bump but I've got a question about "that" level :

I just finished the 8-crown level with both Mario & Luigi and got the golden flag but the icon on the bottom screen still doesn't have a star on it, why ?

zigg

I just finished the 8-crown level with both Mario & Luigi and got the golden flag but the icon on the bottom screen still doesn't have a star on it, why ?
What icon? Your save file should have five ⭐s by now...

Tom_Cody

Congrats on beating the level!

Regarding the star, you're not missing anything. I think that's just because the level occupies that first circle that is on every world's level select map.

Lihwem

Congrats on beating the level!

Regarding the star, you're not missing anything. I think that's just because the level occupies that first circle that is on every world's level select map.

Thanks and thanks !

I can now rest in peace about this game :D

Surprised how short this OT is. So I just started this game back up and was wondering if anyone has played through the entire game without the Tanooki Suit? Seems like it would be a really fun challenge, I just wish I would still get a Fire Flower or Boomerang suit instead of all the Tanooki leaves.

Rarijack

Banned
Okay, I know this is an old thread but I have a question. How do you consistantly get to the top of the flag pole without the Tanooki suit? Most of the time a standard run 'n jump doesn't work and if I try a long jump I still fall short.

Top Bottom