• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

So how do you get 8-Crown then? I have 4 stars on my save file when I boot up the game and I got the three star coins for all the levels in the normal world and the S worlds. Is there something more I have to do?

Anteo

So how do you get 8-Crown then? I have 4 stars on my save file when I boot up the game and I got the three star coins for all the levels in the normal world and the S worlds. Is there something more I have to do?

Beat every stage with both Mario and Luigi, and get the Golden Flag at least one time in every stage.

It's like how you had to unlock SMG2's Grandmaster Galaxy. Since you got all the star coins on your Mario playthrough, getting through the game with Luigi is very quick. I'd definitely recommend it!

Ya, I probably will. I just completed the first 4 levels quickly and I have like 99% of the gold flags too. It's just a shame since the coins and stuff were fun to do but this just seems tedious to make you play again. I just wish it was more than play all those levels again for no real reason but to rush through.

Man this game is such a breath of fresh air. I'm loving every second of it. Having skipped the Wii this gen, I feel right saying "Mario, I missed you buddy" :)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Well the reason I skipped it was because I wasn't too fond of the motion controls. I have the Wii U ready to preorder on Amazon though :)

You'll have an awesome bunch of games to choose from at least. If there is
of course there will be
a Wii U game drought, you'll have plenty to play.

Robin64

Consider your second run-through with Luigi as the start of setting times to stop rivals for StreetPassing goodness.

ghibli99

Spin jump is the godliest thing ever. Don't fear moving your wrist a little. :)
Agreed. It's one of the few waggle bits in any Wii game that truly feels natural. So natural that I find myself doing it in other games that don't support it. :p

Glass Joe

I'd pretty much 99.9%'ed the game months ago and put it down. That 8-crown stage gave me more problems than I thought it was worth, though I loved every minute of 3D Land (about 25 hours worth, actually!). I'd get about 2/3 of the way there at my best and die. Then getting the raccoon suits over and over was just too tedious.

I finally decided to pick it up again this week since I felt I had unsettled business. I had a lightbulb moment where I realized I should be getting Tanooki leafs instead because of the statue ability. Suddenly the level seemed like a breeze. Well, not a breeze, but easy in comparison. Maybe 5 tries till I got it instead of probably over 20 back then. I also realized I could just reset the save file instead of running back to S1-1 over and over. Still, a slight annoyance when my game file had about 225 lives.

I thought it would show a little special something at the end. Then I thought, well, since I had to get the golden flag for each level, and do it with both Mario and Luigi, I'd beat 8-crown again with the other character.

So I did, and oh well. But this is probably the first Mario game I've 100%'ed since Mario World back when I was a little kid. I had that much fun with it. It really is the best elements of Galaxy, but in a more concise form... Almost like a bridge between the 2D "run to the right" Marios and the 3D "increasingly complex" ones.

Anyone who can do that crown level without a tail at all is godly, though!

ghibli99

Anyone who can do that crown level without a tail at all is godly, though!
I found S8-Crown to be harder with the suit for some reason, probably because I played the majority of it without one, and I have no patience for constantly resetting. The tail would really mess up my timing as a result, so I just powered through without one. I should go back and try it again after being away from the game since last year.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Finally found a streetpasser with a few times better than mine. Then I realise it's for levels I only went through once and apparently no one before this chap has set a time better than mine. I do play recklessly though.

One of my favourite features as it provides a good excuse to replay levels.

Vee_One

I picked this up on release and for whatever reason never played it. Don't know why, guess I got distracted with Skyrim and other games at the same time.

I put it in to my 3DS last night and played till the end of World 5. It is the happiest I have been playing games in years. It made me feel like I was 7 again playing Mario Bros 3 for the first time. This game is fantastic. I have never cared for the 3D Mario games but this truly feels like one of the 2D classics.

ghibli99

Definitely going to have to revisit this once my XL arrives tomorrow. I love reading impressions like the one right above this. :)

I picked this up on release and for whatever reason never played it. Don't know why, guess I got distracted with Skyrim and other games at the same time.

I put it in to my 3DS last night and played till the end of World 5. It is the happiest I have been playing games in years. It made me feel like I was 7 again playing Mario Bros 3 for the first time. This game is fantastic. I have never cared for the 3D Mario games but this truly feels like one of the 2D classics.
You cant say it better than this folks. Just now got it today. This game is incredible. Every single thing about it. People can say nostalgia this and that but this is already a classic. And Im only on world 3, and every single level brings a smile to my face. Thank you based Nintendo!

ghibli99

I played the first couple of stages again on the 3DS XL... took me a while to get used to it, and it's such a different game that what I'm playing now (Super Meat Boy), that it felt like it was moving in slow-motion. LOL Such a joy to look at and play, though. I think I'm gonna have to do another playthrough before 2012 is over!

My girlfriend got a 3DS XL last week so I've been making my way through this. Worlds 1-8 were good, but it felt a bit like Mario Galaxy Lite, but the Special Worlds are really amazing. I think I'm currently on S6 as I'm getting the three coins on each level and the imagination and difficulty curve that I loved about the Galaxy games are definitely here, albeit in not such huge quantities. It's definitely surpassed what I expected and has shot up my Mario ranking.

I think I'd rank it 5th overall (SMG 2 > SMG > World = 64 > 3D Land)

ghibli99

My girlfriend got a 3DS XL last week so I've been making my way through this. Worlds 1-8 were good, but it felt a bit like Mario Galaxy Lite, but the Special Worlds are really amazing. I think I'm currently on S6 as I'm getting the three coins on each level and the imagination and difficulty curve that I loved about the Galaxy games are definitely here, albeit in not such huge quantities. It's definitely surpassed what I expected and has shot up my Mario ranking.

I think I'd rank it 5th overall (SMG 2 > SMG > World = 64 > 3D Land)
That's actually pretty close to how I'd rank them as well. They're all amazing.

S worlds done with all coins. 4 stars on my profile.

I just read what you need for 5 stars (
get the top of every flag
) and it's a real shame they pick such a shitty task for you to unlock the final bonus level. Like hell am I going back through the entire game doing that. Shame.

I consider myself 100% at this point because of that. Great game.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

) and it's a real shame they pick such a shitty task for you to unlock the final bonus level. Like hell am I going back through the entire game doing that. Shame.

Just get the top of everyflag the first time you beat it (or second with Luigi). Done. :p

ghibli99

Yeah, just speedrunning through the stages and getting the flags is simple. You only have to do it with one character per stage, not both.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I used that logic to argue my exams scores. While I didn't complete the paper I did what I thought was 100% so you should reward me 100%!

Once you get some streetpasses with better times than your you'll go back to playing the levels again so your Mii is number one again.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

but you're not 100%

I actually think it's one of the better tasks for 100% as well. now you get to speed run those levels just for the flag. and the flag is a nice balance of difficulty to get to the top each time as well, if you want to make it hard, do it with no racoon suit.

EDIT: I'm going to play this through again after I'm done with NSMB2. I'm pretty much on the fence about which I prefer. I'm a sucker for mario anything though.

I have no interest in speed running or replaying the levels so soon though. Maybe a year or two down the line when I want to play it again I'll use it as an excuse to get the "proper" 100%, but right now I feel like I've done everything I want to.

It feels like a way to force another play through of the game when it's not needed.

zigg

It feels like a way to force another play through of the game when it's not needed.
To each their own. I found it was a whole different feel doing it again after I'd already nabbed all the Star Coins. And then I kept playing it for a bit as I StreetPassed a few better times here and there.

Now, when my copy was lost and then replaced, that was when it might have been too much. :lol Currently in S5, goin' slow, but I was pleased when I got sparkly stars with ease this time compared to my first run-through, where I'm pretty sure I just barely squeaked by.

Adamator

After finishing NSMB2 and getting 5 stars on my profile, the first time I ever did that in a Mario game, I decided to pop in 3DLand and see where i stood. I only have 2 stars on this game. I know I wont get 5 on this one.

One thing that I have tried to find out online but can not find a clear answer is how to tell if you have beaten a level with Luigi. I've read that you can see it on the map screen. On the bottom right of the top screen I do have gold flags for some levels, but no M or L to indicate beating it with Mario or Luigi. How do you get that to appear?

Edit: Nevermind. I had never taken another trip through the world 8 castle after beating all the special worlds. Now I have the M and L indicator. 4 stars on my profile now.

Adamator

I have too much of a back log right now to go through each level to make sure I A, get a gold flag on them, and also to make sure I played them with Luigi. Though I suppose I could just focus on doing both at the same time by Using Luigi. You don't need the star coins with each brother, right?

I got Kid Icarus: Uprising in my back log. I've had it since March! What to do.

zigg

Correct: if you get the coins with one character, you don't have to do it with the other.
This is part of what makes the second run-through and subsequent time-chasing a different game. When I first hit the game with Mario, I'm carefully going through, figuring out how to nab coins, trying to get the gold flags. Then when Luigi comes into the picture and I'm zipping all over the levels, cutting corners to shave off seconds, and doing tricks to skip sections. For me, it was really like playing the same game two almost entirely different ways.

Of course, there are a handful of crap levels in there that pay undue homage to the Mario 64 style and nearly ruin that second phase, but on the whole it works out pretty well.

I never had the og 3ds but picked up the XL and this game when the console launched. I beat the game last night
only played one special level so far after
and this is a must have game for the system. I had a blast , it makes use of the 3d screen so well, and it felt like little bursts of galaxy whenever I had the itch. I doubt anyone is on the fence about getting this game but if you are GET IT. A total keeper of a game.

neoism

ok holy fucking shit...
I just thought I beat 3d land and was just about to buy NSMB2... but holy shit 8 special worlds... :O its like 2 games goddamn!! :O

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's weird that I've never seen a single time set for the final level from all the people I've streetpassed. Seeing as it's a one life deal anyone who completes it will get a time for it so I guess from this small poll a lot of people never beat this game 100%.

I have too much of a back log right now to go through each level to make sure I A, get a gold flag on them, and also to make sure I played them with Luigi. Though I suppose I could just focus on doing both at the same time by Using Luigi. You don't need the star coins with each brother, right?

I got Kid Icarus: Uprising in my back log. I've had it since March! What to do.

I daresay Uprising is more fun than replaying 3D Land. But what do I know.

This game has ruined NSMB2 for me. 3D Land is so much better... I wish they'd released NSMB2 first, because I know I'm not giving it a fair shake.

I'll be back on board for NSMBU though - as multiplayer will be easier, and the Wii version was awesome.

Ok I have the star coins from every level, now you tell me I have to get a gold flag on every level... and that unlocks a final level... are there any other surprises in store here?

Top Bottom