• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Carlisle

Just finished
8-Crown
! With M/L+Gold Flag. Truly 100% done and what a journey. I got the game at release and played up through
mid S-7
before forgetting about it. Then last week I picked it back up, blew through the remainder, replayed the whole thing with Luigi grabbing the few gold flags I'd missed, and after a couple days of trying the final stage I finally beat that bitch.

Feels so good, easily in the top 3 best Mario games imo. I'd love a sequel. But for now I can focus fully on NSMB2.

Ok I have all gold flags now. What exactly is supposed to happen? I don't see any extra level.

To get the last level you must:

• Beat all the Special levels and then Bowser in the Normal final level again
  • Collect Gold 3 coins in every level
  • Get to the top of the flag pole in every level
  • Beat every level with Mario and again with Luigi

To get the last level you must:

• Beat all the Special levels and then Bowser in the Normal final level again
  • Collect Gold 3 coins in every level
  • Get to the top of the flag pole in every level
  • Beat every level with Mario and again with Luigi
Wait I have to beat every level with Mario too? WHY

The flags were bad but this is some serious bullshit

oatmeal

Banned
I bought Kid Icarus during the BestBuy sale and thought it was good game, but not something I could get into. I appreciated what it did, but after 4-5 levels, just couldn't get comfortable with it.

So I put it up on Craigslist to see if anyone would be interested in trading for 3D Land. Well, to my surprise, a week and a half later, someone bit...traded it this afternoon.

I got all of the Star Coins in the first world (1-1 through Bowser's Castle) and I have to say the game is fucking amazing. Graphics are awesome, music is fantastic, everything about it is great so far.

Really glad I traded for this.

oatmeal

Banned
Okay...I 100% the entire game. All gold flags, 303 Star Coins ( I guess those Purple Box levels regenerate?)...

Now what? Nothing for my efforts? :(

(EDIT)

Having said that...amazing fucking game. I played the hell out of it.

FAKE EDIT:

SO i have to go through every level with Luigi? Interesting...

Okay...I 100% the entire game. All gold flags, 303 Star Coins ( I guess those Purple Box levels regenerate?)...

Now what? Nothing for my efforts? :(

(EDIT)

Having said that...amazing fucking game. I played the hell out of it.

FAKE EDIT:

SO i have to go through every level with Luigi? Interesting...

Yeah, you're not at 100% completion just yet

oatmeal

Banned
I'm through the normal worlds as Luigi.

Thank God I didn't have to do the coins/flags again.

SPECIAL WORLDS HERE I COMMMME.

Didn't realize that you can beat 7-1 or 7-2 in like...5 seconds. That was nice.

oatmeal

Banned
Finished the bonus super ultimate level. TWICE.

Took at least 70 lives with Luigi. I tried it about 50 times with no powerups, but it was basically impossible.

So I started going back to Special 1-1 and getting the Tanooki suit, rushing through the level and repeating it, and then going back to the special level. Huge pain in the ass.

Finally finished it, though. Then had to do it again with Mario which took a few tries, getting used to his jump and float was harder than I thought after having rushed through the game as Luigi to finish the levels.

But damnit, that was one of the best gaming experiences of the last five years. It was up there with Super Meat Boy. Not just the special level, just the entire game. What a great package.

You know whats a totally awesome level? W2.3. Love it.

But damnit, that was one of the best gaming experiences of the last five years. It was up there with Super Meat Boy. Not just the special level, just the entire game. What a great package.

What I love is how much it can just be picked up and played. In that sense it beats SMB for me; which needs a group of levels to be fully appreciated. SM3DL needs one and any one!

Got this game for my 3 year old and he loves it. I help him with some of the difficult stuff. Yesterday really sucked though. At his age, he can't read so I guess he was fiddling with the load game area and even though I always make all 3 files the same, he deleted all 3.

Poor guy was bawling his eyes out saying how he wanted to play with the boomerang. Guess I got my work cut out for me!

Got this game for my 3 year old and he loves it. I help him with some of the difficult stuff. Yesterday really sucked though. At his age, he can't read so I guess he was fiddling with the load game area and even though I always make all 3 files the same, he deleted all 3.

Awww - we all did that sometime, and most of us could read at the time :p
Your gonna have some late nights catching up no doubt :D

Picked it up again after about 4 months. For some reason I had left it at the last special level to complete with Luigi and get the flag. Finished that quickly. Then...

I spent over an hour on Crown until I finally beat the little boss things and put my 3DS down in celebration. Realised there was more, died immediately and almost threw the damn thing at the wall.

What a brilliant game though. Only complaint is that the normal levels are so easy you just coast through them. The great level design pretty makes up for that though.

edit: nailed, both brothers, no suits. What a game. I was hoping the stars on my profile would turn gold or something though. Finished with 1006 deaths.

So I finished this to 100% I think
does level s8-crown have medals?
99% sure it does not.

Sorry for the bump, but does anyone know if there's a way to tell which levels the Assist Blocks appeared in? I want to get the glittering stars on my profile and I thought beating the entire game with Luigi without seeing an Assist Block would be enough, but still no glittering stars. I'm guessing that the game remembers that I used an Assist Block in some level in the first 8 worlds as Mario and I have to finish that/those levels again, but I have no idea which levels and I'm not about to speedrun the whole game right after just doing that with Luigi.

zigg

I want to get the glittering stars on my profile and I thought beating the entire game with Luigi without seeing an Assist Block would be enough, but still no glittering stars. I'm guessing that the game remembers that I used an Assist Block in some level in the first 8 worlds as Mario and I have to finish that/those levels again
I thought you permanently lost them in that playthrough if you hit a Block of Shame. Am I wrong?

I thought you permanently lost them in that playthrough if you hit a Block of Shame. Am I wrong?
During my Googling, one of the results said if you use a the Assist Block then you can just go back and beat that level again without using it and you'd be fine. I don't know what to believe though. :/

Just recently got a 3DS with Kid Icarus and this and I absolutely adored this game, reused content near the end aside.

Only thing I'm wondering about is how the street pass elements work; is there a way for the time trials shown at the bottom of each level to show more than just one other Mii? Is there a way to see how people on my online friend's list have done in each level? Lastly, what's the point of those purple question mark blocks supposedly given to me by other Mii's, and is there a set amount of them since I usually get a new Star Coin out of them?

zigg

During my Googling, one of the results said if you use a the Assist Block then you can just go back and beat that level again without using it and you'd be fine. I don't know what to believe though. :/
First time I've heard of this working is in NSMB2 (which is good, because the @$%ing block shows up in co-op mode!) Didn't think that worked in SM3DL. Could still be wrong, though!

FSLink

Banned

Yeah pretty positive this is a NSMB2 thing, not a 3D Land thing.

Since the 3DS general mega thread got closed, I'm not sure where to ask this. So why not the most popular game OT?

I just got an XL a couple days ago. I had a couple lockups navigating the menus, but they seemed to go away since I did system updates and transferred my games from the original model. But today I've had several lockups in-game (one of them being Mario).

Any tips? Did I get a lemon?

Since the 3DS general mega thread got closed, I'm not sure where to ask this. So why not the most popular game OT?

I just got an XL a couple days ago. I had a couple lockups navigating the menus, but they seemed to go away since I did system updates and transferred my games from the original model. But today I've had several lockups in-game (one of them being Mario).

Any tips? Did I get a lemon?

Not sure, but best to create a new thread in gaming, that way people will see it and try to help :)

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I returned to this game this week after a long time off. I have to say, what a brilliant game. I finally got all the gold coins in the special levels, and now I'm working on beating all the levels with M & L. I haven't wanted to 100% a game in so long, and it's really satisfying.

I rank this game as highly as SMG 1 / 2. I like the bowser stages quite a bit more, and the controls feel slightly better thanks to not having that weird waggle attack, but all 3 are incredible.

9/10.

My only gripe:

The continue / lives system is outdated. There is no reason to have an arbitrary continue system in this day and age. If Nintendo wants to make Mario feel more fresh, all they need to do is get rid of lives and let you choose a suit between levels. If there was one thing that made me want to stop playing, it was having to worry about lives while taking on a difficult level.

After playing this, I'm totally pumped for some more Mario. My gut is telling me to skip NSMB2 and hold out for NSMBU.

Replaying the game again for 5 shiny stars in my file, and I can't help but notice how really really rad the texture work for it is. I could stare at W6-5's ice all day. @_@

Izick

I just beat the "regular" game. After I saw that last picture after the credits
I was pissed. Nobody fucks with Luigi.
It's go time.

Absolutely amazing game.

Sorry for the bump, but after 100%-ing 3D Land in every way possible I just wanted to say (post-special world spoilers):
How hilariously dickish that final level was. Super Mario Galaxy 2's final level with the trickster comet doesn't even compare. The fact you have to do it again but with Luigi who I'm assuming is slightly more slippery like in the SMG games is just adding insult to injury.

If it weren't for the blatant recycling of stages this could've very well been my favorite 3D Mario game. Either way fantastic game, eagerly look forward to seeing how EAD Tokyo expand on it with their inevitable Wii U Mario.

Nose Master

Anyone else think the Tanooki Suit sort of breaks the game? Slowly floating around makes you not have to give any shits about where or how you jump.

Anteo

Anyone else think the Tanooki Suit sort of breaks the game? Slowly floating around makes you not have to give any shits about where or how you jump.

I've seen my sister play this game. Not even the tanooki suit was enough to help her in the post game content. I think that is the point, casuals can get extra help from it, we regular gamers can just ignore it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Yes, it is really a crutch. The final stage becomes a cake walk. Just don't use it if you want a better challenge.

zigg

Yes, it is really a crutch. The final stage becomes a cake walk. Just don't use it if you want a better challenge.
Once again, I must note: I found the rhythm of the Super Secret Final Stage way easier without the Suit. Like any well-designed Mario level, it flows far more naturally without it. Floating with the Suit destroys the rhythm and makes it markedly harder.

I loved the Tanooki suit in 3D Land. I love the fact that 8-Crown was tougher when you had it, plus it was fun to just mess around with it in various levels, testing the boundaries of how far you could drift with it or the various ownage tricks of the statue.

Boney

Banned
Once again, I must note: I found the rhythm of the Super Secret Final Stage way easier without the Suit. Like any well-designed Mario level, it flows far more naturally without it. Floating with the Suit destroys the rhythm and makes it markedly harder.

yeah had the same issue

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Found a glitch in the World 6 during the boss battle in the last stage. The pink boomerang boss got stomped into the fire and got stuck there, just spinning and spinning. I did manage to use it to get a ton of lives, but I had to die because there was no way out.

Sure it flows better like many levels if you just jump your way through, but once again I must note; the tail is a crutch and makes most levels easy. Not rhythmic, just easy. For me.

fernoca

Recently got a 3DSXL with New Super Mario Bros. 2, and since I originally mised this; decided to also get this one..digitally (and with a discount of sorts; since got two-$20 cards for $32 :p).

And at the moment, I'm enjoying it way more than 'New'. Don't know if it's because it reminds me of the Galaxy games; but eveyrthing is just perfect so far. Prior to this, my experience was just quick demos here and there last year and since then, never played it again.

Now, at least I can play it at any time without needing to change cartridges. :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Finally beat
S8-Crown
as both Mario and Weegi. With Mario I cheezed it and used the Tanooki Suit but I played it straight as Luigi.

This means I've 100%'d it, right?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Heheh.

Reminded me of Galaxy 2's final level but less unforgiving.

Also, was it my imagination or is it harder to get forward momentum in this game compared to the Galaxies? Messed me up a few times.

Oxx

I'm so LTTP but I can't complain about my free download of SM3DL.

Currently running back through the opening 8 collecting all the stars before going further. Seems like this is only just the beginning (or the beginning of the end. I'm not so good at platformers).

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I decided to go back to this game..
I just 'finished' the game, and found out about the special levels. Are they exactly the same as the original levels, with different enemy placement? I am not sure I want to play the same game again.

Top Bottom