• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

clav

Zing said:
Goddamn you have to push the A button a lot after each level.

Here is an example of what I had to go through several times today after finishing a level:

"Ok I got a star, push A
I got the comet coin, push A
Here are my starbits, push A
And my coins, push A"
Yeah it seems a backwards step from Mario 64's total count.

That slightly annoyed me too.

Again, the Japanese reinforced thinking of saying hai hai hai to each thing much like the memorization of some of these level designs.

The final stars are fucking INCREDIBLE.

I found the game to be very easy for the most part, finally in the end do they give us a sort of challenge.

when I saw Luigi's Purple Coins part 2 I thought this would be hell. But I actually did it on my second try. I have to say that SMG1 Luigi purple coins was much harder.

clav

MiamiWesker said:
The final stars are fucking INCREDIBLE.

I found the game to be very easy for the most part, finally in the end do they give us a sort of challenge.

when I saw Luigi's Purple Coins part 2 I thought this would be hell. But I actually did it on my second try. I have to say that SMG1 Luigi purple coins was much harder.
I was hoping the solid platforms would twirl like they did in the original, so actually these purple coins were much much easier.

I find myself breezing through this game
on the way to 240 stars
, and I have to say, I'm
pretty disappointed how easy these stars are easy to obtain. Even the later levels, they are not hard to find at all and usually just require triple jumping or falling into a ditch.

EzLink

Banned
So how many "levels" are in
Throwback Galaxy? Saw Transmission 15, and also read that there is a Sunshine level too. How many others?

Eteric Rice

I just realised something.

Mario Galaxy has...

2D Platforming
Normal 3D Platforming.
Upside down platforming.
Sideways platforming.

And now.

4D

:O

zigg

EzLink said:
So how many "levels" are in
Throwback Galaxy? Saw Transmission 15, and also read that there is a Sunshine level too. How many others?

It's only
Whomp's Fortress, and it has its own two new stars and a comet. It's not even really a remake, though the first star is clearly derived from the 64 original.

Eteric Rice said:
4D

Eh?

EzLink

Banned
zigg said:
It's only
Whomp's Fortress, and it has its own two new stars and a comet. It's not even really a remake, though the first star is clearly derived from the 64 original.

Wait, thats it? :( What the hell, why would nintendo spoil
the only classic level remake
with that video. Crazy, that would have been an amazing moment had I not known beforehand. I was at least happy about having others to look forward to

Oh well

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I kinda wish they used a better level from SM64 than Whomp's Fortress for the Throwback Galaxy. It does make the new levels seem huge in comparison.

I collected 120 stars yesterday, but I'm very disappointed with the rewards.
I suppose its better than just replaying the game with Luigi, but I was expecting actually new scenarios. The green stars are just scattered throughout the normal levels, sometimes seconds from the starting point. Most of the time you can see one in the stage intro, if not, then at the stage clear. I gold crowned World 1 in about 45 minutes; I hope this gets better (the sampling I did of the later levels suggests it doesn't).

Wait, thats it? :( What the hell, why would nintendo spoil the only classic level remake with that video. Crazy, that would have been an amazing moment had I not known beforehand. I was at least happy about having others to look forward to
Its not the only classic level remake. Its the only classic level from Super Mario 64

Eteric Rice

zigg said:
It's only

Eh?

Fourth demension is time. You can slow down time in some of the levels. :)

zigg

JJConrad said:
I collected 120 stars yesterday, but I'm very disappointed with the rewards.
I suppose its better than just replaying the game with Luigi, but I was expecting actually new scenarios. The green stars are just scattered throughout the normal levels, sometimes seconds from the starting point. Most of the time you can see one in the stage intro, if not, then at the stage clear. I gold crowned World 1 in about 45 minutes; I hope this gets better (the sampling I did of the later levels suggests it doesn't).

It does. Stick with it. I made a similar mistake myself. I mean, it'll never get as awesome as the unending parade of sweet ideas, but I really enjoyed it once I really got into it.

Eteric Rice said:
Fourth demension is time. You can slow down time in some of the levels. :)

Ooh, yeah, got it. Pushing it a bit though :D

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
EzLink said:
Wait, thats it? :( What the hell, why would nintendo spoil
the only classic level remake
with that video. Crazy, that would have been an amazing moment had I not known beforehand. I was at least happy about having others to look forward to

Oh well
But there's another level
clearly inspired thematically by Sunshine, and another level thats (I think) a remake of one of Sunshine's "platforms in a void" bonus stages

Poyunch

I don't know if this has already been mentioned but the Drill Mario in the OP has Mario is in the perfect pose for "haters gonna hate".

Seriously, Cloud Mario is probably one of my top 3 favorite power ups in a Mario game (behind Tanooki Suit and the all time great Hammer Bros Suit - if you can body Bowser in 4 hits, you know you have an amazing power up). It's put to awesome use in this game and really allows you to get creative :D

I wonder why they didn't think of it sooner.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Passed the halfway mark last night
have 125 stars
, thinking of taking a little break now and picking up RDR.

Best game of this generation? I would have to say so. It makes SMG look tame and every other game look silly in comparison. I can't even imagine a game more brilliantly designed then this.

For people saying the control is wonked for fluzzard and/or spring mario.... you're off you rocker. Both control wonderfully and could each have their own game designed around just that single mechanic alone. Fluzzard is one of my favorite new additions to the galaxy world in fact.

Now for Fire Mario smashing boxes? That can burn in hell.

The toughest challenges for me (so far):
Getting the comet coin in
stone cyclone galaxy
The second fire mario box smashing
cosmic clone flip-out galaxy

Most frustrating?
Boss Blitz Galaxy Time Run
. Thank god that only took me three tries to complete.

Worst star:
Fire Mario Box Smashing

Galaxies and Challenges not getting enough love in this thread:

All of
Flash Back Galaxy.
All of
Clockwork Ruins.
Especially the purple coin run, it was brilliant.
Bowser's time runs.
They felt like completely new levels and really got the blood running.
Cloud Mario. The best mario powerup ever, grouped with the best SMG2 boss fight, the prankster comet battle in
Bowser JR's Boom Bunker.

Biggest Disappointment:

Bowser. New Super Mario Bros Wii still has the best Bowser fight ever.

Not enough
Rosalina.... and storybooks :(

94 Stars in. Getting pretty tough, but only 2 levels have frustrated me too much.

I'm sure that's going to change pretty soon here though.

when you guys got to the top of the tree slide, did you think "what are the odds this uses Slip Sliding Away for music?"

oh my god
OH MY GOD
I almost died when it started playing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
After almost three years, I've finally beaten Super Luigi Galaxy. All the hype for this game made me go back to the title I had left unfinished a long time ago.

In retrospect, the purple coin challenges really fucking suck. The first Galaxy wasn't built on exploration, and they drag the title out a lot, especially if you leave them all to the last stretch of the endgame. It's the ones that keep you on your toes, like Toy Time Galaxy's or Battlerock's, that actually feel any fun because they are about precision platforming.

I also hated how, if you wanted to see everything the game had to offer, you had to beat Bowser's Galaxy Reactor four times. It's not a particularly challenging or compelling final stage... twice should have been enough.

Anyway, don't know if I wanna fully get into Galaxy 2 yet. I think I'll take a breather from Mario and finish Trauma Team in the meantime. That should recharge my batteries for outer-space adventuring.

The Hermit

Amir0x said:
110 stars. This is so far beyond any game I've ever played it's sick. Every last aspect built to perfection. My only complaint for the game is beyond Super Mario Galaxy's ability to fix, so it's not even worth mentioning.

On the rare occasion Nintendo is ON in this day and age, they are fucking on. Reminds me why I used to be a Nintendo Fanboy *sniff*

110 too and yes, there isn't a single star that felt given. Every one was simply conquered.

Baiano19 said:
110 too and yes, there isn't a single star that felt given. Every one was simply conquered.
As much as I love
Throwback galaxy
, I found the first star to be kind of a gimme.
Although knowing the level, and the shortcuts, and how to beat the boss, all from the olden days, that might have been why

The second star was awesome.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
:lol @ Yoshicide being a requirement for the second
green star at Bowser's Galaxy Generator

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
VerTiGo said:
Amazing game. Honestly, I loved the first game but within the first few mins I can tell it's a superior product over the first. Far more accessible and the pacing is great. I can't help but view this game as a remake however...

How about a sequel? Oh shit no wai.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
abstract alien said:
It's been a while since I've played the first galaxy, but is it just me, or did they actually polish the control and "weight" on mario even more in here? I thought galaxy one had some of the best(probably "the" best) 3D control I've experienced in a game, but it just seems even tighter in this version. I don't have my copy of it to compare at the moment...

Nope, they're exactly the same.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The_Technomancer said:
No, but there are two similar levels where you fly a bird through a lush jungle and awesome looking lava-spaceship....thing. If you thought the controls for the manta race sucked, you won't like them here either, but the environments are gorgeous.

The gliding is worse than the manta ray surfing IMO.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
HK-47 said:
The gliding is worse than the manta ray surfing IMO.

Am I the only one who never had any problems with Manta Ray Surfing?

I just did the last Surfing Star last night and it was easy as fuck. You guys need to learn how to let go of the A button.

BowieZ

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Anyway, don't know if I wanna fully get into Galaxy 2 yet. I think I'll take a breather from Mario and finish Trauma Team in the meantime. That should recharge my batteries for outer-space adventuring.
Do you own stock in Atlus or something? You mention the game Trauma Team rather frequently in this thread :lol

PounchEnvy said:
I don't know if this has already been mentioned but the Drill Mario in the OP has Mario is in the perfect pose for "haters gonna hate".
Nah.

Penguin

I know this is a minor complaint and could be wrong.

But I wish they kept it like Galaxy one, where the Star Launch streaks were created after you used it for the first time. All of them seem to have their paths laid out already,

Regulus Tera said:
After almost three years, I've finally beaten Super Luigi Galaxy. All the hype for this game made me go back to the title I had left unfinished a long time ago.

In retrospect, the purple coin challenges really fucking suck. The first Galaxy wasn't built on exploration, and they drag the title out a lot, especially if you leave them all to the last stretch of the endgame. It's the ones that keep you on your toes, like Toy Time Galaxy's or Battlerock's, that actually feel any fun because they are about precision platforming.

I also hated how, if you wanted to see everything the game had to offer, you had to beat Bowser's Galaxy Reactor four times. It's not a particularly challenging or compelling final stage... twice should have been enough.

I've got fourteen stars left to complete Super Luigi Galaxy, and I have to agree with you with the purple coins. They were frustrating the first time around, I don't know how many times I ran for minutes looking for one or two more, and while there was less of that the second time around, it didn't change the fact that Honeyhive and Deep Dark Galaxy's purple coin stars in particular sucked. And for me, it isn't beating Bowser's Galaxy Reactor that is the problem for me, it's sitting through the damn credits and ending cutscenes four times. Oh well, I can't wait to play Galaxy 2, going to go straight into it after finishing this up.

Top Bottom