• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Amir0x said:
much more fuck incredible?

Shut the fuck up, you'll give Nintendo terrible goddamn ideas

No, a terrible idea would be a Mario/Starfox crossover, where the land missions are played with Fox and the air levels are played with Mario.

Amir0x

Banned
GregLombardi said:
I hope so! I'm just saying that I'm still early enough where I'm constantly wondering if I'm going to agree with the "10" scores, but I feel to truly assess this I need to make it through every star. Have you already decided this having made it through 100 or so stars?

Unless the last bunch of stars is just the wiimote electrocuting me every five seconds, I don't think the game could change my opinion of it being the greatest game ever made.

Andrex said:
There are some aspects of the first that weren't strictly Mario that I liked better. The epic, space-opera-esque opening and ending sequences and cutscenes, for instance. And while it gets a lot of hate, the hub world slowing you down made the game feel "deeper." That's not defendable to anyone, but it's just something I liked.

I will say I like Starship Mario just as much as the Observatory, but for different reasons. And the level progression is better, because it's from past Mario games.

There are also some other little nitpicks I have that weight the game down lower than the first for me, but they're just my opinion.

To me, SMG2 doesn't do anything crazy awesome to wow me any more than the first did, the level design in both are just about equally awesome, so because of that, the smaller things are what make or break the experience for me.

So there's legitimate reasons you prefer SMG1 to SMG2. Thank god it wasn't "there's not enough new gimmicks".

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Amir0x said:
So there's legitimate reasons you prefer SMG1 to SMG2. Thank god it wasn't "there's not enough new gimmicks".

Yeah. Trust me, I take my opinions of this series very seriously. :lol

Even still, I usually hate passing judgment on a game like this so close to release, whether good or bad. So I'll give SMG2 another month to get into my heart.

Amir0x said:
Unless the last bunch of stars is just the wiimote electrocuting me every five seconds

:lol

Off early on this Friday, have a 3 day weekend (love you too Memorial Day), I can finally get some substantial playtime with this beast.

It's a great game, I just keep getting pulled away from it by work and other bullshit that has flew my way in the past week. I really hope that some good sit-down time helps me like it even more.

EzLink

Banned
Holy hell. My Wii arrived at Nintendo yesterday, got an email this morning saying that it is now already repaired and on its way back to me

Estimated delivery June 3rd. What to do for six days :(

Also, I thought this was funny. I looked at my repair order status page and found this:

"Product Description:
CONSOLE ASSY WHITE RVL"

Yes Nintendo, my Wii is assy for breaking right before Galaxy 2

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EzLink said:
:lol

Most title changes ever for an official thread?

That reminds me, can someone list all of them? I have:

THE THREAD Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario Galaxy 2 THE THREAD
Super Mario Galaxy 2 Official Thread of "That's a Big Woo-hoo!"
Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| "The best game ever made."
Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| "Can't possibly be good enough for adults, can it?"

Andrex said:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Official Thread of PSP port all but confirmed.

Andrex said:

Wasn't there a title related to a PSP port?

Raiden

Banned
So i have not been following this game at all, just checked gamerankings and it is standing at a whopping 97% ...wow?

So it really is looking to be every bit as good as Galaxy 1? That is quite impressive, must get if so :O

Raiden said:
So i have not been following this game at all, just checked gamerankings and it is standing at a whopping 97% ...wow?

So it really is looking to be every bit as good as Galaxy 1? That is quite impressive, must get if so :O

Most would say it's better than SMG1.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Raiden said:

Yes, despite my own nitpicking and others' overhype, I would say that calling it "every bit as good as Galaxy 1" is a fair assessment. Obviously the reviewers agree or it wouldn't be tied with the first on GR (tenths and thousandths digits aside.)

Took some dolphin pictures!

No spoilers here, pictures are from within the first two worlds. Some of the pics have Bowser (not fighting him... Just him), so if you want to be surprised as to how he looks like, don't click.

2tyv.png

Kicking a familiar enemy:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2yn13zt.png

Bar hopping:
http://i48.tinypic.com/k2d2xe.png

Were these in Galaxy 1?
http://i47.tinypic.com/33wwtav.png

Bowser:
http://i49.tinypic.com/2vkxe7r.png

Bowser again:
http://i46.tinypic.com/iw0u1d.png

EzLink

Banned
Andrex said:

There was also one right after the "dusty wii" joke that I can't remember, but it had a word that repeated a bunch in the title

shit, what was it?

MNC

Eteric Rice said:
If you think Galaxy 2 is hard, try beating F-Zero GX.

I dare you. :lol
Well, I unlocked all cups. Story mode however.... Fucking second level was already giving me problems :lol

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Andrex said:

AceBandage said:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 Official Thread of PSP port all but confirmed.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Official thread of dusting off previously useless consoles.

EzLink said:
There was also one right after the "dusty wii" joke that I can't remember, but it had a word that repeated a bunch in the title

shit, what was it?
Something with "..of of of of of of of of" etc, I think.

I really do want to buy this game, but i feel when I do, i will play only this game, till I 100% it. And i wont be able to go back to MH3 after that, and i really dont want to leave MH3 just yet...

Amir0x said:
Unless the last bunch of stars is just the wiimote electrocuting me every five seconds, I don't think the game could change my opinion of it being the greatest game ever made.
This.

You know, although I wrote my review with over 120 stars completed, I had pretty much made up my mind at around 105. This game is so damned good that I thought it impossible for anything to screw it up beyond that point. Even up to star 70 it was saturated by more creative content than just about any game I'd played to date. It's truly a masterpiece, and I would have to argue already that it's the best game I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying in my 20+ years as a gamer.

Still in shock, no joke. Never thought I'd see the day...

Ataturk

DieNgamers said:
F*ck those manta races in SMG1!!! I hate them and the shitty controls in those parts. ;O Apart from that the game has been brilliant!
They're pretty easy, just take it slowly and ignore the time limit.

Eteric Rice

DieNgamers said:
F*ck those manta races in SMG1!!! I hate them and the shitty controls in those parts. ;O Apart from that the game has been brilliant!

Patience is the key to those races. Just remain calm.

othersteve said:
This.

You know, although I wrote my review with over 120 stars completed, I had pretty much made up my mind at around 105. This game is so damned good that I thought it impossible for anything to screw it up beyond that point. Even up to star 70 it was saturated by more creative content than just about any game I'd played to date. It's truly a masterpiece, and I would have to argue already that it's the best game I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying in my 20+ years as a gamer.

Still in shock, no joke. Never thought I'd see the day...
I was in shock after star 1, I'm still in shock at star 35. And from the sounds of it I'm going to be shocked all the way through this stellar game. I was expecting great things from this game but it has far exceeded what I could have imagined.

Nabs

just got star 100 by beating
luigis purple coins
. only took 3 tries... kinda surprised by that.

Why would you do that? said:
Took some dolphin pictures!

No spoilers here, pictures are from within the first two worlds. Some of the pics have Bowser (not fighting him... Just him), so if you want to be surprised as to how he looks like, don't click.

you know they fixed that, right?
mahriod6m4.jpg

5:00 PM cannot come soon enough! My copy of SMG2 was delivered to my parents' house yesterday (I've yet to change the shipping address). My Dad brought it into work for me today. haha

If SMG2 fixed half of the problems with the first game, I'm going to have a very good Friday night. :)

The Blue Jihad said:
5:00 PM cannot come soon enough! My copy of SMG2 was delivered to my parents' house yesterday (I've yet to change the shipping address). My Dad brought it into work for me today. haha

If SMG2 fixed half of the problems with the first game, I'm going to have a very good Friday night. :)
It depends what your problems with the first game were. For me, 2 has pretty much addressed the issues I had with the first game, and more.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Started playing last night. I am only about 6 stars in and the game is amazing. Much better than galaxy 1 already. The whole experience is just more streamlined. I love the world map and the ship.

I thought mario galaxy 1 was the first true 3D platformer, and galaxy 2 takes that even further.

Galaxy 2 is already harder than most of Galaxy 1. Which is a great thing. I have lost lives, and I always feel like if I am off, I will pay the price.

Cant wait to keep playing.

only tiny gripe is that I feel the intro story could have been different. (not necessarily longer or fleshed out, just that it would have done something a tiny bit more different than SMG1)

zigg

The_Technomancer said:
Hey, is there any way to drop the drill powerup? I swear, Flipsville's purple coins is impossible without the backflip.

You can still do a spin jump though, as long as there isn't soft ground beneath you.

That was a pretty crazy level.

JRW

How do I get access to the shielded Comet coin on world 5 / fleet glide galaxy / fluzzards wild battlefield glide, I flew through all the checkpoints and it still didn't open like it had in previous fluzzard levels?

JRW

Nabs said:
you're probably missing one of the earlier ones
follow the 1up - shards

Turns out following the
trail of star bits took me to a 2nd checkpoint underneath an area you wouldn't normally attempt to go

Thanks.

dsister44

Setvan2734 said:
I really do want to buy this game, but i feel when I do, i will play only this game, till I 100% it. And i wont be able to go back to MH3 after that, and i really dont want to leave MH3 just yet...

This is why i'm glad the PAL version is delayed:lol

It's been a while since I've played the first galaxy, but is it just me, or did they actually polish the control and "weight" on mario even more in here? I thought galaxy one had some of the best(probably "the" best) 3D control I've experienced in a game, but it just seems even tighter in this version. I don't have my copy of it to compare at the moment...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
abstract alien said:
It's been a while since I've played the first galaxy, but is it just me, or did they actually polish the control and "weight" on mario even more in here? I thought galaxy one had some of the best(probably "the" best) 3D control I've experienced in a game, but it just seems even tighter in this version. I don't have my copy of it to compare at the moment...
I think that Mario's jump momentum from standstill feels better then Galaxy 1, but that could just be my mind tricking me.

Joei

abstract alien said:

I agree. I haven't played SMG in a while either, but these controls feel the same, but definitely different. I'd say, yes, a bit "tighter."

Question here. I saw some people mention the "cosmic witch" you get for dying so-many times in a level. If you make her appear, does it affect anything later in the game? For example, in NSMBW I think making the guide block appear de-sparkled your stars or something that were by your name when you beat the game. Is there something similar in this game?

Top Bottom