• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

wRATH2x

Banned
I love this game, much better than the first! I miss the hub world and I think the levels are waaaaay too short, but overall I'm glad Nintendo made this game.

ccbfan

HK-47 said:
Also I just lost 35 lives on Double Time Silver Stars on Beat Block Galaxy. Holy shit.

So far this by far the hardest comet for me. I lost like 20-30 lives doing this while I don't think I lost more than 5 doing any other.

I could only get the right beat once so that was enough for me to get to the first check point with Luigi and long jumps.

The 2nd part I had no clue what to do. So after failing like 10 times trying to get the beat correct (luckily there was a 1up on the way) I said f it and random long jumps and got to the next check point by luck(I only needed like 3 and since the first is like guaranteed it was really a 25 percent chance).

Third part I just used yoshi and only had to get the beat correct once since there was regular platforms.

I guess I just have no rhythm.

Eteric Rice

Kulock said:
So it's nagging me too much to not say anything. Before, Galaxy or New SMB Wii didn't bother me in how they still used a lives system, I thought they worked fine, but I know other people complained. Here, though, it just makes no sense. The game hands them out like candy, but it doesn't save them. If you save and quit, or beat the game, your stock is lost and you're back down to 4 extra lives. Right when you start back up again, you're faced with the Mail Toad with a 5-Up (which was like that in Galaxy 1), and a few repetitive "chores" you can do to get more. (Go hit cube. Go to Toadship. Get on Yoshi and eat all the berries. Cloud Mario one's too much work to mess with regularly.) The game passes them out like candy, often three at a time, but the moment you stop playing, you're back to the default stock.

With this in mind, the gambling game flies in the face of logic, considering Star Bits and Coins save between sessions, but the lives you earn from the chance games don't, so unless you're planning a marathon it's pretty much a waste. True, I don't think the coins have any other purpose, but I'd rather keep filling up my coin count than blow them on a few temporary 1-Ups.

I will say that for getting 120 stars, I'm happy that I don't think I triggered the Cosmic Witch (at least, I never saw her). Figured I would on that level with Rock Mario
where you have to bounce back and forth on those elastic bands on the borderless track
, I even walked out of that stage with 700-some Star Bits, but I never saw her.

I got her once I think. Never used her though.

Lijik

autobzooty said:
You just described why Mario 64 is not a platformer and should not be described as such. There's a very important distinction between action-adventure collectathons (Banjo series, Mario 64 and Sunshine), and the true blue 3D platformers (Galaxy is really the first game I can think of to do this properly)

Rayman 2?
Though I guess that depends on what you mean by properly.

Hobbun

Forkball said:
inorite. I'm all for a challenge, but some of the prankster comets vault over the line between challenging and frustrating/not fun. The bosses in this game are noticeably tougher, but I'm not complaining about them since the fights are actually interesting and fun. Kicking a bunch of spinies in 30 seconds with shitty obstacles everywhere isn't interesting or fun.

Also, I have to say that I'm pleased how they changed the lumas for the secret stars. In the first game, when they wanted star bits, they literally wanted every possible star bit you could find before you got to where the luma was. It was frustrating to dig up every single little star bit you could find. But I noticed that the lumas who want star bits (or coins) in this game want considerably less than in the original game, which is great since it is a bit more lax now.

Have to agree here, although my frustration right now is aimed at SMG1. And there are a couple stars (I can't get) like this for me right now in the game. Challenge is good, but when it gets to the controller throwing (no, I can’t do that, have it strapped on my wrist :lol), hair pulling frustration, it changes from a ‘good challenge’ to ‘unfun.’

Oh, and yes, I do know about the game aid for the second game, where it will run the course for you, but a bronze star? Ugh.

Eteric Rice

Hobbun said:
Have to agree here, although my frustration right now is aimed at SMG1. And there are a couple stars (I can't get) like this for me right now in the game. Challenge is good, but when it gets to the controller throwing (no, I can&#8217;t do that, have it strapped on my wrist :lol), hair pulling frustration, it changes from a &#8216;good challenge&#8217; to &#8216;unfun.&#8217;

Oh, and yes, I do know about the game aid for the second game, where it will run the course for you, but a bronze star? Ugh.

If you think Galaxy 2 is hard, try beating F-Zero GX.

I dare you. :lol

VerTiGo

Banned
Amazing game. Honestly, I loved the first game but within the first few mins I can tell it's a superior product over the first. Far more accessible and the pacing is great. I can't help but view this game as a remake however...

Hobbun

Eteric Rice said:
If you think Galaxy 2 is hard, try beating F-Zero GX.

I dare you. :lol

Well, like I said, my frustration is aimed at SMG1 right now (haven’t started SMG2 yet, want to beat the first one, first).

I am not doubting I probably will not be able to beat F-Zero GX, there are a lot games that are just beyond me. (Not a big fan of racing games anyways). But I do want to get through both Galaxies (at 120 stars) and I just hate stages where you have to do things “just right”, with no wiggle room.

glennw

Neo Member
IS it just me or does mario sometimes not spin jump when you want him to? I changed the remotes and batteries (maybe i need to change an option somewhere?) but it took me 20 goes to complete the floor flipping star and not because I couldnt do the platforming but because the game didnt respond to my flailing! Frustrating....that said...I LOVE THIS GAME

I beat the game on Tuesday with about 75 stars. I'm getting all the comet stars now and I'm currently at 103, This game is so much friggin fun. Hopefully today or tomorrow I'll have all 120.

By the way, in World 6
Throwback galaxy
and in Secret World
the Rainbow Road level
were amazing!!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
ccbfan said:
So far this by far the hardest comet for me. I lost like 20-30 lives doing this while I don't think I lost more than 5 doing any other.

I could only get the right beat once so that was enough for me to get to the first check point with Luigi and long jumps.

The prankster comet beat blocks galaxy was one of the last ones I did Wed. night when I last got a chance to play. I was on my very last life when I beat it, and I think I died 8 or 9 times in a row before I nailed it. Was very happy to avoid my first game over.

Lijik

Dr.Hadji said:
Rayman 2 has more platforming than Mario64? Wah?!
I brought it up because the game has a similar philosophy as Galaxy in mostly being about traversing difficult terrain from A-B as opposed to exploring an open area that made up a good chunk of Mario 64.

EDIT- I guess just so no one takes me the wrong way, I'm not saying Mario 64 isn't a platformer, I just feel Galaxy isn't the first 3d platformer of its kind that worked well.

While I like platforming I grew up with games that let you explore. Mario 64 was the first of its kind as a 3D game and I still think it's a genre that can advance a little more. :)

The pure platforming approach of Mario Galaxy is fun but I also like the more open areas in the game, especially the bee levels! Can't wait till MG2 is released here. :D

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I beat SMG 1 yesterday(great game). Still have to go back and get some other stars. But I think I will try SMG 2 first. Been waiting to give it a go.

Some of you guys are REALLY dreaming if you're attempting the argument that Mario 64 isn't a platformer.. it's one of the most fun platformers (3D) that exist! A lot of excellent platforming possible and required in the game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
But besides all that...

What the hell kind of Mario game has a "worlds" system, but doesn't have 8 standard of them?! I was expecting another whole two worlds there! :mad:

camineet

Banned
Is there another Ray Surfing level (Loop-De-Loop Galaxy) in SMG2 ?
I loved that one even though the controls sucked.

The visuals and color of Loop-De-Loop Galaxy reminded me of SEGA MODEL 3 arcade racers, Scud Race, Daytona 2
as well as Wave Racer.

super-mario-galaxy-20071031104325375_640w.jpg

SuperMarioGalaxy-RaySurfing.jpg

Zing

Banned
glennw said:
IS it just me or does mario sometimes not spin jump when you want him to? I changed the remotes and batteries (maybe i need to change an option somewhere?) but it took me 20 goes to complete the floor flipping star and not because I couldnt do the platforming but because the game didnt respond to my flailing! Frustrating....that said...I LOVE THIS GAME

My wife had this problem until I pointed out to her that she was "spinning" remote (waving the remote around in the air in a circle) instead of just shaking it quickly to the side. That fixed her.

Zing

Banned
Goddamn you have to push the A button a lot after each level.

Here is an example of what I had to go through several times today after finishing a level:

"Ok I got a star, push A
I got the comet coin, push A
Here are my starbits, push A
And my coins, push A
I unlocked a ghost, push A
New prankster comet has appeared, push A
For fuck's sake, Luigi is explaining how he works... again! push A
And he says two balloons of dialog, push A
My game is saved, push A"

Galang

Banned
Unbiased Basturd said:
13 stars in, at world 2.

This game is INCREDIBLY GREAT.

I died like 10 times at the world 1 boss though...

I didn't die on
Gobbleguts
, but damn it was such an annoying fight. And then just wait...
until the fiery version. Now this guy took about 20 of my lives. Hardest boss in the game for me so far, about 100 stars in.

Zing said:

Here is an example of what I had to go through several times today after finishing a level:

"Ok I got a star, push A
And my coins, push A

Mario is Canadian?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Zing said:

"Ok I got a star, push A
And my coins, push A

You forgot, "Call the wahhhmbulance, push A"

It's really not that big of a deal...

Amir0x

Banned
110 stars. This is so far beyond any game I've ever played it's sick. Every last aspect built to perfection. My only complaint for the game is beyond Super Mario Galaxy's ability to fix, so it's not even worth mentioning.

On the rare occasion Nintendo is ON in this day and age, they are fucking on. Reminds me why I used to be a Nintendo Fanboy *sniff*

wrowa

Moundir&Tony>you said:
Yes it is .

All those informations could have fit on one screen only . It really wasn't necessary .
It's hard to take you seriously after agreeing with one of the worst articles of the year. Makes you look like a typical hater.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
camineet said:
Is there another Ray Surfing level (Loop-De-Loop Galaxy) in SMG2 ?
I loved that one even though the controls sucked.

The visuals and color of Loop-De-Loop Galaxy reminded me of SEGA MODEL 3 arcade racers, Scud Race, Daytona 2
as well as Wave Racer.
No, but there are two similar levels where you fly a bird through a lush jungle and awesome looking lava-spaceship....thing. If you thought the controls for the manta race sucked, you won't like them here either, but the environments are gorgeous.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Amir0x said:
110 stars. This is so far beyond any game I've ever played it's sick. Every last aspect built to perfection. My only complaint for the game is beyond Super Mario Galaxy's ability to fix, so it's not even worth mentioning.

On the rare occasion Nintendo is ON in this day and age, they are fucking on. Reminds me why I used to be a Nintendo Fanboy *sniff*

I'm at 119 stars and if I had to say right now, knowing that I might change my opinion even a month from now or when I get my next star, I'm going to say that I like the first more.

IMO, SMG1 was a great gaming experience. SMG2 is just a great (maybe even a bit better) Mario game. But again, that's just my experience, and it may be my four replays and three years of nostalgia for the first talking.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm not sure I can decipher your comment, Andrex.

Great gaming "experience" vs. Just a great - "maybe even a bit better" Mario game?

I'll take the game that is better :p

Amir0x said:

Great gaming "experience" vs. Just a great - "maybe even a bit better" Mario game?

He probably means that the first one was special because of the new mechanics and the second one is better but doesn't wow you because obviously it has similar mechanics.

Amir0x

Banned
oh the tired and stale argument

i'm so happy i prefer games which refine proven gameplay mechanics over games which feel they need to provide some gimmick every new outing. Shame for Andrex I guess.

Amir0x said:

i'm so happy i prefer games which refine proven gameplay mechanics over games which feel they need to provide some gimmick every new outing. Shame for Andrex I guess.
Yeah I have to say that I already like Galaxy 2 better than Galaxy 1 and I'm at 30 stars. And it is because of the refinement. I have no idea what's coming for me in the rest of the game though.

Amir0x said:

Well, I don't get it either.

I don't get why people call this an expansion pack or Mario 1.5, what did they expect it to do, completely flip over the 3D gaming like the first one did and move away from a fresh and innovative formula that only one game used???

I'd take 7 of these games of "more of the same".

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Well, I don't get it either.

I don't get why people call this an expansion pack or Mario 1.5, what did they expect it to do, completely flip over the 3D gaming like the first one did and move away from a fresh and innovative formula that only one game used???

I'd take 7 of these games of "more of the same".

Eh, I dunno about 7...
3 is the perfect number (especially if 3 is on the 3DS).
They have to move away from this formula eventually.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
No, that's not what I meant, don't marginalize me or put words in my mouth before I've even said a damn thing. :lol

Amir0x said:

There are some aspects of the first that weren't strictly Mario that I liked better. The epic, space-opera-esque opening and ending sequences and cutscenes, for instance. And while it gets a lot of hate, the hub world (and optional storybook sequences) slowing you down made the game feel "deeper." That's not defendable to anyone, but it's just something I liked and made the game feel like an event every time you play, instead of just a game with levels in it.

I will say I like Starship Mario just as much as the Observatory, but for different reasons. And the level progression is better, because it's from past Mario games.

There are also some other little nitpicks I have that weight the game down lower than the first for me, but they're just my opinion.

To me, SMG2 doesn't do anything crazy awesome to wow me any more than the first did, the level design in both are just about equally awesome, so because of that, the smaller things are what make or break the experience for me.

Amir0x said:
much more fuck incredible?
I hope so! I'm just saying that I'm still early enough where I'm constantly wondering if I'm going to agree with the "10" scores, but I feel to truly assess this I need to make it through every star. Have you already decided this having made it through 100 or so stars?

Top Bottom