• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Andrex said:
Eh, really? Peewee Piranha, Diggaleg, Bugaboom, Whomp King...

The boss rush galaxy was just really lazy. Would have prefered it not in the game at all.

I was thinking about Giga Lakitu, Gobblegut, and the Bowser Jr. machines when I said that, but yeah, I stand corrected.

I COMPLETELY forgot about Bugaboom's return. :lol

Andrex said:
Bowser Jr's hammer mech seemed like something out of a Sonic game to me.

Particularly the Egg Golem from Sonic Adventure 2. In the way that it's fought, anyway.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I just got 120 and finished S World. Not as good as I hoped, but not nearly as bad as the last few pages of this thread led me to believe!
120! Boosh! Time to beat it again!

I've been staying out of this thread to avoid spoilers. I'm at 38 stars. Honestly, I didn't think Nintendo could repeat the success of SMG 1. They did it again.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
vazel said:
Those and the galaxies where Mario is on top of the giant ball are my favorites.

Luigi.jpg

So after 2 flights spanning 9 hours, I finally get home to see a package in the door. I open it up and of course it's the game. Despite being exhausted, I pop the game in and play until I get 5 stars. All I can say is WOW! This game is incredible and I'm not even an hour in. I'm too tired to really describe what I feel when playing the game (which is probably impossible in the first place) but let me just say that the fellas over at EAD are geniuses.

So far the hardest star and one I don't really understand how I accomplished in the first place (after an hour and a half of going full steam) was
The first Green Star in Stone Cyclone Galaxy, AAAAAGAGHHAHH! I was trying to jump up on the flipping box guys forever and it seemd I had a very small margin for error and finally I got fed up and did a backflip to jump up and I was thrown into orbit around the level and ended up hitting the star while inexplicably thrown into orbit....awesome and frustrating.;-)

Shizzlee

Yes, yes, I beat the game. Best game ever!

Incitemaybe said:
So far the hardest star and one I don't really understand how I accomplished in the first place (after an hour and a half of going full steam) was
The first Green Star in Stone Cyclone Galaxy, AAAAAGAGHHAHH! I was trying to jump up on the flipping box guys forever and it seemd I had a very small margin for error and finally I got fed up and did a backflip to jump up and I was thrown into orbit around the level and ended up hitting the star while inexplicably thrown into orbit....awesome and frustrating.;-)

Eh, for that one all I did was
time a triple jump with Luigi. That does sound awesome though. Were you in a specific spot when you did it because I would love to replicate it.

Shizzlee said:
Yes, yes, I beat the game. Best game ever!

Eh, for that one all I did was
time a triple jump with Luigi. That does sound awesome though. Were you in a specific spot when you did it because I would love to replicate it.

I tried triple jumping with Luigi and I just failed...lol I was hitting the slow motion switch across the chasm, long jumping over to where the star was and timing it so the big block was just about to land under the star everytime and either backflipping (if I was late to the spot) or crouching and backflipping to try to get on top of the block while it was still in slow motion. I found you can also "ride" inside the blocks as they are going so fast they just scoop you up and carry you around....at one point they tossed me high in the air too but that only happened once and the second time I was thrown into orbit around the path the block takes, but faster!

The last waste-bombing game in SMG1 is terrible! :O I'd like to have an instant try-again-button for this. After 40 tries I have stopped counting. :lol

My girlfriend wanted to see some of the game and, of course, as I was trying to show off I messed up more than I usually do.

I love that it is unapologetically a game. No fancy story, few intrusive cutscenes, and it's not trying to win over a 13 and up crowd. I like my space marines as much as the next guy, but it's nice to have something that's quality that the kids can play.

Varion

mutsu said:
I preordered the Japanese version of the game from Play-Asia back in 20th April, and the game just released yesterday in Japan. I was wondering why I still haven't received my shipping notification, so I checked their site and the game is currently back ordered! What the...

This is the first time I have preordered a game from Play-Asia and getting this treatment... does this mean the game is actually selling very well in Japan that they don't have enough to fill preorders?
Same here :l Ordered it mid-April and it still hasn't shipped.

If Club Nintendo run out of Galaxy 2 soundtracks before my copy arrives and I can register it...

theluma

Varion said:
Same here :l Ordered it mid-April and it still hasn't shipped.

If Club Nintendo run out of Galaxy 2 soundtracks before my copy arrives and I can register it...

I presume you'll need more than the amount of stars you'll get with Galaxy to get it...

Eff you Fluzzard ! The
two
stages he is in are really a pain in the ass. I really don't like the controls for gliding.
(Saying this well after I beat the stars, but they're really the worst stars to get in the
first half of the
game imo :/)

Okay guys, I have this thing where if I'm stuck on something pretty tough, for some reason when I first wake up in the morning I can do it on the first try. Can't explain it. That said, let's give the purple coin tree slide a shot here.

edit: used Luigi and got 104 coins and beat it. Mario truly is a worthless pot-bellied piece of shit.

Nabs

yeah i'm the same way. just beat beat block dt

cleared the first 5 worlds. having trouble finding the comet coin @ bowsers stage in world 6. =\

and screw
Stone Cyclone Galaxy

111 stars

Hey guys, just trying to figure out about this game..

I've played it for three subsequent nights and each night was pretty fun, but I'm not feeling that oogly love you guys seem to be feeling here. I never actually finished Mario Galaxy, maybe around 80-85% of completion before I let it fall to the wayside for whatever reason. I've booted it up occasionally for the fun of a little play, but not much otherwise.

I like Mario Galaxy 2. It's fun, I'm enjoying it I think, but when does it get better? I'm halfway through World 4 and I've been expecting a ramp up of some sort anytime.. but it never seems to come. I don't know if I'm looking for more difficulty.. a different sort of level design, or what. Just "something" I'm not getting. I find myself thinking Mario 64 had more memorable levels and begin to think that, in retrospect, Mario Sunshine was a pretty great game.

For one reason or another, I'm not feeling all the magic and I just can't figure out why that is.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Amir0x said:
A random thought. What is the significance of 120 stars and why does that seem to be the "BIG NUMBER" before the flip to the lesser stars or bonus?

I was just wondering. Not a negative thought or anything, it's just when I hit 120 I was thinking "boy, I would have loved 150 stars with more unique galaxies!"
I guess it's because 120 was the number of stars they managed to get into Mario 64, without any real significance (maybe they thought they felt enough), and then sticked with that number for the other 3D Marios just because (but added bonuses for players who wanted more). No hidden meaning that I know of, they probably feel like "enough" to make the game meaty.

DownLikeBCPowder said:

I've played it for three subsequent nights and each night was pretty fun, but I'm not feeling that oogly love you guys seem to be feeling here. I never actually finished Mario Galaxy, maybe around 80-85% of completion before I let it fall to the wayside for whatever reason. I've booted it up occasionally for the fun of a little play, but not much otherwise.

I like Mario Galaxy 2. It's fun, I'm enjoying it I think, but when does it get better? I'm halfway through World 4 and I've been expecting a ramp up of some sort anytime.. but it never seems to come. I don't know if I'm looking for more difficulty.. a different sort of level design, or what. Just "something" I'm not getting. I find myself thinking Mario 64 had more memorable levels and begin to think that, in retrospect, Mario Sunshine was a pretty great game.

For one reason or another, I'm not feeling all the magic and I just can't figure out why that is.

It's because you're thinking about shit like that the way a reviewer would instead of merely focusing on playing the game. You can't even word it properly to begin with, so it's most likely just you ruining the experience for yourself. :/

gerg

Holy Order Sol said:
It's because you're thinking about shit like that the way a reviewer would instead of merely focusing on playing the game. You can't even word it properly to begin with, so it's most likely just you ruining the experience for yourself. :/

Come on guys.

I, personally, didn't enjoy Super Mario Galaxy all that much. Sure, it was a fun game, but nothing that did much for me. Now, I'm not going to say that SMG is therefore a bad game - there is certainly room for it to be a good one I didn't like - but don't jump on people who just don't enjoy the same things as you.

Nicktals

Banned
DownLikeBCPowder said:

Might just not be your cup of tea. And, I mean, it's fun, and you're enjoying it. So at least it's not time wasted or anything.

For me, the level of thought that went into the level design just dazzles me. "How did they think of that?" is something I've thought numerous times throughout the course of this game. That may matter less for you, or it may not dazzle you the way it does for many of us. Nothing wrong with that!

I will say though, that your whole "mario 64 had more memorable..." may be a bit of nostalgia? Of course, what's memorable for one person isn't necessarily memorable for another, but I think it's rather undeniable that the level design here just craps all over that of Mario 64.

I just want to put it out there that I LOVE PRANKSTER COMETS! Goddamn, they just started appearing for me, I did like 7 in a row and absolutely loved each one!

kaskade

JodyAnthony said:
This is one of the best looking games I have ever played. The artists at nintendo blow my mind.
I thought the same thing. When I played it I was surprised I wasn't like, "this looks good...for a Wii game". I just said, wow it looks good overall.

This game evokes something in me that I feel when I watch Pixar movies. I haven't nailed it yet but it's awesome.

KingGondo

Banned
About 40 Stars in, game exceeding every expectation. The whole game is like a series of the best ideas from SMG1, with puzzle stages exceeding those in Mario Sunshine, a better map system, better music, and better graphics.

Simply awesome.

kaskade

Wii said:
That's got to be it. It's probably how damn awesome everything is. The world(s), and just how imaginative everything is. This completely justifies any doubts I ever had ever about owning a Wii.

First couple of worlds gave the feeling of an expansion pack, since world 4 though I've been constantly holy shitting myself by the inventive design.

One thing I can't properly express is how Galaxy 2 feels like old school nintendo gaming.
It's 100% pure platforming. It actually looks worse than the first game, more rushed/blurry textures, slightly more "angular" designs, but it's more focused on the gameplay.

It gave me the feeling of playing something like Super Mario Land 2: crazy mechanics, amazing level variety and platforming in every enviroment possible.

Christopher

Pretty dissapointed so far outside of Honey Hive Galaxy and a few other cool unique Galaxy's the worlds seem so small, disjointed, and have no focus. I really like large expansive theme worlds that Gaalxy had, it seemed to be a nice mix of small worlds and huge ones...this one just seems a mess.

Dr.Hadji

Christopher said:
Pretty dissapointed so far outside of Honey Hive Galaxy and a few other cool unique Galaxy's the worlds seem so small, disjointed, and have no focus. I really like large expansive theme worlds that Gaalxy had, it seemed to be a nice mix of small worlds and huge ones...this one just seems a mess.

Funny, I'd say the bigger worlds have less focus than the smaller ones. Maybe you're focusing on the wrong things. The smaller galaxies focus on presenting fun as concise a manner as possible. The larger planets present fun after having to find it in the levels (silver stars ahoy).

Nicktals said:
I will say though, that your whole "mario 64 had more memorable..." may be a bit of nostalgia? Of course, what's memorable for one person isn't necessarily memorable for another, but I think it's rather undeniable that the level design here just craps all over that of Mario 64.

I'm sure there's a tint of nostalgia as with anything which is old and looked upon favorably, but I would suggest that I do diverge a bit from the standard player who just *thinks* fondly on Mario 64, I play it pretty frequently and still love every ounce of near perfection it offers even today despite graphical age. Hell, IMO Mario 64 flat out controls tighter than SMG hands down.

Christopher said:

I can identify with this feeling, the disjointed and isolated areas. Sometimes I see an area and even if I like it, it feels like it's over so quick and that's the end of that.

jman2050

DownLikeBCPowder said:
I'm sure there's a tint of nostalgia as with anything which is old and looked upon favorably, but I would suggest that I do diverge a bit from the standard player who just *thinks* fondly on Mario 64, I play it pretty frequently and still love every ounce of near perfection it offers even today despite graphical age. Hell, IMO Mario 64 flat out controls tighter than SMG hands down.

Frankly, the fact that you have to control the camera in Mario 64 makes it an inferior control scheme by default.

I don't think Galaxy's excellent auto-camera gets enough love as far as facilitating the level design.

wRATH2x

Banned
WORLD FUCKING 6!!!

THROW-FUCKING-BACK GALAXY!!!!

MOTHERFUCKING MELTY MONSTER GALAXY'S 2ND STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus anal fucking christ at melty monster galaxy's 2nd star! The music! the graphics! The gameplay! the AWESOME!!!

This game I love, fuck Galaxy. Motherfuck Galaxy, this game just drowns it in diarrhea from 10000 kilometers up. :bow Super Mario Galaxy 2!

clav

fireside said:
Stone Cyclone Galaxy is the worst level in the entire game. God I hate that level.
That's exactly how I felt when I first saw it.

Out of all the fucking levels from the original galaxy, it had to be that one?

I thought it was a missed opportunity to
use a pointer created level as there weren't any at all. Just in short sections.

I have
stars, and these last few stars have
are things I would do in a Mario 64 game. I want to see how far I can push my Mario platforming skills to break the game. Long jumping and standing on platforms you wouldn't have thought of in the first place.

So far, I've been disappointed at half of the stars chosen, but the other half have been OK.

Top Bottom