• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

I really can't play Mario 64 anymore to be honest.
There are some badass videos of masters playing through the game though. It's more fun to watch than it is to play IMO.

Sigh I really should have bought a new TV. Sucks not being able to play SMG2 cause my TV is freaking ancient and shitty.

Arthrus

Christopher said:
Pretty dissapointed so far outside of Honey Hive Galaxy and a few other cool unique Galaxy's the worlds seem so small, disjointed, and have no focus. I really like large expansive theme worlds that Gaalxy had, it seemed to be a nice mix of small worlds and huge ones...this one just seems a mess.

It is very disjointed, and every level is a straight-forward march to the end. Personally, I hate the bee suit because it takes away your side-flip and back-flip and long-jump. I enjoyed getting all the stars, but don't let the crazy people on GAF guilt you for not thinking the game is perfect.

WillyFive

claviertekky said:
Sunshine is so bad that it should never been used as a reference.

Aside from the fludd-less stages.

I actually didn't like the stages that didn't use the FLUUD when I first played through the game. They felt so stupid.

wRATH2x said:
WORLD FUCKING 6!!!

THROW-FUCKING-BACK GALAXY!!!!

MOTHERFUCKING MELTY MONSTER GALAXY'S 2ND STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus anal fucking christ at melty monster galaxy's 2nd star! The music! the graphics! The gameplay! the AWESOME!!!

This game I love, fuck Galaxy. Motherfuck Galaxy, this game just drowns it in diarrhea from 10000 kilometers up. :bow Super Mario Galaxy 2!
Damn...I gotta go beat world 5, excuse me.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I really can't play Mario 64 anymore to be honest.
There are some badass videos of masters playing through the game though. It's more fun to watch than it is to play IMO.

Sigh I really should have bought a new TV. Sucks not being able to play SMG2 cause my TV is freaking ancient and shitty.
I totally agree. I can't stand the controls at all. There's something about them that just doesn't click with me anymore.

Then again, the game is totally excused because it was the first game to ever do anything like that.

LiquidMetal14 said:
WTF BBQ!~??!!?!? Get up in that ass!
wRATH2x said:
WORLD FUCKING 6!!!

THROW-FUCKING-BACK GALAXY!!!!

MOTHERFUCKING MELTY MONSTER GALAXY'S 2ND STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus anal fucking christ at melty monster galaxy's 2nd star! The music! the graphics! The gameplay! the AWESOME!!!

This game I love, fuck Galaxy. Motherfuck Galaxy, this game just drowns it in diarrhea from 10000 kilometers up. :bow Super Mario Galaxy 2!
God, grow up. I don't see this in other threads. Shit like this lowers the tone of the thread and makes me not want to read it.

Christopher said:
Pretty dissapointed so far outside of Honey Hive Galaxy and a few other cool unique Galaxy's the worlds seem so small, disjointed, and have no focus. I really like large expansive theme worlds that Gaalxy had, it seemed to be a nice mix of small worlds and huge ones...this one just seems a mess.

reminder that christopher defended sonic the hedgehog 2006

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I collected 40 stars and there have been many moments where I said to myself: fuck, this is genius. Amir0x got it right when he said this game reminded him why he liked Nintendo back in the days. If one game could deserve the word "magical" it would without doubt be this Mario galaxy 2.

It really is a much better game than the first as far as I'm concerned. No story bullshit. No stupid hub. Refined gameplay. Yoshi. Additional power ups. Crazier ideas.

I also think this game has the best level design ever created. As I said, there are times where you witness some of the most genius moments in the history of videogames.

And I'm not even a big Mario fan.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I just got my US copy (I'm in the UK) in the post today and played the first 3 or 4 levels. What can I say? It was just, brilliant. They cut out all the long-winded parts from the first game, and what you're left with is well, pure fun. The colour, the clouds, the music everything about it makes you want to smile. Just 4 levels in and already there have been several mechanics that could easily have had their own game built around them. I can only imagine what the rest of the game is like. :D

Boney

Banned
Visualante said:
God, grow up. I don't see this in other threads. Shit like this lowers the tone of the thread and makes me not want to read it.
Oh I´m sorry about that, perhaps we can have a cup of tea, while we ponder and debate about this interactive audiovisual product.

Would that be ok?

bridegur

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
So what is the GAF verdict? Is SMG2 as good as the first?

I'd say it's slightly better than the first, but it's obviously missing a bit of the freshness of the original, too.

Boney said:
Oh I´m sorry about that, perhaps we can have a cup of tea, while we ponder and debate about this interactive audiovisual product.

Would that be ok?
Sure as long as the milk in this tea isn't jizz all over my face.

Volcynika

Visualante said:

I see stuff like that in other threads all the time. You must not visit GAF much!

Varion

theluma said:
I presume you'll need more than the amount of stars you'll get with Galaxy to get it...
300 Points if you register Galaxy 2 (which is worth 30 on its own). I've got.... 270. So yeah, it'll use all the points I have but I can afford it. Been saving them all just for this moment.

wRATH2x

Banned
Visualante said:
Damn dude chill out, I've played some awesome levels and had a good time so I wanted to express it. You can just ignore it.

EmCeeGramr said:
reminder that christopher defended sonic the hedgehog 2006
Wat?

WillyFive

Visualante said:

Maybe the game actually deserves it?

Ever thought about that?

Games the quality of Super Mario Galaxy 2 are rare.

loosus

Banned
Willy105 said:
Maybe the game actually deserves it?

Ever thought about that?

Games the quality of Super Mario Galaxy 2 are rare.
Deserves it? :lol You act like this game is an extension of yourself. Maybe you should consider a new hobby for the benefit of your mental health.

Amir0x

Banned
Super Mario Galaxy 2 does "deserve" its accolades and acclaim. Your bizarre singular interpretation of what 'deserves' means is incorrect and has no place here.

Just like some movies deserve a best picture nomination due to its quality, Super Mario Galaxy 2 deserves the accolades due to its near perfect quality.

WillyFive

loosus said:
Deserves it? :lol You act like this game is an extension of yourself. Maybe you should consider a new hobby for the benefit of your mental health.

Maybe you are exaggerating. Extension of yourself? I don't get what you mean by that.

Maybe for the benefit of your mental health, you should try to understand what is going on in the thread.

loosus

Banned
Willy105 said:
Maybe you are exaggerating. Extension of yourself? I don't get what you mean by that.

Maybe for the benefit of your mental health, you should try to understand what is going on in the thread.
What I'm saying is that you need to stop getting huffy either way. It's a game. Life will go on.

wRATH2x

Banned
Ah fuck this bullshit, lets all agree that the game is awesome and move along.

So I'm about 67 stars in and no comets are showing up, so I take it I have to search for the hidden stars and get more comet medals. And get some starbits for the fucking luma's.

zigg

Blu_LED said:
Ice skating is pretty much sex in this game. It's amazing.

Though I already knew this, what cemented it for me was that boss battle on the ice rink.

wRATH2x said:
Ah fuck this bullshit, lets all agree that the game is awesome and move along.

Full support here.

wRATH2x said:
So I'm about 67 stars in and no comets are showing up, so I take it I have to search for the hidden stars and get more comet medals. And get some starbits for the fucking luma's.

That's pretty bizarre, I had them long before I got that far. 'Course I was getting each and every medal I could as I went along.

wRATH2x

Banned
zigg said:
That's pretty bizarre, I had them long before I got that far. 'Course I was getting each and every medal I could as I went along.
I was kind of steamrolling through the game with the idea that I'll do everything after I beat Bowser, so you can see how this shit got me stuck.

Amir0x

Banned
zigg said:
I smell a new powerup for G3.

how DOES Mario anchor the spring anyway...

super-mario-galaxy-2007101510513869.jpg

oh god... that looks painful...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Amir0x said:
how DOES Mario anchor the spring anyway...

oh god... that looks painful...
I always feel bad when Spring Mario bounces off his head. It should like, pile-drive his spine up through his legs or something.

eXistor

Visualante said:
Mario Galaxy makes gamers revert back to a childlike state (in a good way) I like to see ott reactions like this to the game, it makes me want to play it more (I got the game yesterday, but due to qorkshit I haven;t been able to play it yet). I went batshit insane all the time when I was a kid. I don't get that over games anymore, not really anyway., I think it's great that of all games, Mario Galaxy 2 brings this behavior out in people.

wRATH2x

Banned
I wouldn't want Galaxy 3 to tell you the truth. I liked Galaxy well enough and I'm fucking loving the shit out of Galaxy 2, but its time to move on to new things.

And yeah I'm still bitter I never got my Super Mario 64-2(Say DS I dare you, I triple dare you motherfucker), even though I would love that I'd love to see where Nintendo takes 3D Mario next.

The_Technomancer said:
I always feel bad when Spring Mario bounces off his head. It should like, pile-drive his spine up through his legs or something.
Well, Mario's shinbones should be driven up out of his legs when he falls from such great heights, but he seems to take it.

Amir0x

Banned
They should just remove all pretense of thematic unison from the next Mario and just call it "Super Mario Fucking Insanity", and every level should be a goddamn circus conveyor belt of crazy shit with platforms and dimensions and weird shit. One level he's in someone's stomach, the next he's in modern day New York, the next he's on fucking Pluto. Who the fuck knows! Everyone is the limit in "Super Mario Fucking Insanity!"

ITA84

Amir0x said:
They should just remove all pretense of thematic unison from the next Mario and just call it "Super Mario Fucking Insanity", and every level should be a goddamn circus conveyor belt of crazy shit with platforms and dimensions and weird shit. One level he's in someone's stomach, the next he's in modern day New York, the next he's on fucking Pluto. Who the fuck knows! Everyone is the limit in "Super Mario Fucking Insanity!"
By that definition of insanity, Super Mario Land 2 came pretty close.

Amir0x said:
Day -1

jman2050

Amir0x said:

I think Nintendo just completely struck gold with the thematic elements of this game. Forget trying to come up with some neat new gimmick or theme, just make Mario Galaxy 3. And Mario Galaxy 4. And Galaxy 5 and 6. Straight up go Mega Man on this bitch.

eXistor said:
Mario Galaxy makes gamers revert back to a childlike state (in a good way) I like to see ott reactions like this to the game, it makes me want to play it more (I got the game yesterday, but due to qorkshit I haven;t been able to play it yet). I went batshit insane all the time when I was a kid. I don't get that over games anymore, not really anyway., I think it's great that of all games, Mario Galaxy 2 brings this behavior out in people.
That's great, that's an amazing thing. And I totally get that 64 nostalgia too..
But when it becomes vulgar, featuring grotesque and pseudo sexual imagery it ceases to be childlike. Anyway this has gone as far as it needs to. I eagerly anticipate the European release.

Purple coins need to die.

The new Luigi level was pretty easy I thought, the Rolling Coaster one on Rainbow Road
wasn't that bad, only died 3 times but I was super stressed.

Lots of fun this here game.

Top Bottom