• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

soldat7

Well it came early and I love it. Unlike the first one, I don't want to play for hours on end, but I am quite satisfied snagging 3-4 stars and then moving onto something else. Despite being a little less fresh than the first one, it's an absolutely brilliant game.

loosus

Banned
Visualante said:
That's great, that's an amazing thing. And I totally get that 64 nostalgia too..
But when it becomes vulgar, featuring grotesque and pseudo sexual imagery it ceases to be childlike. Anyway this has gone as far as it needs to. I eagerly anticipate the European release.
Take it from me: the game is truly fun. Just don't let these over-the-top lunatics ruin it for you by setting it up as something that it's not.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Amir0x said:
They should just remove all pretense of thematic unison from the next Mario and just call it "Super Mario Fucking Insanity", and every level should be a goddamn circus conveyor belt of crazy shit with platforms and dimensions and weird shit. One level he's in someone's stomach, the next he's in modern day New York, the next he's on fucking Pluto. Who the fuck knows! Everyone is the limit in "Super Mario Fucking Insanity!"

Nah I prefer crazy cohesiveness. And I like the galaxies in 1 a bit more because they seem more expansive and complete usage of their concepts, outside of a few of the one star galaxies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Andrex said:
Eh, really? Peewee Piranha, Diggaleg, Bugaboom, Whomp King...

The boss rush galaxy was just really lazy. Would have prefered it not in the game at all.

Diggaleg is nothing like Megaleg or any other boss.

World 2 was pretty awesome. Even with how amazing the game started out, it's been getting exponentially better with each passing moment. Seriously, words cannot describe how awesome this game is and I hear it only gets better.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
If I could, I would whistle along to the flute portion of the honeybloom galaxy theme :lol

Volcynika

Beat the base game, and now have 80 stars. Fun ride all throughout, expect
that second stupid gliding level. Not fun :( I skipped it for now

kinggroin

Banned
Amir0x said:
They should just remove all pretense of thematic unison from the next Mario and just call it "Super Mario Fucking Insanity", and every level should be a goddamn circus conveyor belt of crazy shit with platforms and dimensions and weird shit. One level he's in someone's stomach, the next he's in modern day New York, the next he's on fucking Pluto. Who the fuck knows! Everyone is the limit in "Super Mario Fucking Insanity!"

That made me want to play Yoshi's Island again.

I got 120 stars!...woooo.:D

...and now for the
Cosmic Jewels.
:(

I really enjoyed the final level in the Secret World, I felt completely awesome at the end of the level.

WillyFive

loosus said:
What I'm saying is that you need to stop getting huffy either way. It's a game. Life will go on.

We are not the ones unhappy here. We are having a blast. We love games, and we love great games even more.

If you feel uncomfortable with gaming, then go to the Off Topic side of NeoGAF.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
CcrooK said:
Okay. So I haven't beat Galaxy 1 yet. Should I still get 2 and live the glory that all is saying?

As far as I am concerned they are extensions of each other.

eXistor

I've just played through world 1 and I think I can already safely say: GOTY. The sheer level of brilliance on display here is unparalleled. I also played the first level of world 2 and already my mind is reeling from the awesomeness. I can't wait to see what later levels and worlds will bring. As much as I love Mario Galaxy 1, I'm pretty confident Nintendo has already surpassed it, even this early on in the game I feel they've perfected this particualar series. What the hell will Nintendo do after this? Maybe a new franchise , because I can't see them making a new Mario that can top this.

WillyFive

eXistor said:
What the heck will Nintendo do after this? Maybe a new franchise , because I can't see them making a new Mario that can top this.

It's what they said about Mario Galaxy 1.

The great thing about Mario is that he can fit in with almost anything. His various spin-offs prove this.

Being a cartoon, it brings up endless possibilities.

Nicktals

Banned
Amir0x said:

But the lack of thematic unity and consistency in the mushroom kingdom is the reason why super mario galaxy 2 is a terrible game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HK-47 said:
As far as I am concerned they are extensions of each other.

I feel Galaxy 1 was the base and 2 is the extension. Galaxy 1 sets up a couple of important things that aren't completely explained in the sequel (Rosalina, Lumas, etc.) Not only that, Galaxy 1 is easier, so the transition between the games makes the ramp up in difficulty expected. If you do 2 before 1, you probably won't appreciate 1 as much because of its softer difficulty.

Anarchistry

I honestly think this and RDR are the two best games that have come out in a long time. Because of that, I have NO social life any more:lol

Jasoco

Banned
wRATH2x said:
I wouldn't want Galaxy 3 to tell you the truth. I liked Galaxy well enough and I'm fucking loving the shit out of Galaxy 2, but its time to move on to new things.

And yeah I'm still bitter I never got my Super Mario 64-2(Say DS I dare you, I triple dare you motherfucker), even though I would love that I'd love to see where Nintendo takes 3D Mario next.
I just don't know what they could do to top this that wouldn't still be considered a "Galaxy" game. There's no where to go now that he's gone into space!
Again.

Also, Mario 64-2 on DS would suck. I still hate that Yoshi's Island's sequel was on the DS instead of a console, a 64 exclusively on the DS would suck. Also, Wind Waker's direct sequels are on the WRONG FUCKING CONSOLE, NINTENDO! Fuck the DS! I want a Celda on the motherfucking Wii! And so does everyone else. But nooooo. The Wii is reserved for realism-Zelda. Fuck realism. But I digress...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jasoco said:
I just don't know what they could do to top this that wouldn't still be considered a "Galaxy" game. There's no where to go now that he's gone into space!
Again.

Also, Mario 64-2 on DS would suck. I still hate that Yoshi's Island's sequel was on the DS instead of a console, a 64 exclusively on the DS would suck. Also, Wind Waker's direct sequels are on the WRONG FUCKING CONSOLE, NINTENDO! Fuck the DS! I want a Celda on the motherfucking Wii! And so does everyone else. But nooooo. The Wii is reserved for realism-Zelda. Fuck realism. But I digress...
Changes in art style, time manipulation, momentum based platforming, light/dark world shifts. There is still tons of ideas you could fool around with.

jman2050

Nicktals said:
But the lack of thematic unity and consistency in the mushroom kingdom is the reason why super mario galaxy 2 is a terrible game.

33xx5py.jpg

I really liked how in one level (I don't remember which one) there's a column of fire spinning in the water as you swim through it. It almost sums up all of what Super Mario Galaxy 2 is, in a way. I also liked the amount of variety in this game in comparison to the first Galaxy. This game really feels like they threw in pretty much any decent idea someone came up with and then made it into a brilliant stage. The hub world is MUCH improved and also more charming. The power-ups were better utilized and the new ones are more inventive. The ideas that blew me away when I first saw them in Galaxy 1 are tossed around like its just some part of the level in Galaxy 2. The ONLY thing in Galaxy 2 that I think I liked better in Galaxy 1, thus far, is the final stage leading up to Bowser. It had a bit more of a grandiose feel in the first, I believe. But that stage in Galaxy 1 is also some of the finest 5 minutes of gaming to be found anywhere, on any system, from any generation. All in all, the only thing this year that I could possibly see ousting SMG2 for GOTY is Zelda Wii, but even that's pretty doubtful.

Props to nintendo for actually convincing me I had beaten Bowser during the 3rd fight. Usually I can sense when it just "feels" like the fight is over, but they really convinced me that I had beaten the game when I jumped to get the last grand star. I was thinking to myself "Well, that fight was a little improved over the last one in Galaxy 1, I suppose." And then Bowser lurched back up and grabbed the star back and I said "OH MY GOD SO MUCH BETTER!" I'm currently at 78 stars.

Amir0x said:

You understand. That's all there is to say.
Would buy this at the first nanosecond I see it in stores.

I have a question about the final "World":
In Special World there is one less Galaxy than in the other Worlds.........is there ever a Galaxy there? I have started getting the Green Stars and have read what you get for finishing with all 242....but it doesn't include a final Galaxy.

Jasoco

Banned
Nicktals said:
Galaxy doesn't take place in the Mushroom Kingdom. It takes place in space.

Jrmint

Jasoco said:
Again.

Isn't this the first Nintendo console since the SNES with more than one base Mario Game? And probably the first since NES with 3 Mario Games. I highly doubt we'll see another until Wii 2, or whatever comes next.

By base I mean not paper mario or spinoffs.

sgnhh

Neo Member
Biggest criticism right now: they introduce comets a little too late for my liking. They started appearing around star 30, and with my play style (like to fully complete each galaxy in order), it means I'm now having to go back and revisit all the same old galaxies. The comets for the first two worlds basically showed up at the same time. Overload. Wish comets would've been available around star 5 or 10.

Nicktals

Banned
Sorry, was trying to mock the "feels too disjointed", "not enough consistency among the planets" crowd.

Was a bit too subtle, I suppose. I don't want to be the next anihawk.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wasn't too keen on the first dozen or so green stars, but now that I'm approaching 140, they're starting to grow on me.
They've gone from "where the fuck are they?" stars to "I see you, but how the fuck do I get there? Cool!" stars. Man, this game keeps on delivering!

What are you guys' favorite levels so far? For me: Freezy Flake Galaxy, Throwback Galaxy, and Shiverburn Galaxy are all some favorites of the top of my head, although Throwback kind of earned its love the dirty, nostalgic way.

edit- I just realized there's a hungry Luma I never fed in World 3. Can't believe I bypassed an entire level. <3 Mario <3

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
sgnhh said:
Biggest criticism right now: they introduce comets a little too late for my liking. They started appearing around star 30, and with my play style (like to fully complete each galaxy in order), it means I'm now having to go back and revisit all the same old galaxies. The comets for the first two worlds basically showed up at the same time. Overload. Wish comets would've been available around star 5 or 10.
Thats sort of the point...

I finally made it to Throwback Galaxy after seeing everyone mention it. I knew it was a remake, but I didn't know what level it was.

I'm disappointed with which level they chose. I know why they picked the one they did
(it matches the "small area floating in midair" style of all the galaxies)
, but I wanted more.
I wanted Bob-omb Battlefield.

And just finished getting the very last star. Man, that last one was a pain.

Message board says it took me 32 hours. Awesome game, worth every second.

sgnhh

Neo Member
HK-47 said:
Thats sort of the point...

Yes, but personally, this is groan worthy. There's a reason I'm knocking out all the stars on each galaxy in one go, and it's not because I want to backtrack to world 1 when I'm in world 3 or 4.

I'd probably be less frustrated if the comets added something significant to the levels. So far it's mostly been "do this fast" or "watch out for 100 clone marios."

Lamel

Banned
I like how the hub mario-ship gets infested with a bunch of creatures from all over as you progress through the game. Feels like a whole community, very amusing :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EmCeeGramr said:
so you would say galaxy 2 expands upon galaxy 1, and places that expansion into pack form

If by pack you mean like a pack of gum, yes. I guess what I'm trying to say is Galaxy 2 is bubblegum.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
UltimateIke said:
I finally made it to Throwback Galaxy after seeing everyone mention it. I knew it was a remake, but I didn't know what level it was.

I'm disappointed with which level they chose. I know why they picked the one they did
(it matches the "small area floating in midair" style of all the galaxies)
, but I wanted more.
I wanted Bob-omb Battlefield.

They could have still chosen Rainbow Ride or Tick Tock Clock!

cory

Banned
I found the flying levels kind of easy, though I'll have to go back and get the comet coins in them cause I wasn't focused on items at all.
I'm not a fan of time limit based stars.

Nabs

5 stars left

the 2000 star luma
(the wicked wall jumps level)
is insane. i wish there were more levels like it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
cory said:
I found the flying levels kind of easy, though I'll have to go back and get the comet coins in them cause I wasn't focused on items at all.
I'm not a fan of time limit based stars.

Good luck with the Comet Coin on Fleet Glide. The stars are cake.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Nicktals said:

Meh, the complete lack of difficulty that makes it a little kids game is the reason for me.
Pretty colors & shiny graphics don't do it for me when everything is as easy as a tutorial.

Top Bottom