• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

one_kill

reggieandTFE said:
Does the game tell you this anywhere? Cuz if not, that's annoying. And secondly, what's the best level to farm starbits. I'm only at 7,000.
You can check by talking to the Toad banker.

As for starbits, just do stages you like. Some of the ones that has Yoshi are good for farming starbits (e.g., Yoshi Star Galaxy).

OMG Aero

I was only a couple of hundred star bits short when I was unlocking the last star but I found the floating assault course you do with rock Mario in the lava galaxy to be a good place to grind for it. The only thing to keep in mind is that you have to complete the level to get the star bits you earn during it, you can't just return to the hub.

BowieZ

Banned
OMG Aero said:
I was only a couple of hundred star bits short when I was unlocking the last star but I found the floating assault course you do with rock Mario in the lava galaxy to be a good place to grind for it. The only thing to keep in mind is that you have to complete the level to get the star bits you earn during it, you can't just return to the hub.
Yeah this was hugely frustrating when I figured out this after like half an hour.

G4 didn't nominate this game or a single Nintendo game for any award for their GotY awards. They didn't even have a best platformer category and didn't put SMG2 in the best action adventure game category (Which they consider it to be) :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Penguin

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
G4 didn't nominate this game or a single Nintendo game for any award for their GotY awards. They didn't even have a best platformer category and didn't put SMG2 in the best action adventure game category (Which they consider it to be) :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

It pains me more that God of War 3 got nominated over Epic Yarn for Best Art Direction.

swerve

No real shooting, and not HD. Doesn't that mean it's not even a videogame nowadays in most media outlets' eyes? :)

I need no validation from others, especially not game journalists, regarding my appreciation and love of certain games.

Galaxy 2 is a marvel. An enormous toybox of gaming creativity and finely tuned challenges. It's one of the finest games of all time, let alone this year. I still need 242nd star.... one for the holiday break, I guess!

Funny to see this thread bumped, I've finally finished this game yesterday. I'm hunting for more stars though, current count is around 80. Overall I was not very impressed with it. It suffers from the usual 3d platformer problems (camera, controls) and a lot of areas were actually not much fun. I'll start Galaxy 1 at some point, hope it's better.

DKCR is by far my Wii GOTY.

Cyan said:
Don't bother. If you didn't like Galaxy 2, the odds of you liking the first one are very low.

Well, I expect it to focus more on the core instead of stuff like bowling, bees and gyros. Also I wouldn't say that I didn't enjoy the game, it certainly had some memorable parts. Art direction, music and graphics alone make it worth a try. I guess my expectations were too high after the universal GAF praise.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm about 25 stars in and the game is incredible. Just like SMG1, it's nails pretty much every aspect of a game but it's even better with more challenge straight out of the gates and the removable of the big hub area. I'm liking all the new stuff like cloud Mario and especially Yoshi.

so good. They somehow took platforming perfection to the next level.

Ledsen

schennmu said:
Well, I expect it to focus more on the core instead of stuff like bowling, bees and gyros. Also I wouldn't say that I didn't enjoy the game, it certainly had some memorable parts. Art direction, music and graphics alone make it worth a try. I guess my expectations were too high after the universal GAF praise.

The variation in gameplay is a big part of what makes both games great. If you didn't like them in 2, you won't like them in 1.

swerve

schennmu said:

The first one is more gimmicky I reckon. SMG2 has more inventive secondary stars, too. In terms of memorable moments, nothing in the first game comes close to Melty Monster Galaxy, and nothing comes close to the platforming challenges of the 9th world in SMG2.

[Nintex]

Ledsen said:
The variation in gameplay is a big part of what makes both games great. If you didn't like them in 2, you won't like them in 1.
Super Mario Galaxy was more majestic in it's presentation and had more story. Both games are amazing but it seems that Super Mario Galaxy was somehow 'self aware' of how awesome it was, while Super Mario Galaxy 2 was like: "Yeah, I'm this awesome but not an attention whore".

Shiggy

AniHawk said:
Simpsons reference, where Malibu Stacy is marketed with a new hat, and all the girls go crazy over it versus the politically correct Lisa Lionheart.

So, basically, SMG2 is just SMG with a new hat.

It's a castrated SMG.
SMG2 = SMG - large worlds - story - challenge - novelty

swerve said:
The first one is more gimmicky I reckon. SMG2 has more inventive secondary stars, too. In terms of memorable moments, nothing in the first game comes close to Melty Monster Galaxy, and nothing comes close to the platforming challenges of the 9th world in SMG2.

Ok, this would be quite the turn off for me. Also wasn't Melty Monster Galaxy the one where you need to hover around by holding the a button? I hated that...

WillyFive

schennmu said:
Ok, this would be quite the turn off for me. Also wasn't Melty Monster Galaxy the one where you need to hover around by holding the a button? I hated that...

The hovering by star gameplay is around more in Mario Galaxy 1.

I noticed how little of it was used in Mario Galaxy 2.

Davey Cakes

The game carries over its themes from SMG, obviously, but it also includes numerous unique challenges and gameplay mechanics.

Basically, SMG2 suffers from sequelitis at times, but that doesn't mean it lacks novelty.

swerve

schennmu said:

Yeah, the grab-star stuff is much more common in SMG than in SMG2. Seriously, SMG2 is like the refined, streamlined, injected-straight-into-your-brain version of SMG. No fat, no fluff, no story, just jumping and spinning and smashing meteors into bowser.

Shiggy

Rash said:
The game carries over its themes from SMG, obviously, but it also includes numerous unique challenges and gameplay mechanics.

Basically, SMG2 suffers from sequelitis at times, but that doesn't mean it lacks novelty.

That's what I meant with "novelty". SMG2 is just more of the same and not fundamentally different. I would have hoped for some more surprises - Yoshi and the "change platforms through shaking" were some of them - but then again I am one of the few people who just didn't see any real challenge in the game (apart from the camera at times). That might be because I played SMG1 excessively though, thus I was already accustomed to how to solve problems in part 2.

Davey Cakes

Yeah, it depends on what your idea of novelty is in this case.

As for challenge, I found it challenging on a certain level, but not so much that I couldn't get all 242 stars in the game. That's because I'm genuinely good at platformers and because getting 242 in the first SMG made me more adept to the playstyle.

But, hell, there are people like my brother who got 120 in Galaxy and couldn't bother with trying to do the same for the sequel. And I remember in the official thread that some folks were having trouble just getting to Bowser.

If we took a survey, I'm damn sure that, in terms of challenge, SMG2 would come out on top. There will be people like you and me who conquered the game without much issue, and to us the game won't seem overly difficult, but we're few and far between.

It's the same case for NSMB Wii. The game was quite divisive. Some thought it was way too easy. Some thought it was too hard. I enjoyed it but beat it 100% without issue. That's the just the way things are sometimes. I'm not going to deny that the game might be challenging to others, though, and I will note that NSMB Wii's difficulty over NSMB DS's is clear.

BowieZ said:
If you love 2D Mario games, DEFINITELY play SMG2 first. It's by far the better game. And if you like it enough that you really want more, then I would go for SMG1. But before either of those make sure you play NSMBW first. It's better than both.

dhhGq.jpg

Yagharek

I "finished" this today - got all the stars and comet coins up to the final boss. Final boss was pretty easy I must say, but it was a good level of variety in that entire level.

One beautiful level I found was the Slimy Spring one,
when you come out of the underwater cavern to a quiet sunrise in a grassy field.
- I think thats spoiler worthy, its a really nice moment in the game, kind of like walking into the garden set of galaxies right up the top in SMG1.

Now Ive got 113 stars. Done a few of the post-game challenges. This game keeps getting better and better. :lol

donny2112

At the start of this game, it was very chorelike. "More stars to get just by getting through these levels. Ugh." By the last level and especially the
Bonus Galaxy
, it was getting much better and even a little frustrating. ("Little" frustrating is a good thing. i.e. You can get it; it'll just take time. When games cross over to the "ridiculously" frustrating is the problem.) Then the
Green stars
came. "Ugh. I have to go through
all these again
?!? No thanks." So I put it down and let someone else try it for a bit. It was totally different than what I was expecting, though.
Just finding the green stars is half the challenge. Really makes you explore the worlds, which is a good thing! Then you have to push yourself to try preternatural jump combos to get to heights you might've never thought you could reach or bothered trying with in the main game.
Oh my goodness! This is a classic platformer.

clemenx

Banned
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinally bought this, SMG is my game of the forever, I hate myself for not buying this at launch but surprisingly enough, I managed to not see or read ANYTHING about the game :D. Love it as expected, just pure joy, the 1st Bowser encounter is too epic for being the 1st :D Giant-ass Bowser ftw.

Also, what's the opinion about the OST? I'm only on world 3 but while the soundtrack is excellent again, I don't really find it memorable like the 1st SMG, I hope there are some epic tunes more into the game.

Just got the last star, wtf, that was ridiculous....but I immediately went and beat the lost levels on Super Mario All Stars because I felt up to the challenge -

What a difference in controls :lol

clemenx

Banned
Just got to Throwback Galaxy. Biggest smile ever in my face thanks to Bob-omb Battlefield. Then I get into the tree and there's no owl. Fuck this game.

Socreges

Banned
I've got around 40 stars now and this game is really beginning to turn into something special. I don't think I'll bother trying for 242 - or even 121 - but it's certainly a terrific game.

Question:
Are stars 122-242 just the same but you have to use Luigi? And is the bonus for getting all 242 really all that worthwhile?

Wizpig

Socreges said:
Question:
Are stars 121-240 just the same but you have to use Luigi?
It's something better, i'd rather not spoil it for you... it isn't the same bonus as Galaxy 1 though, it's definitely better as i said.

You can expect *some* original content.

clemenx

Banned
There is too much focus on comet stars after the main game is done, IMO. I'd rather they had bigger galaxies so we could have more unique stars or even more galaxies (Though, I managed to not read ANYTHING about the game, so I'm not sure if the green stars are unique, I hope so).
Some of these purple coins stars are ridiculous (I'm looking at you, Rainbow Road purple coins!) I know they wanted to add more difficulty but this was not a good way to do it, I think.

Anyways I will complete the game because I'm reading that the reward for 242 stars is fuck awesome but I've managed to not read what it is :D I just hope the game picks up again with the green stars, I'm at 108 now and I'm having a hard time doing the comet stars I'm missing.

zigg

clemenx said:
There is too much focus on comet stars after the main game is done, IMO. I'd rather they had bigger galaxies so we could have more unique stars or even more galaxies (Though, I managed to not read ANYTHING about the game, so I'm not sure if the green stars are unique, I hope so).

I have to vehemently disagree. Part of what makes Galaxy 2 such a wild ride is that they kept the number of stars per galaxy way, way down. That's one of 64 and Sunshine's key flaws—you get umpteen-billion stars per world by putting in stupid ones (like the requisite "find 100 coins" stars... blue coins are the natural extension of this.) The first Galaxy still had too many per, but started to break out by sheer force of will, making sure that the stars were as good as possible, and by using comets to remix the good ones where possible.

clemenx said:
Some of these purple coins stars are ridiculous (I'm looking at you, Rainbow Road purple coins!) I know they wanted to add more difficulty but this was not a good way to do it, I think.

They can get a bit over-the-top, but I'd rather have that than just being told to look around and find them all. I eventually got even that one. :D

clemenx said:
Anyways I will complete the game because I'm reading that the reward for 242 stars is fuck awesome but I've managed to not read what it is :D I just hope the game picks up again with the green stars, I'm at 108 now and I'm having a hard time doing the comet stars I'm missing.

It's the reward for 240, actually. Then one more for 241 and a bank full of Star Bits. I kinda think you might not like it though. I may be wrong!

Shiggy

clemenx said:

Don't set up your expectations too high, the green stars are rather boring and don't provide and extra challenge. Expect them to be somewhat boring and frustrating at times, then you won't be disappointed.

Davey Cakes

Shiggy said:
Don't set up your expectations too high, the green stars are rather boring and don't provide and extra challenge. Expect them to be somewhat boring and frustrating at times, then you won't be disappointed.
I will say that it seems like people keep worshiping the Green Stars, when they really don't provide an experience better than the first 120 stars. That said, they are fun and provide decent replay value. There just happens to be a bit of a chore involved with re-entering a galaxy every time you want to go for a Green Star, especially if said Green Star is REALLY easy to acquire.

Then again, some of the Green Star placements are BRILLIANT and totally worth the slight slog through the easier ones. Sometimes the level design truly is taken to its near-maximum if not maximum for some of these things. The clever placement leads to rewarding recovery.

I think I would've enjoyed going for the Greenies more if I had waited a bit after finishing the initial 120. But I ended up going straight into the "second quest" since at the time I just couldn't get enough of Galaxy 2, didn't want it to end, and had no interest in playing anything else. But, as it was better to wait for the Luigi playthrough in Galaxy 1, and was better to wait an appropriate amount of time between playing both Galaxy games, it seems like the Green Star quest might be improved after taking a hiatus.

gdt

At 98 stars, getting these medals is hard. Can't even find them in some levels, and have no idea how to unlock the medals in those flying bird galaxies. Wanna get to 120, then I'll leave the green stars for a few months down the road.

WillyFive

gdt5016 said:
At 98 stars, getting these medals is hard. Can't even find them in some levels, and have no idea how to unlock the medals in those flying bird galaxies. Wanna get to 120, then I'll leave the green stars for a few months down the road.

Have you tried going through all the loops?

gdt

Okay, got 120 stars, but now I have to beat "That Guy" and "The Monster"...they mean Bowser, right?

The game isn't really indicating that, outside of those two green stars...

Pride

While this is a good game the control's are, at times, extremely frustrating and what has kept this from being a great game in my opinion. Precise jumping on certain levels (like the one where you need eo earn 10k points by jumping on the rock spitter things to beat the ape for a star) is enough to make me throw my Wii out the window.

I am actually surprised the controls havent led to a lower metacritic rating.

CoolS

Pride said:
While this is a good game the control's are, at times, extremely frustrating and what has kept this from being a great game in my opinion. Precise jumping on certain levels (like the one where you need eo earn 10k points by jumping on the rock spitter things to beat the ape for a star) is enough to make me throw my Wii out the window.

I don't get this at all. The controls are near perfect, and I can always jump where I want to jump, especially on that level you mentioned.

Pride said:

Maybe you need new batteries?

linkboy

Sorry to bump this, but I'm having trouble in Melty Monster Galaxy with the Magnificent Magma Sea star. There's a part where you have to grab the blue hover stars and get to a launch star while surrounded by lava planets and lava monsters.

I can't get to the launch star no matter what I do. Its made it to where I can't play or progress in the game.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and how to get passed it.

linkboy

Cyan said:
You know how if you grab a pull star, start going, and then let go of it before you get there, you keep flying in that direction?

Do that.

Thank you so much, can't believe it was that simple. I feel like face palming myself.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I finally beat the Perfect Run the other day. I'd been collecting the Green Stars since the game came out, and I finally completed the bastard thing. Whoever designed that section with the Hammer Bros. can burn in hell.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ushojax said:
I finally beat the Perfect Run the other day. I'd been collecting the Green Stars since the game came out, and I finally completed the bastard thing. Whoever designed that section with the Hammer Bros. can burn in hell.
Yep, way to end a great game on a bitter note by rehashing an otherwise fun stage and applying the one-hit + no checkpoints bs which just makes it time-wasting and annoying. I only completed it out of spite and because I knew it would be a blemish whenever I thought of the game. I had managed to forget about it but then I clicked the thread, sobs.

Davey Cakes

The Hammer Bros. part of the Perfect Run is a toughy, but honestly it's more a matter of patience than just a matter of pure skill. If you're careful you can pick the Bros. off pretty much one by one. While this is pretty risky in itself, it also disperses the risk. I mean, if you just charge in trying to dodge everything, you may win out if you're good enough and have Matrix-like dodging skills, but one little mistake and that's it.

The thing about The Perfect Run is that it's a bit unnerving. Easy to get frustrated with. It's designed so that by the end you'll just want to get it over with and will screw everything up, or will go in being cocky and try to pull off the Matrix moves. Honestly, do what the game doesn't want you to do, and just relax a bit and take your time. Pause the game, breath, think, strategize, and approach it with a level head. The balance of skill and thought is what's important.

That's kind of why The Perfect Run may be called an excellent way to end a game. It calls on more than platforming skill. It serves as a culmination of the processes and experiences that you've been though. Difficult, of course, but also a matter of putting your gaming abilities and tendencies to the test.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Removal of all checkpoints still suck in any case, I don't want to be forced to waste my time in the inital boring parts that I mastered hours ago just to get back to the real challenging area(s) that's giving me trouble. It's just unfun having to replay those first Yoshi parts over and over again.

Top Bottom