• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

MYE

GDJustin said:
- Haven't played my Wii in literally 6+ months and goddamn... I wish the Wii were an HD system. After playing Uncharted and Halo... Wii games just look awful.

Looks like something straight out of Youtube comment :lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Feep said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Kaijima said:
I'm gonna assume you mean Wii /upscaling/ on your very fine HD tv looks awful.

'cause Galaxy 2, in terms of art, modeling, animation, effects, draw distance, scale, texture work, and even geometry, is one of the finest productions this generation.

Upscaled in Dolphin to take care of that pesky 480p problem, it looks like a dang 360 game. (A 360 game of that style, the colorful cartoon world.)

MYE said:
Looks like something straight out of Youtube comment :lol

No need for the lols or for being butthurt. I stand by my comment. I don't use my Wii that often, and when I DO play it, I'm usually playing something that doesn't draw comparisons to HD consoles, like NSMB Wii or Wii Sports. Galaxy 2 is the first 3D action/adventure game I've played on the Wii in probably over a year. So it was jarring to go from crisp PS3/360 visuals back to the Wii's, well... sub-HD visuals.

Game is great, though. I'm up to about 45 stars now and loving it. It's just so jam-packed with... ideas. I love every new galaxy because I know it's going to show me something new. Probably my favorite platformer since SM64. I definitely am having more fun than Galaxy 1.

AniHawk

GDJustin said:
Game is great, though. I'm up to about 45 stars now and loving it. It's just so jam-packed with... ideas. I love every new galaxy because I know it's going to show me something new. Probably my favorite platformer since SM64. I definitely am having more fun than Galaxy 1.

it's like gamefaqs levels of trolling or something

WillyFive

Hey, don't make AniHawk nervous, guys. You know how he gets.

Anyway, I'm sure a lot of people can't stand certain graphical stuff. Some can't stand lower resolutions, others can't stand screen tearing, others can't stand pixelated shadows, others can't stand popping in textures, and others can't stand bad framerate.

Be lucky Mario Galaxy 2 only has one of those.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
AniHawk said:
it's like gamefaqs levels of trolling or something

?? I don't understand.

I feel like I'm being reverse trolled. I didn't think complaining about the Wii's lack of graphical horsepower and then praising SMG2's gameplay was going to be a controversial post. o.0

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Bullshit: having to watch the credits twice in order to unlock the green stars.

In my case it was thrice because I forgot to grab the comet coin on my first run of the last Bowser level.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Willy105 said:
I know, right?

I'm still at 160 stars though.

Nintendo cutscenes are shit.

They are double shit when they aren't skippable.

They are triple shit when they are the credits of the game; that's what I got the soundtrack for.

Oxx

I've only just started this game.

I've been mostly playing turn-based DS games this year... and it really shows. I'm dying all over the place.

But at least I'm already humming the music.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nice timing with the bump, I finally got my SMG2 today. I loved SMG1 and it's been several months since I 121'd it, so I am ready for the sequel.

I hope it kicks my ass, can't wait. :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
it's...beautiful

I'm a few levels in, and just like SMG1, it's a massive explosion of joy and awesome. Everything feels pretty familiar so far, but that's not a bad thing. I'm glad they removed the hub and Yoshi is a welcome inclusion. I look forward to indulging in this game over the next month or so.

one small complaint: I don't know why, but I really miss Yoshi's signature "harrrrrr" noise when he double jumped in Smash Bros/Mario 64DS. It doesn't feel right without it.

it looks amazing on my TV, the colors, goddamn son...

these really are the best looking console games this gen, I don't care what resolution it is

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I was mad yesterday after losing 4 online matches in a row in PES, so I decided to calm down playing Mario Galaxy 2. There's indeed some joy hidden in this game. While I'm not that much into platformers, I spent 5 hours on it (I now have 42 stars). Pretty fantastic ideas in every levels.

Nintaiyo

I just can't bring myself to complete the second 120 stars. Once you know where they are, they're fun to get to, but wasting the time to actually find them is a pain.

Nintaiyo said:
I just can't bring myself to complete the second 120 stars. Once you know where they are, they're fun to get to, but wasting the time to actually find them is a pain.

But the reward is oh so sweet.

Dilemma

So, I'm thinking of buying the Wii Mario anniversary edition. I have actually never held a Wii controller in my hands so I hope I'm in for a treat. =)

I want to buy one extra game, my candidates are Mario Galaxy 1 or 2, I want to get both eventually, which one should I buy first?

I've read the second part is better, so I'm more excited for that, but getting part 1 after I've finished part 2 might ruin the experience.

I would aim to get all stars, I also got all 120 stars on the N64 version.

Dilemma said:
So, I'm thinking of buying the Wii Mario anniversary edition. I have actually never held a Wii controller in my hands so I hope I'm in for a treat. =)

I want to buy one extra game, my candidates are Mario Galaxy 1 or 2, I want to get both eventually, which one should I buy first?

I've read the second part is better, so I'm more excited for that, but getting part 1 after I've finished part 2 might ruin the experience.

I say go for 1 first. Both are amazing, but the improvements in 2 are noticeable.

Of course, some people still like 1 more because of the bigger levels and stuff. You really couldn't go wrong with either.

Mzo

Snuggler said:
one small complaint: I don't know why, but I really miss Yoshi's signature "harrrrrr" noise when he double jumped in Smash Bros/Mario 64DS. It doesn't feel right without it.

Now I'm trying to figure out which games had either the grunt or the flip-flip-flip jump noise.

The original SNES Yoshi's Island had the flip-flip-flip but that was later changed to the grunt for the GBA release...

I think the grunt noise was introduced in Yoshi's Island, then carried over to Smash Bros. and everything else Yoshi was in (except Sunshine and Galaxy 2?)

Weird.

Mzo

Dilemma said:

You're not. I personally didn't like Super Mario All-Stars enough to buy it when it came out in 1993, and I definitely wouldn't buy the exact same game 17 years later at nearly the same price.

Play through Galaxy first. The second game is an expansion of the first, and it'll be a better experience if you've gotten used to the controls.

Getting all the stars in both games isn't overly difficult or time-consuming, you should be fine.
If you're a real man you'll get 240 stars in the first Galaxy game.

BowieZ

Banned
If you love 2D Mario games, DEFINITELY play SMG2 first. It's by far the better game. And if you like it enough that you really want more, then I would go for SMG1. But before either of those make sure you play NSMBW first. It's better than both.

AniHawk

Dilemma said:

I say go for SMG1, then get NSMBW and SMG2 later on. You'll be working your way up on the level of "oh my god, this is an incredible fucking game."

Davey Cakes

AniHawk said:
I say go for SMG1, then get NSMBW and SMG2 later on. You'll be working your way up on the level of "oh my god, this is an incredible fucking game."
It was the actual order that the games came out, but it's also just a pretty natural progression from one title to another.

Galaxy 1 is mostly about being an amazing 3D Mario experience with some new quirks. NSMBWii is about being a pure 2D Mario experience that serves as a bit of a culmination of what came before. Then Galaxy 2 combines what you got with SMG1 and NSMBWii. It refines the 3D play while adding new mechanics (i.e. Yoshi), streamlines the level selection, utilizes a lot of sidescrolling, goes all out with creative level designs, and applies NSMBWii's perfect difficulty progression.

There's pretty much no way to match the universal appeal of New Super Mario Bros., but with Galaxy 2 at least Nintendo tried. That's what's impressive. And if you play Galaxy 2 last, even though it's considered by many to be the best of the newer Mario games, you get to see the result of Nintendo's progression more clearly.

Chittagong

Gold Member
got 120 stars, pretty awesome game. thinking of packing it up since I'm not really up for grinding the same levels for green stars... is that all there is left?

zigg

Chittagong said:
got 120 stars, pretty awesome game. thinking of packing it up since I'm not really up for grinding the same levels for green stars... is that all there is left?

Yes, but give them a chance. I was kinda "eh" at first but they really got pretty sweet later on.

Chittagong said:

I just did this a few hours ago too, great game and it seems better than Galaxy 1's endgame but I'm not sure how far I'll get...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ah, don't remind me of this game. I'm dying to play it but after getting a couple hours in I decided to shelve it until I finish my current games so I can play it exclusively for maximum enjoyment.

Almost there!

WillyFive

User33 said:
The complaint about the graphics was perfectly justified. Super Mario Galaxy 2 has amazing gameplay, but looks noticeably worse when playing it after a 360/PS3 game. Not sure why the guy who said it is getting trolled for that comment. People aren't allowed to express their opinions?

But there is a total different context. If it was on the same system, then it would totally be fine to speak bad of the graphics compared to another game. But it was comparing an HD game to a Wii game.

Everybody knows a Wii game isn't going to compare in technical graphics, so there's no reason to say something everybody already knows, unless it's just to annoy people.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I was just playing Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time last night, and the thought "I've never finished damn Mario Galaxy 2" popped into my mind. A Crack in Time is the first game that I've seen even remotely try to cop the "sphere world" design that Mario Galaxy has. It doesn't do as good of a job, but I would like to see the design done in a few other games.

AniHawk

Adam Prime said:
I was just playing Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time last night, and the thought "I've never finished damn Mario Galaxy 2" popped into my mind. A Crack in Time is the first game that I've seen even remotely try to cop the "sphere world" design that Mario Galaxy has. It doesn't do as good of a job, but I would like to see the design done in a few other games.

Eh, R&C did it way earlier than SMG or A Crack in Time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
BowieZ said:
If you love 2D Mario games, DEFINITELY play SMG2 first. It's by far the better game. And if you like it enough that you really want more, then I would go for SMG1. But before either of those make sure you play NSMBW first. It's better than both.

@____@

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I was doing alright in Grand Master Galaxy til I got to the part with the octopi and the rings of death. An hour later, I finally get to the Hammer Bros. and I'm all like HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO THIS. Grand Master Galaxy after a marathonic run of a hundred green stars != good idea.

I'm quite dissatisfied with this game as it is. However, I have to say it is much better than the first Galaxy; it's just that it's very stubborn with some of its most basic of interface choices. More on that after the rage.

one_kill

Regulus Tera said:
Uh why is The Perfect Run not appearing? I already grabbed the coin.

Don't tell me I have to beat Bowser again. Goddammit.
You've got to get 9999 starbits in the toad bank.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Freezie KO said:
But The Perfect Run is AWESOME.

So? I'm not gonna spend another half an hour of my life on the Melty Monster Galaxy level bouncing between rubbers just to unlock what's essentially a romhack of an existing level.

It's telling of many of the design choices that bothered me from the first game, even: tons of menus and requirements that only hog down the experience. I hate to be a proponent of instant gratification, but this is a fucking video game. I already "earned" that last level by finishing the one immediately before, which was admittedly amazing.

Why do I have to take a few steps on the Faceship before going into the World Map?

Why does the game show me an animation of Mario/Luigi flying to the Galaxy before letting me select a level?

Why does it not let me select the level from the World Map?

Why do I have to watch the level introduction again for the green stars?

Why do I have to beat Bowser twice to unlock the green stars? It's not a particularly fun battle.

Both games are full of stupid design choices like this that make playing a chore. It's one of the reasons I say 2D Mario is vastly superior to 3D Mario: You choose a level and you start playing one or two seconds after that. I don't have the time any more to finish a game in one sitting; I had to wait for a holiday before finishing this one.

Both Galaxies are some of the most tightly designed, funnest, and astounding video games ever. They have a perfect combination of audiovisual and structural artistry, eliciting wows from the player quite often. But that does not mean the filler is any less pointless. It's just pretty pointless filler.

5/5, still.

Regulus Tera said:
I don't have the time any more to finish a game in one sitting; I had to wait for a holiday before finishing this one.

I'm with you on most of that. Although I do like dicking around on the Faceship in between levels if I want to.

But... are you saying that you waited for a holiday to finish this in one sitting? Because that would explain if you don't want to immediately go back and play some levels again. I mean, are you ethically opposed to game saves or something?

Come back in a week and replay some levels for starbits. The levels will still be fun, and you'll unlock The Perfect Run. I agree you shouldn't have to. I don't really like unlockable things when it comes to gameplay content. But it is what it is, and I think it's worth getting the last level.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What I'm saying is that I don't have the time to play video games unless it is in short spans. Having to wait three minutes or so (once you factor in having to swap discs if I have another game in, loading the disc, loading the title screen, choosing the save file and everything previously mentioned) to even choose a level makes me not want to play the game. I only ever finished SMG2 because I had one day off from all my responsibilities.

I don't feel compelled to do The Perfect Run. It's basically a one-hit run with some different enemy placement. My backlog is already huge, and I could be playing something more immediate on my DS or PSP.

AniHawk

Smiles and Cries said:
what does new hat mean?

Simpsons reference, where Malibu Stacy is marketed with a new hat, and all the girls go crazy over it versus the politically correct Lisa Lionheart.

So, basically, SMG2 is just SMG with a new hat.

Top Bottom