• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Man God said:
I can understand people having trouble with Fluzzard but the rolling ball is an absolute joy to control.
I think you got that backwards dude, I can see why someone would dislike the ball levels because they give you the impression that your control over the ball's movement is limited, but the Fluzzard controls are absolutely perfect and there's really no excuse for anyone to find them difficult.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I didn't have any particular problems with Fluzzard or RR but some people just have issues with motion controls entirely no matter how perfectly coded they are, it's not hard to understand. I certainly wouldn't miss them at all if they weren't in the game (I liked the rolling ball stages in SMG1 though).

WillyFive

The Fluzzard stages handle like a dream, I can't see why people have such a hard time with them.

It's so fun to ride the current and go through canyons effortlessly at high speeds.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I love all of the SMG and SMG2 mini challenges, but I guess jittery people have real trouble with the Flying/Manta racing.

Some of those green stars on the flying levels though... Man.

Busaiku

I never had a problem with the Manta Ray stages, I'd say they were fun overall, but the Fluzzard levels were almost impossible.
The ball levels though, I felt were greatly improved in this game. I felt they were as frustrating as the Fluzzard levels in the 1st game (of course I hadn't experienced Fluzzard then, but that's how I feel now), but here, it's so simple and very enjoyable.

Nabs

Man God said:
I can understand people having trouble with Fluzzard but the rolling ball is an absolute joy to control.

i can't understand people having trouble with either. actually, i could see a faulty controller causing problems.

Davey Cakes

Busaiku said:
but the Fluzzard levels were almost impossible.
Impossible? Once I grasped the controls (which took a few tries, but I eventually got it), everything was fine. As people have said, the green stars are a bit tricky, but that's it. Otherwise the challenge for Fluzzard's stars are just right. For example, when doing the "races" I felt that, when I lost, it was just because of something I did wrong, and that the controls really didn't have anything to do with it.

Ledsen

Himuro said:
I'm still curious about this. What levels are people finding harder? It's that much more difficult at all.

SMG2's "difficulty" is overstated.

Well, she (my girlfriend) is getting frustrated with SMG2 because to her, it's much harder than the first one. She dies a lot more and has to replay large portions of the levels only to die near a checkpoint, at which point she gets angry and quits. This didn't happen nearly as often in the first one. In fact SMG1 was her first 3D game and she still had an easier time with it. I really can't explain it beyond that. A contributing factor might be that the amount of stars you need to progress seems to be higher in this one, forcing her to go back and play the harder levels on previous galaxies.

Zing

Banned
Interesting. For me, SMG1 was super easy, other than a few of the "purple coin" stars, but still harder than SMG2. SMG2 was a breeze up until star #242.

Davey Cakes

Zing said:
Interesting. For me, SMG1 was super easy, other than a few of the "purple coin" stars, but still harder than SMG2. SMG2 was a breeze up until star #242.
That's a strange assessment. Both games were, for me (as skilled player), easy overall, but I find it hard to believe that SMG2 was actually easier. That's just ridiculous.

It's easier to say that you're just really good than to say those who could beat SMG but not SMG2 are mistaking the sequel's comparative difficulty.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm a seasoned platforming pro of both 2D and 3D games and in my mind there are no two ways about it; SMG 2 is harder than SMG 1.

Raw64life

As someone who got all 242 stars in SMG2 and then did the 120 stars Luigi run in SMG1 almost immediately afterward, I'd say difficulty wise for me it was SMG2 Grandmaster Galaxy > SMG1 Comet Stars > SMG2 Comet Stars > SMG2 Regular Stars > SMG1 Regular Stars.

Woffls

Did anyone else give up at 261 stars? I couldn't believe that they decided to just throw in an arbitrary star bit requirement to let me get the last star :( It's annoying as well because it wasn't that challenging up to this point and I was looking forward to trying for the last star. This is really unlike Nintendo so I'm a bit confused.

Getting 262 was less enjoyable in Galaxy 1, but I much preferred the level design in 1. I miss my Gusty Garden and Toy Time :(

I think it was 262 for both anyway.

AniHawk

Woffls said:
Did anyone else give up at 261 stars? I couldn't believe that they decided to just throw in an arbitrary star bit requirement to let me get the last star :( It's annoying as well because it wasn't that challenging up to this point and I was looking forward to trying for the last star. This is really unlike Nintendo so I'm a bit confused.

Getting 262 was less enjoyable in Galaxy 1, but I much preferred the level design in 1. I miss my Gusty Garden and Toy Time :(

I think it was 262 for both anyway.

The Hermit

I stopped at 241... and with Metroid around the corner don't see me getting the last one. I know what I have to do, I just not sure if I want to...
I too think that galaxy 1 is a better game overall.

rhino4evr

I enjoyed both games. I'd say they are just about equal..although I did appreciate Galaxy 2's number of stars/challenges. It's was the long most epic Mario game yet.took me almost 30 hours to get every star. That's Crazy for a Mario game.

Zing

Banned
Rash said:
That's a strange assessment. Both games were, for me (as skilled player), easy overall, but I find it hard to believe that SMG2 was actually easier. That's just ridiculous.

It's easier to say that you're just really good than to say those who could beat SMG but not SMG2 are mistaking the sequel's comparative difficulty.

I had "trouble" with two stars in SMG1 (luigi purple coins and the purple coin star where you are on the automatically moving platform while cannons shoot at you) and only one in SMG2 (the final one).

2 > 1. :D

Overall, getting the SMG1 purple coin stars were harder in general than the SMG2 green stars, most of which were simply a time sink.

Garcian

I know I'm way behind everyone else, but I'm in love with the green star challenges - I adore the ones that are in plain sight, but you have to work out how to get to them & use all the moves in the arsenal. Such an amazing game.

Up to 150 stars now (& counting)

The worst part about this game is after you beat it there's no more delicious new levels to play or explore :(

I just beat the final star this morning on the final level today. I guess now I can do crazy stuff like trying to max out my Star Bits or trying to set my own records on levels.

WOW "the perfect run" was blitzingly hard.

WillyFive

balladofwindfishes said:
The worst part about this game is after you beat it there's no more delicious new levels to play or explore :(

Well, yeah, that's what happens when games end.

But at least you were given more stuff to do when the game ended the first time.

apana

Just got this game last week and I am at 111 stars. I dont know why but Galaxy 2 doesnt really impress me as much as the first one. It's a brilliant game no doubt but Galaxy 1 had more moments where I was just in awe of that game. I may be the only person who feels that way though, everyone seems to think that Galaxy 2 really surpasses the first. I cant quite put my finger on what changed in this one.

Jokeropia

Cyan said:
Earlier this evening I actually got to the boomerang fuckers and knocked out two of them, then got nailed by a returning boomerang before I could move. Then I was like "fuck it, I'm finishing this fucker."
This won't really help you now, but Mario cannot be hit by boomerangs while crouching. He can however walk around and spin (albeit slowly) so if you just keep your head down you can knock all four boomerang bros out without any risk of getting hit yourself. (Just make sure the last hammer bro isn't still around since he can reach you on the final platform.)

Anyway, congrats on completing it!

Yes Boss!

Yeah, I'm finally at star 242...this one is going to take me some time. I good enough to get to the electrical level, but then I fail. Good on Nintendo, though, this is a nice capper to the game.

m.i.s.

Banned
I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally - the 242nd star. :D

Clocked up 83 hours in total (which for a uk £30 game equates to 36 pence per hour of fantastic gaming entertainment).

That being said and as others have noted, a slightly disappointing epilogue to a herculean task.

Aru

M.I.S. said:
I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally - the 242nd star. :D

Clocked up 83 hours in total (which for a uk game equates to 36 pence per hour of fantastic gaming entertainment).

That being said and as others have noted, a slightly disappointing epilogue to a herculean task.

83 hours ??? I just got the last star yesterday, after 46 hours...
And getting that star was pretty crazy. I said to myself: I'll get that star and then I got it (after more than 50 tries).

It's the first Mario game I've ever finished, and at 100% too !

Started playing this again after getting sidetracked by NSMBW. That Tree Trunk slide level is so good; you know a game is fun when you can keep playing despite losing on the same level over and over
damn wigglers
:lol

Makes me sad that it's the closest we'll ever get to F-Zero Wii though :[

Little Green Yoda said:
Started playing this again after getting sidetracked by NSMBW. That Tree Trunk slide level is so good; you know a game is fun when you can keep playing despite losing on the same level over and over
damn wigglers
:lol

Makes me sad that it's the closest we'll ever get to F-Zero Wii though :[
Uhh, I'm not sure how those levels even remotely reminded you of F-Zero. This is the closest we'll get to F-Zero Wii, BTW: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408636

Rented this one for a week, it really was better than the first one! I got 121 stars and then said nahhhhh. What's funny is that when I returned it the dudes at blockbuster were all like "YOU ACTUALLY GOT ALL 120 STARS????"

In there I was a hardcore Mario gamer, but in here I'm nothing but a chump :lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FINALLY got Galaxy 2 this week... damn Goozex being slow as hell. Only had time to grab 5 stars tonight.

- Pleasantly surprised with the game's difficulty. It isn't hard yet (obviously), but based on this first world I can already tell that I'm in for some serious platforming later on. I've already died a couple times! World 1 feels like world ~3 in other Mario games, in terms of challenge.

- Haven't played my Wii in literally 6+ months and goddamn... I wish the Wii were an HD system. After playing Uncharted and Halo... Wii games just look awful.

- Amazing music.

I don't really have the patience to 100% games anymore so I'll almost assuredly never see the green stars (I only got 100 or so stars in SMG1), but I'm going to enjoy the ride immensely regardless.

AniHawk

Regulus Tera said:
Why the fuck is the ending cutscene not skippable?
they didn't have enough money to make the cutscene skippable. Sin & Punishment 2 sales were meant to fund that feature as a patch and, well...

Feep

Banned
GDJustin said:
FINALLY got Galaxy 2 this week... damn Goozex being slow as hell. Only had time to grab 5 stars tonight.

- Pleasantly surprised with the game's difficulty. It isn't hard yet (obviously), but based on this first world I can already tell that I'm in for some serious platforming later on. I've already died a couple times! World 1 feels like world ~3 in other Mario games, in terms of challenge.

- Haven't played my Wii in literally 6+ months and goddamn... I wish the Wii were an HD system. After playing Uncharted and Halo... Wii games just look awful.

- Amazing music.

I don't really have the patience to 100% games anymore so I'll almost assuredly never see the green stars (I only got 100 or so stars in SMG1), but I'm going to enjoy the ride immensely regardless.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
GDJustin - Haven't played my Wii in literally 6+ months and goddamn... I wish the Wii were an HD system. After playing Uncharted and Halo... Wii games just look awful. [/QUOTE said:
I'm gonna assume you mean Wii /upscaling/ on your very fine HD tv looks awful.

'cause Galaxy 2, in terms of art, modeling, animation, effects, draw distance, scale, texture work, and even geometry, is one of the finest productions this generation.

Upscaled in Dolphin to take care of that pesky 480p problem, it looks like a dang 360 game. (A 360 game of that style, the colorful cartoon world.)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
AniHawk said:
they didn't have enough money to make the cutscene skippable. Sin & Punishment 2 sales were meant to fund that feature as a patch and, well...

It's your fault for not buying enough S&P2.

Don't look at me I bought it thrice.

Top Bottom