• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Boba2007

Trying to update, I keep getting "cannot connect to internet" errors D:

Edit: Had to restart the system to get it to work.

I think people asking for more features are missing the point of Mario Maker. As a game maker you are always limited by your tools in some way. That's where the creativity comes into play. Milking the most out of your tools... it's rewarding. Minecraft taught me that. They added more, and to me it felt like less. I liked figuring out innovative ways to accomplish design challenges.

Why not enjoy what you have? Nintendo is giving us a peak into the Chocolate Factory. Let's not be the spoiled kids sent off by the oompa loompas, but appreciate the intricate simplicity of Nintendo magic being offered.

My theory on the whole 9 day fiasco is that it's supposed to mirror their development process on a microscopic scale. It's a shame they went back on their intial design philosophy, even though I appreciate that they did--as I for one understand the process and don't need my hand held. As I'm sure they realized others did not need such limitations either.

I'm sure DLC will come and add in some missing features, but for now... Why not just enjoy the tools you have? Seem plenty robust to me. If you are worried about limited replay value... perhaps you just haven't brainstormed enough.

Not saying any of you are wrong, and I absolutely understand your gripes and disappointment, but I for one am getting my childhood dream fulfilled. As far as I'm concerned, my heart is soaring on a Lakitu cloud.

I like you :) maturity in the thread is nice :)

AdanVC

Can you believe this is the first retail Wii U game we're getting in the Americas since May when Splatoon launched? Dat drought...

But doesn't matter anymore SMM is out nowwwwwwwwwww!!!

I have to wait till tomorrow to play it :( Have fun everyone downloading it now!

totowhoa

Banned
Can you believe this is the first retail Wii U game we're getting in the Americas since May when Splatoon launched? Dat drought...

I have to wait till tomorrow to play it :( Have fun everyone downloading it now!

So stoked for SMM, but Wii U definitely has to complement one or two other platforms in the house at least for that reason

Watching more of the Seth Bling twitch, he's currently making a SMW Ghost House and a few moments ago took the time to state that he hates the gimped jumping and turning physics (thanks to NSMBU) and wishes it were closer to SMW's physics.

ChrisD

First level idea popped into my head earlier while playing Project Mirai. Can you select the music that's played in a stage? I want to make a World 2-3 style stage that goes to the beat of the music. A rhythm game in a Mario game!

Seth Bling continuing to hate on the game's unified physics in his SMW stage creation, "It's really throwing me off, I have little air control."

AdanVC

So stoked for SMM, but Wii U definitely has to complement one or two other platforms in the house at least for that reason

Yeah what the hell. Can't believe we're still a month away of Yoshi's Wolly World. A game where the rest of the world can enjoy already. Oh well at least from now till December we're gonna get 2 or 3 big Wii U games per month.

lol Mashiko is Mary O in US

Holy shit that is brilliant haahah.

Stoze

Whoa, did not realize this. Guess I'm up to date with Nintendo retail games then. I'm probably gonna end up getting Woolly World too, or at least renting it.

oatmeal

Banned
Omg this game is unreal.

The presentation is incredible. So much slicker than I thought it would be.

Now the jump physics are all the same but the feel is different I feel. 1 feels different than NSMBU

i-Jest

Some days ago a friend of mine, MdM, came up with this "picture" that he planned to use on some tshirts. I found it very funny and I asked him the permission to contact daydream, that I knew was working on the Super Mario Maker OT.

Daydream (who made a fab job with the OP!) told me that it wasn't in line with the style he was working on, but to be sure to let other Gaffers see it. And so... here we are: Anyone Can Make It by MdM (I won't put here any direct link to the stores that are hosting this design, but feel free to send me a PM if you want to know more 'bout it) :)

GZNmhWD.jpg

Would make an awesome t-shirt.

Just as a friendly reminder, these are the items, enemies, & stage themes that are NOT included in Super Mario Maker:

eDoFVeM.jpg

The sequel will be amazing.

fernoca

But Disney Infinity 3.0 was released 2 weeks ago. :p

Anyway...going home now, can't wait to finally jump on this!

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
A shame you cannot "tag" stages. If we could tag, then we would could just tag "NeoGAF" or something on the stages we create and make it easily searchable by GAFers.

CDA5-0000-0012-956A

Can you wall jump?

I put the timer at 30 seconds. I was able to beat it in about 20 seconds. If the timer feels too low, I could always change it...maybe ;) I wanted to see if you could deal with the wall jumping as well as the added pressure of the timer.

Many ideas in my head but I should really sleep. Enjoy, guys!

Durden77

So psyched to play this, but I also have so much Metal Gear left too! Why did the only two games I care about at this end of the year run release so close...

Decider

The majority of the community levels I've played so far have been a total mess of gimmicks and really poor design (dead ends, leaps of faith, etc.). Turns out that being given access to Miyamoto's toolbox does not a level designer make!

Can't wait until people start figuring out how to use these tools to create something fun, as opposed to throwing six Bowsers at you amid dozens of springboards and music blocks going nuts.

Bulbasaur

Banned
So the retro amiibo it comes with is massive. Not feeling the design now I get to actually see it first hand. I think I'll go with the regular edition.

Also in other news, Nintendo Saturday release dates here continue to be a pain in the arse. Stores not breaking street dates continues to be aswell.

He'll be ok and adjust, we all will :p

I agree, I don't want to sound like I'm hating on NSMBU and I understand their reasoning but it'd be nice to have adjustable physics at some point. It's not like different physics would be the only reason a person couldn't clear certain stages (no ground pound or walk jumps in non-NSMB stages). Plus styles can always be switched if needed.

I'm disconnecting my internet when I bring the game home tomorrow and am going to try to stick with the system clock trick.

I became impatient when I got the notice for tomorrow's delivery, so I did the system clock trick and it worked fine. I'm connected to the internet, too. I've done it twice, so far.

From what I head the daily unlock mechanism is still in, BUT, if you keep playing on the editor and adding tons of items, you'll get a message that says "Your items arrived earlier than expected"

BashNasty

Turns out I am way worse at making levels than I imagined, and I have no good ideas!

Common sentiment, it's very easy to think about doing something, it's much harder to actually do it.

So, the first set of new stuff unlocked fairly quickly after I got the "will be delivered Saturday" message. The next set of stuff is taking annoyingly long. I can't (or won't) start editing in earnest until I get the Super Mario World tileset and mushrooms to go along with it, so this fucking editor needs to hurry the hell up.

Top Bottom