• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Finished another course. This one is very much unlike my other courses. It's pretty tough. Most people here should be able to handle it as long as you stay on the main, lower path. I try to introduce each new concept in a relatively safe environment, since some ideas here are a little unconventional. So I do feel it's well enough designed even though it's tough.

I did, however, add an upper section that acts as a shortcut, but this section is very difficult. Like, Kaizo-style difficult. I even added a comment at the very beginning of the level discouraging people from going on the upper path unless they're experts. It's definitely possible to get through it. I managed to get through it once. But you should only tackle the top path if you want a real challenge. It was fun experimenting with that level of challenge, and honestly I'd like to make at least one stage where such difficulty was in the main path, but at the same time it's almost more enjoyable making stages that are fun and easy.

Expect a little of both from me in the future.

So anyway, here it is. Mushroom Top Track Hop. 4833-0000-005B-4A12

Any and all feedback is welcome, especially constructive criticism, but remember, it is supposed to be difficult.

The main section is tight but still not too difficult, fair enough for normal play through. Most player would getting mad at those wiggler bounces, especially on the moving platform lol.
And the upper section, maybe you should make it as sub level so you can do more with both path, warning comment is unnecessary since it already hard enough to get to the upper section, especially with a shell.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
This game......OH MY GOD THIS GAME, is incredibly fun.....

....to watch on TwitchTV!

I'll never actually play cuz i suck donkey balls at all Mario games but man I am loving the shit out watching guys play it on Twitch. Best show on TV for me at the moment :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This game......OH MY GOD THIS GAME, is incredibly fun.....

isamu
OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
(Today, 09:36 AM)

Ranger X

Ok I think I'm done with my series "Easier With The Mushroom".

There's 4 levels, the concept is to keep and to not lose the mushroom. If you lose it you will still be able to complete the course but its hard.

STAGE 1 - (CDBD-0000-0054-89A7)

- Finish it with the mushroom.
- Get to the sub-level.
- Finish the level without the mushroom.

WVW69iZ5qJgjM-Oioa

STAGE 2 - (AD5E-0000-0054-9394)

- Finish it using the red shell.
- Have you found the sub-level?

WVW69iZ5ww8qIYBt1p

STAGE 3 - (5C69-0000-004E-96F4)

- Finish it without the mushroom. (hard)
- Can you get 40 coins?

WVW69iZqU5oEwEhvTj

STAGE 4 - (7DD0-0000-005B-BB8A)

- Finish without the mushroom.
- Kill Bowser with a star.
- Find the "Fish Cannon Room"

WVW69iaNJGIquRzC2h

Any feedback is appreciated.
I also do "stars for stars". Star my levels I stars yours.

Starting to run into some meta levels now

One was titled "The State of Mario Maker" and it was a shitty level with a big coin message "MAKE BETTER LEVELS" and then a section of having a star and killing like 50 million enemies on route to the flag.

Then I played a "Dark Pit's 'Excellent' Adventure".
You start off as Dark Pit, and you go into a pipe.
Underground, there's a long track, with a coin message that said, "DARK PIT WAS A TERRIBLE ADDITION TO SMASH BROS. SAKURAI!!"

Then you go down a pipe, which spawns you right above the flag. On your way down, Dark Pit is shredded by saw blades, but Mario finishes the level.

correojon

GAF, please play and criticize my levels:

Super Mario World 1-0.5 said:
he7YQ8X.png

This is my entry for the GAF Community Contest #1. A level with 2 different paths, one focusing on the feather (and platforming) and the other on the flower (and action). A lot of different cool concepts are introduced like ice platforms, circular platforms, crushing floors and walls...Everything is introduced one step at a time and has it´s time to shine. The level must be played 2 times to experience it completely.
As a curiosity, I ran out of blocks, pipes, doors and coins in the second area and had to completely redesign the ending of the level :p

Circular Platforms 3 said:
2kt9mHc.png

This one hasn´t been out for long and has the best star/play times ratio for the moment. Pllayers seem to be enjoying it a lot and I´ve received very positive feedback. It expands even further on what could be seen in Circular Platforms 2, has alternate paths with different difficulties which will naturally drive the player to where he belongs and expert players will be able to get to a secret treasure room.

Circular Platforms 2 said:
FEjni6z.png

My most popular level, it expands on the Circular Platforms concept remixing it to create new challenges. It´s a challenging and fun level, though there are many powerups so no one will be left behind.

Matroid v2 said:
JgZBNfo.png

Find all the powerups to overcome the different challenges and help Mario find the exit. The level´s not hard abbility-wise, meaning that you won´t die easily, but finding the exit and solving the different puzzles will require that you use your grey matter.
I´ve received some very positive feedback on this one, but not many people are playing it or completing it.

Feather 1-1 said:
DlOYsPo.png

This was originally my entry for the GAF Community Contest #1, but in the end got replaced by Super Mario World 1-0.5. It is an extensive feather tutorial level with lots of secrets.

Taramoor

I present two levels.

First, the worst level a person could make in Mario Maker:
"Legitimately Impossible"
29AC-0000-005B-90BC

Second, Icarus 2-4:
EF3D-0000-005B-B59E

galvatron

Quoting one last time before I give up and start something new. Not a traditional Mario game but a tribute to single screen platformers

Feels like you fit the first loop of an old arcade game into that level :). Really too long given no checkpoints and very low ceilings which lead to bumping into enemies and dying due to having no powerups.

I anticipate lots of people quitting this one before they get the hang of it. If it weren't a GAF level, I might have given up. I've never played Manic Miner, so maybe I there are tricks that I don't know? I did manage to finish it, though.

Most of my deaths were from bumping my head on the ceiling after hitting the first p-switch and landing on the piranha plant. I mean, A LOT of deaths there...

For fans of traditional ghost house levels I made this:

The Ghostly Gauntlet

E180-0000-003B-5D33

WVW69iZcA-goHhhK5a

WVW69iZcByg8xS9tfX

WVW69iZcCmEfQDeHOf

WVW69iZcCVsox9twxC

WVW69iZcC2gReAaWXM

Multiple paths, secrets, ghosts, and wizards, who could ask for more? There's 3 main paths through the level, all varying in difficulty, much like the different paths you would take in a SMW ghost house. I hope everyone enjoys it, I'm going to start going through levels on GAF since the leaderboards aren't changing much right now.

Replugging my level because I love feedback and praise if you guys so deem it, thinking about making a long version.

Kyzon

I watched the replay of the stream Kyzon.
So I made a walkthrough for the optional path based on it.

Yes, you can reach the koopa! A spin to get in between.Gonna like the ? block on top...

Walljump here to not loose the koopas chain.

You don't like stopping on ground so obviously you fall here.

The last tricky moment, a spin where the coins are should make you land on the falling koopa.

After that, then end is near.

Holy shit! I'm gonna try this next time I play. Thanks.

Also, for everyone. I'll have a crazy stage coming very soon :)

Feels like you fit the first loop of an old arcade game into that level :). Really too long given no checkpoints and very low ceilings which lead to bumping into enemies and dying due to having no powerups.

I anticipate lots of people quitting this one before they get the hang of it. If it weren't a GAF level, I might have given up. I've never played Manic Miner, so maybe I there are tricks that I don't know? I did manage to finish it, though.

Most of my deaths were from bumping my head on the ceiling after hitting the first p-switch and landing on the piranha plant. I mean, A LOT of deaths there...

Thanks for the feedback. It's kind of designed to show young uns what we Brit kids had to deal with in the 80s :) That specific point you mention was originally a lot easier. For reference, here is a screenshot of the first level of the original game for comparison. In the original game you had to collect all the treasure and then head to the exit before the timer ran out. This mechanic doesn't fit well with Mario so I tried my best to adapt it.

Manic_Miner_Screenshot.png

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Holy shit! I'm gonna try this next time I play. Thanks.

Also, for everyone. I'll have a crazy stage coming very soon :)
Hey when are you going to stream again? I love watching NeoGAF players playing GAF stages. I also got another stage I would love you to try too :)

KingBroly

Banned
My Sixth level has been uploaded.

Koopa Fleet

ID: 6A4F-0000-005B-F54B

This one is a lot easier than my last upload. It's somewhat of a trial-by-trial escalation level. I struggled a lot with the initial concept, and it ends quicker than I originally wanted it to, but I feel like I got the pacing of it right in the end.

Previous uploads:
Easy Does it
ID: 395F-0000-0012-8C2B

Where’s Yoshi?
ID: 2B78-0000-001B-369B

Big Baby
ID: 997D-0000-001F-0267

Dead Sea
ID: 2FA8-0000-0034-F726

I Wanna Be The Mario
ID: 4D94-0000-0040-E45B

Sölf

Finished 2 more levels for world 2:

WVW69iaGJx8ZUFwn_s

2-2 Flying Platforms
83C4-0000-0059-59F4

WVW69iaOoKIfdXbuEV

2-3 Mysterious House
4E0E-0000-005C-18E1

Level are still fairly basic. 2-2 introduces the player to autoscrolling and moving paltforms, 2-3 is the first ghost house. It's fairly easy, but a nice introduction I think. Feedback again appreciated. Also, the contest ends today, eh? Have to play 60+ levels then. xD

Forkball

You sold me with your post! Fun idea for a stage, but I think you're too generous with the power ups. It's also way too easy to skip ahead on much of the underground section. A lift on rails might have worked better than the skulls. Still, I had a good time. Loved the last third of the stage.
Thanks for the tips. Yeah there are some easy bypasses in the skull coaster section. Some were there on purpose, like when it climbs up I wanted to give people options to jump ahead or use the blocks, but in the first section I didn't realize until it was too late that you could skip like two or three of skull coasters if you jump down at the right time. That section was actually much harder (more cannons and different placements) but I toned it down. I don't try to make my levels too hard, but the clear percentage on my stages are so low. I made a Waluigi themed level, which is supposed to be a fairly easy and quirky level, but it's only been cleared 8% of the time. Another one of my stages is super easy if you just run through and hit the power ups at the right time, but it only has like a 20% clear rate.

RagnarokX

Fancy yourself good at walljumping? What about when the walls are the only thing in the level moving along through a track in the sky with deadly obstacles coming your way?

Just For Kicks (A09A-0000-005C-23BE)

OEWQSfYl.jpg

lEGtMphl.jpg

moozoom

Hello y'all !

Finally made a level I'm happy with... not very difficult (I think) but I tried to make it fun to visit and hid some little things here and there if you search around.

5 Nights at Luigi's - (A446-0000-0059-17F2)

WVW69iaFkd8V5rrCEV

The only caveat is that it's a bit long, so I hope they will quickly add a checkpoint feature, It would change completely the completion rate of long levels if you could restart halfway through.

Took a break to play Danganronpa but I am back. New top automatic levels were really neat.

Got an idea, but will not be done until tonight since it is a Ghost House (aka puzzle).

Man, the Game Grumps segments are amazing.
At least now Danny has a legit reason to say "Godammit Ross"

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I wish you could see where the red x's are on your sub world.

Also I really need to stop tweaking my levels when I think it's too easy. If I think it's too easy then it's probably the right difficulty.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ok so I reuploaded the level I made yesterday. It's still very hard, but I removed a couple stars from the final segment so it asks just a bit less of the player for this part. I think it makes a difference, but it's still very much going to be a test of your nerve. Completion rate will remain insanely low, but it's still a small change worth making I feel. Give feedback! Also let me know if anything other than the final segment troubles you and why.

Stop Giving Me Stars! - 45E4-0000-005C-64BB

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I beat Companion Spring. Air stalling really helps. So many blind jumps in it. Too bad they don't know about that move.
I think that's a big problem people have when playing my NSMB levels particularly Flying Spring 2. When I practice a segment I'm making I use air stalling and do it without thinking. But maybe I need to keep in mind that a decent number of people either don't know or don't think to use it, and should make sure each part of my stage is possible without using air stall.

Dimmle

Does the stat keeping and notification system seem a little off to anyone else? I get notifications about stars that never were ("someone starred your course!").

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Does the stat keeping and notification system seem a little off to anyone else? I get notifications about stars that never were ("someone starred your course!").

The level info page seems to take a little while to refresh with new info. I had a level that I knew people had beaten, even one image of it on Miiverse, but the level info made no mention of any of these people.

That is pretty funny.

I think that's a big problem people have when playing my NSMB levels particularly Flying Spring 2. When I practice a segment I'm making I use air stalling and do it without thinking. But maybe I need to keep in mind that a decent number of people either don't know or don't think to use it, and should make sure each part of my stage is possible without using air stall.
Yeah, Super Meat Boy was way easier when I remember I could spin jump to get a little more jump. It is a move that exists in NSMB, but never really used for anything ... so I guess most people forgot it exists.

Ok so I reuploaded the level I made yesterday. It's still very hard, but I removed a couple stars from the final segment so it asks just a bit less of the player for this part. I think it makes a difference, but it's still very much going to be a test of your nerve. Completion rate will remain insanely low, but it's still a small change worth making I feel. Give feedback! Also let me know if anything other than the final segment troubles you and why.

Stop Giving Me Stars! - 45E4-0000-005C-64BB

I played the first version so will play this tomorrow night when I get back from a business trip.

Nia

This 2nd stage I'm working on has had a lot more complications than my other one. It's really pushing me to think. Hopefully by today I'll have everything ironed out.

I've found that even creators don't seem to fully understand gameplay mechanics.

I can't even count the number of times a "super hard epic lakitu spam" level is completely broken by just killing one of the Lakitu and using its cloud to fly over the entire level.

Or people who think long streams of Thwomps with complex jumps and obstacles can't easily just be beaten by making one fall and then spin jumping onto it and moving along the top of the Twomps. People need to make sure if they don't want that happening, that they add one row of blocks over the Thwomps.

Funny enough, on that last one, I did that, and there was a long row of solid blocks until right above the flag, where there was a brick. I ground pounded it to get down, and it was a coin with a giggle sound effect. I underestimated you, all lower case NSMB castle kid from France. I then just skipped the stage because I'm not doing any of that nonsense.

Speaking of which, Expert mode is insane with the highs and lows. Some of the best stages with some of the best platforming I've seen, and yet at the same time, some of the absolute most annoying and frustrating garbage stages. It took me an hour and a half to run through, there's so many highs and lows of Expert mode, it's like the extremes of both ends of the spectrum. And I got a Nikki costume, so if anyone wanted to know how to get one, she seems to be an expert drop.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I played the first version so will play this tomorrow night when I get back from a business trip.
As I said, don't expect a huge change. The only part that's easier is the part where the second wiggler is moving up on the track. If you still say that part is too hard try to say what star you're hitting and I might think about changing again. I still want this part to be hard and tense so I want to minimise how much I have to change. Hopefully the small change I made is enough.

Durock

This really took some time to complete, but it's finished now!

Bowser's Mysterious Puzzle House

ID: F603-0000-005C-8AE7

Hope you all like it!

RagnarokX

Just post a comment in your level. It's a catch 22 because if you design your level to not use the air stall you could potentially make things harder for people that do use it.

qbQ3kT5l.jpg

I made a much easier version of this where I removed the rightmost muncher and people still die there. I made all of the jumps easier and put an infinite supply of fire flowers in the room. No dice.

RaJ5Tqtl.jpg

D7sD0nGl.jpg

I could probably put an infinite supply of starmen in there and people would still find a way to die.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Personally I disable comments when I'm in stages so I wouldn't even be able to see it. Doubt I'm the only one. The very first Mario Maker level I played was flooded with them everywhere and it was super annoying so I disabled that feature immediately. But I see your point and putting them in there cant hurt. Kinda wish you could have SMW like text blocks to put in your levels instead though.

Check out Mad Mario - Fury Road - DA07-0000-003F-4DC1
WVW69iZBxzUsJgYI_j

I wanted to call it "Mad Mario - Fury Toad" but the puns would destroy the Mario Maker servers. You have to drive through chaos and he'll to get to the "green place". Hopefully you don't have to go all the way back again...

RagnarokX

After modifying the level, did your completion percentage go up though?

Not really. The original has been played by 132 people and 25 have cleared it. The easier version has been played by 34 people and has been cleared by 6, and most of those are people that already beat the normal version.

This was another interesting one. I watched a streamer get to the boss battle and they didn't understand that they would fall straight through the downward facing one way walls despite them being used extensively throughout the level. They'd repeatedly jump to their deaths expecting something to break their fall because they were able to climb up the ones facing the opposite direction on the other side. So I decided to put this comment here:

JLwRauql.jpg

Personally I disable comments when I'm in stages so I wouldn't even be able to see it. Doubt I'm the only one. The very first Mario Maker level I played was flooded with them everywhere and it was super annoying so I disabled that feature immediately. But I see your point and putting them in there cant hurt. Kinda wish you could have SMW like text blocks to put in your levels instead though.

There are multiple options for comments. I disable them on the screen I am using and have them on the screen I'm not using. That way I can look at the other screen if I need to and my main screen is clear.

This really took some time to complete, but it's finished now!

Bowser's Mysterious Puzzle House

ID: F603-0000-005C-8AE7

Hope you all like it!
I will jot this down because I am a sucker for puzzle levels.
Since I will have some free time this week, I will play some levels Friday and give feedback. Have to take 2 hours to pick up Amiibo though.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Here we go again. 11th level I make

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKFJ5tixtw

Name: Liane mobili sottoterra
ID: B61D-0000-005C-9E31
Brief description: it starts on the green field , then it goes underground, where there are three sections with ? blocks on trails containing vines. The third one is the longest and the most peculiar, IMHO. Also, there are three separate ways to enter into the underground from the green field: each way leads you to a different section with moving vines (making it more replayable).

As always, feedbacks are appreciated, both positive and negative. Hopefully, this level will make you check out the others I made too.

daydream

Banned
alright, submission period for contest #1 is closed!

we got 68 entries to go through. i'll be putting up a post with the revised voting system as well as the first group of levels up for evaluation in a bit.

Top Bottom