• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

The first level on the star leader board is very hard..
Is it mandatory to give a star before commenting?
Luckily no.
My rule of thumb is give a star if you had fun during someone's level, don't give a star if you did not have fun. The medal system takes so many stars to unlock that I don't think you have to worry about it.

Due to the fact that the game starts with telling you what day it is, I have only now found out my Wii U was set to 2014 instead of 2015 .... I've had to for nearly a year now oops.

KeRaSh

This was another interesting one. I watched a streamer get to the boss battle and they didn't understand that they would fall straight through the downward facing one way walls despite them being used extensively throughout the level. They'd repeatedly jump to their deaths expecting something to break their fall because they were able to climb up the ones facing the opposite direction on the other side. So I decided to put this comment here:

JLwRauql.jpg

There are multiple options for comments. I disable them on the screen I am using and have them on the screen I'm not using. That way I can look at the other screen if I need to and my main screen is clear.

Personally I disable comments when I'm in stages so I wouldn't even be able to see it. Doubt I'm the only one. The very first Mario Maker level I played was flooded with them everywhere and it was super annoying so I disabled that feature immediately. But I see your point and putting them in there cant hurt. Kinda wish you could have SMW like text blocks to put in your levels instead though.

I also usually have the comments disabled. In this cas I actually had the comments on and still died in the Boo room because there was so much going on that I was unable to read the comments while focusing on not getting hit. Yes, most people are aware that you can not stand on the one way devices on the left side but I kept jumping down because I was afraid to get hit by something coming from the right side.

To be honest that part is way too cluttered in my opinion. I gave up at that point but starred it anyways because I appreciated the effort that went into making it.
That is also probably the only NSMU level that I starred and I generally just avoid them completely so take that as a compliment! :p

Please check out my levels even though they are not NSMU styled...
http://www.mariomakerhub.com/makers/KeRaSh

Herbs

Banned
Took a break to play Danganronpa but I am back. New top automatic levels were really neat.

Got an idea, but will not be done until tonight since it is a Ghost House (aka puzzle).

At least now Danny has a legit reason to say "Godammit Ross"

indeed. I love the various Godamnit Ross' spread throughout the messages as well.

Simbabbad

Last night I thought to myself: 'You always make long, complicated courses that no-one can finish. I should do another one in the vein of Beginner's Guide (BE18-0000-004D-59FC), keeping it short and simple.'

Then this happened.
Your levels rock, including their creator challenges. Airborne Artillery is a bit too long IMO (when you fail against Bowser, you don't feel like trying again) and Undersea Artillery feels a bit too slow and contrived IMO (and Dante's Inferno wasn't my thing, even if done very well), but I love all the rest. Subscribed.

Thanks so much for the feedback! There's actually a pipe in the boss room that dispenses P Switches. You can carry them to the donut blocks for extra time once the boss is dead.

I'll be checking out your level right now!

Ha! Ok, I will have to replay this. I never saw that so I thought I had to get rid of them all quick AND have Bowser jump and break those for me....I was like...no way. Thanks for playing my level as well!

I could probably put an infinite supply of starmen in there and people would still find a way to die.

You never know.

I just watched someone, playing a different level, jump up and hit a question mark block, grab the starman, and as he's falling back down, he misses the ground and plummets to his death. smh

Forkball

New Level

Magikoopa's Gambit
Dd1TEUr.jpg

98F3-0000-005C-B83D

Magikoopas use the power of RNG to take down Mario. Dodge Playstation buttons and risky traps in order to claim the flag pole (as long as it doesn't disappear).

Also Ross from Game Grumps has an insane amount of likes, but you can tell he spent a lot of time on many of his levels.

You never know.

I just watched someone, playing a different level, jump up and hit a question mark block, grab the starman, and as he's falling back down, he misses the ground and plummets to his death. smh

I think also that if someone is playing your level on 100 Mario challenge and either restarts or skips, it counts as a death. Certainly the 'Start Over' option causes a death.

Check out Mad Mario - Fury Road - DA07-0000-003F-4DC1
WVW69iZBxzUsJgYI_j

I wanted to call it "Mad Mario - Fury Toad" but the puns would destroy the Mario Maker servers. You have to drive through chaos and he'll to get to the "green place". Hopefully you don't have to go all the way back again...

Hey, I did a similar thing a while back!

Mine's not as much of a real level, just navigating through some setpieces from the movie.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Not really. The original has been played by 132 people and 25 have cleared it. The easier version has been played by 34 people and has been cleared by 6, and most of those are people that already beat the normal version.

This was another interesting one. I watched a streamer get to the boss battle and they didn't understand that they would fall straight through the downward facing one way walls despite them being used extensively throughout the level. They'd repeatedly jump to their deaths expecting something to break their fall because they were able to climb up the ones facing the opposite direction on the other side. So I decided to put this comment here:

JLwRauql.jpg

There are multiple options for comments. I disable them on the screen I am using and have them on the screen I'm not using. That way I can look at the other screen if I need to and my main screen is clear.
How did you get over 100 people to play your level? Is that one an outlier? My most played levels only have around 50 plays.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
My newest level:

HMS Victory Air 4AB1-0000-0057-4C88

Despite the clunky title, I'm proud of how it turned out. Its a SMB3 Airship level with no auto-scroll.

Forkball

How did you get over 100 people to play your level? Is that one an outlier? My most played levels only have around 50 plays.

I have a few over 100 plays. I'm not sure how it happens really. I guess more stars makes it more likely for it to appear in the 100 man Mario mode. My level with 2 stars has the least amount of plays.

daydream

Banned
0GhLSDz.png

I wanna thank everyone for submitting their levels in a timely and orderly manner! With 68 entries I think it's safe to say that the contest has been a rousing success already. Below, you'll find everything you need to know about the voting process.

If you find any errors or if I somehow missed your level (wait until group 4 is up!), please let me know. First of all, a reminder of what the levels had to accomplish:

SMM-GAF Contest #1

Theme: Level 1-1 for a new Mario game
Description: Creating the first level for an entirely new Mario platformer must be a tough task for the level designers at Nintendo. Certain traditions of 1-1 stages must be respected while also avoiding the dangers of being derivative. Now it's up to you to create a level that would serve as the very first stage of a new Mario game. Think about what direction the game goes in. Think about a new idea that might be featured more heavily and expanded on in certain ways as the game progresses. The first impression is what counts, right?
Styles: All Styles allowed

Voting Rules:

Once the deadline for submitting levels is reached, I will assemble all the entries and post the list in here. SMM-GAF will then go ahead and try the levels. You can assign points to up to three levels - your first pick gets three points, your second pick two points, your third pick one point.

The voting will be done in a group format. With 68 entries, I will post four randomly assembled groups of 17 and we'll vote on one group at a time. Three levels - the ones with the most points - from each group will advance into the final voting group.

You can give feedback in the thread and reveal your ranking if you wish. However, you must send me your ballot in a PM, this ensures anonymity for those who want it and, more importantly, gives me an easier time counting your votes.

The deadlines for voting will be the following:

Group 1 ~ Thursday, Sep 24 (12PM GMT+1)
Group 2 ~ Thursday, Oct 1 (12PM GMT+1)
Group 3 ~ Tuesday, Oct 6 (12PM GMT+1)
Group 4 ~ Sunday, Oct 11 (12PM GMT+1)

The final three winners will be included in the Community Showcase.

Group #1

NOTE: I have the first group of levels starred on my account. Punch in an ID of mine (AADE-0000-001B-12DD) and check out my 'starred levels' on my profile for quick access! This should accelerate the playing process significantly!

Happy Voting!

Alright GAF, you want a tough level? Well here you go, my latest level below currently has only a 1% completion rate, so let's see who here can conquer it. Bonus points if you can make it through with a power-up in tact.

cFwWpZ2.jpg

Name: Greenhouse Grindhouse

Code: (5E95-0000-0054-B92E)

Description: A non-linear mixture of tight platforming and bullet hell hazards. Perfect your own strategy and path to survive the Grindhouse.

RagnarokX

I also usually have the comments disabled. In this cas I actually had the comments on and still died in the Boo room because there was so much going on that I was unable to read the comments while focusing on not getting hit. Yes, most people are aware that you can not stand on the one way devices on the left side but I kept jumping down because I was afraid to get hit by something coming from the right side.

To be honest that part is way too cluttered in my opinion. I gave up at that point but starred it anyways because I appreciated the effort that went into making it.
That is also probably the only NSMU level that I starred and I generally just avoid them completely so take that as a compliment! :p

Please check out my levels even though they are not NSMU styled...
http://www.mariomakerhub.com/makers/KeRaSh

I was talking about another streamer who specifically complained that he didn't understand why he could stand on the right side one way walls and not the left side. I didn't add the comment until after.

There are only 2 things that can hit you in the loop. They are on tracks and move very slowly at a constant pace. You have half of the room between them. By the time the oncoming boos reach you the boos ahead of you will be over half way across the bottom and nearing the turn to go up. There's no reason to jump the gun.

SnarlingTestyAruanas.gif

My original idea was to just have a boo riding each clown car preventing you from stealing one until you got the star, but you can't place occupied clown cars on tracks. The only way I could prevent players from just stealing one and taking off was to have a big boo blocking them front and back.

The game really needs checkpoints, though. I'd put one right before the boss door. Maybe I should have put a door that takes you to the center of the carousel where nothing can get you so you can study the room from a safe place.

BTW, I originally intended to put the door off the ground so that you couldn't return through it, but I changed my mind. You can return through that door and it will reset the boss room and there is an extra fire flower in there.

I wish I could have had this playing in that room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gyUtxUzwgs

Anyway, I'm glad you liked the level enough to star it. You're really missing out on some great levels with that NSMB avoidance. I checked out some of your levels but I really need to get some sleep. That winged boo you put in that conveyor belt corridor was a pain in the ass. :)

DeathoftheEndless

Man, after a grueling Expert 100 Mario Challenge, I get the frickin Tingle costume lol. The random unlock system has not been kind to me.

Ramsiege

NEW LEVEL!!

Don't Stop Believing
CA28-0000-005C-DB69

WVW69iaRNDExhr4qRA

I think this is my best, most well rounded attempt at a traditional Mario level. I have a high road and a low road plus three hidden 1ups for those that like searching for those. Hope you all enjoy and please let me know any critiques you may have.

My newest level:

HMS Victory Air 4AB1-0000-0057-4C88

Despite the clunky title, I'm proud of how it turned out. Its a SMB3 Airship level with no auto-scroll.

Great level, as it feels like it could be a real Mario Airship level. I like it because, to me, airship levels should feel suspenseful, and you level does a good job at that. Using cannonballs/bullet bills to cross the gap is suspenseful in itself, but then it's a really nice twist halfway through when you can't see the ground below, only bullets, and it looks like you have to use them again to cross.

It looks daunting to fall straight down sight unseen and still get enough momentum to keep bouncing forward. But when you try it, you'll probably fall and land on solid ground with an array of enemies to dodge; again, nice twist! Nice use of the two bob-ombs too to halt blind forward progress.

My only minor quibble is that the two down arrows are misleading. The second one is OK, as I can suss out that I need to use the turtle to advance and the pipe doesn't work anyway. But the first down arrow caused me a really cheap death. as it made me think I should jump straight down sight unseen.

Still, great level. I starred it! Try out my latest one too, it's a few posts up, or you can enter (5E95-0000-0054-B92E)

Bladelaw

So my 8-2 remake as an abysmal 3.96% completion rate. The problem I always had was the big jump near the end. Based on the death graph it looks like people are getting stumbled by the bullet bills right before that part. I know part of it is the timing is different when bill shoots so there's a lot more synchronized blasts. It's gotten a bunch of plays and decent number of stars so people seem to enjoy it but man it's interesting seeing where other people get tripped up.

Also does SMB1 Mario jump further in this than the original? Since I finished the level I haven't had a problem clearing the jump. Did I just practice it enough to get over it?

Gsnap

The main section is tight but still not too difficult, fair enough for normal play through. Most player would getting mad at those wiggler bounces, especially on the moving platform lol.
And the upper section, maybe you should make it as sub level so you can do more with both path, warning comment is unnecessary since it already hard enough to get to the upper section, especially with a shell.

That's definitely worth considering. Honestly don't know why I didn't think of that. haha. Guess I just had it in my head that it was supposed to be a shortcut.

Anyway, I'll be playing some levels today. If anyone wants me to review theirs and give feedback, PM me the level whenever. I may not get back to them all today, but if they're in my PMs I'll definitely get to them soon.

DeathoftheEndless

Still, great level. I starred it! Try out my latest one too, it's a few posts up, or you can enter (5E95-0000-0054-B92E)

Thanks for the kind words :) I wasn't sure if players would understand what to do at the last part or if I should even leave it in.

I''m at work right now, but I'll be sure to check your level out tonight.

RagnarokX

So my 8-2 remake as an abysmal 3.96% completion rate. The problem I always had was the big jump near the end. Based on the death graph it looks like people are getting stumbled by the bullet bills right before that part. I know part of it is the timing is different when bill shoots so there's a lot more synchronized blasts. It's gotten a bunch of plays and decent number of stars so people seem to enjoy it but man it's interesting seeing where other people get tripped up.

Also does SMB1 Mario jump further in this than the original? Since I finished the level I haven't had a problem clearing the jump. Did I just practice it enough to get over it?
I wish you could see a map for the submap. All of the x's on the map I discussed earlier are in that one room, but I dunno where people are dying on the other map. I supposed I could just run around intentionally killing myself.

Yes, the game just uses NSMBU physics, so he jumps a lot further than in SMB1.

Piccoro

So I bought this game last Friday and have been playing all weekend, great game.
I barely even made a level yet, I'm having too much fun just playing all the levels posted in this thread!

As a big Mario fan since the first SMB, the game is almost perfect. Although it was kind of criminal not including elements from this game...

Smb2_comparison.png

Finally coming up to a creative wall, I spent last night trying to make a ghost ship stage using NSMB water and ghost house themes and in the end I finished it only to think "well that was a waste of a few hours", deleted.

I must remember to "yeah" this.
And also play your new stages, the colour coded cavern looked cleverly put together aesthetically and I do like wall jumps.

Bladelaw

I wish you could see a map for the submap. All of the x's on the map I discussed earlier are in that one room, but I dunno where people are dying on the other map. I supposed I could just run around intentionally killing myself.

Yes, the game just uses NSMBU physics, so he jumps a lot further than in SMB1.

Do the intentional suicide thing anywhere there's hotspots to see the problem. For me I'm almost certain the synchronicity of the Bills are what's cause a lot of the deaths since it's a departure from the original.

I need to extend the gap at the place. I went through 8-2 on SMB1 just to confirm I had the right number of blocks in the gap so I knew it was accurate in that respect at least.

Man, there is something surprisingly mind-blowing about creating a stage on the gamepad and then just playing it on a huge TV right afterwards. What a fantastic game thus far. I've only made one stage thus far, using only the starting features, but I'm trying to follow good design practices rather than just making absurd/hard stages. Plenty of those out there already judging from the 100 Mario challenge runs I've done.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I have 78 hours logged in this game and it's been out for barely over a week.

Jesus Christ, I have an addiction.

Yeah, it's weird. I wasn't interested in building levels when I got the game, and was banking on the Nintendo levels to be good. The Nintendo levels weren't really much of anything, and the user-created stuff is almost all trash. So all there's been is level creation. And I'm fucking hooked on it. I've put in about 30 hours in the last week, and I don't know when this addiction's gonna stop.

Gsnap

Yeah, this is basically the perfect game for me. Between making my own courses and giving feedback on other people's, I'm in level design heaven.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Man, there is something surprisingly mind-blowing about creating a stage on the gamepad and then just playing it on a huge TV right afterwards. What a fantastic game thus far. I've only made one stage thus far, using only the starting features, but I'm trying to follow good design practices rather than just making absurd/hard stages. Plenty of those out there already judging from the 100 Mario challenge runs I've done.

Hmm....I don't think I've even played this game on my TV after the first day.

Sephzilla

Yeah, it's weird. I wasn't interested in building levels when I got the game, and was banking on the Nintendo levels to be good. The Nintendo levels weren't really much of anything, and the user-created stuff is almost all trash. So all there's been is level creation. And I'm fucking hooked on it. I've put in about 30 hours in the last week, and I don't know when this addiction's gonna stop.

I bought Destiny The Taken King for the express purpose of giving me something else to play and break my Mario addiction for a few days.

Finally finished the third level in my PSI ROCKIN' series. I welcome any feedback or criticism on these levels, and please star them if you like them!

PSI ROCKIN' 1-3
(AFFD-0000-005C-C214)
WVW69iaRoDwgAE0AeN

Taking quite a bit longer to create than the previous levels, I placed less emphasis here on exploration when compared to 1-2, and instead tried to focus on building a lengthier, more expansive feeling level.

PSI ROCKIN' 1-2
(301D-0000-0045-6828)
WVW69iZRbhA4e0Wlnm

This here is level two in my PSI Rockin' series, in which I'm attempting to build moderately challenging levels for your average Mario player that feel engaging without resorting to deathtrap gimmicks and brutally unforgiving pixel-perfect jumps. For 1-2 I've tried to slightly ramp up the difficulty from the first level while also rewarding daring play and exploration.

PSI ROCKIN' 1-1
(9F59-0000-003B-99C7)
WVW69iZRSt07gnvH9a

Here is level 1-1 in my PSI Rockin' series. I tried to keep the level fairly breezy for the average mario player while still having some moderately tricky jumps to keep it engaging.

KingBroly

Banned
I think Nintendo really made the level editor tools very easy to understand and added in fun little quirks to make it enjoyable. Shaking things to make enemies stronger, adding Mushrooms to make them bigger, etc. I do wish there were Checkpoints, but I can't help but feel like most people wouldn't use them. I personally wish they'd lower the total amount of enemies levels could have, but maybe they liked dropping 3 Bowsers on people at the start of levels?

I've played roughly 640 levels so far, so the game's given me 8 Mario games worth of levels so far, which is pretty nuts if you think about it.

Pinky

Banned

Dude, I'm right there with you. This game is crack. Can't put it down! Not sure how much time I've logged, but I know it's substantial. SMM is easily my GOTY. It's already decided.

Top Bottom