• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Dude, I'm right there with you. This game is crack. Can't put it down! Not sure how much time I've logged, but I know it's substantial. SMM is easily my GOTY. It's already decided.

Same, I seriously think this would've been THE killer app to push Wii U systems had it come out at the start of its lifecycle. Dark Souls 1 was the last time a game affected me in this way, to the point where I think about it almost every moment when I'm not playing, and it's a glorious feeling.

Question about the empty 6th item toolbar... I know it's meant to customize but the only way to do that is by pressing Customize and then messing up the other toolbars by removing things from them and placing them on the 6th. Is there a way to reset all toolbars, then? Or is there a way to copy items to the 6th without removing them from their normal location? Thanks!

I personally wish they'd lower the total amount of enemies levels could have, but maybe they liked dropping 3 Bowsers on people at the start of levels?
I think it should be up to the designer to put a reasonable amount of enemies. Some people may abuse it, but it's fun when used properly.

I'm bad with timezones but can I still submit my level for the 1-1 GAF contest?
Submissions closed a couple of hours ago, sorry.
alright, submission period for contest #1 is closed!

we got 68 entries to go through. i'll be putting up a post with the revised voting system as well as the first group of levels up for evaluation in a bit.

KeRaSh

Anyway, I'm glad you liked the level enough to star it. You're really missing out on some great levels with that NSMB avoidance. I checked out some of your levels but I really need to get some sleep. That winged boo you put in that conveyor belt corridor was a pain in the ass. :)

Haha, it looks really easy in that gif but in the heat of the moment with so many moving objects it's hard to determine what could be a danger to you and what is safe. You definitely delivered a sense of thrill with the set up!

On the other hand the winger Boo on the conveyor belt is not really a threat either if you keep running and jump every now and then once the P-meter is full. I guess we played our own levels so often that it just seems unthinkable to not immediately move they way we intended to. That's what makes it so hard to get the difficulty just right!

I'm getting the Classic Mario Amiibo soon, is the tool unlocked as an alternate to the ? mushroom or something, or so I have to scan the Amiibo every single time I want to use the item (which would be really stupid)?

Sephzilla

Same, I seriously think this would've been THE killer app to push Wii U systems had it come out at the start of its lifecycle. Dark Souls 1 was the last time a game affected me in this way, to the point where I think about it almost every moment when I'm not playing, and it's a glorious feeling.

I completely agree. This is a game the Wii-U needed two years ago. It wouldn't have solved all of the system's problems, but this would have been the killer app that would have sold systems early on. I honestly feel both Mario Maker and Splatoon would have done wonders had they been released earlier on in the system's lifespan

Thud

My latest one:

Title: Dark Side of the Goomba
Description: A play of the famous piece 'Dark Side of the Goomba'. Enter the stage and foil Goomba Floyd's world domination plans. Discover a secret laboratory, where experiments are done on Goombas. This laboratory also functions as a tutorial for the kuribo shoe and stiletto, necessary for destroying Floyd. Come and see the play for yourself!
ID: ADBB-0000-005C-6922
Screenshot:
WVW69iaP6CI4Y42dWN

I'll go through some 1-1 levels tonight :)

I completely agree. This is a game the Wii-U needed two years ago. It wouldn't have solved all of the system's problems, but this would have been the killer app that would have sold systems early on. I honestly feel both Mario Maker and Splatoon would have done wonders had they been released earlier on in the system's lifespan

I think they held off on releasing it, so they could celebrate 30 years of Super Mario Bros. with this game. It makes a lot of sense seeing the support the SMB style has. Although not the physics.

RMI

Banned
First: Well designed, short level. I thought a missed jump made me stuck, but you designed an alternate path which adds difficulty. Rewards players for skillful jumps. Only thing I didn't like was
the koopa that comes out in the beginning block.

Second: Really liked the mechanic to get the first mushroom. Good idea. Definitely will be a more difficult level for beginner players. I like how you don't punish platform failure with death, just make it more difficult for the player. Really enjoyed this level. A good amount of challenge.

Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed them. For the first level I have some regret about that block, I actually don't even remember putting it in there so maybe it was an accident.

In the second level I wish I had added a more accessible mushroom early on and just had the 1up in the upper area (not sure if you got that) because I worry that the first challenge area is too busy/difficult especially if you don't get the mushroom.

I have made a 3rd level, this time a water level with some tricky swimming. This time the middle area is the most challenging but there are opportunities to head into it with a mushroom which make it reasonably doable.

No Gimmicks, Just Super Mario 3: 9EAF-0000-005A-F6F8

and my previous levels:

No Gimmicks, Just Super Mario: 5071-0000-004D-D47A
No Gimmicks, Just Super Mario 2: 6912-0000-0057-D670

Pinky

Banned

Yep! Even when I'm not playing, I'm constantly thinking about it. I'm always brainstorming for new ideas and concepts. I've even had a few dreams where I'm creating levels. I predicted this would consume my life and, so far, it's happening as we speak.

I think Nintendo really made the level editor tools very easy to understand and added in fun little quirks to make it enjoyable. Shaking things to make enemies stronger, adding Mushrooms to make them bigger, etc. I do wish there were Checkpoints, but I can't help but feel like most people wouldn't use them. I personally wish they'd lower the total amount of enemies levels could have, but maybe they liked dropping 3 Bowsers on people at the start of levels?

I've played roughly 640 levels so far, so the game's given me 8 Mario games worth of levels so far, which is pretty nuts if you think about it.

Play this level and tell me if there are too many enemies. Because it is at the total limit and I find it entirely reasonable how many enemies are in it. If they reduce the limit this wouldn't exist. Its a design thing, not a number thing.

Under The Starry Sky
4694-0000-004D-7DD7

jholmes

New Level

Magikoopa's Gambit
Dd1TEUr.jpg

98F3-0000-005C-B83D

Magikoopas use the power of RNG to take down Mario. Dodge Playstation buttons and risky traps in order to claim the flag pole (as long as it doesn't disappear).

A lot harder of a stage than you might think because of the RNG. Got to the end one time only for all three giant Magikoopas to all span giant boos. At least no one made the flagpole disappear on me! Recommended if you're tired of memorizing your way through a stage.

Happy Voting!

Well, this is gonna take a while...

Wish I figured that out. Thanks!
Also it is funny people hate NSMB in general. I always liked the games, but I wish they would have spaced them out. It went from one a year to none of them pretty quick.

Actually...

NSMB was 2006

NSMB Wii was 2009

NSMB 2 and NSMB U were 2012

So they spaced them out quite well, in general...

B_Bech

I'm back, this time with a new world pack. Some of you may have already played some of my Steamworld stages--maps I made taking Nintendo's design philosophy into consideration. I hope you'll find any stage in this world could fit right in with NSMBU! In all the stages except for the first, there are five secrets to find: 3 1-UPs, Yoshi and Dancing Wiggler. After you beat the level, please try to collect them all. I think you'll find it really ramps up the challenge! I decided to have this take place after NSMU, for those concerned with canon. (snicker)

Princess Peach looks to the sky, blackened by a churning mechanical monstrosity. With Bowser defeated, the Rocky Wrenches have self organized-- their brilliant minds no longer held back by the great Koopa's misguided orders. The Rockies call themselves the Steampunk Punk Army, and they plan to use their engineering skills to conquer Mushroom Kingdom and force the Toad population to power their machines. Peach sends a letter for Mario to return, unable to bear the sight of her subjects running like gerbils in a wheel.

STEAM-1

WVW69iYWCw4wxihE-0

Steampunk Castle Crusade

(E222-0000-0028-D662)

The Steam Citadel stands as the formidable gate to the Steampunk Army's flying fortress. Pieced together using remnants of Bowser's destroyed castle, Mario may find the encounter too hot to handle. If Mario ever hopes to save the people of the Mushroom Kingdom, he must pass this first challenge.

STEAM-2

WVW69iZAKNQprSHSYF

Steampunk City Shuffle

(01C1-0000-003E-836E)

Out of the fire and into the pan, Mario makes his way to the residential sector of the Rocky Wrenches' high-flying headquarters. Mario must be quick on his feet to avoid the flurry of bullets and wrenches coming from every corner. The Rockies are a witty bunch, and you better believe they've set their home up with all sorts of tricks and traps to snag intruders.

STEAM-3

WVW69iZjFYU19d6gNB

Steampunk Scuba Slam

(90AE-0000-004B-DFE1)

With the aerial vanguard conquered, Mario must stave off the Steampunk Army's naval assault team: a school of heavily armed submarines. Mario must take care not to let the riptide and sea life stuff him into Davy Jones' locker. The marine contraptions prepared by the Rockies might just be their toughest yet... And word has it their flagship sub, "The Sea Wrench", has been outfitted with the latest in Mario seeking torpedo technologies.

STEAM-FINAL

WVW69iaBCrIIm4Ektk

Steampunk Frantic Finale

(DC43-0000-0057-3563)

Great work, Mario! The rascally rodents are on the ropes. But you know what they say about a caged rat, don't you? The Steampunk Army will not admit defeat until they've exhausted every last weapon in their arsenal. The Rocky Wrenches have pulled out all the stops to bring Mario's raucous rampage to a halt. You'll need to use everything you've learned to conquer this stage and send the motley mole crew packing for good!

As usual, star if you like it and give whatever feedback when you can. It really helps me out. I'm looking to play awesome stages today for inspiration. Got any?

Hey guys, how's the stage making going? I'm just quoting this post from several pages ago to get some feedback on the last two stages in my Steampunk World pack. I'm concerned about the difficulty, as I may have rushed them out in my excitement. The win rate is way lower than I thought... They unfortunately don't show deaths on the subworld map, so I'm having a hard time know what needs fixing. Thanks in advance if anyone decides to help me with this.

KeRaSh

Got my votes in for the first batch of levels.

I noticed that for some reason my newer levels don't get nearly as much attention as my older ones. I just passed 100 stars and while they came in steadily before, the flow came to a screeching halt...

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I have a few over 100 plays. I'm not sure how it happens really. I guess more stars makes it more likely for it to appear in the 100 man Mario mode. My level with 2 stars has the least amount of plays.

Most of my levels have decent amount of stars though.At least I think the number of stars is decent. Got one with 22 stars, one with 14, a couple with 10. I think other than my latest the least stars I have for a single level is 7.

Sölf

I noticed that for some reason my newer levels don't get nearly as much attention as my older ones. I just passed 100 stars and while they came in steadily before, the flow came to a screeching halt...

Might depend on the level. Some of my older ones get nearly no attention and/or stars, some other older ones are my best (one hast over 20, and 2 have nearly 15 now).

I have also finished voting. I starred all of them of course. xD

AdanVC

I thought that after SMM, I would never go back to play the original SMB games but I've been doing the exact opposite lately just to look for reference for new levels. They are something else... you can clearly see they were made by experts in game design.

Also, I miss slopes so damn much :( I still can't believe we don't have them in SMM.

B_Bech

Same thing happened to me. I think the population tapered off after the initial hype of the release. That, or the influx of levels being made exponentially... Hell, maybe people realized 100 Mario challenge is garbage and is sticking to the most popular levels. If I didn't have GAF I doubt I would ever find any good ones. The top levels, to me, are really just one type of level that gains a lot of stars (automatic and music), people that were able to achieve success early on or are rather well known on YouTube.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I thought that after SMM, I would never go back to play the original SMB games but I've been doing the exact opposite lately just to look for reference for new levels. They are something else... you can clearly see they were made by experts in game design.

Also, I miss slopes so damn much :( I still can't believe we don't have them in SMM.

I want checkpoints before I want slopes.

Theorymon

I want checkpoints before I want slopes.

Aye, that would certainly up the completion rates of my levels. My Underwater level still has a 0% completion rate despite 50 people trying it. ;_;

Also for some reason nearly half of the players gave up on that remade SMB3 Ice level that was cut. Man that level isnt that hard lol. Maybe I'm overestimating the skill level of Super Mario Maker's playerbase.

Oh well, its a good thing making easier levels is fun too!

Reposting for the morning crowd. Hoping to get some more plays and possibly feedback. I'm trying to think of an idea for another level, maybe something inspired by surf levels in Counter Strike.
Decided to take a break from MGS5 to try and force a bit of thought into what my next level will be. I was wanting to do an underground Mines level for awhile but didn't have the tools until now, so that's what I made:

Long Neglected Mining Cavern : 49A8-0000-005A-4E4C

9iLMure.jpg

This level goes back to avoiding enemies and attacks, but is longer than my levels usually are thanks to now having sub-levels, so there are three powerup pickups instead of the usual one or two I usually put in to account for the length. I worked on this on and off all day to figure out the general layout and make sure the gameplay wasn't too cramped, so I hope people can enjoy it.

octopiggy

Am I the only one that thinks that adding checkpoints would just encourage people to make their levels harder and add more cheap bullshit. Not to mention the fact that starting some levels from a checkpoint would break them.

Honestly, I could think of dozens of things I'd like to have in the game before slopes or checkpoints.

Am I the only one that thinks that adding checkpoints would just encourage people to make their levels harder and add more cheap bullshit. Not to mention the fact that starting some levels from a checkpoint would break them.

Honestly, I could think of dozens of things I'd like to have in the game before slopes or checkpoints.

99% of the levels wil be shit with or without checkpoints. May as well let the good designers expand their range

Gsnap

Maybe, but I don't see any reason to worry about what other people would do with checkpoints because I know what I would do with them.

I'd be making the same levels I am now, but instead of forcing the player to start all over again when they die (discouraging them from ever finishing the level at all) I could give them proper checkpoints. It would make my levels better.

99% of the levels wil be shit with or without checkpoints. May as well let the good designers expand their range

exactly

acejaxx

Neo Member
Oh man, I totally forgot to go back and beat it.

I think there's quite a bit of trial and error, but it flows really well. My biggest criticism has nothing to do with difficulty, but the presentation is boring.

You're looking at the same thing over and over. Maybe add enemies/obstacles here and there, even if you don't use them to jump off of, at least it's something to look at.

If you want more people to clear maybe add a few more seconds. I know right now you have to be absolutely perfect to beat it. I think as long as it's fun people will go back to beat their best times anyway.
yea i purposely designed it so the perfect run would complete in under 20 seconds. i can see this as being frustrating for someone who just misses the mark, so i'll add more time. i just wanted that sense of urgency to run through the level.

i can also try to update it so some enemies are in there...whether it be for decorative purposes or as replacement jumping platforms. thanks for the suggestions!

Dad

The "start over" button could just start you over from the beginning of a level

Dimmle

WVW69iaI7voCJ3GyAE

Waluigi's BIG Adventure:
6A9E-0000-005A-8036

I'm a bit of a Waluigi fan (he's the everyman of the Mario universe) and have had this concept rolling around in my head for the last week. I have to mention Waluigi's Unbearable Existence for being a superb execution on a similar concept that arrived slightly earlier but I think the two
meditations on Waluigi's fragile psyche
arrive a distinct conclusions.

Have a blast and remember to jump on platforms and collect coins for points!

Quoting for a new page. Hoping to get some more eyes on this to let me know if the puzzle section feels natural or too cryptic. Don't mind the generic screen cap.

Theorymon

Ideally, checkpoints would be just another object to place. If it worked that way, then not every level would need them, such as the more puzzle based levels involving objects. As far as I'm concerned, that's a win win situation!

Hopefully Super Mario Maker gets some good patches. I know its getting free costume DLC in the form of that Famitsu Fox thing, so I don't think adding stuff like checkpoints is out of the question.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You know what Nintendo could have done? Make it so that when the creator beats his own level, he has to beat it without checkpoints. That way you're giving people the ability to put checkpoints in for the benefit of players, but due to the creator having to be able to beat it without checkpoints it would limit the desire for people to make levels with short bullshitty random segments one after another.

AdanVC

Ideally, checkpoints would be just another object to place. If it worked that way, then not every level would need them, such as the more puzzle based levels involving objects. As far as I'm concerned, that's a win win situation!

Hopefully Super Mario Maker gets some good patches. I know its getting free costume DLC in the form of that Famitsu Fox thing, so I don't think adding stuff like checkpoints is out of the question.

My dream now is to get Yoshi's Island theme/graphics/enemies, etc. as DLC. I guess that would not be possible since that game has lot's of new enemies that doesn't appear in previous SMB games that will ruin the balance of the items/enemies through the different Mario styles.

You know what Nintendo could have done? Make it so that when the creator beats his own level, he has to beat it without checkpoints. That way you're giving people the ability to put checkpoints in for the benefit of players, but due to the creator having to be able to beat it without checkpoints it would limit the desire for people to make levels with short bullshitty random segments one after another.
That wouldn't stop creators from hiding ways of being able to skip their own challenges (like through a hidden shortcut or hidden star) so that they don't actually have to test their level.

(mat)

So, if the game did get checkpoints in the form of items, what would they look like in each version?

Super Mario Bros.:
Super Mario Bros. 3:
Super Mario World:
New Super Mario Bros.:

octopiggy

I guess just don't feel like any of my levels would benefit from checkpoints. But that's probably because they're designed knowing that checkpoints aren't a possibility.
I don't mind that others want them. They're just nowhere near the top of my most wanted list that's all.

Great idea. I had a plan to do something similar, but now I fear I'd be ripping you off!

Thanks! You should go for it. I'm sure I'm not the only person to have used Bowser in this way.

Sölf

That's the easiest solution. A level must be beatable with and without checkpoints (in order to avoid death traps after a checkpoint has been used). And yeah, I also want checkpoints, slopes, more enemies and ideally even a second subsection.

Top Bottom