• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

RMI

Banned
My 4th attempt at making a level took forever to come up with an idea but finally did and think its a pretty decent one. Would love some feed back.
WVW69iboYX4ud8947d

The Nintendo Olympic Games
ID:2B33-0000-0077-8C90

Able to take different paths depending on if u pass the challenge

I enjoyed the swimming portion, but it looks like I got the short (bad?) path? I didn't think the running at the start was that compelling. Are there more than 2 events?

I completed a new course this weekend:

Timmy & Tommy: Ghost Hunters.

Course ID: 8531-0000-0071-B53E

It's a SMB ghost house level featuring Timmy & Tommy of animal crossing. There are a few hidden 1up to find, and a repeatable puzzle element in case you fail it the first time you don't have to start the level over again. It has a completion rate of just 8.33% now, but I think the average Mario Maker player is pretty bad as even my easy courses have less than 50% completion. This is even an easier revision of a previous course that I had which was quite a bit more deadly in spots.

Anyway, I really like the course, please test your skill against it.

CP64QLDVEAAguBV.jpg

PMS341

Finally finished my newest level, Dr. Mario & Mr. Hyde. If you've played the abhorrent NES Jekyll and Hyde game, you might know what to expect. :3 Always appreciate feedback!

wPxGSGx.jpg

AdanVC

I made a new level!

Cloudtop Cruise 8-Bit Version.

(A6D7-0000-0077-C9C5)

WVW69ibpCzwN35k_tY

Based obviously on the Mario Kart 8 track of the same name. It's short but designed to be fun while enjoying the Mario Kart skin in it :D. Hope you guys can check it out. It would mean a lot to me! Thanks.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Here's a fairly short puzzle course. I've been super busy with work recently and burned out on course creation for a bit, so this is my first new one in a little while. Please enjoy and any feedback is appreciated.

WVW69ibovG82ogdkTZ

Always scarier at night..

(F382-0000-0077-ADA2)

Ayy, stuck on the last post of the last page. I'll bump this guy just once.

octopiggy

I've amassed a pretty huge amount of stars since they included the top 100 in all charts rather than just 50. Which means that I got this a lot quicker than I thought I would:
WVW69ibnCDQUvLJWvp

I'm also slowly working my way up the charts. I'm now 42nd place for all-time, global maker. And WarioWare, Inc. is 89th place in all-time, global courses. Sporky is still destroying me though :)

Only 7 more mystery mushrooms to unlock too!

RMI

Banned
I made a new level!

Cloudtop Cruise 8-Bit Version.

(A6D7-0000-0077-C9C5)

WVW69ibpCzwN35k_tY

Based obviously on the Mario Kart 8 track of the same name. It's short but designed to be fun while enjoying the Mario Kart skin in it :D. Hope you guys can check it out. It would mean a lot to me! Thanks.

Fun course,

I missed the jump into the music block section on the first try but got it on the second. I liked the vine portion with bullet bills on either side. Not sure what the incentive is to take the lower track when the course splits, but I went up each time because coins seem like a much better chioce than a bunch of those horrible gophers or moles or whatever they are with the wrenches.

Have you tried this as an auto scrolling level? It might make it more difficult than you like but it could be fun. I know people dont like those, but i don't mind.

I have one more level to share, it's a SMB castle level

CP64iWaUwAAVesa.jpg

IKE SUPER STAR

Course ID: EF79-0000-0067-4B9F

This one has some tricky platforming bits, hidden 1ups, and is pretty easy if you find the right power up. I decided to go with hammer brothers at the end rather than bowser because his flames could really make the moving platform section a real pain. Please try it out and let me know what you think.

choodi

Banned
Finally out of the editing software, here's the video of your levels:

https://youtu.be/ES-R7Ngrtis

I'm not a native speaker of English, but I hope you'll understand most of my comments :eek: I don't really talk that much in the video, but I liked playing all the levels and I think just watching someone else play your levels is useful feedback in itself. IIRC, there were no fatal problems in any of the levels, I just happen to like platforming and action more than puzzles :)

The first two levels didn't get much airtime I'm afraid, but only because I finished them so quickly. They were fun to play though, definitely following you guys.

Anyone looking for a fun and fair platforming challenge should try Neki's stage, it's easily one of the best user made levels in this style that I've come across yet, really really liked it, check it out:

Rosalina and the Floating Towers
BBB0-0000-0074-53B1

And here's two of my stages if you guys want to give them a go (both include a speed run challenge): 0671-0000-003A-121F + C664-0000-0047-837E

Thanks again for the levels (even you puzzle and semi-puzzle freaks KooopaKid and VandalD), I will definitely do this again, cheers!

----

EDIT: Added time stamps for the levels:

00:00 - 02:21
Oni Link 666:
★-4 Casa de Bowser
3075-0000-006F-F5C6

02:22 - 04:17
Choodi:
6D8E-0000-0073-2036

04:18 - 32:12
Neki:
Rosalina and the Floating Towers
BBB0-0000-0074-53B1

33:13 - 56:54
KoopaKid:
D23B-0000-0074-9B2C

56:55 - 1:04:50
VandalD:
Follow That Shell!
7D40-0000-0074-487F

Thanks for playing.

Watching someone else play my level was one of the most fascinating things I've ever seen. I'm glad you liked it.

I was trying to focus on making a simple, short yet challenging level that would test out one particular skill (being able to link multiple jumps on moving targets).

I was really glad that you understood immediately what you had to do to complete the level. I was worried that it might not be immediately obvious.

When I get some time I'm going to try to record myself playing through a few GAF-made levels and provide some comments and feedback.

ohNOitsRO

My nephew has several of these handheld maze toys called Perplexus.

51JJuItmd6L._AC_UL320_SR274,320_.jpg

ohNOitsRO has a stage :

WVW69iZjBkIdbOYmzn

One Screen Wonder
ID: 359C-0000-004B-D959

This reminds me of these toys because of every danger being immediately visible and contained to the single screen giving me a vibe of physicality and holding it in my hand.
We pass the gamepad around here and no one else has cleared it. It's tricky but not particularly difficult if you "go with the flow" on the 1st half as soon as it starts in order to hit the music-notes-on-the-way-to-the-door in a clean motion avoiding all the danger.
The 2nd half is easy using caution with the hardest part finding the timing on when to go and head for the drop to the door.

Hey man that's awesome I really appreciate the shoutout! I'm glad you enjoyed it and in fact I have a part two of the one screen mechanic under my levels you might enjoy but it is a bit harder than the first I think xD

VandalD

Finally out of the editing software, here's the video of your levels:

https://youtu.be/ES-R7Ngrtis

I'm not a native speaker of English, but I hope you'll understand most of my comments :eek: I don't really talk that much in the video, but I liked playing all the levels and I think just watching someone else play your levels is useful feedback in itself. IIRC, there were no fatal problems in any of the levels, I just happen to like platforming and action more than puzzles :)

And here's two of my stages if you guys want to give them a go (both include a speed run challenge): 0671-0000-003A-121F + C664-0000-0047-837E

Thanks again for the levels (even you puzzle and semi-puzzle freaks KooopaKid and VandalD), I will definitely do this again, cheers!
Interesting. I wouldn't have considered it a puzzle level unless the player can't read the name of the level. Thanks for playing and uploading video. And your English is just fine.

Ffs it doesn't keep a record of levels you skip in 100 mode. "Where's the Mushroom" level in Mario 3 style. Anyone have the code? Lol. By a girl called Molly. Level was very small. The level exit was hidden behind some bricks. I found 2 invisible ? Blocks. Neither had a mushroom.

daydream

Banned
status update: moving has been going well so far. still diligently collecting your contest votes.

i wanna put out a showcase update as soon as i'm free to, uh, live life again so if you've played a gaffer stage you deem worthy, let me know!

I am gonna start marathoning as many gaf levels as I can and leaving some feedback for the next hour or so :) So if you want some feedback (preferably if not many people have played your level) let me know :)

And if yoh wanna check out my newest level and give some feedback that would be cool too :)

Sky High Cargo Chase
CB2D-0000-006C-86F8

Hey man that's awesome I really appreciate the shoutout! I'm glad you enjoyed it and in fact I have a part two of the one screen mechanic under my levels you might enjoy but it is a bit harder than the first I think xD

Yep! I have given it a few goes but just haven't gotten the last bit down yet. Dang bombs! always be blowing up in my hands... So goes the life of Mario. I usually clear something before I star it.

Haha, I went to try a few more times before I head out for the evening and I am just too frazzled right now, playing terrible and in a hurry. It will be cleared just like the 1st one eventually.

LuFel

i tried to remake the world 1 of Atari 8bit game BROS. plus bonus rooms with coins in each stage.

WVW69ibpdBIyCcduZD

Bros 1-1 => 14D3-0000-0077-EE2F
Bros 1-2 => 8E4B-0000-0077-EE85
Bros 1-3 => B4A6-0000-0077-EEE5
Bros 1-4 => 086F-0000-0077-EF32

enjoy...

I am gonna start marathoning as many gaf levels as I can and leaving some feedback for the next hour or so :) So if you want some feedback (preferably if not many people have played your level) let me know :)

And if yoh wanna check out my newest level and give some feedback that would be cool too :)

Sky High Cargo Chase
CB2D-0000-006C-86F8

Mario's Nightmare
ID: 2D31-0000-0077-66EF

Please :)

Will check out your level now....

andytjm

Neo Member

Sky High Cargo Chase
CB2D-0000-006C-86F8

That was a fun little level.

Would you mind trying Escape Samus, please?
ID: 56EC-0000-0069-3D09

Thud

Sky High Cargo Chase
CB2D-0000-006C-86F8

Pick your poison!

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/makers/Thuddert

I'll check out your level in a moment :p

exfatal

I enjoyed the swimming portion, but it looks like I got the short (bad?) path? I didn't think the running at the start was that compelling. Are there more than 2 events?
yeah there's a bunch of events u need to get past the running portion though. theres like 6 events
Tip: you can jump once you get on treadmill that pushes u forward

Here are my three contributions -- all of which I spent WAY too much time making. I hope you enjoy, and any feedback is most welcome :)

MarioMaker-Twitter_promo-Walk_Koopa_Home-FLAT.png

Keep Koopa safe and don't let him out of your sight, because you can only finish the level as a team!

Escape_the_ROOM_of_DOOM-Twitter_promo-FLAT.jpg

A quick single-screen challenge that relies on fast reflexes and enemy crowd control. Can you find the super-cool secret shortcut?

Beetlemania-Twitter_promo-FLAT.png

A more polished version of a stage I shared here before. You'll learn all the ways a Buzzy Beetle shell can be your friend!

Ferrio

Banned
Man I wish you could disable comments in a level. People keep leaving comments, and there mere existence of a comment in my level breaks it cause you can locate where you are. So I always have to delete the comments.

exfatal

The Nintendo Olympic Games
ID:2B33-0000-0077-8C90

Posting my stage 1 more time, there's around 7 events to do. Just gotta be good and move fast to access them.
During Dash you can jump once u feel the speed boost on treadmills

andytjm

Neo Member
Man I wish you could disable comments in a level. People keep leaving comments, and there mere existence of a comment in my level breaks it cause you can locate where you are. So I always have to delete the comments.

You can disble comments in the pause menu.

Thud

Pause screen -> comments switch it to X.

You're welcome.

Mario's Nightmare
ID: 2D31-0000-0077-66EF

Please :)

Will check out your level now....

So I am finding this one very confusing. I have seemingly tried everything and I have zero idea what or where I'm suppose to be going :( i honestly can't give any more feedback because I am stuck :( Will still give a star because it seems thought through.

Fireblend

Banned
This game is consuming my life. Ended up creating a new stage even though I should be working :p This one's my interpretation of a classic SMW Boo House - you have to make it at least twice through the same room, there are various fake exits, and of course, there are boos.

I've tried to tone down the difficulty based on feedback from my previous stages so I'm really looking forward to what you guys think of this one :p it doesn't punish mistakes with death as much as with pushing you back a bit, and you always learn something after each iteration. It's not very long either.

Also I feel like this one is by far my most aesthetically pleasing stage. Took inspiration from a ton of great gafer stages I've played today and actually spent some time trying to make my "rooms" well-composed. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Anyway, here goes:

EYpVNwD.png

Let me know what you guys think :)

I'd love your feedback! I have to actually work now, but I'll give yours a shot tonight :)

Model 500

Thanks for playing.

Watching someone else play my level was one of the most fascinating things I've ever seen. I'm glad you liked it.

I was trying to focus on making a simple, short yet challenging level that would test out one particular skill (being able to link multiple jumps on moving targets).

Your level was very solid, not too challenging, but very nicely done and enjoyable to run through and definitely tested the concept you had in mind perfectly. Thanks, will definitely check out your upcoming levels in the future.

ElRenoRaven

Finally made another. This one is actually not a redo. Snuck in a few hidden things. I try to keep it very Nintendo like so it shouldn't be super hard.

E806-0000-0077-0463
7hpieH8.jpg

That was a fun little level.

Would you mind trying Escape Samus, please?
ID: 56EC-0000-0069-3D09

So I played this. I really like the execution here. I like that you picked a single concept for the level and each new heighy you reached elevated thr challenge in a logical way. Nothing thrown at me was random or unexpected. All the control felt in the players hand which I think is fantastic.

I almost think the level could use another tier. You spaced the power ups well. The clear rate is really low which I find surprising though because I thought it was a fairly easy level. You did a great job on this.

jnWake

I played an actually good level in 100 Mario Easy. Can barely believe it.

It was a simple NSMBU ground level but it had a neat "feature", the creator put clouds in many parts of the level and "attached" comments to them to teach stuff. A pretty nifty tutorial. It also had a hidden checkpoint at the beggining by putting a hidden block. Very cool.

Model 500

Interesting. I wouldn't have considered it a puzzle level unless the player can't read the name of the level. Thanks for playing and uploading video. And your English is just fine.

You're right, it's not, I was just in my puzzle-rage mode after KooopaKids' level (which was cool as well) and my definition of a puzzle stage is pretty much anything where I need to think / stop rather than react or go with the flow, etc. :D

I will actually go back and star your level when I wake up tomorrow, it was amazing and very nicely designed. I would recommend others to check it out as well, here's the code:

Follow That Shell!
7D40-0000-0074-487F

Sky High Cargo Chase
CB2D-0000-006C-86F8

Very nice level! Keeps you on edge without being too tough. It's nice to see a good airship level that isn't an auto-scroller.

andytjm

Neo Member
So I played this. I really like the execution here. I like that you picked a single concept for the level and each new heighy you reached elevated thr challenge in a logical way. Nothing thrown at me was random or unexpected. All the control felt in the players hand which I think is fantastic.

I almost think the level could use another tier. You spaced the power ups well. The clear rate is really low which I find surprising though because I thought it was a fairly easy level. You did a great job on this.

Wow, thanks a lot!

I originally did have another tier, but had to get rid of it as I ran out of space.

So I am finding this one very confusing. I have seemingly tried everything and I have zero idea what or where I'm suppose to be going :( i honestly can't give any more feedback because I am stuck :( Will still give a star because it seems thought through.

One pipe will lead you on towards the exit. Who nose where it could be?

I've updated My Little Yoshi: Friendship is Tragic!

I've smoothed some of the edges and pain points, and also cut a significant chunk of the level. It's still on the long side, but it's also more forgiving. I also retooled a couple puzzles that I think will make it a bit more interesting.

Please try the updated version and let me know what you think!

VIML7Ec.png

Couple updates for www.mariomakerhub.com

You can now rate levels! We hope people actively rate levels they liked as it would make the database search much more useful.

We also added way more categories like Metroidvania and Speedrun for finding levels. Are there any categories missing that people would want?

Edit: Oh and we added a random level button.

Can you please add the ability to delete levels? I've updated one of mine and pulled an old one, and I want to remove the old one but I can't see how to do it.

Anyway, here goes:

EYpVNwD.png

Let me know what you guys think :)

I'd love your feedback! I have to actually work now, but I'll give yours a shot tonight :)

So I actually really like this level. I got fooled by every door (like a chump) but made it to the end. Took one try. I think this is a good example of a ghost house. Getting it wrong was not frustrating because you had a logical progression of things to try and one of them ultimately lead to the correct solution. I like that you gave regen fire flowers to ease the difficulty as the boo room is pretty tight on space.

The weakest part of the level was that ending room. It felt sorta like you wanted to do one more grand little idea but stopped yourself for an easy spin jump part. I think you made the general level fair enough to expand that part a bit. Overall great level though. Really happy with the difficulty and execution here.

Wow, thanks a lot!

I originally did have another tier, but had to get rid of it as I ran out of space.

Ah makes sense. The level didn't seem that block heavy though. Makes me wonder if there is possible trim potential.

One pipe will lead you on towards the exit. Who nose where it could be?

I genuinely do not know haha. I'll give it a few more tries though.
I've updated My Little Yoshi: Friendship is Tragic!

I've smoothed some of the edges and pain points, and also cut a significant chunk of the level. It's still on the long side, but it's also more forgiving. I also retooled a couple puzzles that I think will make it a bit more interesting.

Please try the updated version and let me know what you think!

VIML7Ec.png

Played it. I had already played your original version but it seems several parts were changed. I like that you got rid of the bob omb part because I really didn't like it it the first level. I lije thr secrets and shortcuts you added for people who kept their eyes open. I think I broke the level by making a third yoshi egg spawn while 2 were still there because I got a feather. I didn't cheese it though. Did everything properly. Also like how you made the ice part a single tier. Instead of two. I think this version is more playet friendly.

Good job taking the feedback and making some drastic alterations to increase playabililty. Well deserved star.

jholmes

Ahh so the self-promotion cold war is only getting worse I see :(

The first comment someone has left on a level I've made

"At least you tried/10"

I got really bummed out and deleted the level. Turned off the game. Feel like a rejected teenager.

Some people out there just want to be negative about stages. Sometimes they don't quite find their audience and sometimes someone just wants to find something to knock you down about. Don't worry about those people if you're proud of your work. Someone else out there will agree with you!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I've amassed a pretty huge amount of stars since they included the top 100 in all charts rather than just 50. Which means that I got this a lot quicker than I thought I would:
WVW69ibnCDQUvLJWvp

I'm also slowly working my way up the charts. I'm now 42nd place for all-time, global maker. And WarioWare, Inc. is 89th place in all-time, global courses. Sporky is still destroying me though :)

Only 7 more mystery mushrooms to unlock too!

Wow that's impressive. How many courses have you made? I just picked up the game like three days back and have dabbled, made 4 courses... No idea how you get visibility though, none of mine have more than 7 players. Not that they are that good mind you :)

Fireblend

Banned
So I actually really like this level. I got fooled by every door (like a chump) but made it to the end. Took one try. I think this is a good example of a ghost house. Getting it wrong was not frustrating because you had a logical progression of things to try and one of them ultimately lead to the correct solution. I like that you gave regen fire flowers to ease the difficulty as the boo room is pretty tight on space.

The weakest part of the level was that ending room. It felt sorta like you wanted to do one more grand little idea but stopped yourself for an easy spin jump part. I think you made the general level fair enough to expand that part a bit. Overall great level though. Really happy with the difficulty and execution here.

Thanks! It's awesome that you liked it and that you actually beat it on your first attempt without it feeling super easy :p it was what I was going for for sure.

Not sure what you mean by "spin jump part" though. The final room (assuming you mean the one with the bridge?) isn't really meant to be more than a way to get to the end of the level, I added the P-Switch just so it would be consistent with the rest of the stage, but I felt that anything lengthier would have made the stage unnecessarily long - the meat of the stage is supposed to be the room you have to get through multiple times, and I thought making the player have to go through more stuff after that could be frustrating. Instead, as soon as they see that pipe they know the end is near.

I find it funny that you did a spin jump there because there's a p switch that comes from a pipe at the other end of the room that you're supposed to use instead lol. No spin jump required.

Also, how many stars are required to get more upload slots? I have a little less than 15 I think.

And for the new page here's my latest stage again (linking to avoid image spam). Leave a comment and I'll check out yours! Spent the better part of my morning doing just that, but man, this thread is quick :p

Would be interested to know if it is totally confusing to other people. I built it so to me it's obvious :)

I got pretty confused at the cloud part. I just beat it. Didnt click that I could jump on them for some reason . Well thought out level. I knew where I needed to get to I just failed to have it sink in. Brain fart on my part really.

jarosh

Lastly, another level that got a heap of love but is getting more is:

jarosh
Super Ma<>CTHULHU FHTAGN<>
ID: EEAF-0000-0061-9899

Mario Maker needs more Lovecraftian horror and this brings it. My favorite part was the fire-spitting-piranha-plant-clowncar harasser.
That little section of up-down-back-forth was the most afraid I was even though I never died to him I was always thinking I was just about to. I certainly died plenty of other places though :p
The oh-crap run aspect of the finale was a nice sudden change of pace after so much cautious puttering around the trap-filled nightmare zone of the overworld.

On that otherworldly note, the only level I've had time to make is:

WVW69ia-MwsjJo9aML

ruins of the shoggoth
ID: 9320-0000-006A-97E2

I wanted to mess around with the tile sets of SMW underground and see how Lovecraftian it could look. I also wanted to toy with making a boss-type encounter with some dimension-bending shambling shoggoths.
You start off at a forgotten crumbling ghost bridge that leads to an even more forgotten crumbling ancient evil bridge. There are some loops around if you want to explore and then the confrontation with the famous eyeballs-and-mouths-mounds-of-horror.
There are several different ways of dealing with them. Medium challenge I guess with a teeny bit of trial-and-error (I know some people hate that).

Thanks for the praise. Will def play your lovecraftian course tomorrow!

I actually updated my poster because the old one was apparently too subtle for some who didn't immediately catch on to the Cthulhu theme based on the image... so I hope this does the trick :p

zzzRAjr.png

Just played this. LOVED it. The ending has a great feeling to it as you "reverse" it. Really fun level, big time starred.

:D

octopiggy

Wow that's impressive. How many courses have you made? I just picked up the game like three days back and have dabbled, made 4 courses... No idea how you get visibility though, none of mine have more than 7 players. Not that they are that good mind you :)

I have 22 courses so far. Some more ambitious than others and 5 of them are reworkings of previous courses in some way. I've spent such a long time plating this game!

Ahh so the self-promotion cold war is only getting worse I see :(

It's not promotion if there's no money being exchanged. I think it's pretty cool that some people are spending some thought and time into advertising their levels, with the only reward being more people playing their creation!

Top Bottom