• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Simbabbad

Cool level, but I think the Brinstar layout worked better and was too similar in the puzzles.
The thing is, Metroid logic means you have to use powerups, and there aren't many powerups available: the only one that wasn't used in Brinstar is the hard/spiky hat, which has the issue to be incompatible with costume Mario. There's literally no other left.

I'm surprised you say they're similar, since Brinstar is nearly an adventure game whereas Kraid doesn't have much locked powerups (whereas Brinstar entirely stands on them), and give you early access to "battle" powerups for more action. The layout logic, tone and action are also different, and there are new features such as
the enemy generators you can disable by blocking them with invisible blocks and powerup checkpoints
, not to mention
two bosses
, different enemies, obstacles and situations. There is just one spot that uses similar gameplay (
the blue Spike Tops in tunnels
), and that was due to the many constraints designing Metroid levels generates in Mario Maker. Also,
is having the Samus costume in a Metroid level a negative? Costumes have just one feature: being able to break blocks while one block tall

Oh, well.

First of all, check your level ID, what you posted didn´t work (I think you mixed the 6 and 9).
There is actually no code problem, the only code I gave in this thread is with the PNG card, and it's correct. I always copy and past the codes from the Miiverse posts. You probably misread.

Dimentios

I already reviewd Sawblade Walker in my last post, check it. I have no problem recording it, but it won´t be a true "fresh" gameplay as I just played it yesterday.

Haha, yeah I know and thanks for that. However, I create little gifs for my levels like below, so any gameplay footage would be helpful, even if it is like 10 seconds long. You don't even have to do a full feedback report (love reading these). I really would appreciate it.

Glacier Cocktail (9E99-0000-00B3-4A19)

Advance through the glacier caverns which are home of the
Monty Moles. Watch your step, since it's getting colder
and colder the deeper you progress.

uMuxkuO.jpg

Been too busy to make any new levels or play the game much, sadly, but I just noticed that another one of my courses (Hard Hat Area) got featured on an official Nintendo site, this time on the Super Mario Maker site itself:

Good job, man. Hard Hat Area is an excellent level. One of my levels also got featured in the past and received a ton amount of stars and plays. Get ready for all those new medals!

Btw, I just noticed you are Swiss? Nice, almost speaking the same language, haha.

correojon

The thing is, Metroid logic means you have to use powerups, and there aren't many powerups available: the only one that wasn't used in Brinstar is the hard/spiky hat, which has the issue to be incompatible with costume Mario. There's literally no other left.
You could use bombs instead of the Shoe to break the floor. Just put the bombs in a blocked pipe and use a different powerup to unlock it for example. Or use the Spiky Helmet, the Fire Flower isn´t compatible with costumes either and it´s used several times in the level.

I'm surprised you say they're similar, since Brinstar is nearly an adventure game whereas Kraid doesn't have much locked powerups (whereas Brinstar entirely stands on them), and give you early access to "battle" powerups for more action. The layout logic, tone and action are also different, and there are new features such as
the enemy generators you can disable by blocking them with invisible blocks and powerup checkpoints
, not to mention
two bosses
, different enemies, obstacles and situations. There is just one spot that uses similar gameplay (
the blue Spike Tops in tunnels
), and that was due to the many constraints designing Metroid levels generates in Mario Maker. Also,
is having the Samus costume in a Metroid level a negative? Costumes have just one feature: being able to break blocks while one block tall
I didn´t really feel that "action"...It´s true that you get a Fire Flower right from the start, but you really don´t get to use it much as most enemies present are inmune to it (Fire Cheeps, Chomps, SpikeTops...). The action instances felt too apart and isolated, while the general impression I got from this is that it was like the Brinstar map but with the key points farther apart. Now don´t get me wrong, I´m not saying it´s exactly like Brinstar, the layout is different, some enemies and most challenges are different, but the similarities really make it difficult to diferentiate one from the other. I think that the similarities make them feel like 2 different versions of the same thing, rather than 2 different and unique levels. I think they would benefit greatly from at least removing the similar puzzles in one of them and changing them to something else and also to think of a distinguising concept for each one and basing the level gameplay and aesthetics fully around it. For example, Kraid is a big green monster, in SMM you fight him in a room with vegetation and spikes, so you could use vines both as decorations through all the level and also incorporate them in some puzzles. Or Piranha Plants, those will strengthen the "vegetal" theme, can be used in action sequences and can put the Fire Flower to use.

I never said that having the Samus costume was bad, in fact in my review of your level I think I said just the opposite, that I would have liked to play as Samus the whole level but I understood that it wasn´t possible with the way powerUps work in SMM. I don´t know why you are bringing this up :S

There is actually no code problem, the only code I gave in this thread is with the PNG card, and it's correct. I always copy and past the codes from the Miiverse posts. You probably misread.
You´re right, I messed up when I copied the code from your image, sorry.

Thud

I dunno, the path back to the helmet should only take a few seconds regardless of the door you take to return; it's a pretty small space. The hammer bros in NSMBU style are very slow and follow a very evenly paced pattern. They throw 3 hammers and then jump. You can deal with him by just going below him, as he won't throw hammers unless you can see him and by the time he jumps down below you should be long gone. Or you can wait for him to jump and see if he decides to jump down through the mushroom to the area below. If he does that you can just hop across the upper path unhindered. The easiest of the secret fire flowers to find and obtain is right there, too.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Well it seems pretty scary. I'm also thinking about how other players would react

Another awesome level by my friend Kiavik. Check it out, it's really well polished and challenging!

Mario's Silly Makeshift Cars
EEE6-0000-00ED-41A2
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01bhpps.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_013xqob.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_013cqps.jpg

This level uses a new mechanic I devised that I like to call "The Car". It requires fast reflexes, keen eye and mastery of the controls. The last part of the level is very hard but it's not long, and there's a checkpoint right before it so you can definitely make it ;) I'm really proud of how this level turned out, I had a blast making it and playtesting it, to the point I play it by myself every now and then when I want to have some fun. I hope you'll have fun too. :)

Killua

Been too busy to make any new levels or play the game much, sadly, but I just noticed that another one of my courses (Hard Hat Area) got featured on an official Nintendo site, this time on the Super Mario Maker site itself:

http://supermariomaker.nintendo.com/play/

qkXC0QP.png

And at least one more gaffer level (Cloud Bully) is up there too!

Oh shit! My "Infamous Red Shell Heist" was featured! Awesome! That makes me super happy.

Awesome that they included Cloud Bully and Hard Hat too. Those are some great levels.

Top 3 are GAF

Simbabbad

You could use bombs instead of the Shoe to break the floor. Just put the bombs in a blocked pipe and use a different powerup to unlock it for example. Or use the Spiky Helmet, the Fire Flower isn´t compatible with costumes either and it´s used several times in the level.
The Fire Flower doesn't hurt you when you collect it as Samus. Everybody understands the way the Mystery Mushroom/Fire Flower relation is handled: when you pick one, you lose the other, whereas people don't expect to be hurt when you collect the Spiky Hat as costume Mario. Using the Spiky Hat imposes a certain logic,
wait to play the sequel to see that

I don't see what good it would do to replace the action of using a powerup to smash a floor with the action of releasing bombs: first, when you break blocks to access a pipe in this series, you expect a powerup, not enemies falling on you, so this would cause a huge readability problem and tons of accidental hits. Then, if you do this, the bombs naturally fall to the place you want to go to - not very convenient. Also, that would imply that I remove the
big chain chomps
, that is, new enemies. And finally,
the Spiky Hat wouldn't be useful at all in the final boss fight, whereas the Stiletto is

My series use six main sorts of powerups, all the ones available to me, with variants (
the Stiletto in Kraid doesn't have wings
). Saying it's a negative I use the Stiletto twice is like saying it's a negative you use bombs to break blocks in both Brinstar and Kraid in NES Metroid.

I never said that having the Samus costume was bad, in fact in my review of your level I think I said just the opposite, that I would have liked to play as Samus the whole level but I understood that it wasn´t possible with the way powerUps work in SMM. I don´t know why you are bringing this up :S
Your main negative point is similar powerups are used, including the Samus costume used to break blocks while one block tall. But the one thing distinctive with the Samus costume is that... it breaks blocks while one block tall. So that means having the Samus costume is a negative in a Metroid level. Or would you like to always be costumed as Samus (which would imply not using the hats you'd like me to use, BTW), but never use its one capability? I'm confused.

It´s true that you get a Fire Flower right from the start, but you really don´t get to use it much as most enemies present are inmune to it (Fire Cheeps, Chomps, SpikeTops...).
The Fire Flower is vital in the two segments
with the two bosses, Fake Kraid and Real Kraid, both against the bosses and the enemies around it (moles, Hammer Bros., Bob-ombs), those segments make about the third of the level all in all
. You say you wish you were Samus the whole time, but it's a negative the Samus costume's one capability is used, and it's also a negative the Fire Flower isn't used enough? The two segments using the Fire Flower have a Fire Flower nearby, and the segments where you use other powerups don't have as many enemies, to avoid what you pointed at in your Brinstar feedback: too much backtracking when you lose a powerup.

For example, Kraid is a big green monster, in SMM you fight him in a room with vegetation and spikes, so you could use vines both as decorations through all the level and also incorporate them in some puzzles. Or Piranha Plants, those will strengthen the "vegetal" theme, can be used in action sequences and can put the Fire Flower to use.
I think by "SMM" you mean "Super Metroid"? I'm against the overuse of vines in Super Mario Maker, especially in Super Mario Bros. style where they're often horrible to use. And Samus never ever climbs vines in any game ever (unless I'm mistaken), and that's not the point of my series at all, there is no vegetation in Kraid in NES Metroid, and not around the location of Kraid in Super Metroid either (except the boss room). Kraid is crumbling ruins, lava (which wasn't in Brinstar) and metallic areas (which wasn't in Brinstar and which
in my level feature the challenge of Bob-ombs generators breaking the floor
), that's what I exploit in my level. I won't make up something that isn't Kraid at all for the sake of being different, I'd rather make a whole new level that isn't named Kraid. Piranha Plants also aren't the best enemies in a context where you have to keep your powerup: either you have the Fire Flower or a boot and they're no challenge, or you don't, and they may imply unnecessary backtracking, especially if they fire fireballs, which in this context is problematic.

Look, I get it: you felt it was too much of the same. I'm not trying to argue that, you felt what you felt, and that's that. I'm not trying to argue a feeling you had naturally, it'd be stupid. I'm telling you there is no easy way around it, and your suggestions don't really work. I saw your point about the negatives your brought about Brinstar (and worked on it for a correction to be published later), but here I'm not sharing the same impression, or I don't think it's an actual issue.

I wonder if you'll feel the same thing for Ridley, I'd be surprised.

jarosh

Haha, yeah I know and thanks for that. However, I create little gifs for my levels like below, so any gameplay footage would be helpful, even if it is like 10 seconds long. You don't even have to do a full feedback report (love reading these). I really would appreciate it.

Good job, man. Hard Hat Area is an excellent level. One of my levels also got featured in the past and received a ton amount of stars and plays. Get ready for all those new medals!

Btw, I just noticed you are Swiss? Nice, almost speaking the same language, haha.

Was heisst denn hier bitte "almost"? :p

correojon

No problem, I just wanted you to know so you didn´t mistook my reactions with those of someone playing the level for the first time.

The Fire Flower doesn't hurt you when you collect it as Samus. Everybody understands the way the Mystery Mushroom/Fire Flower relation is handled: when you pick one, you lose the other, whereas people don't expect to be hurt when you collect the Spiky Hat as costume Mario. Using the Spiky Hat imposes a certain logic,
wait to play the sequel to see that

I don't see what good it would do to replace the action of using a powerup to smash a floor with the action of releasing bombs: first, when you break blocks to access a pipe in this series, you expect a powerup, not enemies falling on you, so this would cause a huge readability problem and tons of accidental hits. Then, if you do this, the bombs naturally fall to the place you want to go to - not very convenient. Also, that would imply that I remove the
big chain chomps
, that is, new enemies. And finally,
the Spiky Hat wouldn't be useful at all in the final boss fight, whereas the Stiletto is

My series use six main sorts of powerups, all the ones available to me, with variants (
the Stiletto in Kraid doesn't have wings
). Saying it's a negative I use the Stiletto twice is like saying it's a negative you use bombs to break blocks in both Brinstar and Kraid in NES Metroid.

Your main negative point is similar powerups are used, including the Samus costume used to break blocks while one block tall. But the one thing distinctive with the Samus costume is that... it breaks blocks while one block tall. So that means having the Samus costume is a negative in a Metroid level. Or would you like to always be costumed as Samus (which would imply not using the hats you'd like me to use, BTW), but never use its one capability? I'm confused.

The Fire Flower is vital in the two segments
with the two bosses, Fake Kraid and Real Kraid, both against the bosses and the enemies around it (moles, Hammer Bros., Bob-ombs), those segments make about the third of the level all in all
. You say you wish you were Samus the whole time, but it's a negative the Samus costume's one capability is used, and it's also a negative the Fire Flower isn't used enough? The two segments using the Fire Flower have a Fire Flower nearby, and the segments where you use other powerups don't have as many enemies, to avoid what you pointed at in your Brinstar feedback: too much backtracking when you lose a powerup.

I think by "SMM" you mean "Super Metroid"? I'm against the overuse of vines in Super Mario Maker, especially in Super Mario Bros. style where they're often horrible to use. And Samus never ever climbs vines in any game ever (unless I'm mistaken), and that's not the point of my series at all, there is no vegetation in Kraid in NES Metroid, and not around the location of Kraid in Super Metroid either (except the boss room). Kraid is crumbling ruins, lava (which wasn't in Brinstar) and metallic areas (which wasn't in Brinstar and which
in my level feature the challenge of Bob-ombs generators breaking the floor
), that's what I exploit in my level. I won't make up something that isn't Kraid at all for the sake of being different, I'd rather make a whole new level that isn't named Kraid. Piranha Plants also aren't the best enemies in a context where you have to keep your powerup: either you have the Fire Flower or a boot and they're no challenge, or you don't, and they may imply unnecessary backtracking, especially if they fire fireballs, which in this context is problematic.

Look, I get it: you felt it was too much of the same. I'm not trying to argue that, you felt what you felt, and that's that. I'm not trying to argue a feeling you had naturally, it'd be stupid. I'm telling you there is no easy way around it, and your suggestions don't really work. I saw your point about the negatives your brought about Brinstar (and worked on it for a correction to be published later), but here I'm not sharing the same impression, or I don't think it's an actual issue.

I wonder if you'll feel the same thing for Ridley, I'd be surprised.
What I´m trying to say is that you shouldn´t be using the same powerUps in the exact same ways, as that makes all levels feel similar to the player. You should be using different powerUps or using the same powerUps in different ways, so each level has it´s own thing going, rather than "I got the Samus costume, that means I have to go again to a tight corridor with Spiketops". It´s just my opinion, but I wanted to make it clear as I felt you weren´t understanding the main point or I wasn´t expressing it correctly.

Simbabbad

You should be using different powerUps or using the same powerUps in different ways...
I just explained to you all the possible powerups are used, and all their possible features are used :) and your suggestions can't work because of constraints or consistency reasons. Isolating rooms from each other (both visually and from enemy influence,
in particular from Bowser
), number of screens limit, screen heigh limit, scrolling management, block limit, pipe warp limit, managing powerup loss and backtracking, making sure the player will understand what he/she can do or not, etc. create a lot more constraints than you think. It doesn't change your overall feeling, but given those constraints it's even surprising the levels have that much different elements, enemies, bosses, obstacles, etc. All in all there is one spot that is similar, because
there's so much different gameplay you can do in a strip that's 5 blocks high with costume Mario
- I wasn't overjoyed when I took that decision, but believe me I tried many other combinations before adopting it. Frankly, to me that part isn't important compared to
two long strips of boss fights, in particular the one with Fake Kraid (Real Kraid is a bit too much "standard Mario castle", even if I don't regret that decision either) with the Bob-ombs destroying the floor and the generators you can turn off, not the mention the part with the moles

I'm not saying your overall feeling is wrong and I'm not even arguing it, I'm explaining I don't share it and your suggestions don't work in such a project, or aren't things I think are appropriate.

Looking at the discussion above, I just want to say that having a Bob-omb section instead of using the shoe to break blocks would actually make the level more samey compared to other levels, because so many levels these days have sections where you have to break walls or floors with bob-ombs.

CrisKre

Just finished a new level guys!!!

I even made a little poster for this one:

shiveringly_frozen_cold_manor.jpg

Shiveringly Frozen Cold Manor!

6A1C-0000-00EF-2E97

WVW69ilCJXMHkMWlm-

This is probably the level I spent the most time on. It´s a themed Mario-metroid-castlevania inspired level with lots of platform sections and easy power-up progression, and of course a lot of secrets and alt. paths.

here is a video of the first couple sections of the level:

https://youtu.be/_KF7QnzvgQc

Would hold eternal gratitude to any kind soul that wants to give feedback!!! (and check would your levels in return, of course)
Thank you kind guys and gals!!

CrisKre

Snowy Sky Lift Summit! (69B1-0000-00E7-B91F) by CrisKre
Another awesome level by CrisKre. As in all his levels, exploration and looking for secrets are a big part of gameplay and both are really well executed. This level relies more on (simple) puzzles, even though there are also some platforming challenges. The theming is very well done, the cottage in the snow was very nice looking and the snow effects was very nice. This level is less "chaotic" than his previous ones

Just saw your video of my Snowy Sky Lift Summit level. Wow, you are a thorough gamer!! Lol. You made me nervous at many instances I thought where you might break the level! Loved it. Many many thanks and super helpful.

LoveCake

A very short level with lots of elements thrown together in a short space, it seems like you wanted to use what tools you had at your disposal! I enjoyed the platforming while it lasted, but felt the design was a bit loose. There was a lot of stuff going on but much of it, such as the titular spike-throwing Lukatu, didn't have any effect on my progress. Remember that Mario is extremely mobile in NSMBU, with a few jumps and twirls he can cover lots of ground quickly. I'd look again at some of the enemy and platform placement to make sure all that stuff in your level is more relevant. It's a cool title, make more out of it!

Thanks, i have had a go at some of the other levels people have created & they all seem to be very cluttered, as i said i am only at level two so don't have much to pick from.

I will keep having a tinker with the level.

Thanks for playing.

Just finished a new level guys!!!

I even made a little poster for this one:

6A1C-0000-00EF-2E97

WVW69ilCJXMHkMWlm-

This is probably the level I spent the most time on. It´s a themed Mario-metroid-castlevania inspired level with lots of platform sections and easy power-up progression, and of course a lot of secrets and alt. paths.

here is a video of the first couple sections of the level:

https://youtu.be/_KF7QnzvgQc

Would hold eternal gratitude to any kind soul that want to give feedback!!! (and check would your levels in return, of course)
Thank you kind guys and gals!!

Epic! I nearly beat it on the first attempt, but ran out of time right above the end box! I loved the art design, the challenges, and the overall difficulty. The ice wasn't only there for the theme, but used in interesting ways, like as a platform in a circle of ghosts. It's also fun playing levels were you get progressively better power ups as you go, makes it feel like a Metroidvania. As for the look, I didn't download it, but it's clear your friend used a lot of different layers to create the perfect look. That takes a lot of hard work and dedication to experiment with the creation tools, see how they behave, their limitations, and use them to get the effect you want. Probably my favorite part was the drawbridge/door at the beginning. All in all an amazing level, try it people!

Here's my latest. It's a tough challenge, but I worked hard to make sure that the challenge was always fair. So no leaps of faith or unforseen insta-deaths. Anyway, here it is:

ELTXYvT.jpg

Name: Defeat the Razor Fleet
Code: C486-0000-00EE-73A8

Let me know what you think and have fun!

Time for a couple more:

I starred it because it was pretty inventive and good fun in parts, but there are a couple of issues. The first relates to the springs that can be simply picked up from their rails. I trivialised the first section by just picking a couple of springs up and stacking them to reach the first main platform. They also spawn inconsistently. I died 4 times in total, and on each restart I don't think the springs were ever in the same positions. One time a pair were grouped together, on another occasion there was only one on a rail when there should have been two! Otherwise it's a good level, with a decent central mechanic that gets progressively more interesting and doesn't outstay its welcome.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I know that the springs can be plucked off the rails and I agree it's a bit of a problem, I just didn't know how to fix it. To compensate, I've placed multiple springs so even if you pick up one by mistake there is another to bounce on. I also placed a spring-spewing pipe to help out too. That's weird about the spawning! I've not noticed that before.

Cloudrush Castle: F5D7-0000-00E6-976F by crixter

This level is crazy awesome! I loved the flying cloud mechanic and it's just such a good tight design. This is one of my faves no doubt.

EEE6-0000-00ED-41A2 by kiavik

This was ok, fun for a quick blast but I felt the part where the car split was a little cheap - I'm not sure you can survive it the first time you play it. Havning said that, it amazes me how people can make these cars and things so that part is very impressive.

Plug:

Might as well plug mine:

Trax Attacks: FFA1-0000-00EC-674A

Old School P'forming: 6A52-0000-00DC-26A7

Both are medium difficulty platforming tests - just designed to be fun and fair. Play please.

CrisKre

Epic! I nearly beat it on the first attempt, but ran out of time right above the end box! I loved the art design, the challenges, and the overall difficulty. The ice wasn't only there for the theme, but used in interesting ways, like as a platform in a circle of ghosts. It's also fun playing levels were you get progressively better power ups as you go, makes it feel like a Metroidvania. As for the look, I didn't download it, but it's clear your friend used a lot of different layers to create the perfect look. That takes a lot of hard work and dedication to experiment with the creation tools, see how they behave, their limitations, and use them to get the effect you want. Probably my favorite part was the drawbridge/door at the beginning. All in all an amazing level, try it people!

Here's my latest. It's a tough challenge, but I worked hard to make sure that the challenge was always fair. So no leaps of faith or unforseen insta-deaths. Anyway, here it is:

ELTXYvT.jpg

Thank you! Will try yours as soon as I get home.

Also, what an amazing username you have! Lol

Schlomo

Here's my latest creation:

Make Way for Yoshi!
(9661-0000-00EE-3475)

WVW69ik98xUbtqrC1g

It's a short puzzle level inspired by the Famitsu Event Course. You have to help Yoshi overcome various obstacles. Let me know what you think!

As always, here's some feedback:

6A1C-0000-00EF-2E97

I have come to expect outstanding levels from you and never leave disappointed. Great setup with the two main paths, all very well-constructed! You also nailed the atmosphere with the clock and all the sounds.

Some points that could perhaps be tweaked:
- I found the secret path on my first try and bypassed most of the level. I do like the idea that it's there, but it's not that hard to find, and it's a shame when it results in some players not seeing most of your level.
- There is a progress stopper in the room with the spiny helmet (I left a comment there). I managed to kick the spiny shell in the small space to the left of it and lose my first helmet at the same time. As a result, the helmet didn't respawn from the pipe and I couldn't leave the room. I couldn't even kill myself because I had despatched of the ghosts before, so I had to restart.
- Jumping from trampolines that are in turn jumping on something is just annoying.

Not a bad course, but I think it has some issues. Firstly, I often felt unsure where I should go. Maybe you could work a little on how to lead the player throughout the course, e.g. with some coins. Then I got stuck for a while at the part directly after you get Yoshi. The Propeller Mushroom didn't spawn from the pipe for three entire cycles through that area and I was just about to give up, when it finally appeared. I'd just put another one into a standard block there so all players find it.

JC Sera

I made a new level, its short and what it says on the tin
Slinky [MEDIUM]
ID: 7F23-0000-00EE-E585
CUCsdrAUEAAhrUh.jpg:large

also wiiu has a new webpage for sharing on twitter/facebook/tumblr pretty sweet

correojon

I just uploaded a new level:
Biomechanical Tower
E302-0000-00EF-4CDB

WVW69ilGZk0LUOjIKz

This is a vertical level where you can choose between 2 paths: the left path will take you through some challenges against wild vegetation and the right path will force you to be precise as a machine as you face mechanical menaces. Once you reach the top of the tower another choice will be presented to you: will you take the Kuribo Shoe and stomp on the sharp mechanical blades on your way down? Or will you choose the Fire Flower and descend while setting all the aggressive flora ablaze? Will you go for the powerup and forfeit the checkpoint or try your luck by going through the door to see what surprise it hides?
Pursue the Mega Koopa to the top of the of the tower to get rid of him once and for all! But be careful, as flora and machina may join forces against you...

There are 4 possible ways to beat the stage:
  • Rise through the left, descend through the right with the Shoe.
  • Rise through the left, descend through the left with the Flower. Risky: no checkpoint!
  • Rise through the right, descend through the left with the Flower.
  • Rise through the right, descend through the right with the Shoe. Risky: no checkpoint!

Each path has it´s own set of mechanics, (vines and Piranha Plants on the vegetal path, Grinders and Canons on the mechanical path) and have been cerafully balanced to provide a fair challenge in both directions and with or without the corresponding powerup.

I recommend that you take the door at the top, so you can rise through one path and descend through the other, so you can experience the most of the level and use the mid level checkpoint..

Hope you enjoy it and please give feedback!

Make Way for Yoshi!
(9661-0000-00EE-3475)

WVW69ik98xUbtqrC1g

It's a short puzzle level inspired by the Famitsu Event Course. You have to help Yoshi overcome various obstacles. Let me know what you think!

Not a bad course, but I think it has some issues. Firstly, I often felt unsure where I should go. Maybe you could work a little on how to lead the player throughout the course, e.g. with some coins. Then I got stuck for a while at the part directly after you get Yoshi. The Propeller Mushroom didn't spawn from the pipe for three entire cycles through that area and I was just about to give up, when it finally appeared. I'd just put another one into a standard block there so all players find it.

Thx Schlomo! The issues you brought up frustrated me in play testing, but I couldn't find a good way to solve them. I like having a flying propeller mushroom come out of the pipe while you're waiting for a safe time to jump. It's meant to be a surprise. But a few times it didn't spawn in timely fashion, like you said. The tricky part in placing a bonus propeller mushroom is not ruining the surprise, but again I couldn't figure out that balance.

Thanks again for playing and your feedback! I'll try yours out now and respond. The Famitsu Yoshi level was really fun, so I'm looking forward to this.

CrisKre

Make Way for Yoshi!
(9661-0000-00EE-3475)

WVW69ik98xUbtqrC1g

I have come to expect outstanding levels from you and never leave disappointed. Great setup with the two main paths, all very well-constructed! You also nailed the atmosphere with the clock and all the sounds.

Some points that could perhaps be tweaked:
- I found the secret path on my first try and bypassed most of the level. I do like the idea that it's there, but it's not that hard to find, and it's a shame when it results in some players not seeing most of your level.
- There is a progress stopper in the room with the spiny helmet (I left a comment there). I managed to kick the spiny shell in the small space to the left of it and lose my first helmet at the same time. As a result, the helmet didn't respawn from the pipe and I couldn't leave the room. I couldn't even kill myself because I had despatched of the ghosts before, so I had to restart.
- Jumping from trampolines that are in turn jumping on something is just annoying.

Wow, thanks and thank you for the notes. The initial shortcut was there because I'm trying to accomplish adjusting for players with less attention span. It may be a bit too easy to find though!

Ill play yours once i get home from work!

Simbabbad

It´s just my opinion, but I wanted to make it clear as I felt you weren´t understanding the main point or I wasn´t expressing it correctly.
Just watched the video, I haven't had the time to do so previously. I really want to emphasize I'm thankful you played and recorded a video of my level, which confirmed gameplay-wise there's nothing wrong with it, unlike the hiccups of Brinstar: I was glad the checkpoint powerups were understood and used at just the right place, and no part caused any real problem. You could have made the fight against
Fake Kraid easier if you had blocked the Bob-omb pipes (you previously blocked the fish dispenser, so you saw the mechanic), but as I hoped, the fight works regardless

Again, I understand and respect your opinion:
you see a brick wall, and think "oh, I need the shoe", you see tunnels and think: "oh, I need the Samus costume", and so there isn't the discovery of the previous level, and you think this could have been avoided

Make Way for Yoshi!
(9661-0000-00EE-3475)

WVW69ik98xUbtqrC1g

Alright, beat it twice and starred. I like the difficulty curve and it was satisfying to solve each room/area.

One issue is often I'd accidentally jump on Yoshi on the lower level. Even if I jump off, he'd sit still and if that happened twice, then no more Yoshis would spawn. Do I either enter the door and reset progress or jump head first into spikes to get Yoshi running. It's awkward. If there were someway to dispose of Yoshi if he fell rather than dodging him, then you could avoid that. Maybe a small pit to the right? Not sure.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips for a noob? I just borrowed the game, not sure what to expect.

RagnarokX

8:01 Garden Garrison (B8EA-0000-004B-81DE) by RagnarokX: This felt like an advanced 1-1. Good coin guiding, lots of different powerUps (Fire Flower, Propeller Hat and Yoshi), secrets everywhere (the last one took a bit to figure out, it was a bit confusing or maybe I just overthought it too much)...I really liked it. I tried to cheese by getting a Fire Flower in an unexpected way, just to have one available right after that, lol. That was a meaningful moment as it made me feel I was in the hands of a designer who knew what he was doing. The tank was very cool as well as the last fortress. I almost run out of time, there is so much to do in this level and I think I left things unseen. There´s no mechanical progression but it´s expected if you were going for a "sort of" 1-1 and it isn´t missed either.
Good work!

That last secret was made with the player having the propeller suit in mind. Mario can drill straight up through the brick blocks. Sorta like a reward for keeping it to the end.

17:25 Multicolor Mushroom Madness (5B40-0000-00E5-4709) by RagnarokX: Awesome level! The creativity meter is over 9000 in this one, it´s like 3 levels in one! Each world uses a different color and different mechanics with those same colors, so in the Green World you can see Green Koopas, Hammer Bros or Yoshi, in the Red one Red Blasters, angry Wrigglers or the Spiky Helmet and in the Yellow one Wigglers, coins and PSwitches (just to name a few elements of each world).
It´s divided in 2 parts: a first part focused more on exploration with a nice puzzle and a second one based on platforming with 3 paths to take, each with it´s own mechanics. I tried all of them but finally used the Yellow path, it seemed the most intuitive (after the green one, but this one forced you to use Yoshi and I´m not used to his floaty jump in NSMB style). The red path confused me a bit when you went through the arrows, I don´t know if they´re only there for the Yellow path or if they also apply to the Red path (I doubt it), but I think you should remove them. BTW, this must have taken ages to make, it´s worthy of much praise how you could squeeze together the 3 paths in the same space, yet make everything feel clean and clear at the same time.
The first part was very nice once you get the layout, but I felt that it was too dangerous and that is not a good setting for a part based on exploration. I can see many people giving up after a few tries (specially in 100 Mario mode) before they can figure out how to proceed. I would remove the bottomless pits, place more Mushrooms around or make a small introduction area where you have to play with the Triple World mechanic to advance, though this may not be possible with the limited door number. The lone Homming Bullet Bill felt a bit out of place just because there was only one of them while there were a lot of Wrigglers, you should consider adding more somewhere. This didn´t happen with the Hammer Bro in the Green World because he always feels like a miniboss so finding just one isn´t strange, but the Blaster being static doesn´t give that same feeling of belonging there. You could also mount it on a Red Wriggler and make that look like a miniboss, that way being only one of them won´t feel strange.
Also, just one remark; I usually hate Hammer Bros (it´s one of the few elements I´ve yet to use in a level), but you showed me they work nicely in the NSMB style, so thanks for that. You have set my mind gears to grind for ideas to use them :)
Very cool level, nice mix of puzzle, exploration, platforming and simple theming, really worth it to make the extra effort in the first part to see it all. it has a little bit of something for everyone. I´ll be replaying this to try to beat all the paths.
[/LIST]
I made the green path to not require yoshi's flutter jump, but it makes things easier. The way the jump works is you just hold the button and yoshi dips down a bit and ends up going higher than his first attempt. You're supposed to grab the hammers with yoshi's tongue and fire them back.

Most of the arrows in the 2nd half are for the green path. I know they are red, but I set a precedent in the 1st half of the course that they don't count towards the color theme; as they appear in the green and yellow versions of the course. Still, I tried to cover up the arrows with coins so that they are completely covered if you take the yellow path and hard to see on the red path and put them below the track so it wouldn't be as confusing.

When riding the wiggler on the track you want to not hold the jump button. Only jump when the Wiggler is about to turn around so you have more room to clear it. You were right at the end of the track when you fell, too. :(

The only major pit is on the far right of the level, the rest is covered by low mushrooms. Perhaps that hammer bro is a bit too scary, but all you really need to do is go under him. He gives you huge openings. Heh, I noticed you went through the red area backwards from my intended path through it the first time and then when you wanted to leave it you were dead set on taking what I consider the expert shortcut back to the door by walljumping off the red blasters. Oh, and you didn't need to triple jump or jump off the paratroopa to reach the pipe with the fire flower. All you needed was a running jump; like a single block of running speed from the red mushroom on top of the door. ;)

The single bullseye bill launcher is mostly there because I wanted a red wall to parallel the walls in the other sections, but I didn't like the other red things it could fire. Having it fire a red enemy that could fall felt unfair because it intersected the easy path to the door and went fast. The bullseye bills move super slow so I figured it was the most fair option.

Thanks for the feedback and I'm happy you enjoyed the course. Really appreciate it. I actually decided to make a standalone version of the 2nd half so that it gets more play and for people that want to give all 3 a go and don't want to do the first part over again. It features improvements to all 3 paths:

Prismatic Paths (21ED-0000-00EF-B55B)
it9xaK0l.jpg

CrisKre

ELTXYvT.jpg

Lots of fun expert course Jinjo! Died RIGHT at the end with the winged mole! Had me sweating there for a minute.

Another awesome level by my friend Kiavik. Check it out, it's really well polished and challenging!

EEE6-0000-00ED-41A2

Kiavik always comes up with some creative and fun ideas and this is no exception. The difficulty increase progression is also very well accomplished here.

Thanks for the feedback.

Might as well plug mine:

Trax Attacks: FFA1-0000-00EC-674A

Old School P'forming: 6A52-0000-00DC-26A7

Both are medium difficulty platforming tests - just designed to be fun and fair. Play please.

Holy challenging stages Batman! Trax gave me a lot od difficulty at first, but it taught me how to properly navigate Springs in tracks, which speaks great of the design.

Old school has some great koopa hopping sections.

I will say this are hard courses, but the length was perfect to avoid frustration.

Make Way for Yoshi!
(9661-0000-00EE-3475)

WVW69ik98xUbtqrC1g

It's a short puzzle level inspired by the Famitsu Event Course. You have to help Yoshi overcome various obstacles.

The mechanics in this level are great and you can tell you spent a lot of time thinking it through and implementing it. Great work. Felt like an awesome extension of the famitsu level.

Biomechanical Tower
E302-0000-00EF-4CDB

WVW69ilGZk0LUOjIKz

That was totally awesome and epic correjon! Loved it. The end boss is pretty tough as well, which was fun. You achieved a very distinct look and the whole thing is designed beautifully. Finished with very little time too. Felt like an adventure.

Thanks for the feedback and I'm happy you enjoyed the course. Really appreciate it. I actually decided to make a standalone version of the 2nd half so that it gets more play and for people that want to give all 3 a go and don't want to do the first part over again. It features improvements to all 3 paths:

Prismatic Paths (21ED-0000-00EF-B55B)
it9xaK0l.jpg

Was awesome then, still awesome now. Its insane to think what went into creating this. You have the mind of an engineer. Hope you get lots of plays out of uploading it standalone, since more people should try it!
I'll leave a plug for my latest level in case anyone wants to give it a go:

6A1C-0000-00EF-2E97

WVW69ilCJXMHkMWlm-

Holy challenging stages Batman! Trax gave me a lot od difficulty at first, but it taught me how to properly navigate Springs in tracks, which speaks great of the design.

Old school has some great koopa hopping sections.

I will say this are hard courses, but the length was perfect to avoid frustration.

Thanks for playing. I found Trax pretty tough to beat and upload but I thought that maybe my skill level was lower than some on here, good to know that maybe it's not. I'm glad the design seemed ok to teach you how to cope with the mechanic.

I'll play yours later on today :)

CrisKre

Thanks for playing. I found Trax pretty tough to beat and upload but I thought that maybe my skill level was lower than some on here, good to know that maybe it's not. I'm glad the design seemed ok to teach you how to cope with the mechanic.

I'll play yours later on today :)

Thats exactly what happened. I was on THE VERGE of being frustrated the first few tries, until trying different things made it click lol. Which sais a lot cause I've been playing World for over 20+ years. Thank you for pushing me to perfect one of its mechanics lol!

Haunted

My first time in this thread (looking for more curated levels from knowledgeable people and not the playerbase at large), and I see a professionally made, custom poster to advertise a user's specific level?

Clearly, this thread is the right place to be. :D

CrisKre

I made a new level, its short and what it says on the tin
Slinky [MEDIUM]
ID: 7F23-0000-00EE-E585
CUCsdrAUEAAhrUh.jpg:large

also wiiu has a new webpage for sharing on twitter/facebook/tumblr pretty sweet
That was grear Sera! Really challenging but great design and layout.

The only thing I wish is you had a checkpoint when you enter the underground section. Died a few more times I'd like to admit there :/

JC Sera

That was grear Sera! Really challenging but great design and layout.

The only thing I wish is you had a checkpoint when you enter the underground section. Died a few more times I'd like to admit there :/
Don't worry same for me
however there is a forgiving mechanic in that part already
the coins at the top of that part are markers for hidden blocks containing incremental powerups
Thanks a lot for playing!

I hope I got the concept of "slinky" across

correojon

Shameless plug before the wall of text of doom:
Biomechanical Tower
E302-0000-00EF-4CDB

WVW69ilGZk0LUOjIKz

Please give me some feedback :)

That was totally awesome and epic correjon! Loved it. The end boss is pretty tough as well, which was fun. You achieved a very distinct look and the whole thing is designed beautifully. Finished with very little time too. Felt like an adventure.
Wow, thanks for the praise! I wanted the last boss to be a bit difficult as you had a chekpoint right before him and for it to incorporate all the mechanics of the level as a final exam. At the same time, I didn´t want it to be so hard that people may give up, so he´s easily cheesable. There are so many things going on that your first instinct will be to jump around like crazy (the Grinders and the Shoe will favor this), but if you take a little time to address the boss, you´ll see that you can easily take the Piranha Plants at the bottom and then everything becomes much simpler.
Thanks for playing!
BTW, I´m adding your new level to my "gameplay record" list ;)

New videos are now live:
Super Mario Maker GAF levels 5-3

Featuring:
  • THE GREAT TOWER (6E97-0000-00E5-3BFD) by Ranger X: Very nice vertical level. It comprises several independent challenges, but the use of the PSwitch sort of relates them, providing a nice mechanic continuity. The challenges are very different between them and nicely balanced, I specially liked the last one with the moving floor, Grinders, spikes and the PSwitch: it seemed really inteimidating but flowed very good and all the elements worked together wonderfully. The checkpoint was a very nice help for the hardest challenge in the level.
    My only (possible) complaint is precisely at the hardest challenge: the only time I managed to get by the firebar unscathed was because I just rushed in and was fortunate enough to avoid it. Is this intentional? I mean, the firebar may be synced so that it allows this.
    Very cool level, liked it a lot.
  • 6:36 Raid Bowser's Floating Fort II (065C-0000-00E5-4D1F) by JRBechard: FANTASTIC level! I started loving it right from the start with the nice looking floating fortress and the "?" block rewarding those who disregarded the evident door and went looking for something more, hinting at the immense number of secrets that were coming later through the level. The whole layout is very nicely done, the challenges are distinct, original and interesting and there are secrets everywhere with nice little puzzles to access them and great rewards. I liked a lot the final boss, such a simple setup to make Bowser work! He takes too many hits to die, but that is to blame of Nintendo. Maybe if I managed to make a Bomb explode next to him he would´ve died earlier, but I didn´t get to try it.
    Absolutely loved it and will be checking you other levels from now on.

Super Mario Maker GAF levels 5-4 Deluxe Jocchan Edition
Featuring:
  • Super Mario Open World v0.1b (FE8B-0000-0087-0E40) by Jocchan: Very cool level, I was intrigued by the "Open World" concept in SMM and how would you make it work: the result was great. So many things to do, secrets and minipuzzles hiding at every step...I almost run out of time exploring everything, I just didn´t want it to end.
    Good work!
  • 9:50 Before & After The Apocalypse v2 (A610-0000-00E6-314B) by Jocchan: Another awesome level, I see why this has been getting so much praise. Dual World level with simple puzzles and great theming, nice challenges, secrets here and there...the Apocalypse world felt really menacing and I loved seeing what everything was like before. The final boss was very original, great use of simple elements to create an engaging and frantic challenge.
  • 18:00 Groundhog Day: The Final Day (F8A6-0000-00E7-5580) by Jocchan: Very cool puzzle, an example of what can be achieved with simple elements and a creative mind. The "main" part of the level felt a bit simple, though it´s understandable as the idea is to make the player repeat it several times, so making it more complex would make it tedious. I was fortunate to understand the puzzle immediately, mostly thanks to the title, but I can imagine how awesome it should be to come in clean and figure it out while playing.
    Cool level with a very original idea.

Pending:
  • Cloudrush Castle (F5D7-0000-00E6-976F) by chrixter
  • Shiveringly Frozen Cold Manor! ( 6A1C-0000-00EF-2E97) by CrisKre
  • Sawblade Walker (C7F1-0000-00E6-01C6) by Dimentios
  • Mining Melancholy (C745 0000 0052 42AA) by Dimentios
  • Heartfelt Dreams 2 (DF14-0000-00E7-908D) by KittenMaster
  • Castles & Koopas (0A36-0000-00D6-7A37) by KittenMaster

CrisKre

Just played your Sawblade walker level and absolutely loved it. It was simple and elegantly designed, looked fantastic, and the complexity of designing it so that you could traverse it at the end with the shoe was brilliant. Kudos!

KooopaKid

Banned
Biomechanical Tower
E302-0000-00EF-4CDB

WVW69ilGZk0LUOjIKz

Very reminiscent of your tree level! Particularly the final stretch.
Just my personal impressions of course, and sorry to be negative but I didn't have fun playing it :

- Again the level is very cramped/too busy
- This crampiness makes the progress very slow and puts the flow of the level to a halt. You can almost never chain two jumps in a row. And it's not like it's a puzzle level.
- The level is repetitive I found, the 1st, 2nd and third floor look very similar with just a few more obstacles here and there AND you're going though the same parts in reverse, activating the same P-switches 3 times.
- If you lose the shoe, it's a pain to climb back up to get another one.
- I had to kill myself at the boss several times because I was small at the end.
- I don't know what was the intended strategy. I killed as much as plants as possible with the fire flower, then lost the shoe in order to climb the vines and then I don't remember how but I managed to still be fire Mario at the top and kill the 2 plants and the big one. But it felt a bit cheap and brute-forcing it.

So, there you go! ^ ^

correojon

Very reminiscent of your tree level! Particularly the final stretch.
Just my personal impressions of course, and sorry to be negative but I didn't have fun playing it :
Oh, sorry to hear that :(

- Again the level is very cramped/too busy
I tried making the left path more open by allowing more movement vertically with the vines, for the right path the "busy" feeling is intended to reflect on machines going on their own no matter if you´re there or not. The main problem for the level being cramped is in it´s reversible nature, I had to use some contraptions in every point of access to make it work, so you could only go in one direction without the powerup and in the other with it. That, and the terrible space limitations when making a vertical level. But I really think the vegetal path is more open.

- This crampiness makes the progress very slow and puts the flow of the level to a halt. You can almost never chain two jumps in a row. And it's not like it's a puzzle level.
Well, it´s not a fast paced level, not all have to be like this. Specially in the mechanical path, which I guess by you later comments is the one you took both upwards to climb and descend the tower, the focus is on timing more than in reflexes.

- The level is repetitive I found, the 1st, 2nd and third floor look very similar with just a few more obstacles here and there AND you're going though the same parts in reverse, activating the same P-switches 3 times.
I tried to make challenges progression in each floor, for example for the mechanical path the main mechanic are Grinders and the secondary are cannons, so it starts with just Grinders, then using cannonballs to advance vertically, then progressively more complex Grinder and cannon layouts...and then a final challenge mixing in mechanis from the vegetal path. For the vegetal path the main mechanis are vines and Piranha Plants, so you start by learning basic movement on vines and later are forced to do other fancy stuff like avoiding fire, killing Plants from below, release the vine to fall...I think you will like the vegetal path more, it´s much more active.

You´re not forced to take the path again in reverse, the intended way is to take the door at the top so you go down through the other side. There is even an arrow that appears as you press the PSwitch next to the door pointing towards it, so I don´t know what more I can do to stress this out. This is very similar to the reversible maze in my previous level, but here there´s no way of getting stuck, instead you have to go down through the same path to reach the central elevator, if you don´t take the door before the PSwitch runs out. And honestly, I think the challenges are different when in reverse with the shoe: some rooms even offer a completely different path not accessible on the way up by jumping on Grinders, while others force you to evade cannonballs and time your runs differently instead of using them to bounce and go up. Same for the vegetal path where having the Fire Flower and moving downwards on vines is completely different from moving upwards. But I can see it becoming repetitive if you start taking hits and have to backtrack to the powerup spawn point time and time again....well it´s that or allowing the player to die and loose all progress so I thought this was much more player-friendly.

- If you lose the shoe, it's a pain to climb back up to get another one.
There are shortcuts in almost every room, didn´t you activate the note blocks to spawn a spring? They cant be missed unless you actively try to. The springs provide fast alternate routes to the powerup spawn locations.

- I had to kill myself at the boss several times because I was small at the end.
Yeah, I couldn´t figure out a way of forcing the use of powerups while having a limited amount of them that didn´t have that side effect. The powerups are not to be used as shields but to use their functionalities and if you die, you loose no progress as there´s a checkpoint in the very same room.

- I don't know what was the intended strategy. I killed as much as plants as possible with the fire flower, then lost the shoe in order to climb the vines and then I don't remember how but I managed to still be fire Mario at the top and kill the 2 plants and the big one. But it felt a bit cheap and brute-forcing it.
You don´t need to loose the shoe, this boss fight uses the same mechanics that have been seen in the level and nothing new, by using them you can beat him without taking a hit. You just have to use the cannonballs to bounce to the higher platforms (like you did several times in the mechanical path) and then you can bounce on the floating Grinder to get a shot at the boss (like you also did in the mechanical path). Only if you take a hit and loose the shoe, you can use the vines to climb and use the mechanics presented in the vegetal path (jumping sideways, up or down from vines and learning the Fire Flower range and aim) to access the boss. The challenge is just to reach that last platform right before the one housing the boss and to do that you just have to use the same things you used through the level several times. The boss is the least dangerous thing in the room, as it´s almost completely surrounded by walls so his fire shots can´t get you unless you walk to it´s face.

I´m not trying to say that you are wrong on anything, just trying to explain that I already took all those things into consideration when designing the level. Maybe I´m too close to it and can´t see some of the mistakes you point out...

Anyway, really BIG thanks for the feedback ;)

JRBechard

correojon said:
6:36 Raid Bowser's Floating Fort II (065C-0000-00E5-4D1F) by JRBechard: FANTASTIC level! I started loving it right from the start with the nice looking floating fortress and the "?" block rewarding those who disregarded the evident door and went looking for something more, hinting at the immense number of secrets that were coming later through the level. The whole layout is very nicely done, the challenges are distinct, original and interesting and there are secrets everywhere with nice little puzzles to access them and great rewards. I liked a lot the final boss, such a simple setup to make Bowser work! He takes too many hits to die, but that is to blame of Nintendo. Maybe if I managed to make a Bomb explode next to him he would´ve died earlier, but I didn´t get to try it.
Absolutely loved it and will be checking you other levels from now on.
Thanks for playing! Glad you liked it! You managed to get 2 of the secrets most people don't get (the star and the fire flowers) that could have been used to make Bowser easier, but I guess you couldn't have known. You also almost got both secret rooms (the big bob ombs door and the clown car pipe) so you played really well! There's also a secret exit to the left of the fire flowers but I don't really expect anyone to find that.

correojon

Thanks for playing! Glad you liked it! You managed to get 2 of the secrets most people don't get (the star and the fire flowers) that could have been used to make Bowser easier, but I guess you couldn't have known. You also almost got both secret rooms (the big bob ombs door and the clown car pipe) so you played really well! There's also a secret exit to the left of the fire flowers but I don't really expect anyone to find that.
I found the solution to the Bombs right as I crossed a point that didn´t allow going back, that was a bit frustrating but I will surely replay this level to find everything. I didn´t take the flowers because I like the cape more and it´s very rare to appear in SMM levels, everyone is afraid of it breaking the level that few people use it. I think I could have gone back to the flowers from the boss fight, but the constant supply of Mushrooms was enough to beat Bowser, though knowing now how many hits it took I would´ve gone back.
Awesome level!

KooopaKid

Banned
Well, it´s not a fast paced level, not all have to be like this. Specially in the mechanical path, which I guess by you later comments is the one you took both upwards to climb and descend the tower, the focus is on timing more than in reflexes.

I first tried right but actually finished it by going left as it was faster/easier. It's never fun to wait for the sawblades to pass. The challenges progression is too slow, for instance, you just added a plant spitting fire between two screens. The problem is also that the layout is identical. Backtracking is always less fun. There's less surprises. I almost didn't finish the level when I lost the shoe because I thought, ok I get it, I need to go back in reverse now, I know the screens already and how they're supposed to play so that's good enough, I can't quit here. But I persisted just for you! :)
Yeah I saw one note block but it's only a shortcut for the upper half. I don't remember seeing a note block at every "floor".

Mael

Super Mario Maker GAF levels 5-2
  • 16:42 Monster's Ice Mountain (9580-0000-00EA-35CB) by Mael: This felt too short and with too many elements. By the time the level felt to start to center around the ice blocks it was already over. There were some confusing parts, like getting through the doors in the wrong order which would get you trapped or force you to backtrack: if you´re going to allow to enter the doors from the end side you should provide a full path.

• You shouldn't be able to use the path you used, I should have prevented that.
    On top of that once you're inside the moving blocks with Kamek you can't really get anywhere but the door.
    The path should be obvious so that's definitely something that needs to change in that level.

Also, is there a way to get under the Grinders to access the hidden vine without taking a hit? I felt like cheesing the level but I couldn´t find another way and it clearly was an intended path. You should make that path accessible without forcing a hit, maybe use some bombs to blow a wall/floor so if the player has kept the Fire Flower until that part he can unlock the way forward.

That's an experiment that went wrong.
    Normally the higher path is the secret passage and the passage under it is the obvious path that you fall back on if you fail before or during the higher passage.
    I tried to make the reverse and it didn't really work.
    On top of that the Grinders were doubled with obstacles to avoid getting rewarded for playing badly.
    The sane idea would have been to allow the player to hit discover the vines and lose the kuribo shoe to trigger the secret passage.
    But the blocks are too high so you HAVE to lose the shoe to even get to the vine

I died twice right next to the Flag Pole: the first time due to an offscreen Grinder which felt incredibly cheap, you should provide more space for that last jump.
    The second was on the higher path, that part felt too tight for being right next to the goal: dying with the goal in sight is very frustrating, you should move that challenge somewhere else. Also, even if you get over the challenge the Donut platform is right next to a Grinder with ice blocks on the other side. Dying there would have been awful, please make that Donut Platform more accessible, maybe just change one ice block for another Donut Platform so the exit is 2 spaces wide and you don´t need to risk it by going right next to the Grinder to fall down.

The ending should have been longer I feel.
    To avoid the issue you raised and I think the lower path is harder than the higher path which doesn't really work.
    On top of that the powerups are not placed correctly, there's something like 5 or 6 places to get them and you didn't encounter them due to the confusing layout :(

I liked that the level rewarded exploration and had different paths to reach the goal. Also, the looping Ice Blocks on tracks near the end was a very nice part, I think you should expand on that idea through all the level.

the level should have been that and only that, that was the whole point but by the time I reached the ice cage with kamek I kinda ran out of enemies to place (moving ice blocks are counted like enemies).

I don't think the level was very good all things considered, it needs proper testing and a total rework of at least half the layout.
    I think I need to tighten the testing and have more people test to check where the frustrating parts are.

Thanks for the feedback, I hope the next levels will be better -_-'

I like making "gimmick" levels. Here's two:

1. Muncher's Munition

WVW69ijSdm44hxdKzw

(DC86-0000-00DD-AE2D)

Munchers love explosions. Action and Puzzle.

2. Cheyney the Cloud Chomp's Castle

WVW69ik77EoZazYP-u

(934D-0000-00ED-EBBA)

Don't let her name and subjects fool you: she's off the chain. Action with light puzzle.

And a level from my little brother. I find it hard to make a level mostly/completely based on solving puzzles, so I was really impressed!

1. A Tribute to the Past

WVW69iixfl0PefZDW2

(5B9E-0000-00D6-E4C0)

The Adventure of Mario. Puzzle.

Shivering frozen cold manor 6a1c 0000 00ef 2e97

I second this, it's an amazing level! Really very well made. Top class through and through.

Mael

Forest Canyon : 33EB-0000-00F0-9216
WVW69ilQ0ts_vm3Mz4

My SO and a friend went to Zion park a few weeks ago, I couldn't so I tried to make a level in a canyon in the middle of a forest.
There's 2 main paths mostly, this is like the example of why the update was so great with the checkpoints.
Without them, the level was a long slog where it should be easier to avoid player frustration if he had to redo everything from scratch.
It's really better than the last few experiments.
There's a surprise I'd really like a screenshot from you guys.

just a question though, how do you design a boss fight that's not easily skippable or isn't way too long for it's own good.
I mean Giga bowser is nice and all but dear god is he a bullet sponge!

KooopaKid

Banned
I like making "gimmick" levels. Here's two:

1. Muncher's Munition

WVW69ijSdm44hxdKzw

(DC86-0000-00DD-AE2D)

Munchers love explosions. Action and Puzzle.

Cool at first, then it got a bit complicated with the super fast scrolling section, and then you arrive at the platform moving left and right with big bob-ombs spawning on it, I died countless times here, I managed to pass it once just to die in the next screen so I quit ^ ^

2. Cheyney the Cloud Chomp's Castle

WVW69ik77EoZazYP-u

(934D-0000-00ED-EBBA)

My latest level has a similar gimmick (Bouncing on cannonballs), give it a try.
I thought no checkpoint after that first section was unfair as the following part is unforgiving given the spike floor and the randomness of chain chomps.

1. A Tribute to the Past

WVW69iixfl0PefZDW2

(5B9E-0000-00D6-E4C0)

Good puzzles but the bob-ombs with the big muncher to destroy the blocks is a pain here again :(

Reposting my latest 2 levels if you want to try them and give feedback:

Planet 2-1:
Code: 8C82-0000-00D8-5AD8
Planet 2-2:
Code: BF46-0000-00E6-1C99

correojon

(...)
I don't think the level was very good all things considered, it needs proper testing and a total rework of at least half the layout.
I think I need to tighten the testing and have more people test to check where the frustrating parts are.

Thanks for the feedback, I hope the next levels will be better -_-'
Don´t be too hard on yourself, it´s not as bad as you´re making it out to be! There were some interesting ideas! I think the major flaws are the layout being confusing and the lack of a central mechanic, but having 2 different paths was a great idea and the ice blocks on looping tracks was fun too. Just rework the level around those things and I´m sure it´ll end up being something cool.
To make 2 paths and avoid the problems of the player "breaking" the level and going where he´s not supposed to you can start by making the paths really linear and enclosed by solid blocks so there´s no way out. Then start adding openings to the secondary path just where you want them to be and removing the corresponding solid blocks. If you want a more "open" design, you can then remove the remaining solid blocks gradually and alter the layout accordingly to block access to the secondary path in any undesired place. I think this approach helps a lot when making levels with multiple paths.

I first tried right but actually finished it by going left as it was faster/easier. It's never fun to wait for the sawblades to pass. The challenges progression is too slow, for instance, you just added a plant spitting fire between two screens. The problem is also that the layout is identical. Backtracking is always less fun. There's less surprises. I almost didn't finish the level when I lost the shoe because I thought, ok I get it, I need to go back in reverse now, I know the screens already and how they're supposed to play so that's good enough, I can't quit here. But I persisted just for you! :)
Well, the mechanical path is about timing, so waiting is an implicit part of that. I don´t really see a problem there, it´s just a different playstyle. Besides, if you run you can get through all challenges without having to wait for the Grinders, I placed the Grinders with that in mind for successive attempts.
I think I understand what you mean with "the layout is identical", it´s a consequence of the little space available I had. I´ll look into ways of spicing it up, good point!
When you say I only added a Fire Piranha Plant, do you mean in the mechanical path? If so, there are 2 in fact, the first one is to teach the player the range of the Piranha Plant (the coins mark the spot where you´ll be safe, even right in front of it). It also serves the purpose of teaching the player that the Kuribo Shoe can kill them if he takes this path on the inverse direction and didn´t know it already or didn´t discover it with the other plant.
The upper challenge forces you first to go under a Grinder timing your run against a cannon shooting at you directly, a new challenge that hasn´t appeared before. Then, you have to go over the Grinder, timing your jumps to go along a cannon and evade the second Piranha plant (you´ll have to time your jumps with it´s fire too), to then use the cannonball to bounce upwards. I mean, all these challenges are different from the ones in the previous rooms, even if they use the same elements. A single Piranha Plant and the cannon and Grinder locations change the challenges completely, I see no need to add any new elements. On the way back the challenge is much easier: you start at an advantage point against the Fire Piranha and have the Kuribo Shoe, you don´t need to preserve the cannon ball, the other cannon shoots in the same direction...this is desired as this are the first challenges once you get the Kuribo Shoe, so I wanted to ease the player into the recently acquired powerup, specially as the Kuribo Shoes changes even the way Mario walks.

Thanks for enduring the pain of playing it ´till the end XD

The remaining videos are live!

Super Mario Maker GAF levels 5-5
  • Cloudrush Castle (F5D7-0000-00E6-976F) by chrixter: Very funny and intense level! Great use of mechanics, steadily increasing the challenge complexity at a nice pace. Good use of checkpoints, this level without them would have been incredibly frustrating, even if I don´t think I died much they provided very needed stress relief moments. The part with Bowser Jr. looked insane, but was in fact very achievable and funny, great way to spike the tension. Overall it felt like a very intense and frantic level, with engaging and fair challenges. I had a blast with it, great work!
  • 4:12 Shiveringly Frozen Cold Manor! ( 6A1C-0000-00EF-2E97) by CrisKre: This level has the "CrisKre seal": high quality, lots of secrets, twisted layout, good theming and clever challenges. I think you were going for a Metroidvania feel in this one, but I really didn´t see it when compared to your other levels. Maybe it´s because I took the alternate route right from the start (awesome way to put to use a star right from the very beginning of the level), or because I usually play your levels following the "secret" route, which are always small Metroidvanias on their own in that each new powerUp provides access to the next one.
    Awesome level as always.

Super Mario Maker GAF levels 5-6 Deluxe Dimentios Edition
  • Sawblade Walker (C7F1-0000-00E6-01C6) by Dimentios: I already gave feedback on this one, so I´ll just say that I don´t know what happened because I suddenly started sucking and it took me many tries to beat the level, while I beat it on my first try originally when I did the review...and even thought that it was easy and impossible to die once you got the Kuribo Shoe, which is something I prove wrong in the video :p So many stupid deaths lol
  • 7:12 Mining Melancholy (C745 0000 0052 42AA) by Dimentios: My incompetence carried over from Sawblade Walker and I couldn´t even finish this one. I got next to the goal once, but tried an impossible jump and died. I don´t know if that jump can be made, but if it´s not possible you should make it clearer, dying there was incredibly frustrating.
    This level would inmensely benefit from checkpoints, you shoudl seriously consider including them, almost all jumps are over a bottomless pit and the level is a bit on the long side, so any minor mistake will throw all progress out of the window.
    That said, the level was very, very good. Minimalistic design by changing the challenges by altering the core-most elements (platform distance, height, width...), adding simple elements (vines and moving platforms) to spice things up a little here and there and, most of all, extremely tight design. The level loops onto itself more than once, you can see platforms and places to go that are just out of reach by a pixel, but that later become accessible. This happens many times through the level demonstrating the degree of expertise Dimentios has over basic level design and elevating it beyond that.
    The theming was really cool, with some simple elements (a costume, empty tracks, vines and platforms) you totally get the impression of visiting an abandoned level of DKC. The music and theme help a lot with this too. All of them are simple elements but work together perfectly, making the total much more than the sum of the individual parts.
    You are one of the very few who use all the range of Mario´s jump instead of always designing with the longer/higher jump on mind and this makes your levels really interesting, where they would be really repetitive if only the high jump was used. Even the player interaction with the level is stripped to the most basic concepts and exploded beautifully.
    A masterclass in minimalistic design, outstanding job!

Super Mario Maker GAF levels 5-7 Deluxe KittenMaster Edition
  • Heartfelt Dreams 2 (DF14-0000-00E7-908D) by KittenMaster: This looked insane at the start, but was in fact more manageable than it seemed. Always a bit short, I didn´t expect the goal to be where it was, but it´s nice for a burst of adrenaline. The only thing I didn´t like was that the pipe threw you on the Boos, I don´t know if there´s a chance to avoid them and that hit felt cheap and unfair.
    Apart from that minor incident, really fun level.
  • 7:34 Castles & Koopas (Checkpoint ver) (0A36-0000-00D6-7A37) by KittenMaster: You know what? I finally beat it! And without using the checkpoint and the Fire Flower! After sucking so much at Dimentio´s levels I thought this was going to roll over me, but I didn´t find it as difficult or frustrating as when I played the original version.
    I still don´t like the respawning enemies every time you go through a door and the grounded Boos caused a lot of cheap hits. The initial firebars in the outer area should be advertised as well.
    I tried doing the Bowser Jr. fight until I took a few hits and just rushed to the goal. I don´t know if you´ve changed anything in this part (I remember Fire Flowers being above as well, but might be misremembering things), but all the final stretch felt more manageable.

The only thing I didn´t like was that the pipe threw you on the Boos, I don´t know if there´s a chance to avoid them and that hit felt cheap and unfair.
It was designed so that you weave through them as you free fall, and the coins mark your safe path. The idea is that you go through it carefully the first time with the solidified platforms, and you have to react the second time.

I still don´t like the respawning enemies every time you go through a door
That's kind of intended. The whole point of the door is to respawn the Thwomp you need to progress if you accidentally killed it.

I tried doing the Bowser Jr. fight until I took a few hits and just rushed to the goal.
Well, you weren't supposed to fight them to begin with. I make a point not to force boss fights like most levels do, I simply treated them like any other enemy.

I don´t know if you´ve changed anything in this part (I remember Fire Flowers being above as well, but might be misremembering things)
I removed one enemy, but mostly because the checkpoint introduced a scenario where you have to do that section with just a Super Mushroom.

EDIT: Finally watched the vid. A little disappointed that the spring mechanics weren't figured out (since it's so much fun), but I made sure the level could be beaten without them so that's fine. Thank you for checking out my levels.

Top Bottom