• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

I hope the trend of difficult levels moves more towards actually challenging as opposed to just deceptive. One takes actual thought and effort, the other is just lazy.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Also, how long does it take for the "early delivery" of new items? I played for a while earlier and got the new stuff tomorrow message. Been playing for a while and haven't gotten anything yet.

It seems to be about the number of items you place. So just place a lot of random stuff if you want to hurry this up a little.

lol, the highest rated course right now is called "Don't Press Anything". Sounds, uh, fun.

I hope the trend of difficult levels moves more towards actually challenging as opposed to just deceptive. One takes actual thought and effort, the other is just lazy.

The fact that it takes actual thought is why the trend won't ever change. :p

AdanVC

Just came back from the store. My pixel body is ready:

nch2ufnhs6pl8.jpg

I also got this hat as a freebie hah:

akeypav4mso8a.jpg

Looot's of people buying SMM at the store. It was so nice to see :')

Kinsei

Banned
I tried to make a level around the same difficulty as one you might see in late world 1/early world 2. It's really hard to make an easy level and still have it be interesting, and I'm not sure I succeeded.

Elevators to the Stratosphere
1363-0000-0017-8841

Kouriozan

Time for two new courses.
Still a level design newbie so taking some inspiration.

Petit château : 872B-0000-0013-B265
Don't miss the door! : 962F-0000-0017-A264

Edit : edited the second one to make it a bit more forgiving.

Unlocked everything and got the hang of how stuff works now. Here's a vastly improved course over my previous two. There are 5 hidden 1-up mushrooms, a costume, and 2 sub-areas and a secret exit to find! Give it a shot and give me feedback and see if you can find all the hidden stuff!

61FC-0000-0017-9B25

Played around 8 hours today... Think I'm going to call it a day.

Made 2 levels.

Take me with you
Take a red shell with you and you'll be fine.
1EC9-0000-0015-5CD0

Jumping bullet
Simple and short platformer. Involves some gaps, bullet bills and moving platforms.
A7D8-0000-0017-6C85

Feedback is much appreciated.
Still got the basic toolbox too (row 1 and 2).

Still at work but I got the game during my lunch break...what is the process to bypass the 9 day waiting period to unlock everything?

Make stuff. It will let you know that the next set will be delivered the next day, but if you keep playing and placing objects in the editor it will shortly let you know that the new item set arrived early.

bounchfx

ive been creating for at least an hour now, and it said the first new shipment would be tomorrow. what happened to the 'every 5 minutes of creating you get new stuff' people were talking about? do I need to restart the game?

otherwise, loving the game so far. there's plenty of tools to start with to make a great level. it's a fun challenge, and the tools are fucking so swift and smooth. it's a joy to do about anything.

that being said, I do wish there were checkpoints and the item storage in the SMW paintjob. They have wall jumping and stomps for NSMB so I'm not sure why they arent carrying over traits from the others. either way, awesome.

edit: is there any way to just make one coin pop up out of a ? block? right now it's annoying that it only seems to be 10

Placktor

Here are the first two levels I have made.
48sgMJI.jpg

i6U6ozu.jpg

They both have low completion rates so maybe I made them too hard. I don't think so.

Both of them have multiple pathways and secrets :O

I had to take a break from playing...because my batteries died in my remote and I'm too far from the TV to use the cord. First world problems...

Soul Lab

Here are the first two levels I have made.

They both have low completion rates so maybe I made them too hard. I don't think so.

My lvls have also low completion rates. Too many casuals online :p
Stick with the difficulty. We need those. Gonna try them now.

TheJoRu

Don't know if it's already been mentioned before, but André Segers' (aka Gamexplain) Super Meat Boy-level is worth a try...and then another...and then another...and then another, until you complete it. Hard and amazingly accurate to the feel and design of Super Meat Boy.

BA34-0000-0015-F84C

VandalD

Wow. Only 3% completion rate on my latest course. It's not that hard. Someone beat this damn thing!

WVW69iX7jNYLHUmeW9

Non-canon Cannon Ship
0031-0000-0016-9AC4

I tried to make a level around the same difficulty as one you might see in late world 1/early world 2. It's really hard to make an easy level and still have it be interesting, and I'm not sure I succeeded.

Elevators to the Stratosphere
1363-0000-0017-8841
I like the secret one-ups, and the one that requires you to still have the wing cap at the end. I'm not sure this would be an "easy" level. The Bowser Jr.s are what put it higher IMO. If they didn't stun when they broke through the blocks, that might bring it back down. Still, I enjoyed the level.
Course I put together really quick before I had ro run some errands. I wish I had more stuff from the start.

Castle in the Sky:D997-0000-0017-51A8
All around solid level. Good use of the starter stuff.
Any takers? I promise it doesn't suck. I spent time on it and stuff.

038C-0000-0015-AB77
Nice use of falling platforms. Took me two tries since on my first go I jumped on a platform to avoid a fireball and I couldn't catch up to it while it was falling. Oops.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No way to set a range on the boos? I only want them to activate when I get close, otherwise they wander across the entire map and mess things up

Kinsei

Banned
Unlocked everything and got the hang of how stuff works now. Here's a vastly improved course over my previous two. There are 5 hidden 1-up mushrooms, a costume, and 2 sub-areas and a secret exit to find! Give it a shot and give me feedback and see if you can find all the hidden stuff!

61FC-0000-0017-9B25

That's a fun level. I managed to find4 of the 1-ups, the costume, and both sub-areas.

Just a heads up, if you go into the first sub-area with the shoe it's possible to go out of bounds.

edit: is there any way to just make one coin pop up out of a ? block? right now it's annoying that it only seems to be 10

Unless I'm reading it wrong, just place the question mark block. It already comes with one coin. And as for unlocking more stuff, as mentioned above, just place every block you have available.

thefro

Game arrived today. Played it for a bit.

Pretty impressed at the quality of the user-created levels already. The stuff with the high star counts is already very good.

Even a few of the random courses I tried had their moments. One boss stage that a person from Italy made was excellent (but had no plays yet), so I gave him his first star.

The level creator is fun to use and play around with. Looking forward to digging in deep into making levels once I get back from my trip this weekend.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So how can I speed up getting new stuff? Just use the old stuff in levels?

Use all of each new item at least once - just throw one down into the level. Check you have selected a new theme or background if they unlocked (basically anything wih an !).nthen just play around in the creator for a couple of minutes and you should get a notice that a delivery will come soon. Once that message appears, just switch to a background block and draw all over the level to place as many blocks as possible - place enough blocks and that will bring the delivery quickly. Can just take a couple of minutes - I just scrolled left/right with the left stick while swiping up and down.

So, is there a way to pull up the amiibo menu, or am I going to have to tap my amiibo to the gamepad any time I want to pull up a costume?

Should be able to tap on the mystery mushroom and it'll bring up the list of unlocked costumes so you can pick one.

Amalthea

Banned
The game makes me feel weird for wanting to replicate the flow and intricate level design of a real Mario game (not that I succeed).

Most user created stages seem like throwing just a ton of enemies and traps at you.

The game makes me feel weird for wanting to replicate the flow and intricate level design of a real Mario game (not that I succeed).

Most user created stages seem like throwing just a ton of enemies and traps at you.

I feel the same way.
Am way more interested to create classic Mario levels which make sense instead of crazy ones.

Yeah, I think it is going to take a while before people get the flow down. Most of the stuff I'm making right now is just time killing so I can unlock the other stuff that I really want to use.

That's a fun level. I managed to find4 of the 1-ups, the costume, and both sub-areas.

Just a heads up, if you go into the first sub-area with the shoe it's possible to go out of bounds.

Thanks! Think I'm finally getting used to making coherent levels, my last few attempts were a bit scatter-brained. Although funnily enough, my most inconsistent level has the most stars and comments..

CA6A-0000-0012-5233

Haven't seen any pictures of the players who commented hit the top of the flagpole yet!

I'm not worried about the user levels right now - it's early, they are necessarily going to be shit. I expect they will only get better from here, as people really start thinking/refining/understanding.

Saw this in featured, one of the meatier and more satisfying levels I've seen so far in terms of variety and layout.

E2E6 0000 0012 D394
That's crazy! It goes so many ways it's interesting.

I present to you guys my first ever water level:

"Do not go gentle into the deep"
EF76 0000 0017 DB80

let me know what you guys think. Of that one and all my levels so far.

Man, I really hope I didn't make my course too hard.

I wanted it to be frustrating, but also rewarding for patience, timing, and skill.
And get you angry enough to to make you want to beat it with some tricks I pulled, hence the AVGN reference, lol.

No one has completed it yet though. So I think I'll make things a little bit easier.

MrPanic

So is there some optimized way to unlock all the items fast? This starter palet really doesn't give enough for me to get creative.

Man, I really hope I didn't make my course too hard.

I wanted it to be frustrating, but also rewarding for patience, timing, and skill.
And k get you angry with some tricks I pulled, hence the AVGN reference, lol.

No one has completed it yet though. So I think I'll make things a little bit easier.
What's the code, I'll try to finish it.

Top Bottom