• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Placktor

I feel like all the low completion rates are because people die really far into a level and then don't wanna play the beginning again. This game really needs checkpoints.

Teppic

Got the game today!

Here's my first level:

Green Plains 1-1 (Mario 3)
97DC-0000-0017-D718

Pretty easy level with a few secret areas.

Just came back from the store. My pixel body is ready:

nch2ufnhs6pl8.jpg

I also got this hat as a freebie hah:

akeypav4mso8a.jpg

Looot's of people buying SMM at the store. It was so nice to see :')

What store?

Xenoboy

How does the game decide if a stage is easy or normal? The highest ranked stage in normal has a clear rate of 54.17%, but the 2nd highest ranked stage in easy has 56%.

Roo

Thanks! Think I'm finally getting used to making coherent levels, my last few attempts were a bit scatter-brained. Although funnily enough, my most inconsistent level has the most stars and comments..

CA6A-0000-0012-5233

Haven't seen any pictures of the players who commented hit the top of the flagpole yet!

I couldn't make it to the end. The part where you need the wall of bullet bill to go up there made me rage quit haha

McNum

Those death heatmaps are pretty neat. Looking at my mini-castle level, there's a lot of Xs around Bowser, which makes sense, a few in the Bullet Bill area, one in the lava near the beginning... and then one on a completely safe platform with no way of getting hurt there at all.

Gotta admit, people are creative on how they get Mario killed sometimes. I really want ghost data for some of those.

Hylian7

I paid extra for guaranteed release date delivery from Amazon. Tracking now says it will be delivered Monday. WHAT THE FUCK.

I called Amazon about it, they're refunding me the shipping and contacting UPS about what the fuck happened.

Gears

Aw, I wish I got the hat. A friend nabbed me a pixel mario though, so Im fairly happy anyway :)

Very smooth game too. I may actually create stuff, as theyve made it super simple. Love it

bounchfx

alright, did a short and sweet one to learn it. it's fairly easy I think but can punish you if you mess up at all AAA5-0000-0017-FB2B

these tools are so fun to use. can't wait to have more items to place

Sölf

Alright, tried something akin to a normal level. Longer then the very first, but still not hard. Feedback appriciated!

First level (short normal level with a small challenge):
2EA4-0000-0016-D722

The new one:
3223-0000-0017-D480

Nintenleo

I hope you enjoy my level, I think it's a pretty good and funny concept. It's not really hard, but there are nice ideas in there. It's a level I thought about since NWC 2015's finals.

4780-0000-0017-661D

Put a star on it if you like it, it would make me really happy!

Leo

Robin64

Wow. Only 3% completion rate on my latest course. It's not that hard. Someone beat this damn thing!

I did beat it, but I would say the level is hard. It's really long, for one thing, which is harsh with no checkpoints in SMM. And then you have a hell of a lot of bullets going on, of both types. When 1-1 clones are getting 60% pass rate, it doesn't surprise me that Non-canon Cannon Ship is getting 3%.

Edit: The shortcut is excellent, I love that idea.

Don't know if it's already been mentioned before, but André Segers' (aka Gamexplain) Super Meat Boy-level is worth a try...and then another...and then another...and then another, until you complete it. Hard and amazingly accurate to the feel and design of Super Meat Boy.

BA34-0000-0015-F84C

Ooh I wanted to try that ever since he posted the original version! Thanks for posting

daydream

Banned
I tried to make a level around the same difficulty as one you might see in late world 1/early world 2. It's really hard to make an easy level and still have it be interesting, and I'm not sure I succeeded.

Elevators to the Stratosphere
1363-0000-0017-8841

i think you did succeed, the level definitely provides some amount of challenge but not too much (as evidenced by the fact that i somehow made it through while staying small from start to finish). the end part with bowser jr. was very creative and pretty tense! my only minor quibble would involve the middle part. while i saw that there was another path in the level, my first instinct was to just keep going forward. i feel like it is a bit confusing, design-wise, in that instance, since the other path felt out of place. not sure if that makes sense, haha, but it's about being overwhelmed with options but not really in a way that makes it necessary to consider them deeply so you're just left wondering what you left behind and it feels like a superfluous part of the level, if you get what i mean. anyway, another good one!

Durden77

ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGG

I got to the LAST level on the expert 100 Mario challenge and failed....

There were a few bullshit levels in there that just sucked my lives away. The last one being one of them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So is there some optimized way to unlock all the items fast? This starter palet really doesn't give enough for me to get creative.

What's the code, I'll try to finish it.

Use all of each new item at least once - just throw one down into the level. Check you have selected a new theme or background if they unlocked (basically anything wih an !).nthen just play around in the creator for a couple of minutes and you should get a notice that a delivery will come soon. Once that message appears, just switch to a background block and draw all over the level to place as many blocks as possible - place enough blocks and that will bring the delivery quickly. Can just take a couple of minutes - I just scrolled left/right with the left stick while swiping up and down.

Mazre

Man, I really hope I didn't make my course too hard.

I wanted it to be frustrating, but also rewarding for patience, timing, and skill.
And get you angry enough to to make you want to beat it with some tricks I pulled, hence the AVGN reference, lol.

No one has completed it yet though. So I think I'll make things a little bit easier.

WOOT, done, course was evil. Managed to finally get on top of the second set of fire wheels and then baited lakitu and flew to the end. Previous closest attempt I died right after climbing the pipe before the spikes.

Kinsei

Banned
i think you did succeed, the level definitely provides some amount of challenge but not too much (as evidenced by the fact that i somehow made it through while staying small from start to finish). the end part with bowser jr. was very creative and pretty tense! my only minor quibble would involve the middle part. while i saw that there was another path in the level, my first instinct was to just keep going forward. i feel like it is a bit confusing, design-wise, in that instance, since the other path felt out of place. not sure if that makes sense, haha. anyway, another good one!

It's not meant to be another path, it's meant to be a bonus room like in DKC. I used the ones from levels like Vulture Culture and Millstone Mayhem as inspiration. I can see how it can seem out of place though so I'll work on my bonus placement.

Hylian7

I paid extra for guaranteed release date delivery from Amazon. Tracking now says it will be delivered Monday. WHAT THE FUCK.

I called Amazon about it, they're refunding me the shipping and contacting UPS about what the fuck happened.

Amazon contacted UPS. UPS fucked up and said something about scan issues in the terminal or something. They said it would be here by Monday.

Amazon guy was very helpful and processed the shipping refund, and he contacted UPS.

Still sucks as I was planning to play it a ton this weekend.

VandalD

People just get intimidated by cannonballs :p
Yeah, I guess so. Hey, at least I didn't go crazy with the red ones. Thanks for playing!
I did beat it, but I would say the level is hard. It's really long, for one thing, which is harsh with no checkpoints in SMM. And then you have a hell of a lot of bullets going on, of both types. When 1-1 clones are getting 60% pass rate, it doesn't surprise me that Non-canon Cannon Ship is getting 3%.

Edit: The shortcut is excellent, I love that idea.
It doesn't feel long to me, but that's likely because I know all three shortcuts. It is hard to make cannons threatening without overdoing it, so maybe I did. Maybe I should have made the shortcuts and hidden powerups a bit less hidden. Thanks for playing and giving your opinion!

fernoca

Amazon contacted UPS. UPS fucked up and said something about scan issues in the terminal or something. They said it would be here by Monday.

Amazon guy was very helpful and processed the shipping refund, and he contacted UPS.

Still sucks as I was planning to play it a ton this weekend.
You could buy it today, then return Amazon's sealed copy to the retailer. :p

demonkaze

Just finished my second course, it's a lot shorter and might be a bit too brutal for the wall jumps at the end if you have trouble with them, let me know.

ID: 9F80-0000-0018-0E0F

WOOT, done, course was evil. Managed to finally get on top of the second set of fire wheels and then baited lakitu and flew to the end. Previous closest attempt I died right after climbing the pipe before the spikes.

Awesome job! It took me practically 30 tries to beat it myself, so I was beginning to think I went overboard, haha.

Teknoman

Yeah, I guess so. Hey, at least I didn't go crazy with the red ones. Thanks for playing!

It doesn't feel long to me, but that's likely because I know all three shortcuts. It is hard to make cannons threatening without overdoing it, so maybe I did. Maybe I should have made the shortcuts and hidden powerups a bit less hidden. Thanks for playing and giving your opinion!

Yeah its challenging, but not unfairly challenging. Felt kinda like something form World 7 or 8 in SMB3.

daydream

Banned
rewrote the part of the faq dealing with unlock tools to make it as concise and practical as possible. nobody was reading the op anymore after we hit page 2 but hey, maybe somebody gets lost and ends up there with that question in mind!

It's not meant to be another path, it's meant to be a bonus room like in DKC. I used the ones from levels like Vulture Culture and Millstone Mayhem as inspiration. I can see how it can seem out of place though so I'll work on my bonus placement.

oh, gotcha. yeah, i think you could definitely improve what is an already good level and make it great!

Are we gonna have an index of gaffer levels?

imo, it's way easier to just put in one code for a level gaffer xy made, follow him, and then you'll always have an index of that user's levels right there, in the game, easily accessible

massoluk

Banned
Is there a way to make Kuribo stays on a platform and not walk off the cliff toward certain death without blocking it. I don't want to use turtle..

.Anema

I just uploaded my first level haha, the game is very funny!!
DCF9-0000-0018-2C96 if you want to try :D
Now I want the Super Mario World skin!!

Thud

Mixed some ideas in this one. Kinda a troll, but I hope at least one person besides me can clear it :)

Dawn Of The First Day

WVW69iX7sBgGzMhYUF

ID: 4076-0000-0016-AD0D

Top Bottom