• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

CrisKre

New level!

The third chapter of Old School Super Mario has been published today: Old School Super Mario (Outpost) - EF0D-0000-00F9-5128

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Outpost%2529.png

The concept of Old School Super Mario is to translate the logic, visual style and gameplay mechanics of the original Super Mario Bros. game to Super Mario Maker despite the huge differences in physics, scrolling management, "rebound on enemies" mechanics, etc. Like the previous two levels, Old School Super Mario (Outpost) "fuses" together different level archetypes from the original game to create a new "classic level". Here, the levels I took inspiration from are from the end of the game, 8-3 in particular (but not only). Again, like in the previous levels, emphasis has been put on player improvisation and the possibility to try different play styles: whereas most Super Mario Maker levels are about following one precise solution, my levels try to keep with the Nintendo "playground" tradition. No checkpoint (none needed). Progressive powerups like in the original game.

The sequel and final chapter of the series (a castle, obviously) has parts of it designed already, but I'll wait for feedback on the "Outpost" level to be sure I won't have to edit it before publishing the sequel.

Previous chapters:

You can check my other levels in:

- My (French) blog
- Nintendo Life
- MarioMakerHub

----

As said on Miiverse, absolutely superb, but you knew that already, otherwise you wouldn't have bothered making a beautiful custom poster about it.

It looks awesome, and your ability to create universes astonishes me. The clock part is genius: the way Chomps are sometimes used as pendulum, sometimes as mad cuckoos is brilliant, it all works beautifully and naturally and never feels forced. The gameplay is likewise very natural, like a Castlevania game but better (I never was too much into Castlevania). Bravo.

Wow. Do you make those awesome posters just for the levels, or are you using already made art?

Thank you emmanuel! Oh no! I didn't make the art for the posters, i just used some art I liked and put together a poster with my info in it!

Ill play your new level later when i get home!

vikki

I think you should update your posts when you update your level and its code :p this is the second time I try your code/level, and the code is obsolete.

Sorry about the messed up codes. I fixed my incorrect and deleted codes. I won't be updating that level again so I need to make sure to get the code right.

PSA: I´ll be recording some gameplay today, if you want in quote the list and add your level at the end:
  • Junior's Coup D'état (B8F8-0000-00F6-E173) by vikki (I think this is the latest version)
  • Forest Canyon (33EB-0000-00F0-9216) by Mael

Sorry Correojon, I had even the latest code wrong. Please forgive me.

B8F4-0000-00F6-E173

I've corrected my codes

Very nice and relaxing level indeed! Only thing is, I died because of an invisible block around the vine (tried to avoid fire bullets from Piranha Plants). Not a serious issue, though.

Glad you liked it :) Its an old level but its prob my fav one I made (besides maybe my new ice level)

I still don't understand why the NSMB style is NSMBU yet they chose NSMBW's inferior/uninteresting propeller powerup instead of the best Mario powerup ever, NSMBU's squirrel suit. All the levels that could have been...

I have no idea, seems like a major fail on their part but I suppose they felt they needed a unique flight power up? I dunno/

On a positive note I have a new computer so I can actually start posting good feedback again :D

jholmes

Heck, I'm game for seeing my level played.

PSA: I´ll be recording some gameplay today, if you want in quote the list and add your level at the end:
Junior's Coup D'état (B8F8-0000-00F6-E173) by vikki (I think this is the latest version)
Forest Canyon (33EB-0000-00F0-9216) by Mael
Ruins of the thousand flames! (7167-0000-00F9-844B) by Criskre
Waving at Others (5018-0000-00F7-6DBE)
Arino's Familiar Challenge (1F1F-0000-00D8-249D) by jholmes

I hope I did that right!

CrisKre

Feedback time!

Winter Breeze - (DF5F-0000-00F2-C68F)

This level is very easy, so less experienced players might enjoy it more than a lot of my other levels.

Very short and easy romp, nice winter theme (i have a winter level as well if you wanna give it a go: 69B1 0000 00E7 B91F)

Could almost be a 1-1 level, except you have some enemies with patterns that are too random (winged wigglers). I think less experienced players should really enjoy it!

Ice Bridge To Eternity
C01F-0000-0059-2F20

Another winter level, easy with a great layout! Liked it a lot, very focused.

New level!

The third chapter of Old School Super Mario

Loved this level. You are really really capturig the feel of the original superbly. If someone told me this was part of a lost levels compilation Id completely believe it. Kudos! Perfect length, perfect difficulty and really relly true to what a 6-1 in an alternate SMB would be. Cant wait for the castle stage! I secretly hope you'd make more so that we have a full Emmanuel SMB game though ;)

Edit:
Level: Buzzy Beetle Bounding
Code: BF9A-0000-00F8-834D
Difficulty: 3.5/5 (really this time)

I have some mixed emotions here. Firstly. Your level is HARD! you must be a superb player, because if this is the toned down version then the first must have been insane.
I really liked that you give players two ways to go at the level. I also think you did great with the concept you chose. And therein lies my issues with the level. The concept you chose is a bit unreliable. I think it would have worked better with mushroom-grown beetles. As it is its a bit frustrating. Also, because the level requires a ton of precission, some elements are too unforgiving ( like note blocks wich, again, are somewhat unreliable). Lastly, the last thing i wanted was a feather after the checkpoint. It messes up my precission jumping.
I don't want to sound too hard because the level had some great things going for it, few levels I played made me so tense. Especially when a gazillion bullets are flying every wich way. Thats a good thing and im sure super proficient players (which im assuming you are one of) might have a much more possitive impression, but for me i felt maybe it was a little bit out of my league. I wish it was a bit more forgiving too keep me going and hooked.

Ok, ill plug in my latest level since Id love a few more plays:

RUINS.jpg

Ruins of the thousand flames!

7167-0000-00F9-844B

correojon

Recently I´ve been doing too complex layouts, so I wanted to make something simpler. I still ended up running out of enemies and blocks in both subworlds lol:
To Spin or Not to Spin: E948-0000-00F9-B79E
WVW69imQ3NI3vsuzXd

This is a level revolving around Spinies and Spin Jumps with Music Blocks as the secondary mechanic. The main path is easy and linear, however there are A LOT of secrets paths hidden eveywhere with cool rewards that change how the level plays:
  • Normal and Spiky Helmets
  • 1 Ups
  • Feathers
  • Yoshis
  • A Bonus Room
  • A fight against Bowser Jr
The secret paths provide a challenge more fitting for expert players while keeping the focus on the main mechanics of the level, but using the acquired powerups to add a nice twist to the challenges.
Please, play and give feedback! I´ve enjoyed a lot making and testing this level and it can be replayed 3 or 4 times discovering new things every time!

You should really try to make levels that are more straightforward, because I spent my time wondering if I was heading the right way or not, and wondering if I was stuck or not.

I made it to the first checkpoint, confused if I was heading the right way or not, then wondered if I got stuck (at the place where I left a Miiverse message, feel free to delete it since I now know I wasn't). Then, while fiddling, I got to the spike/P-switch thing that confused me before, and got back that way, wondering if I was supposed to do that, until a passage with grinders was so tight I lost my boot. Then, without my boot I was basically screwed, so I committed suicide, tried again, lost my boot at the exact same spot, and gave up.
You were not screwed after loosing the boot, you can easily get back to the room entrance and get it back without dying.

I'm afraid I sort of agree with KooopaKid. Also, the sequences are so similar you wonder if you're looping.

The thing is, all this feels unnecessary. The challenge while climbing is fine, but going back doesn't feel natural and doesn't bring much to the level. Why do you absolutely want to put a "clever" spin on what would be a perfectly good challenge without those circumvolutions? I mean, Dimentios/Gilder has levels which have you revisit earlier parts with a new spin, making you say: "aaaah, that's clever", but you're not confused during the main part, and the second part feels also straightforward and natural, it's just a bonus. Here, the level would be much better IMO without the "going back" part.
Going down is only part of the "spin" and not even the main one: reaching the tower entrance, getting in the elevator and traversing the whole level through the middle of both paths, watching everything you have conquered while you effortlessly make your way to the top for the boss fight is. Also, the level being reversible and allowing the player to choose which way to go through the tower. It´s the same as the reversible corridor in my Fire-Spikey Cave level, but this time in vertical instead of horizontal and spawning several rooms. And also, climbing while watching the other inaccessible path, only to reach the top and get to traverse it in the opposite direction I think is pretty cool, but this fails if the player chooses not to enter the door before the PSwitch runs out.

I think the main problem is allowing people to go down the same path they went up, but I couldn´t find a way to force the players into the door, so they had to get to the other side of the tower, that didn´t open the possibility of the player getting stuck. I agree that going up and down through the same path, specially if you loose the powerup and have to redo some rooms several times can easily get frustrating. I tried adding shortcuts and making the way down much easier but I fell short it seems.

But I don´t think this layout is unnecessary or that it doesn´t bring much to the level, the people who "got it" have given this design amazing praise...I think it´s just highly polarizing: you either love it or you hate it. And I also think it´s very complex and the mayority of the players won´t be getting it, expecting something much more linear and thinking they´ve become trapped or stuck at every step when they really aren´t.

I couldn´t record yesterday, so I´ll hopefully be doing it today if RL doesn´t get again in the way. Sorry for the delay, but at least more people got to put their levels in the list:
  • Ruins of the thousand flames! (7167-0000-00F9-844B) by Criskre
  • Waving at Others (5018-0000-00F7-6DBE) by KittenMaster
  • Arino's Familiar Challenge (1F1F-0000-00D8-249D) by jholmes
  • Metroid Resurgence - Ridley (1DA7-0000-00E0-C376) by Simbabbad
  • Metroid Resurgence - Tourian (FC15-0000-00E0-C791) by Simbabbad
  • Junior's Coup D'état (B8F4-0000-00F6-E173) by vikki

Simbabbad

• Metroid Resurgence - Ridley (CA16-0000-0103-88A3) by Simbabbad
  • Metroid Resurgence - Tourian (4E19-0000-0103-8C18) by Simbabbad
Like I said above, a last revision will be published shortly, I'd rather you play the revised versions. Thank you very much!
You can play Old School Super Mario (Outpost) instead, if you want!

correojon

Like I said above, a last revision will be published shortly, I'd rather you play the revised versions. Thank you very much!
You can play Old School Super Mario (Outpost) instead, if you want!
Sure, no problem.
It´s hard to keep track of everything, I had to redo the list from several different posts, I hope I´m not leaving anyone out again :S

• Ruins of the thousand flames! (7167-0000-00F9-844B) by Criskre
  • Waving at Others (5018-0000-00F7-6DBE) by KittenMaster
  • Arino's Familiar Challenge (1F1F-0000-00D8-249D) by jholmes
  • Old School Super Mario (Outpost) - EF0D-0000-00F9-5128 by simbabbad

ScOULaris

I have some mixed emotions here. Firstly. Your level is HARD! you must be a superb player, because if this is the toned down version then the first must have been insane.
I really liked that you give players two ways to go at the level. I also think you did great with the concept you chose. And therein lies my issues with the level. The concept you chose is a bit unreliable. I think it would have worked better with mushroom-grown beetles. As it is its a bit frustrating. Also, because the level requires a ton of precission, some elements are too unforgiving ( like note blocks wich, again, are somewhat unreliable). Lastly, the last thing i wanted was a feather after the checkpoint. It messes up my precission jumping.
I don't want to sound too hard because the level had some great things going for it, few levels I played made me so tense. Especially when a gazillion bullets are flying every wich way. Thats a good thing and im sure super proficient players (which im assuming you are one of) might have a much more possitive impression, but for me i felt maybe it was a little bit out of my league. I wish it was a bit more forgiving too keep me going and hooked.

Thanks for giving it a shot! I never thought I was anything more than an above-average Mario player, but making Mario Maker levels has made me realize that I might be among the top percentile in terms of skill. By no means am I a bonafide speedrunner or anything, but the difficulty that most people have with my levels tends to surprise me every time. I do make them somewhat difficult because I enjoy a decent challenge in my Mario levels, but I'm still working on nailing that balance between difficulty and accessibility.

As for why I gave the cape power-up after the checkpoint, that really helps for knocking away cannonballs that are flying at you while also giving you more leeway when jumping from beetle to beetle since you can float with the cape. It also doesn't hurt that it gives you an extra 2 hitpoints.

J-Fr

Most of my old courses received the checkpoint update.
I realized that I never posted those levels on GAF:

Title - Starmen Invasion
ID - C9E2-0000-00F8-1D47
Difficulty - Medium-Hard

Help Kirby avoid the Starmen!

Title - Chomps n' Donuts
ID - EF63-0000-00F7-FC9D
Difficulty - Hard

Hard and manageable course featuring Chomps and spin jumps.

Killua

So I went through and overhauled this level like crazy to get it up to the standards of my newer levels. In fact, its about 300% more content. I know my math is wack lol. Please check it out and give some feedback back.

P.S. This level is a bit reliant on wall jumps. So it may be kinda hard for some people.

WVW69imRUaMk7Bwb09

Feast of The Piranha Plant (3.0)
(9111-0000-00F9-C74F)

CrisKre

Thanks for giving it a shot! I never thought I was anything more than an above-average Mario player, but making Mario Maker levels has made me realize that I might be among the top percentile in terms of skill. By no means am I a bonafide speedrunner or anything, but the difficulty that most people have with my levels tends to surprise me every time. I do make them somewhat difficult because I enjoy a decent challenge in my Mario levels, but I'm still working on nailing that balance between difficulty and accessibility.

As for why I gave the cape power-up after the checkpoint, that really helps for knocking away cannonballs that are flying at you while also giving you more leeway when jumping from beetle to beetle since you can float with the cape. It also doesn't hurt that it gives you an extra 2 hitpoints.

Oh! I didn´t even think about the cape spin :/ Ill give it another shot when I get home tonight (I was soooo close too, died at the second saw blade right at the end).

RagnarokX

Edit: Made a small edit to remove an easy exploit to skip the whole level. The code in this post now reflects the most recent version.

Decided to make a new level today based on some of the constructive criticism that I received in this thread for my past levels. This one is still challenging but much more accessible than my other stuff. I made sure to place a checkpoint right where most people would want a breather, and I gave the player more room for different approaches than I did with my more speedrun-focused levels prior.

V10WnIW.png

Level: Buzzy Beetle Bounding
Code: BF9A-0000-00F8-834D
Difficulty: 3.5/5 (really this time)

• An airborne SMW adventure in which you must ride flying Buzzy Beetles while navigating around obstacles
  • Power-ups before and after the checkpoint to cut the player some slack
  • A hidden alternate path through the level
  • Designed to be tackled either slowly and methodically or speedrun by more intrepid veterans
If you end up liking it, feel free to check out my other levels below:

I was curious about this level cuz of the difficulty discussion. Not particularly hard imo. The saws at the end are a bit much but I could tank hits due to the cape. Beat it the first time finding the way to the top of the level, which feels too much like a dev door rather than an alternate route. It just gives up half way when the fire bars stop showing up. The normal route wasn't very hard. I'd say only about as hard as Nintendo's official para-beetle levels. Good level overall.

(mat)

Thanks for the levels, guys. Unfortunately I didn't get to the last one who quoted me and gave me their code. I'm sorry! Technical problems caused me to cut it off early.

Regardless, super fun levels, guys! Thanks again!

correojon

Will someone please play and give some feedback on my level? It´s sitting there with just 3 plays and 0 stars, which is strange as 2 of those 3 people managed to beat it :S

Videos are live!
First of all I must say I enjoyed a lot all the levels, I had been playing expert mode the last few days and wow, GAF levels are truly something else. So thanks to everyone for the good time and for restoring my faith in SMM!

Super Mario Maker GAF levels 6-1
  • Forest Canyon (33EB-0000-00F0-9216) by Mael: I love levels based on exploration and with many secrets and this one provides just that. I enjoyed a lot looking and finding secrets everywhere.
    The only complaint I have about this level is that there are many instant death instances in the form of bottomless pits, which I think don´t mix well with exploration. If you want the player to explore you have to provide a safe environment: I don´t mean that there should be no hazards, but they should be clearly isolated and identified so the player doesn´t fear trying things and going to seemengly unexpected places. In this regard, the bottomless pits in this level hurt exploration a bit: I died once by willingly dropping to a pit in hopes there was somethings down there other than death. After this, I became much more careful and stopped looking in some places where they may have been something hidden. I suggest you either block these pits with spikes or Grinders, so it becomes clear to the player that he shouldn´t go down there.
    There were also some confusing parts in the cave, but I guess that mixes well with a level so focused on exploration, so just a minor remark.
    In conclusion, I enjoyed a lot this level, thank you!
  • 11:00 Ruins of the thousand flames! (7167-0000-00F9-844B) by Criskre: I think I said everything I need to say about this in my Miiverse comment: all your levels are truly amazing! This is another exploration based level with many masterfully hidden secrets. I loved how a single missing block in the ceiling can hint you to a tight passage and how some minimum skill was necessary to access most secrets.
    Even with all the hidden routes the level was pretty linear, and I´m not saying this in a bad way but rather in a good one, as the general direction to advance was always clear.
    The only minor complaint is that there were some instances where there might´ve been too many enemies at once (I´m thinking of a hidden passage in the top with multiple Fire Flowers), but well, it being a hidden place may legitimate this sudden spike on difficulty I guess.
    CrisKre´s levels always give the impression of being filled with too many and too different elements, but in this case, even though there´s lots of content, the level didn´t give that usual chaotic impression. Also, the use of Piranha Plants and Grinders from start to finish made the level feel more cohesive.
    Awesome level as usual, great work!

Super Mario Maker GAF levels 6-2
  • Waving at Others (5018-0000-00F7-6DBE) by KittenMaster: At the beginning I didn´t like the level and was fearing it to be an unbalanced mess of hard challenges, but the more time I stayed in it the more I liked it. It was very nice how I could get through all the first challenge "easily" the first time when I knew nothing about it. Then I started sucking at it, until I developed a strategy to comfortably get through it every time. This can also be applied to the rest of the challenges: the first time you get through them it seems that you were just lucky and that you may not pull that stunts again, but after trying a few times it becomes evident how nicely balanced they are and how, once you understand them, carefully crafted they´ve been. The feeling of accomplishment you get after beating every challenge or finding the solution is great, but the feeling you get when you repeteadly conquer them is even better.
    There was a part with 2 Grinders that forced you to jump and fall between them (I think you come from a fast conveyor belt). The first time I died there because I couldn´t identify clearly where I was supposed to go, as the camera wasn´t showing the floor and there was nothing to guide me. Some coins there in between the Grinders would be a great addition. This was the only death in the whole level that felt "cheap", for the rest I take full responsibility.
    There´s a place, right after the Hammer Bro and before jumping onto the first Blue Skull, where the floor tiles threw me off a bit. There were 2 solid blocks and a semisolid bridge right before a jump and for some reason, maybe the similar colors, that messed me a bit...I think changing those 2 brown solid blocks for blue ones would be a good idea. if you see me stupidly dying there or hitting the wall instead of jumping the first times, that´s the reason.
    Also, great use of Blue Skull Platforms, using them in short tracks with twisted paths that served just the use they were placed there for. Very creative and well executed.
    Fun level and very cool and well balanced challenges.
  • 9:00 Arino's Familiar Challenge (1F1F-0000-00D8-249D) by jholmes: The whole level was enjoyable and I liked a lot the secret to unlock the ending (also, good call on the pipe so
    if the player fails to activate the block he can make the Flying Koopa respawn
    ). I was enjoying a lot Arino´s shouts, so I was bummed when I unnecessarily took a hit and couldn´t get another Arino Mushroom for the rest of the level :(
    I didn´t like the placement of the star, it felt really worthless. I took a hit to get it and then, as usual I tried to rush to advance through the level as much as I could. The Music Blocks right out of the pipe invited for a big jump downwards, but doing so led me to my death in a bottomless pit. Also, there really weren´t much enemies or hazards to use the star on. You should redesign the exit of the pipe and maybe place a passage at the top filled with enemies so the player can just rush through them and have a good time. Getting a star and killing lots of enemies is always fun, so when you get one and really can´t use it it´s very disapointing, specially when you have to go out of your way to get the star.
    Simple and cool level with a nice twist at the end.
  • 15:00 Junior's Coup D'état (B8F4-0000-00F6-E173) by vikki: I enjoyed this level for the most part, but there was something constantly throwing me off. The level requires you to solve a puzzle to beat it, but it´s not clear. I think there is too much focus or hints at bombs/breakable walls and at the fire flower, while either is really necessary to beat the level.
    The challenge with the fast moving vertical platforms was very original, but it was a bit frustrating and I didn´t enjoy getting through it more than once. I think the checkpoint placed you right before it so I think it would be better to move the checkpoint right after it.
    The platform where the big Red Koopa appears should have a solid block on the right to avoid the player kicking the Koopa in the wrong direction and becoming stuck. Also, the lower platform had only one tile to drop down at the borders and failing meant instant death. I think that challenge was misplaced, it really doesn´t add anything and may be too much punishment for a little mistake when going down, you should increase the border to 2 tiles to make it easier to get down.
    The door puzzle wasn´t very clear either and even though I understood it I had problems locating the correct door in successive "warps". It forced me to move to another screen to check if I was where I wanted to be and if not, go back to the doors and repeat. Some hint in the same screens as the doors would be a nice addition, maybe a missing tile in the wall or something.
    I laughed when I saw Junior maniacally throwing all those hammers, but at the same time I was a bit disappointed that the fight was so simple and not required at all, you could just damage boost through/above him and reach the goal. I was expecting more importance for Bowser Jr. with such an interesting title, maybe there was something I missed that gives it more sense?
    Good level with some very original and clever ideas, but also with some rough edges.
  • 27:00 Old School Super Mario (Outpost) - EF0D-0000-00F9-5128 by simbabbad: A really great pure platforming level. Simple and linear, with cool challenges and which flowed incredibly naturally. I just breezed from challenge to challenge, it all felt extremely cohesive. The Bullet Bills give lots of freedom to the player to go through the level in many different ways and are used through all the level providing a very nice continuity. It really felt like a classic Mario level, great job!
    Simple and raw fun.

CrisKre

Will someone please play and give some feedback on my level? It´s sitting there with just 3 plays and 0 stars, which is strange as 2 of those 3 people managed to beat it :S

[*]11:00 Ruins of the thousand flames! (7167-0000-00F9-844B) by Criskre: I think I said everything I need to say about this in my Miiverse comment: all your levels are truly amazing! This is another exploration based level with many masterfully hidden secrets. I loved how a single missing block in the ceiling can hint you to a tight passage and how some minimum skill was necessary to access most secrets.
Even with all the hidden routes the level was pretty linear, and I´m not saying this in a bad way but rather in a good one, as the general direction to advance was always clear.
The only minor complaint is that there were some instances where there might´ve been too many enemies at once (I´m thinking of a hidden passage in the top with multiple Fire Flowers), but well, it being a hidden place may legitimate this sudden spike on difficulty I guess.
CrisKre´s levels always give the impression of being filled with too many and too different elements, but in this case, even though there´s lots of content, the level didn´t give that usual chaotic impression. Also, the use of Piranha Plants and Grinders from start to finish made the level feel more cohesive.
Awesome level as usual, great work!
[/list]

First off, thank you for playing Ruins and the praise!

I loved your level as well. You are constructing some trully great levels bud. The difficulty progression and how you introduce and make mechanics more complex is really really something. You literally think of everything and i love it! There is challenge here, but its never frustrating because you almist know what the player will do and offer relief. Also, great secrets in there.

J-Fr

How about trying a better level that I made, it medium difficulty
(Depending of the route you take)
: 9F95-0000-00E7-ED29

I cleared the vines route. It felt very hard! Is it doable without taking damage? I damage boosted my way with a fire flower.

The spinies route felt a bit unfair.
When you take the blue skull platform there's nothing to stop you from wandering off for 30 seconds until the end where you meet the wall. You could make the platform fall off or put a wall blocking the way.
Also when you jump off the skull platform, you land on a row of donuts blocks. You jump on the second row, third row is off screen so you will take a hit without seeing anything coming the first time.

jotun?

I think I need a "no japanese stages please" option for the 100-mario challenge. Every one of them seems to be some bullshit where you have to spend 20 lives just to figure out what you're supposed to do

I cleared the vines route. It felt very hard! Is it doable without taking damage? I damage boosted my way with a fire flower.

The spinies route felt a bit unfair.
When you take the blue skull platform there's nothing to stop you from wandering off for 30 seconds until the end where you meet the wall. You could make the platform fall off or put a wall blocking the way.
Also when you jump off the skull platform, you land on a row of donuts blocks. You jump on the second row, third row is off screen so you will take a hit without seeing anything coming the first time.

I cleared it being small Mario from start to end on all routes, so it is possible not to get hit, but you have to be really used to playing the level. The spinies route is meant to be unfair, it is a punishment for people who just go right. And its the long way around, none canon part of the level. But I see what your saying, It must frustrating to think this is the only way to through the level (hehe)

Thank you playing! Your criticism will help me make a better level in the future (Hopefully).

vikki

Thanks for the levels, guys. Unfortunately I didn't get to the last one who quoted me and gave me their code. I'm sorry! Technical problems caused me to cut it off early.

I caught the feed a couple levels before RagnarokX and you played my stage just before you restarted. I waited around, but it seems you had some trouble even after the restart. Either way, it's cool to see someone play my level.

[*]15:00 Junior's Coup D'état (B8F4-0000-00F6-E173) by vikki: I enjoyed this level for the most part, but there was something constantly throwing me off. The level requires you to solve a puzzle to beat it, but it´s not clear. I think there is too much focus or hints at bombs/breakable walls and at the fire flower, while either is really necessary to beat the level.
The challenge with the fast moving vertical platforms was very original, but it was a bit frustrating and I didn´t enjoy getting through it more than once. I think the checkpoint placed you right before it so I think it would be better to move the checkpoint right after it.
The platform where the big Red Koopa appears should have a solid block on the right to avoid the player kicking the Koopa in the wrong direction and becoming stuck. Also, the lower platform had only one tile to drop down at the borders and failing meant instant death. I think that challenge was misplaced, it really doesn´t add anything and may be too much punishment for a little mistake when going down, you should increase the border to 2 tiles to make it easier to get down.
The door puzzle wasn´t very clear either and even though I understood it I had problems locating the correct door in successive "warps". It forced me to move to another screen to check if I was where I wanted to be and if not, go back to the doors and repeat. Some hint in the same screens as the doors would be a nice addition, maybe a missing tile in the wall or something.
I laughed when I saw Junior maniacally throwing all those hammers, but at the same time I was a bit disappointed that the fight was so simple and not required at all, you could just damage boost through/above him and reach the goal. I was expecting more importance for Bowser Jr. with such an interesting title, maybe there was something I missed that gives it more sense?
Good level with some very original and clever ideas, but also with some rough edges.

Thanks for playing my level, as I stated before, I've enjoyed watching people play. I thought I was done adjusting the level, but you had some of the same criticism of the level that Kittenmaster gave.

1.) It did cross my mind that the big fat red shell could go off the wrong side, then it's gone forever. My solution for that is either design a new platform that doesn't allow that or put the red tortoise on the platform so that going through the the doors, it'll respawn.

2.) As much as people have had a hard time with the doors gimmick, I won't change that part. What I think I can do is open the top of the wall near the three arrows, so the player won't be entirely confused by having to return to an area they were fighting to get away from.

3.) The boss fight is intentionally simple. It's not about fighting Bowser Jr. The point of seeing him at the end is because normally the player would fight bowser, but bowser is inprisoned by Jr. (There are two different areas the player can witness Bowser behind bars.) so instead of running into Bowser, the player is met by Jr. because Bowser has been overthrown.

Again, thanks for playing and I appreciate the feedback.

I also played through To Spin or Not To Spin. It was fun and I wish I had more time to play it because there are so many secrets I need to find. There is a lot of content on that level.

CrisKre

Thanks for playing my game sir!! Seems you had fun so that makes me happy.

I'm glad you liked my newest level, correojon. I'm definitely going to go back to levels with simple layouts like that one had (and save planning more elaborate layouts for if I ever manage to make any DOOM levels.)

(mat)

I caught the feed a couple levels before RagnarokX and you played my stage just before you restarted. I waited around, but it seems you had some trouble even after the restart. Either way, it's cool to see someone play my level.

That's right. I had some more problems than I expected. Oops! I really did enjoy your stage though. I'm planning on streaming a little more tonight, hopefully with less technical difficulties. Feel free to send me more of your stages then! :)

Thanks for playing my game sir!! Seems you had fun so that makes me happy.

I enjoyed it a lot! Thanks for making a fun level!

Kyzer

Banned
Picked this game up since a friend wanted to take advantage of that Target B2G1 deal. Didnt play it until recently and..>WOW

I didnt know how AMAZING this game would be!

SMB and SMW in HD! All the different physics! Disco parties! Amiibo costumes, incredible out-of-the-box experience in 10 Mario Challenge.

Just wow. Super impressed. I wish this would win GOTY now

Can someone possibly recommend me some levels to play which respectively make really good use of the Raccoon leaf, Cape and Propellor? Maybe I'm not looking hard enough and don't keep up enough with the thread here or outside threads, but I don't seem to find a lot of levels which emphasize careful or clever flight management.

Got a new level for you guys to try! Would love some feedback!!

RUINS.jpg

7167-0000-00F9-844B

I just wanted to say these promo art posters you do for your levels are fantastic. I'll check this one out later and let you know what I think.

Simbabbad

More feedback!

Here's a new level I made:

9C43-0000-00F3-A038

It's a moving platform level, with ParaKoopas, Piranhas, and three Bowsers blocking your way. It's moderately hard, but it can range from easy to super hard whether the Bowsers choose to troll you or not. There's plenty of Fire power to fight back, though.
Tons of projectiles everywhere on a moving platform with an erratic path and three Bowsers randomly firing more projectiles... I liked and starred your level because it's short and well made, but less projectiles (Piranha Plants without wings, less Bowsers) and less Fire Flowers would be better IMO. As it is, it feels too random and not precise enough.

Snowy Tundra
ID: 862C-0000-00F5-57BA
As said on Miiverse, it really felt like winter, and it definitely felt like Super Mario Bros. 3! Really good level: the settings, the challenge, the flow, the secrets, etc. all felt naturally placed.

Duck [MEDIUM]
ID:876E-0000-00F5-ACC8
I'm afraid the patterns and safe windows aren't intuitive or pleasant in your challenge (at least until the first checkpoint, didn't get past it)... IMO, the thing with Super Mario Bros. is to make the player feel he failed at something easy and obvious when he fails, even/particularly if it really wasn't easy, and it's not the feeling we have here.

I've updated the level for like the 4th time.

Junior's Coup D'état
B8F4-0000-00F6-E173
I didn't get it. The part with the four doors is very confusing and irritating. I finally managed to find an exit thanks to the giant red shell by ignoring the arrows (which again felt trollish), only to find myself on square one. I ran in circles a bit and quit.
The problem here is the rest isn't very stimulating either: there is a long stretch with nothing at the start, the part with the giant red cannons isn't very interesting, just nitpicky... I'm afraid I didn't like what I played.

Arino's Familiar Challenge (1F1F-0000-00D8-249D) is inspired by highlights from the show's Super Mario episodes, so some of the stage's elements might seem familiar to hardcore Mario fans.
I loved this level, in particular the use of Kameks, which in other Super Mario Maker levels are often in situations that aren't interesting or fun. The ending is clever and was very satisfying to figure out.

I'll post two more levels here for you (and others on GAF to try).

First one was made by my wife:
Name: Curious Adventure

This one is from me:
Name: Pow Block Gardens (99 Coins)
You forgot to give the codes :) !

Dry Bone´s Disposal Center Trilogy

1.2: 273B-0000-00F4-BD06
2.2: 9CAA-0000-00F4-C7A7
3.1: 085D-0000-00F4-DA36
1.2: I liked it despite my distaste for SMW Dry Bones. Nice "enemy factory" theme. It flows well with cool secrets!
2.2: I really had fun with this one, the secrets are very nice (Yoshi in particular)! IMO more readable than the first (the tracks take a lot of visual space but it isn't an issue here).
3.1: As said on Miiverse, my favourite of the three because of a tighter challenge with the obstacles, even if it becomes really apparent the powerups are too numerous: you can nearly run into the patterns because you know there is a recharge powerup shorty after. It's a general issue in the trilogy.

7167-0000-00F9-844B
So rich I had to beat it twice, I was intrigued by a lot of alternative paths I glimpsed at in my first run. It was really satisfying to unlock them all on my second run and understand how the level was structured, little by little. It looks gorgeous, with a specific identity, and the challenge and exploration are always interesting (the exploration is IMO the strongest point). The only negative aspects I met are a hit I got from a Goomba I couldn't see while climbing up on a bridge, and I'm not too hot about Giant Bowser, which is long to kill with the Fire Flower and has not enough space around him to be fought properly.

Recently I´ve been doing too complex layouts, so I wanted to make something simpler. I still ended up running out of enemies and blocks in both subworlds lol:
I loved it, and this comes from someone who doesn't usually care for spin jump mechanics. I died quite a lot, but the challenge makes you coming back, there are some really clever ideas. The puzzle and exploration elements are nice too, like for CrisKre's level, I replayed the stage to explore some alternate paths.

Title - Starmen Invasion
ID - C9E2-0000-00F8-1D47

Title - Chomps n' Donuts
ID - EF63-0000-00F7-FC9D
Starmen Invasion is really great: the concept is funny, the level has the perfect length, challenge it tight but faire and accessible.
As said on Miiverse, Chomps n' Donuts has really good ideas, I beat and enjoyed this level, but the second half has some very hazardous parts, to the point luck does help.

Loved this level. You are really really capturing the feel of the original superbly. If someone told me this was part of a lost levels compilation Id completely believe it. Kudos! Perfect length, perfect difficulty and really really true to what a 6-1 in an alternate SMB would be. Cant wait for the castle stage! I secretly hope you'd make more so that we have a full Emmanuel SMB game though ;)
Thanks a lot! They look simple, but my Old School Super Mario stages actually asked as much work as my Metroid stages. Tons and tons of testing to be sure the challenge keeps being interesting and fun even with different play styles and sorts of gamers (for example, I tested the flow of the level while not using the run button), and being careful the stages stay within the limits of the original game. I replayed the original a lot, and the differences in physics are enormous, this also had to be addressed. It was really interesting to analyse what made the first game, and try to translate that same logic in SMM.

27:00 Old School Super Mario (Outpost) - EF0D-0000-00F9-5128 by simbabbad: A really great pure platforming level. Simple and linear, with cool challenges and which flowed incredibly naturally. I just breezed from challenge to challenge, it all felt extremely cohesive. The Bullet Bills give lots of freedom to the player to go through the level in many different ways and are used through all the level providing a very nice continuity. It really felt like a classic Mario level, great job!
Simple and raw fun.
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed the level! It was great watching you play because it really felt like you enjoyed fooling around, doing non-mandatory acrobatics just for fun, which was my exact intention. You also used ways to avoid enemies and found secrets I wondered people would see or not.

----

You can check my levels in:

- My (French) blog
- SUPER MARIO MAKER BOOKMARK

Got a new level for you guys to try! Would love some feedback!!

RUINS.jpg

7167-0000-00F9-844B

WVW69imPUT8DZ49bxh

Mario ventures into the timeworn ruins of a sacred temple in search of some of its treaseures to face the evil that lurks within!

With this one I tried a few things. Firstly I tried to accomplish a distinct visual identity with the New Super Mario Bros. U theme, which admittedly is not my favorite. Im very very happy with the results on that front.

Gameplaywise, its probably a tad more challenging than my latest levels, but focused on dynamic gameplay with multiple power ups to get progressively and a bunch of secrets. I took special care to make every power up obtainable, not only by the obvious progressive means, but also in alternative manners if players put in the effort and determination. I also took a lot of time to have fun propeller suit sections, since its a very unique power up and one I hadn´t used before. Other than that, I tried and hope achieved to make every section of the level fun in its own right. There is many ways to play and finish the level.

Here is a short video of the start:

https://youtu.be/q4otBUDA2hw

Hope you guys like it!! I will play some levels of this last page when I return from work and would appreciate feedback

Ok per my previous post I played your level, loved it! Great placement on the vines and enemies. It was a real delight to
find Yoshi and use him to open the alternate escape route under Bowser
which makes for a great little fist pump moment. I plan on replaying it to find the secrets and alternate routes/rooms I missed.

Made a few new levels, and I wanted to try something different with these levels. I figured I'd tone down the amount of enemies, but still have a reasonable amount placed in each section of the levels. Anyway, feel free to leave me any feedback!

Underground Madness
DSQTSIP.jpg

Challengers Approaching
vIDLNQI.jpg

Fancy Mansion
6p87SHt.jpg

JC Sera

More feedback!

I'm afraid the patterns and safe windows aren't intuitive or pleasant in your challenge (at least until the first checkpoint, didn't get past it)... IMO, the thing with Super Mario Bros. is to make the player feel he failed at something easy and obvious when he fails, even/particularly if it really wasn't easy, and it's not the feeling we have here.

----

You can check my levels in:

- My (French) blog
- MarioMakerHub
- Nintendo Life
Thats pretty fair, the level was more about pushing an interesting mechanic out of my head in retrospect. I'm definitely going to try better next time :)

Ranger X

Ok so I finally made a new level. Its fact its because I worked forever on that one. Its quite complex (almost RagnarockX complex) and I've been tweaking it alot....

THE PUZZLING GOLDEN VESSEL (v.2)
35EC-0000-00FE-2DD4

Its a sorta hard level that isn't much of a traditional Mario style in the mean that you need to use power ups and abilities in a certain way in order to be able to proceed. For people who love to figure things out. There are multiple ways to complete the level too. Have fun!

WVW69imrGWso0CNAq1

WVW69imrG8AGa2cLyf

WVW69imrIVA0yhU_7C

WVW69imrHf0S6jtR7y

More feedback!
You forgot to give the codes :) !

Darnit! Could have sworn I pasted them in. I'll quote original post with the codes added in this time, thanks for the head's up!

I'll post two more levels here for you (and others on GAF to try).

First one was made by my wife:

7eQtJDB.jpg

Name: Curious Adventure
Description: Really fun level with lots of variety that makes you think and tests your reflexes.
Code: 2A44-0000-00F2-1BB4

This one is from me:

B0WxbxY.jpg

Name: Pow Block Gardens (99 Coins)
Description: GAF told me to stop making so many difficult levels, so I lightened up and made this easy collect-a-thon. Getting to the end is pretty simple, but the real challenge is finishing with exactly 99 coins.
Code: C69B-0000-00BC-A8A4

Have fun!!

correojon

The reason I build levels:
Those were awesome lol. Also, congratulations on winning the Reddit challenge!

(...)
3.) The boss fight is intentionally simple. It's not about fighting Bowser Jr. The point of seeing him at the end is because normally the player would fight bowser, but bowser is inprisoned by Jr. (There are two different areas the player can witness Bowser behind bars.) so instead of running into Bowser, the player is met by Jr. because Bowser has been overthrown.
I totally forgot about that, that was nice :)

I also played through To Spin or Not To Spin. It was fun and I wish I had more time to play it because there are so many secrets I need to find. There is a lot of content on that level.
Thanks for the comments, glad you enjoyed it! I put a lot of effort into putting meaningful content in the level and I´m very happy it´s being appreciated :)

First off, thank you for playing Ruins and the praise!

I loved your level as well. You are constructing some trully great levels bud. The difficulty progression and how you introduce and make mechanics more complex is really really something. You literally think of everything and i love it! There is challenge here, but its never frustrating because you almist know what the player will do and offer relief. Also, great secrets in there.
Gracias! I gave a lot of thought about the mechanic development in the main path, glad you noticed it. Also, you liking the secrets means a lot as I think you´re the best SMM user when it comes to designing secrets.

1.2: I liked it despite my distaste for SMW Dry Bones. Nice "enemy factory" theme. It flows well with cool secrets!
2.2: I really had fun with this one, the secrets are very nice (Yoshi in particular)! IMO more readable than the first (the tracks take a lot of visual space but it isn't an issue here).
3.1: As said on Miiverse, my favourite of the three because of a tighter challenge with the obstacles, even if it becomes really apparent the powerups are too numerous: you can nearly run into the patterns because you know there is a recharge powerup shorty after. It's a general issue in the trilogy.
Yeah, this "trilogy" comes from where there were no checkpoints, so dying was a real pain as the pace is kinda slow, having to constantly wait for the Grinders to get into the correct positions to get through each time. So I threw lots of powerups in between challenges to make it less frustrating, as they´re pretty long levels, as a way to raise the completion rate which was awfully low. I understand this is a problem for good players, but I think I´ll leave it as it is, at least this way more people have the chance to see the whole level and enjoy the challenges. And you never know when damage boosting may block you from getting to a secret ;) But yeah, if I redid them now I would change the design completely to at least give better rewards or an alternate path to those who don´t damage-boost. Hmmm I may actually do a new level based on this...thanks for inspiring the idea!

I loved it, and this comes from someone who doesn't usually care for spin jump mechanics. I died quite a lot, but the challenge makes you coming back, there are some really clever ideas. The puzzle and exploration elements are nice too, like for CrisKre's level, I replayed the stage to explore some alternate paths.
Wow, I think getting someone to replay your level after beating it is huge, so thanks a lot for that! You say you died a lot, was it somewhere in particular or were the deaths spread along the level?

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed the level! It was great watching you play because it really felt like you enjoyed fooling around, doing non-mandatory acrobatics just for fun, which was my exact intention. You also used ways to avoid enemies and found secrets I wondered people would see or not.
I indeed had lots of fun with it, it provided a lot of space to move and gave you extra tools to increase mobility. The Hammer Bros and Flying Koopas are usually elements that stop the flow, but thanks to the height advantage and momentum given by the Bullet Bills they could be dealt with easily and included in the fun. Kudos to you for designing a layout where Hammer Bros aren´t a pain, this is one of the few times I´ve seen this achieved. Also, I forgot to say this in the review, but usually in SMM the levels give away too much that feeling of challenge1-challenge2-challenge3-..., but in yours everything felt part of a whole and really well meshed together, like a real Mario level. It seems much simpler than Metroid Resurgence, but you say it took the same amount of work and it shows.

Regiruler

Finally back to Mario Maker after a month session of school. I've completely revamped this one, with better secret indicators, tighter level design, and more thematic details.

Plant Dominion-1 (F676-0000-00FC-E364)

WVW69imrx-QoOISrQN

7167-0000-00F9-844B

WVW69imPUT8DZ49bxh

A fairly good effort. I feel that you need to incentivize the secrets a bit better (nothing prior to the propeller mushroom was really worth going after, as nothing gave a substantial shortcut and the helmet is lost fairly quickly to the podoboos from below.
I also think it feels long for the sake of being long. None of the challenges really stood out to me.

Videoneon

I have a Mario Maker level!

Little Challenger
96C8 0000 00FE 01AF

I apologize that it's not very aesthetically pleasing and generally rough around the edges. But I think there are a handful of interesting tricky sections here, and it'll test one's patience and control. It comes with two paths that lead to the end. There's only one "secret" and it's a pain in the ass to get, so don't worry about it if you don't find it.

When you get to the Hammer Bros section (if you take that route) I recommend being patient and waiting =D

Simbabbad

New official course: NES Remix, with a costume reward.

Pretty easy and classic, costume unlocked: frog suit.

(NES Remix rocks, BTW, especially the first)

as someone who wouldn't create any stage, and just want to play whatever is there, is it enough for me to buy this game?

i read i can save stages in my profile, but can i download stages to my WiiU ? or i just have to play online except for the bundled stages from nintendo or that comes with the game only?

the value of this game is by its stages, but i want to know how many levels i can keep and access offline cause i'm not playing platform games anymore but a game like this can come in handy for long time ahead

bottom line, if i can atleast download official nintendo stages and it can be updated every time to collect a good number of stages, and can access them offline, i can go for it, otherwise i'd step back

Junahu

Can i download stages to my WiiU ?
Yes you can. You can even edit them if you wanted to. You can even arrange them into "worlds" of four levels and play them back-to-back with limited lives

You save stages to the coursebot, which is the same space used for your own creations. There are 120 save slots for levels.

CrisKre

as someone who wouldn't create any stage, and just want to play whatever is there, is it enough for me to buy this game?

i read i can save stages in my profile, but can i download stages to my WiiU ? or i just have to play online except for the bundled stages from nintendo or that comes with the game only?

the value of this game is by its stages, but i want to know how many levels i can keep and access offline cause i'm not playing platform games anymore but a game like this can come in handy for long time ahead

bottom line, if i can atleast download official nintendo stages and it can be updated every time to collect a good number of stages, and can access them offline, i can go for it, otherwise i'd step back

You can download stages to play offline, yes. But dont discount the creation aspect. I thought i wouldn't like creating, and here i am, balls deep, over 2 months after release. Its that fun.

Yes you can. You can even edit them if you wanted to. You can even arrange them into "worlds" of four levels and play them back-to-back with limited lives

You save stages to the coursebot, which is the same space used for your own creations. There are 120 save slots for levels.

120 stage kinda good

You can download stages to play offline, yes. But dont discount the creation aspect. I thought i wouldn't like creating, and here i am, balls deep, over 2 months after release. Its that fun.

actually as JRPG gamer mainly and mostly on non-nintendo device , i really doubt that i'll have time for this, but considering that i was planning to buy New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U ,i thought maybe this is a better alternative for longer time

Top Bottom