• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Bydobob

Is anyone else noticing less and less plays on their newer levels? My newest level only has 13 plays, the one before only 33 and before that 58.

It feel likes a bit a waste of your efforts and time making a new level if you don't have a big friend/followers list..

I was wondering just this actually. My new level is over 12 hours old and stuck on 1 player. My suspicion is the new search function has taken traffic away from the other sections, in particular 'Up and Coming'.

So, what about my new level?

Kamikaze Waters
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/DACC-0000-0172-DC4B
DACC-0000-0172-DC4B_full.jpg

It's a traditional, slow-scrolling shoot 'em up, set in a perilous sea of angry Bonefish!

It is split into 2 levels of gently increasing difficulty (no checkpoints), and will place demands on your peripheral vision as much as the fire button. There are lots of enemies and blocks to take out, with 'blink and you miss 'em' Bloopers providing special bonus points. I wanted players to shoot for a high score, so set a target of 30290 to get players going. See if you can beat it!

Owensboro

I got this game for Christmas and am kind of ambivalent to it at the moment, but I think that's mostly because I have no friends to play with / test out levels / show my levels to... so it's time to give the community thread a shot!

1) Thank you so much OP for putting bookmark links for the GAF winners in your post! I just found out about this bookmark feature a few days ago but had absolutely no reason to use it (no one to follow, no levels to try out). I can't wait to give those things a go.

2) I thought: "Oh neat! There's a list of people who have created levels and need feedback! That'll be fun....OH GOD THERE'S A MILLION OF THEM". Uh, does that list get updated at all, or is it just a catch all? What's the etiquette for commenting on someone's level? Just quote their post?

3) Is there a list of level creators that absolutely need to be followed? Or a list of "Must Play" levels that aren't in the OP's course winner list? I'm looking for people to add who the community agree have high quality output. I've tried a quick google search and only came up with a ton of articles about "Mario Maker's Worst Feature" (it's searching tools).

4) Hi everyone! Can't wait to figure out this creation nonsense. I love the idea of level contests!

Inkwell

Banned
I want to thank everyone who has been playing my Wizard's Castle Beta and giving me feedback and suggestions (both here and miiverse). It's been helpful so far and I've already made a few changes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi gaf I made some pretty awesome levels imo and I'm going to try some of these on the thread.

I love this game but doing random levels suck cause everyone does stupid hard unfun levels! Or automatic bs.

A little bit of bullet bill jumping
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/2FCF-0000-015C-BD33

You can tell I love smw set. Was harder and made this easier and re-upload. Still people have a tough time
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/D34D-0000-015D-19F4

This has a pretty fun boss battle.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/BC3C-0000-0166-C02F

Very nice levels. I think I enjoyed castle black the most because it had sections that felt straight out of SMW. jumping jack castle was fun too but a little more challenging. King koopas crib was my least favorite. It was a little too directionless and I felt lost most of the time. The boss fight was neat but way too easy.

I've finally gotten acquainted with all the level making tools and in the middle of me making bad levels, I decided to put some effort into a few of these. My spelunky level was my most ambitious one, thinking about doing the jungle, ice caves, and temple later. Interested in playing a bunch of cool levels here too! I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say, since playtesting by myself only goes so far. And the best part, they're all pretty easy levels, at least in my opinion.

Spelunky Caves! 4 Levels in 1!

BD9D-0000-016B-6E55_full.jpg

4 zones! Spelunky doesn't normally have checkpoints, but I took the mercy of the player and put one at the halfway point, if you want it. Working with the block restriction on this one was the hardest, to give the illusion of 4 sectioned off areas.

Not The Best Level, a Tribute

76B4-0000-0166-37DF_full.jpg

created a (for the most part) traditional super mario world style level that I thought I would have enjoyed as a kid.

Mario Loses His Medical License™

169D-0000-016E-F893.jpg

A silly story level, very short.

Day after day I cannot get enough of this game, creating fun and challenging levels is a lot of fun, trying to anticipate what a player's next move is. Even if they are speed running. Playing great levels are great for inspiration, and the amiibo costumes give me silly ideas for story driven levels.

Your first and last levels are the ones that shine here. I've never played Spelunky so I can't comment too much about it in that sense. I can say I had a ton of fun with it, even though there's some unavoidable and near unavoidable traps that require trial and error. Mario loses his medical license was a fun idea. It made me want to make my own story level.

I was playing around with the fire koopa copter, trying to make a shoot 'em up level last night and had an idea. Instead of making something floating in the air, I made something that looks like a Mario level. However, simply shooting enemies isn't very challenging or interesting. I think the thing that actually adds challenge to a shooter stage is blowing blocks out of the way, watching enemies die is mostly just for show. I had the idea to put Pow blocks all over the place, but it turns out that they don't float, so I put wings on them and just put them in for killing enemies, which I think works as a fun mechanic, since just shooting the enemies isn't that fun. I also only put fire flowers with wings for power ups, because they're just much more fun than mushrooms, which don't actually do anything for the koopa copter. Anyway, I made these.

I'm not a fan of the shoot em up levels, but yours were probably the most fun ones that I've played. The pow mechanic was so much fun. I think 1-2 is the best one. 1-1 gets a little annoying because there's too many blocks in the way. I died too many times by getting crushed. I also feel 1-2 had a better difficulty balance. It could have used maybe 1 more pow block. Overall great levels!

Here's a new course I did. There three area where you have to make a choice which path to go next. Only one path is the correct in each area and the wrong choices can either send you backwards, into a trap you have to fight your way to get out of, an optional boss fight, one area that you're most likely die(but you do have a chance not to in which you'll be sent backwards). I want to put this on the somewhat hard side of things but could maybe easy to some. There are hints as to which way to go.

80E4-0000-0171-E8EC_full.jpg

This was a very good ghost house up until the boss fight. I'll start with the good. Great design and aesthetics. I loved the door/pipe puzzle. Great aha moment when you solve it. That boss fight felt out of place. I didn't take any damage, but I feel it would have been way too difficult without a fire flower. On top of that, the ghost wheel is a bit nasty to have right at the end. It's too awkward trying to fly through it. I had to tank a hit. I imagine someone who was small mario could just die right before the goal and have to repeat everything after the checkpoint.

I'm really proud of this level. Although it this kind of level has been done before, but I really enjoyed the concept. It's fun trying to work around the limitations of this game!

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/92A2-0000-0172-3832

Gravity Cube
ID: 92A2-0000-0172-3832

This was a really interesting level. I enjoyed the puzzle element, but feel there needed to be a bit more danger or enemies. When you look at the level screenshot, you see a lot of unused space in that interior area.

I decided to try a shooting level and what I came up with was Burning Down the Ice Patch!

I had a few ideas going into this -- I was inspired to go with an icy motif given how damn cold it is today, and there were a few other things that I thought would work neat in a level like this. This wound up taking forever to make though, and I'm sort of sick of looking at it, so I'd love some feedback on it. Special shout-out to Agent Unknown, he makes shoot-em-up levels seem easy to make and I certainly stood on the shoulders of a giant, as they say, in making this after playing his R-TYPE Blast the Bydo Empire stage.

(Only part of my new stage is autoscroll -- if you feel like you need more autoscrolling goodness, my stage The Harrowing Haunted Hallway has yet to be completed since the bookmark site went up.)

Now I need to get to work putting away my bookmark backlog. I figured I'd be able to play them all today but making this stage was like hammering away at a nut that just won't crack.

I haven't gotten to your ghost house level yet (I missed the link earlier).

The shoot em up part of the level was serviceable. The underground section was better. Unfortunately they felt like they were from 2 separate levels. It sounds like making the level was a bit too fatiguing, but I have some suggestions. There needed to be more going on in the shoot em up section. The first part was just a little too bland. A few more enemies and pows would make it better. I think the underground section should have been another section like that, but with the difficulty ramped up a bit. Maybe some ice-block barriers you have to destroy so you don't die.

I put together an SMB3 airship level really quick earlier tonight after I got it all unlocked. Anyone care to give it a shot? It's a short one...

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/1C45-0000-0172-D397

1C45-0000-0172-D397

1C45-0000-0172-D397_full.jpg

It's not bad. The design is really dense. The lower path was a bit irritating because you have a combination of the up and down motion of the level mixed with tricky jumps. I'm sure that was the intent but I didn't find it very fun. I didn't like the spring/spike bit at the end. I've never been able to do those without taking a hit. Those 2 things were my main gripes. Other than that, I can't say too much else is wrong with the level.

Mcdohl

The Goomba Towers
B415-0000-0118-849F

The Goombas have come up with a new plan!

Tired of being stomped by Mario, they have banded up to tower themselves up so Mario is unable to jump above them.

Will Mario be able to outsmart them this time?

B415-0000-0118-849F.jpg

B415-0000-0118-849F_full.jpg

Bookmark link.

Inkwell

Banned
I have a new level. I just wanted to make something simple and classic. My intent was to make the level feel like it came right out of SMW. In ghost house fashion, there's a secret exit hidden somewhere. If I could place alternate goals it would feel better.

Haunting of Mushroom Hill House

2870-0000-0175-1E38.jpg

2870-0000-0175-1E38_full.jpg

I'll also put this here in case people missed it on the other page:

I'm trying something a little different here. I'm releasing a beta of a level. I've had a horrible time trying to make it. My original concept just wouldn't work correctly, I don't like the look of it, and nothing went smooth in terms of designing it. I had to make lots of compromises. It just doesn't sit well with me. I've put so much time into it I figure I will release it anyway.

I really want as much feedback as possible to fix or improve it in every way before I do an official release. I will only leave the beta level up for about a week at most. If I get enough feedback I'll take it down even sooner.

The Wizard's Castle b1 (I'll come up with a better name later)

Ok, enough shilling my own stuff.

After a few months of pause due to a overwhelming backlog, I'm getting back into the game, with an easy one.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E522-0000-0173-6AEC

L6AGGhS.png

Be nice Gaf, it's like my first time all over again.

The difficulty felt strange. It mostly played well, but then there's sections like where you have to spin jump on those spike tops. Over all it was simple but still pretty fun.

New level

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/941B-0000-0174-5E8C

I hope it's a good level, but I had to lower the difficulty quite a bit.

I'm not sure how to get the stage layout picture posted from the website, though.

That first part was good, tough, and fair, but that ending was way too difficult. I could never make it through the section just before the boss fight without taking a hit, which made the boss feel nearly impossible, and I'm sure it would be difficult even if I were able to take the extra hit. The only way I was able to complete it was to sneak under him and blast through the wall hoping I wouldn't get hit through random chance. Even then I'm sure I was only a pixel away from death a few times.

I was wondering just this actually. My new level is over 12 hours old and stuck on 1 player. My suspicion is the new search function has taken traffic away from the other sections, in particular 'Up and Coming'.

Kamikaze Waters

It's a traditional, slow-scrolling shoot 'em up, set in a perilous sea of angry Bonefish!

It is split into 2 levels of gently increasing difficulty (no checkpoints), and will place demands on your peripheral vision as much as the fire button. There are lots of enemies and blocks to take out, with 'blink and you miss 'em' Bloopers providing special bonus points. I wanted players to shoot for a high score, so set a target of 30290 to get players going. See if you can beat it!

Those bonefish are just fiendish! Had me sweating bullets every time they appeared. I missed a lot of bloopers early on so I didn't pay attention to my score, but the level was very fun.

I liked those levels. It was a nice concept and I liked that you put hidden block up at the top and I definitely die a few time on the stages

Thanks. I think it's best if I don't allow the screen to scroll upwards at all, so I blocked that off.

I'm not a fan of the shoot em up levels, but yours were probably the most fun ones that I've played. The pow mechanic was so much fun. I think 1-2 is the best one. 1-1 gets a little annoying because there's too many blocks in the way. I died too many times by getting crushed. I also feel 1-2 had a better difficulty balance. It could have used maybe 1 more pow block. Overall great levels!

I get what you're saying about the blocks. I died on them too. I'll have another look at that. I think I hit the POW block limit, though. I don't think I can put in more than about 10.

jholmes

NeoGAF, I have just one word to say to you, just one word: Chwomps.

In what might be the first stage actually based on something in this thread, I was struck by inspiration and cranked out a new stage today. I just put one out yesterday and that's still there, but this is a return to my bread and butter -- challenging, quick and very speedrunnable. I hope you enjoy!

Now to finally give feedback from that long backlog of mine. (I topped it off with some new stages just for kicks!)

After a few months of pause due to a overwhelming backlog, I'm getting back into the game, with an easy one.

L6AGGhS.png

The short answer is that I liked this. I'm sort of a sucker for those inflatable tube things. But the very first bumper is in an awful place -- it's very easy to jump right into it and get knocked into the very first pit. What's that all about? Also, the first platform after the checkpoint -- after a trio of moving bumpers -- is almost impossible to jump to off of the last of the three bumpers. That should be an easy jump, but it's very hard to do here.

One last point, and it's a minor one -- it's a bit confusing to name the level Donut Plain when there's already Donut Plains in the actual Super Mario World game. But I liked what's going on here, if you're getting back in the swing of things I'd definitely check out your next stage.

Kamikaze Waters

Shooter fans might really dig this but I found this just exhaustingly difficult. I did beat it, and I really like the concept of an underwater shooting stage and the individual bits you put together, but holy hell is this hard. I just tried a shooter so I know how hard it is to do stuff like checkpoints in one of these levels, but the last half of this level is just ball-bustingly difficult. One thing I'd note is that it's very easy in this stage to move up and away from the action. I know the engine is bad at holding Mario to the main line if you have anything above the screen (I'm guessing you had to put the bloopers there) so there might not be much you can do to fix that, really.

Anyone who thinks they can handle the challenge should try it though. You might have an easier time than I did, maybe.

I got a kick out of it! I like the title and the level was fun. One thing maybe to watch is that the actual bit where Mario loses his licence, it's easy to die there.

The bits with the falling bullet shooters are maybe a tad too tight. I liked the fall by the flames, that part was well executed. Fun castle stage.

My first serious attempt at a thematic (costume) level, starring Blathers from Animal Crossing. The level is called Blathers' Fossil Quest and I aimed for an easy to medium difficulty, make everything look cave-like with contraptions that provide you with items and there's a region in the center through which you go three times a la Yoshi's Island.

1EFA-0000-015A-326E.jpg

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/1EFA-0000-015A-326E

Good sense of place in this level, and a really neat layout. A bit too chaotic for my tastes, it didn't quite grab me but anyone who likes the esthetic should really give it a spin, there's a lot to like here.

New Years Challenge (Expert)
5B19-0000-0162-EA43

KjfiYmJ.jpg

Bookmark here: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/5B19-0000-0162-EA43

It's not that long so give it a try!

I almost gave up on this one. The first half is incredibly hard, like Kaizo level hard. The half after the checkpoint is so much easier, it's a breeze in comparison. I think the difficulty could've been smoothed out a bit. If anything I think the tricky (but often clever) jumps you ask for should be in the latter half after the checkpoint -- at that point the player will be more invested in the level and more likely to finish even if they think they're not quite up to the task. Really good execution on the final bit with the magikoopa, really liked that.

Oh, and happy 2016 to you!

I put together an SMB3 airship level really quick earlier tonight after I got it all unlocked. Anyone care to give it a shot? It's a short one...

1C45-0000-0172-D397

There wasn't enough room on the screen to take the bottom path -- this is one of the issues with the airship tileset, that the screen drifts. Not sure if that was your intention, but I took the high road and I liked the stage all well and good. Thanks for sharing it!

Here’s some of my previous levels if anyone wants to take a look:
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/Awgner07
Use the Star Speed Mario-Kun: Mario-Kun, they key to success is star speed!

The Mario-Kun costume and what you've done with the stage layout make this level feel more like an early Famicom game than Mario -- that's a good thing! I liked the stage too, breezy and fun.

I've had this game for about a week now, but haven't popped into this thread until now. I'll definitely be bookmarking some levels from here and checking them out.

Here's a link to my level: Conveyor Castle. It's straightforward, but somewhat challenging I think. If anyone gives it a shot, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I really liked this! It's actually pretty short for what it is. The smaller length means the difficulty is much more manageable. One of the better stages I've played in a while.

I want to add to this a bit, the level they took down was a full and detailed level I spent about 15 hours making. There is another level I spent a similar amount of time on and probably is of similar quality, it also has barely had any plays. Perhaps someone can have a look and tell me if I'm way off here and it's not good enough to have online, but it just seems really wrong to take down a level that has barely had anyone even try it. I feel like it shouldn't be necessary to publicise every level!

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/1377-0000-012E-8FAA

Rigging everywhere! I feel like this level is a little overdesigned in terms of the look and it's a little easy to just jump past most of the danger. With that said the Internet seems to absolutely love levels like this so I'm not sure why you aren't getting more plays.

MST3K "Nooooo Springs!"

MidweekMatinee-SpringFever-03-Coily.jpg

Course ID: 77DC-0000-0149-428D

Inspired by the creepy, bizarre and classic MST3K short "A Case of Spring Fever."

Really good stage here. One issue is that when going to the blue skull lifts on the main path, that requires a huge blind jump. But I liked it enough to put down a pretty fair WR time, a strong baseline although definitely beatable if anyone wants to.

OK, that just about does the feedback for now!

KooopaKid

Banned
Finished the latest level from Super Mario Planets since the last update.

I tried to use the bumpers in interesting ways.

Here's Super Mario Planets - Planet 2-5 :

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/4D19-0000-0175-91B4

4D19-0000-0175-91B4.jpg

4D19-0000-0175-91B4_full.jpg

Previous levels:

Super Mario Planets - Planet 2-4 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/F061-0000-0125-3206
F061-0000-0125-3206_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 2-3 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/6417-0000-0104-450B
6417-0000-0104-450B_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 2-2 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/BF46-0000-00E6-1C99
BF46-0000-00E6-1C99_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 2-1 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/8C82-0000-00D8-5AD8
8C82-0000-00D8-5AD8_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-8 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/724C-0000-00D8-20EC
724C-0000-00D8-20EC_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-7 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/843C-0000-00D8-1C3A
843C-0000-00D8-1C3A_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-6 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/AFC4-0000-00D8-1A94
AFC4-0000-00D8-1A94_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-5 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E075-0000-00D8-0EAB
E075-0000-00D8-0EAB_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-4 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E821-0000-00D8-0939
E821-0000-00D8-0939_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-3 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/D319-0000-00D8-01A3
D319-0000-00D8-01A3_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-2 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E400-0000-00D7-FE58
E400-0000-00D7-FE58_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-1 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/A058-0000-00D7-FA3D
A058-0000-00D7-FA3D_full.jpg

Bydobob

1C45-0000-0172-D397

Considering you put it together really quick it's a good, solid platforming level. Looking at the level overview I can see I missed a lot of areas, so maybe the design could be a little more focused. I wasn't so keen on the end, I approached from the top and it felt like I was dropping into the unknown.

Is anyone else noticing less and less plays on their newer levels? My newest level only has 13 plays, the one before only 33 and before that 58.

It feel likes a bit a waste of your efforts and time making a new level if you don't have a big friend/followers list..

Now, this one had a few "what the hell?" moments, interspersed with great moments such as the dropping donut platforms (a trick I used in my Rise after Fall level, but expanded here). You also tapped into what I like so much about jumping in SMB, little delicate presses to get into tiny gaps. I don't think you need the falling blocks in the beginning section though, they are too random and more punishing if you don't complete the jumps first time. I also posted on Miiverse where I got trapped, if there's a way out of that Chainchomp section then I missed it. Otherwise, a level with lots of highlights, and obviously one that remembered well!

L6AGGhS.png

A level featuring lots of bumpers is never going to be my favourite, I seem to struggle with these. That said I flew through the first half without taking a hit, then died numerous times after the checkpoint the minute I had to slow down and think where I needed to go. It's a decent level all the same.

New level

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/941B-0000-0174-5E8C

I hope it's a good level, but I had to lower the difficulty quite a bit.

I'm not sure how to get the stage layout picture posted from the website, though.

Another one where progress ground to a halt after the checkpoint. You've got a tricky fire bar corridor leading to an even trickier Bowser battle. Much like Inkwell I had to think of a way to cheese past him, but instead of going under him I held back at just the right distance and fired at him while he was still off-screen! I'm not sure so many cannons are a good idea in a clown car either, your hitbox is too large and the resulting knock upwards is too high. Level had it's enjoyable moments however.

The Goomba Towers
B415-0000-0118-849F

Tired of being stomped by Mario, they have banded up to tower themselves up so Mario is unable to jump above them.

B415-0000-0118-849F.jpg

Bookmark link.

I had fun with this one but there are a couple of areas I wasn't sure about. I couldn't find a way to navigate past the Goomba tower straight after the checkpoint without taking a hit. I was then wondering what the point of the note blocks in the cloud section were if the Goombas fall to their death anyway. Players are just as likely to wait as jump over them. After you get the propeller suit it's not clear that you need to get to a pipe under the stack of Goombas. I can see a lot of players jumping straight over the Goombas into the abyss.

I have a new level. I just wanted to make something simple and classic. My intent was to make the level feel like it came right out of SMW. In ghost house fashion, there's a secret exit hidden somewhere. If I could place alternate goals it would feel better.

2870-0000-0175-1E38.jpg

2870-0000-0175-1E38_full.jpg

This level had me scratching my head. I quit a couple of times, and came back to it with a fresh head, but still couldn't work out how to get to the pipe leading to the checkpoint. I do suck at puzzle levels though so the problem may be mine. Otherwise I enjoyed the central puzzle element of cape and door switches. I may have to revisit it.

Those bonefish are just fiendish! Had me sweating bullets every time they appeared. I missed a lot of bloopers early on so I didn't pay attention to my score, but the level was very fun.

Thanks, surprised you didn't get the WR time though as it looks like you completed it on first go?

In what might be the first stage actually based on something in this thread, I was struck by inspiration and cranked out a new stage today. I just put one out yesterday and that's still there, but this is a return to my bread and butter -- challenging, quick and very speedrunnable. I hope you enjoy!

I did enjoy this one a lot. As you say, very speedrunnable with a bit of practice. A fair challenge too, some of the Chwomps come charging at you at speed but there's just about enough reaction time even on your first play to avert danger. Cool name too!

Shooter fans might really dig this but I found this just exhaustingly difficult. I did beat it, and I really like the concept of an underwater shooting stage and the individual bits you put together, but holy hell is this hard. I just tried a shooter so I know how hard it is to do stuff like checkpoints in one of these levels, but the last half of this level is just ball-bustingly difficult. One thing I'd note is that it's very easy in this stage to move up and away from the action. I know the engine is bad at holding Mario to the main line if you have anything above the screen (I'm guessing you had to put the bloopers there) so there might not be much you can do to fix that, really.

Anyone who thinks they can handle the challenge should try it though. You might have an easier time than I did, maybe.

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for putting you through the mill! Despite that you currently have the World record time, did you play it again by any chance? Great if so! I'm a big fan of old school shooters so you could say that has influenced the difficulty.

You noticed something I was conscious of actually. I had a hard time positioning the winged Cheep Cheep fish so that they didn't awkwardly overlap the margins of the level, but were high enough to be a factor for the player spending time at the top of the screen. In a weird quirk, placing them one block higher made them actually appear two blocks higher in game. You may have noticed I extended the pipes of the Bonefish in the second half of the level to compensate. Still not entirely satisfied though.

Inkwell

Banned
This level had me scratching my head. I quit a couple of times, and came back to it with a fresh head, but still couldn't work out how to get to the pipe leading to the checkpoint. I do suck at puzzle levels though so the problem may be mine. Otherwise I enjoyed the central puzzle element of cape and door switches. I may have to revisit it.

Here's what you missed. I'll use a spoiler tag just in case you want to figure it out for yourself.
There's a platform with 2 arrows. One points to the upper pipe, and another pipe to the right. You have to fly from the platform to the right, under everything else, and to a platform with the pipe. The trick is you almost immediately let go of jump after you start flying. It will keep you low enough to avoid landing on the upper platform.

Thanks, surprised you didn't get the WR time though as it looks like you completed it on first go?

I was playing very cautiously.

The Goomba Towers
B415-0000-0118-849F

B415-0000-0118-849F.jpg

Bookmark link.

Pretty unique idea for a level. I was a little unsure if I did some parts correctly.

If the level wasn't set up for speedrunning it would actually be quite terrifying! I may steal the idea and use some chwomps if I'm feeling particularly evil in a future level.

Mael

On my part you can blame XenoX for my lack of SMM currently.
It's hard to juggle both (especially physical copies :/)
I have a mostly underwater level near complete nearly ready...

Let me leave bookmark link to my level in case anyone else wants to play it:

1dd990219ca2fd761853ebb7f613562c_copy.jpg

Recycle Ruins Rhapsody!
Bookmark Link:https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E59E-0000-0135-EBE9
E59E-0000-0135-EBE9_full.jpg

I played this level,
very creative, really liked the visual style!
I'm actually wondering why you choose SMB1 for the visual style though,
There may be gameplay constraints but I feel like this concept should work with any style...
I'll refresh my memory and ditch Mira for a little bit.

Zekes!

What's up fam

Been outta the Mario Maker game for a few months, though I'd try my hand at a new stage since I've been thinking about it for a while now.

Forgotten Alien Craft
EC22-0000-0173-22F2.jpg

EC22-0000-0173-22F2
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/EC22-0000-0173-22F2

There's some minor puzzle elements, but I was mostly going for atmosphere, though there are 3 hidden 1Ups. I don't think it's particularly long, but I also knew exactly where to go and what to do.

Ranger X

Not that its cool but that sounds quite logical really.
The more time passes, the more there are levels uploaded = less chances for yours to happen in the 100 Mario challenge and less chances to be played at all because numbers.

As time goes by there will also be less people playing.

Nerrel

Quit being a bitch and play this underwater level:
24119864761_3dc147de44_z.jpg

Advanced masters use the trampoline for hyperswimming.

I enjoyed this one, but I think you could polish up the beginning. The fireflower that drops isn't possible to get, so it should probably be moved just enough to make it possible or removed altogether. I also think you could move the firecopter farther to the right to give a little more time to jump in, since it's a little too jarring to start and try to hop in all at once. It'll still be a surprising start even if you give a little more leeway, but without as much risk of frustrating players. Otherwise it was a lot of fun; I like how well the winged powerups recall a shmup.

Soar through the autumn skies!
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/C648-0000-001C-2B87

I'm proud of my falling leaf solution.

This is fun. It's short, but tough enough to take a few tries. The fact that you can get hit and regain your flight by hitting a leaf is a huge relief.

jnWake

I'm pretty sure you're talking about my level All Aboard the Wiggle-mobile. (Thanks for the play and glad you enjoyed!) That's actually a really good point you bring up, but the reality of how the wiggler train works is that I had to put a short, flat area for Mario to get onto the train (the doors make sure it'll spawn for you) and needed to give the player a bit of time to get on the train and get a feel for the first bounce without any enemy getting in the way. Any sort of compromise to this to allow extra enemies to jump around would've taken up even more real estate and as it stands I feel like the level is super short.

With that said, I bring all that up because you're absolutely right, I really wish I could've found a way to do that in the stage. I spend a lot of time making sure my stages are speed-run friendly (feel free to play more of my other stuff -- for example, no one's gotten anywhere close to my own record of 32 seconds on Showdown with Red Baron Rocky) and every time I see a speedrun on a Nintendo-made Mario level with the sort of shortcut you described, it just blows my mind.

I will say this -- if I make another on-rails level, I'll make it with that in mind from the ground up.

Actually, your level shouldn't require much tweaking since you can spin bounce off the Wiggler Mobile (it was indeed your level I was referring to). In any case, I'll try to play some more of yours and steal some WRs if possible.

DKC:TF inspired me to do speed runs everywhere. That game has many silly skips like the spin bouncing one I tried to attempt here.

I'll take a wild guess and suppose you hold the WR for that level... Oh well, you barely beat me anyway!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
What's up fam

Been outta the Mario Maker game for a few months, though I'd try my hand at a new stage since I've been thinking about it for a while now.

Forgotten Alien Craft
EC22-0000-0173-22F2.jpg

EC22-0000-0173-22F2

There's some minor puzzle elements, but I was mostly going for atmosphere, though there are 3 hidden 1Ups. I don't think it's particularly long, but I also knew exactly where to go and what to do.

Cool level. I got the first clear on it =P I think it's harder than you realize — I died a bunch, although I'm a bad Mario player, so that could be why. That checkpoint and the fireflower (even if it's hard to reach) were a godsend.

It's also longer than you probably realize, but it was fun exploring all the little rooms. I thought the little puzzle to reach the last door was neat; it took me a second to realize what I had to do, and that respawning Dry Bones that's invincible to fireballs made it a bit of a bitch to get a Bob-omb over to the ice blocks.

The Goomba that popped out of a special block was a dick move, though. And all those underground gophers were freaking assholes.

jholmes

Actually, your level shouldn't require much tweaking since you can spin bounce off the Wiggler Mobile (it was indeed your level I was referring to). In any case, I'll try to play some more of yours and steal some WRs if possible.

Please do! And actually after your earlier post I went back and I gave spin-jumping a shot to see how close it would be. You can actually do it in the first half pre-checkpoint but the second half there's far too much space around the real-life wiggler (you can shortcut to the warp pipe, I doubt it'd be faster to do that though). So on the one hand I think you're absolutely right, the level should do that all the way through. On the other hand, a lot of people have already complained that it's so tough with all the enemies in the second half. I think given that the level has stuck around and got a lot of plays, it's probably best to just leave it as is and spend the rest of my life kicking myself for missing the opportunity.

jnWake

Please do! And actually after your earlier post I went back and I gave spin-jumping a shot to see how close it would be. You can actually do it in the first half pre-checkpoint but the second half there's far too much space around the real-life wiggler (you can shortcut to the warp pipe, I doubt it'd be faster to do that though). So on the one hand I think you're absolutely right, the level should do that all the way through. On the other hand, a lot of people have already complained that it's so tough with all the enemies in the second half. I think given that the level has stuck around and got a lot of plays, it's probably best to just leave it as is and spend the rest of my life kicking myself for missing the opportunity.

So I tried the Red Baron Rocky level and got the record down to 27.400! The very beggining and the boss fight were tough to speed through. Nice level!

This was a very good ghost house up until the boss fight. I'll start with the good. Great design and aesthetics. I loved the door/pipe puzzle. Great aha moment when you solve it. That boss fight felt out of place. I didn't take any damage, but I feel it would have been way too difficult without a fire flower. On top of that, the ghost wheel is a bit nasty to have right at the end. It's too awkward trying to fly through it. I had to tank a hit. I imagine someone who was small mario could just die right before the goal and have to repeat everything after the checkpoint.

It was meant to jump the copter at that point. I actually don't think you can make it through a ghost wheel with the clown copter.

I'm really proud of this level. Although it this kind of level has been done before, but I really enjoyed the concept. It's fun trying to work around the limitations of this game!

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/92A2-0000-0172-3832

Gravity Cube
ID: 92A2-0000-0172-3832

Played this and it was kinda confusing with all the pipes even with arrows. I didn't really catch a gravity theme but was really short overall

Also played
cookies castle
and the
MTW THWOMP series
and both were great! Detailed.

Made another castle level.
49D7-0000-0176-9FF9_full.jpg

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/49D7-0000-0176-9FF9

Zekes!

Cool level. I got the first clear on it =P I think it's harder than you realize — I died a bunch, although I'm a bad Mario player, so that could be why. That checkpoint and the fireflower (even if it's hard to reach) were a godsend.

It's also longer than you probably realize, but it was fun exploring all the little rooms. I thought the little puzzle to reach the last door was neat; it took me a second to realize what I had to do, and that respawning Dry Bones that's invincible to fireballs made it a bit of a bitch to get a Bob-omb over to the ice blocks.

The Goomba that popped out of a special block was a dick move, though. And all those underground gophers were freaking assholes.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't really balance it as I was more focused with throwing it together after not making something for so long. To tell you the truth, there was a second Dry Bones in that very area that I did remove because it was pretty rough, haha. During the finishing touches I was considering toning down that Bob-omb gauntlet at the end even more, but decided to leave it as is. You can kill the Dry Bones (along with the other enemies in that corridor) by tossing the Bob-omb at it, but it was still a pain for me too.

Definitely learned some things that I will be taking forward in future levels. Will focus more on ramping up the enemies and dispersing power-ups a little better.

Mael

New level,
this time it's underwater.
I usually hate underwater affairs so I tried to make something fun with a lil bit of challenge.
And of course plenty of secrets and shortcuts because I literally cannot stop myself >.<
There's a boss fight I wanted to make interesting with a kind of a puzzle but I feel like it's a bit messy the way it is currently.
Ghostly Gallion : 5DA0-0000-0176-DC52
WVW69iwTSU0uocOVka

5DA0-0000-0176-DC52_full.jpg

My profile
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/mael64

My last 4 levels :

Walking on shells with stilletos : 9F01-0000-012E-7DDA
9F01-0000-012E-7DDA_full.jpg

Bouncing Rodeo : 158E-0000-012A-2180
158E-0000-012A-2180_full.jpg

Thwomp's burning mansion : D372-0000-0109-26C6
D372-0000-0109-26C6_full.jpg

Fire in the hole v2 : 795E-0000-0136-8AA4
795E-0000-0136-8AA4_full.jpg

Let me leave bookmark link to my level in case anyone else wants to play it:

1dd990219ca2fd761853ebb7f613562c_copy.jpg

Recycle Ruins Rhapsody!
Bookmark Link:https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E59E-0000-0135-EBE9
E59E-0000-0135-EBE9_full.jpg

I played this level,
very creative, really liked the visual style!
I'm actually wondering why you choose SMB1 for the visual style though,
There may be gameplay constraints but I feel like this concept should work with any style...
I'll refresh my memory and ditch Mira for a little bit.

I was stuck in a rather random place but considering the amount of stuffs in the level that was bound to happen from time to time.
Awesome work really!

Tonche

Firstly, wanted to post my first level - Classic Underground Vibes. I've had a few plays and this is the only place I've put it so far so thanks for anyone that has had a go. No comments on this thread though so I though I'd post it one more time. If it interests the speedrunners / World Record chasers at all, the current WR is 24.6 seconds, it can definitely be done in under 20.

B1C2-0000-0167-CBC0.jpg

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/B1C2-0000-0167-CBC0

Would love some more plays and feedback on my last few levels (thanks Inkwell for always getting right to them!):
Submerged Factory
Into the Darkness
Red or Green

Played 2 out of 3 (sorry, not a big fan of water levels)

Red Or Green: Man, I got pretty frustrated with that first section, I found it a pretty punishing introduction to the level. The concept was great though and I played through both paths, only finished the green though. Overall, fun times once I managed to master the first bit.

Into the Darkness: Not much to complain about here, quality level with some great sections (loved the ghost dodging bit).

Here's a new course I did. There three area where you have to make a choice which path to go next. Only one path is the correct in each area and the wrong choices can either send you backwards, into a trap you have to fight your way to get out of, an optional boss fight, one area that you're most likely die(but you do have a chance not to in which you'll be sent backwards). I want to put this on the somewhat hard side of things but could maybe easy to some. There are hints as to which way to go.

80E4-0000-0171-E8EC_full.jpg

Overall, I had fun with the puzzle but agree with the guy that said the boss section is a touch more painful than it needs to be. Good job though.

(Only part of my new stage is autoscroll -- if you feel like you need more autoscrolling goodness, my stage The Harrowing Haunted Hallway has yet to be completed since the bookmark site went up.)

Enjoyed it, as I do with most of your levels. The back and forth on the blue blocks bit had me sweating!

That's all for now, have bookmarked some more recent ones to play later.

Kamikaze Waters

Your level really needs a checkpoint, I think. The relative mobility and responsiveness of the ship in the water makes it pretty hard to avoid the bone fishes, even in the first part of the level.

Edit: Thanks for the feedback everybody. I guess there's a part of "luck" inherent to these bumpers that either makes it really easy or impossible to bounce properly.
Like, i never had any problems with the first bumper.

I'll keep that in mind for the (1-2)

Bydobob

Your level really needs a checkpoint, I think. The relative mobility and responsiveness of the ship in the water makes it pretty hard to avoid the bone fishes, even in the first part of the level.

Just posted on Miiverse actually. I didn't feel a checkpoint was right in a shmup level, but happy to put one back in if people continue to struggle. On the other hand someone has already completed this on one life, so what gives? Are people using charge shot enough. Makes life a whole lot easier in the second half.

As for the responsiveness thing, you're right, but level is designed with that in mind. Bonefish give you some notice before they attack when their eyes go red. Cheers for giving it a shot anyway.

J-Fr

Very easy course if you can find the cape (maybe you should put the cape in a more accessible location? For a 1-1 it could be quite hard without it). I enjoyed it very much!

Kamikaze Waters

Those flying bone fishes are the scariest SMM enemies.
I died in front of the flag pole. Wish there was a checkpoint near the fireflower.

The Wizard's Castle b1 (I'll come up with a better name later)

Fun level, I love parallel worlds level!
Same as above I wish the checkpoint was placed a bit earlier (but it might problematic too as this course is quite long).

Good level, I liked the fire elevator!

The series continues! This one was fun as had the previous ones been. A little short perhaps and somewhat plain looking, but overall a nice course!

Thank you. I always have an hard time with level decorations.

Really liked those levels! Nice introduction to the spin jump!

Thanks! I was always tempted to try your Planet series, I will give them a try tonight. (Only tried 2-4 a few days ago which I found very hard).

Mario Land 2 style would be so good!
Finally I came back to this game and now I'm adding your levels to my list, it's going to be a long day! Check out my new levels if you want:

Saving Koopa Bob
F6FE-0000-0177-96FF
BOOKMARK: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/F6FE-0000-0177-96FF

WVW69iwXJRICy-FX9M

Difficulty: Medium
Tags: Puzzle, Storytelling, Gimmick

Not only did Koopa Bob escape Bowser's prison, he also stole his Fire Clown Car and is going to blow up the entire Airship! Help him and let him help you reaching the way out!
-----------------------------------

Spin Time, Mushroom Vine!
3837-0000-0174-A395

WVW69iwG42sXTsf8Va

Difficulty: Easy/Medium
Tags: Propeller Mushroom, Classic

Since I loved the Propeller Mushroom in NSMBWii I tried to make a level of the same spirit. It's kinda easy but I think it's very fun. Multiple paths available!

My older levels:
Castle Rock -- 75D5-0000-0087-7729 (Defeat the Twhomp King!)
The Twins' Battleship -- 494F-0000-0071-5F8C (Multiple paths, multiple enemies!)
Tricky Tree -- 3A05-0000-004E-4BDB (My most starred level, it's a vertical giant tree)

I also made some levels from Mario Land 2, follow me in the game if you want to.

Bydobob

What's up fam

Forgotten Alien Craft
EC22-0000-0173-22F2.jpg

EC22-0000-0173-22F2

I read that this was difficult but had no problem completing on my first try. Nice level and theme, good platforming.

Quit being a bitch and play this underwater level:
24119864761_3dc147de44_z.jpg

Advanced masters use the trampoline for hyperswimming.

Enjoyed this, though it got a bit open and directionless after picking up the Fireflower. I wasn't quite sure which route to take. Hyperswimming is a cool touch, this mechanic isn't used enough.

Good platforming and nice boss battle at the end that doesn't outstay it's welcome.

New level,
this time it's underwater.
I usually hate underwater affairs so I tried to make something fun with a lil bit of challenge.
And of course plenty of secrets and shortcuts because I literally cannot stop myself >.<
There's a boss fight I wanted to make interesting with a kind of a puzzle but I feel like it's a bit messy the way it is currently.
Ghostly Gallion : 5DA0-0000-0176-DC52
WVW69iwTSU0uocOVka

5DA0-0000-0176-DC52_full.jpg

Detailed feedback on this one as I spend a lot of time on it and it could be a great level. The main drawback is the confusing layout, but it also has one game-ending part that needs fixing. On reaching the checkpoint you have opposing directional barriers. You want to go under where the checkpoint is but are not allowed. You're then not sure if you are swimming in the direction. The bigger problem starts when you restart at the checkpoint. You have a neat little puzzle room, but I found it impossible to get into the pipe as little Mario. I didn't at first work out the puzzle so went up and down the vines numerous times after activating the racoon costume, and took a couple of hits. I was then stuck and had to quit.

You've then got Bob-ombs dropping onto destructible blocks, confusing the player when all he needs to do is bash the other blocks with the racoon tail. On my first play however I didn't even make it to the puzzle room and the racoon suit because I hadn't died to be able to reach it! I therefore spent ages fruitlessly trying to chuck the Bob-ombs onto the blocks near the door. What I didn't realise was there was yet another path above the Bob-ombs that enables you to by-pass this section altogether. If you want players to go there it needs better sign-posting to divert players away from the Bob-ombs and door.

In the Ghost circle room there's no way of getting the star without taking a hit. No doubt you intended this but losing the racoon suit might make players think twice and send them on another journey. The sequence after that was pretty cool though.

Finally I died three times right at the end by the switches, which felt a little cheep (if you'll forgive the pun!). I didn't discover the raccoon suit because with 3 question blocks amidst a sea of Cheep Cheeps I figured the risk of hanging around and potentially having to activate all three for an unknown reward wasn't worth it. I'd do away with at least one of the question blocks to make sure players aren't tempted to miss it, or give players a platform to jump onto if they activate the P switches without the Raccoon suit.

Hope this is useful, and sorry if I sound a little too critical. I did enjoy the level enough to keep persisting!

Firstly, wanted to post my first level - Classic Underground Vibes. I've had a few plays and this is the only place I've put it so far so thanks for anyone that has had a go. No comments on this thread though so I though I'd post it one more time. If it interests the speedrunners / World Record chasers at all, the current WR is 24.6 seconds, it can definitely be done in under 20.

I read your post before playing and approached it as a speedrunner. It certainly works, although I was some 5 seconds short of the record. Hanging around for the mushroom certainly costs time, but is a neat risk/reward trick.

Simbabbad

It's disappointed that updates didn't bring something cool like this. Apparently, what we have is more or less all that will be. Shame, I really feel there is a lack of different enemies, bat enemies, flying enemies going left and right and enemies crawling on vines like in SMB2USA would really be nice.

Bladelaw

Unfortunately I've seen this too. I've had better luck trying to promote my levels to get them plays but basically if you don't show up on a stream or get featured by Nintendo you kind of have to live with not getting a lot of plays. The initial rush of folks playing the game has died down. The bookmark site makes it easy to at least share the levels.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't really balance it as I was more focused with throwing it together after not making something for so long. To tell you the truth, there was a second Dry Bones in that very area that I did remove because it was pretty rough, haha. During the finishing touches I was considering toning down that Bob-omb gauntlet at the end even more, but decided to leave it as is. You can kill the Dry Bones (along with the other enemies in that corridor) by tossing the Bob-omb at it, but it was still a pain for me too.

I only realized this could be done when I accidentally did it as I tried to boot Bob-ombs toward the ice blocks (before realizing I could pick them up once they'd been jumped on). I don't know all the intricacies of various Mario interactions because the only 2D Mario I've played before Mario Maker is Super Mario Bros. 1, which I've played on Virtual Console and still not beaten (can't get past World 8-2). So I've been doing a lot of learning about all the stuff you can do in these games just from building my own stuff and playing around.

I read that this was difficult but had no problem completing on my first try. Nice level and theme, good platforming.

i suck at mario confirmed

Bladelaw

I only realized this could be done when I accidentally did it as I tried to boot Bob-ombs toward the ice blocks (before realizing I could pick them up once they'd been jumped on). I don't know all the intricacies of various Mario interactions because the only 2D Mario I've played before Mario Maker is Super Mario Bros. 1, which I've played on Virtual Console and still not beaten (can't get past World 8-2). So I've been doing a lot of learning about all the stuff you can do in these games just from building my own stuff and playing around.

It's funny you mention 8-2. I did an almost perfect remake of it in Mario Maker as that's my hardest stage to finish as well.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/1455-0000-004E-0DD8

It was this that proved to me Mario's physics were different in Mario Maker vs OG Super Mario Bros.

Mael

Well now I know why I don't do water levels :p

Detailed feedback on this one as I spend a lot of time on it and it could be a great level. The main drawback is the confusing layout, but it also has one game-ending part that needs fixing. On reaching the checkpoint you have opposing directional barriers. You want to go under where the checkpoint is but are not allowed.

You should be able to access the checkpoint on both side of it.
The thing is that if you come back from the checkpoint you are on the longer path.
It's not elegant because for some reason I decided to make the alternate path the lower path which is something I never manage to make work...

You're then not sure if you are swimming in the direction. The bigger problem starts when you restart at the checkpoint. You have a neat little puzzle room, but I found it impossible to get into the pipe as little Mario. I didn't at first work out the puzzle so went up and down the vines numerous times after activating the racoon costume, and took a couple of hits. I was then stuck and had to quit.
You shouldn't be stuck, the point is to activate the switch and have a pow serve as the stepping stone for the pipe
I need to make this clearer I guess.
You've then got Bob-ombs dropping onto destructible blocks, confusing the player when all he needs to do is bash the other blocks with the racoon tail. On my first play however I didn't even make it to the puzzle room and the racoon suit because I hadn't died to be able to reach it! I therefore spent ages fruitlessly trying to chuck the Bob-ombs onto the blocks near the door. What I didn't realise was there was yet another path above the Bob-ombs that enables you to by-pass this section altogether. If you want players to go there it needs better sign-posting to divert players away from the Bob-ombs and door.
The bob omb needs to go, it serves no purpose except cosmetic, it literally serve no other purpose but give a little cosmetic flair.
It's useless and confusing, you won't see it in the update :p
The path above the bob omb is the regular path, it's not obvious enough that also need rework.
The door is the reward for keeping the leaf, that needs rework because it's not clear you have to keep it.
Even worse if you go through the quickest path you can't get it thus punishing players for getting the shortcut.
In the Ghost circle room there's no way of getting the star without taking a hit. No doubt you intended this but losing the racoon suit might make players think twice and send them on another journey. The sequence after that was pretty cool though.
?
the Ghost circle usually have a hole in it, you just have to wait to pass through the hole
I guess I need to position the door better to not have the pacing screech to a halt there.
Finally I died three times right at the end by the switches, which felt a little cheep (if you'll forgive the pun!). I didn't discover the raccoon suit because with 3 question blocks amidst a sea of Cheep Cheeps I figured the risk of hanging around and potentially having to activate all three for an unknown reward wasn't worth it. I'd do away with at least one of the question blocks to make sure players aren't tempted to miss it, or give players a platform to jump onto if they activate the P switches without the Raccoon suit.
You're right that the reward needs to either be better to make it worth it or just have the blocks in a safe space.
Although the idea is to get rid of the canon BEFORE activating the p switch, the racoon tail isn't supposed to be any help here.
If you haven't gotten rid of the canon, it's supposed to kill you as one last trap for the level.
Hope this is useful, and sorry if I sound a little too critical. I did enjoy the level enough to keep persisting!
Very useful thanks for the feedback!
There's also a boss fight that I'd like some feedback if you can I would need advice on that to see if it works or not.
I'll try to incorporate the feedback in an update by the end of the week (probably today actually).

KooopaKid

Banned
I haven't received any feedback from my latest level yet and I'm wondering if I'm not making my levels way too difficult recently (Planet 2-4 for instance).

Here's the latest one:

Super Mario Planets - Planet 2-5 :

4D19-0000-0175-91B4.jpg

Previous levels:

Super Mario Planets - Planet 2-4 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/F061-0000-0125-3206
F061-0000-0125-3206_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 2-3 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/6417-0000-0104-450B
6417-0000-0104-450B_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 2-2 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/BF46-0000-00E6-1C99
BF46-0000-00E6-1C99_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 2-1 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/8C82-0000-00D8-5AD8
8C82-0000-00D8-5AD8_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-8 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/724C-0000-00D8-20EC
724C-0000-00D8-20EC_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-7 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/843C-0000-00D8-1C3A
843C-0000-00D8-1C3A_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-6 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/AFC4-0000-00D8-1A94
AFC4-0000-00D8-1A94_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-5 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E075-0000-00D8-0EAB
E075-0000-00D8-0EAB_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-4 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E821-0000-00D8-0939
E821-0000-00D8-0939_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-3 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/D319-0000-00D8-01A3
D319-0000-00D8-01A3_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-2 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E400-0000-00D7-FE58
E400-0000-00D7-FE58_full.jpg

Super Mario Planets - Planet 1-1 :
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/A058-0000-00D7-FA3D
A058-0000-00D7-FA3D_full.jpg

Thanks!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
It's funny you mention 8-2. I did an almost perfect remake of it in Mario Maker as that's my hardest stage to finish as well.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/1455-0000-004E-0DD8

It was this that proved to me Mario's physics were different in Mario Maker vs OG Super Mario Bros.

Hey, cool, I can practice, LoL. Thinking back on it, I may have reached 8-3, like, once. I should try again now that I'm a little better with Mario physics after Mario Maker — hopefully the differences you mention aren't too vast.

I haven't received any feedback from my latest level yet and I'm wondering if I'm not making my levels way too difficult recently (Planet 2-4).

Here's the latest one:

Super Mario Planets - Planet 2-5 :

4D19-0000-0175-91B4.jpg

Bookmarked your latest one; I'll try it out tonight if I have some time after getting home from playing X-Wing.

Bydobob

You shouldn't be stuck, the point is to activate the switch and have a pow serve as the stepping stone for the pipe

Yeah I figured this out but still couldn't enter as small Mario. Maybe I wasn't positioned close enough?

the Ghost circle usually have a hole in it, you just have to wait to pass through the hole
I guess I need to position the door better to not have the pacing screech to a halt there.

They certainly do and I'm beginning to think this bit was my fault for not waiting long enough to see it. Apologies.

Look forward to playing the updated level.

Not necessarily. Some levels just gel with players.

Mael

Yeah I figured this out but still couldn't enter as small Mario. Maybe I wasn't positioned close enough?

That may be true, I'll check just to be sure, it'll be patched out.

They certainly do and I'm beginning to think this bit was my fault for not waiting long enough to see it. Apologies.

Look forward to playing the updated level

Still it's a bit confusing I'll rework it.
Thanks again for the feedback I'll update it soon.

Inkwell

Banned
Here's my final beta for the wizard's castle. If I don't have any major complaints I'll just re-upload it with a full title. I've tried to make changes for every single piece of criticism I've gotten for the first beta. I'm the most worried about checkpoint placement. It's still bad, but until they allow for more checkpoints there's not too much else I can do.

The Wizard's Castle b2

A598-0000-0178-7894.jpg

A598-0000-0178-7894_full.jpg

Also, almost no one has played my ghost house:

I made a Super Mario Bros. 3 style 1-1 course and was looking for any feedback. Anyone that's played one of my SMB1 style courses knows I try to keep it authentic, but I was wondering how this one felt. I have a lot more experience playing SMB1 so I'm not positive if this feels off or not.

0DF2-0000-0178-3477

Top Bottom