• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

eviltasan

I love the swinging chain chomp mechanic so made a whole level around it. I figure underground is the where the chain chomps live :)

As usual I'm aiming for fun and good aesthetics rather than difficulty, enjoy!

Title: Chain Chomp Romp
Style: SMW
Code: 8CF7-0000-01D1-7311
Difficulty: Normal
Bookmark:https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/8CF7-0000-01D1-7311

8CF7-0000-01D1-7311_full.jpg

Simbabbad

FORTRESS OF CONFUSION

If you like exploration, this one gives the impression its pretty opened up but there's only one effective way to pass the fortress. Not too hard but you'll need a good deal of the timer to complete it. For the ones who likes a fortress, memorisation, exploration and figuring things out.
It's a good metroidvania level, but it's IMO too long/complicated for its own good. I made it to both checkpoints, but I confess I eventually gave up: the main issue is the timer, it's stressful, and when you die, having stuff you unlocked being locked again adds to the confusion. I also made several puzzle/exploration levels (my Metroid Resurgence series, Topsy-turvy Waluigi), but here it's very hard to mentally map where you are and where stuff is because of all the doors and pipes. It'd IMO benefit from a bit more simplicity. I did star it anyway because there are many good things here.

I love the swinging chain chomp mechanic so made a whole level around it. I figure underground is the where the chain chomps live :)

Absolutely fantastic fun. The pacing, the creative ways in which you use the chain chomps, the visuals... great job!

Thanks for the impressions on my last few levels. I got an upsetting health diagnosis a few weeks back and it took me out of the game for a little bit, but I'm trying to deal and I made a Super Mario World style Ghost House a few days ago if anyone wants to check it out.
Extremely nice flow, here. I love how you manage to make the mansion very creepy with a very simple visual style, it works very, very well.

I hope things will get better for you. Sometimes, keeping your mind busy with fun stuff helps.

Inkwell

Banned
FORTRESS OF CONFUSION

If you like exploration, this one gives the impression its pretty opened up but there's only one effective way to pass the fortress. Not too hard but you'll need a good deal of the timer to complete it. For the ones who likes a fortress, memorisation, exploration and figuring things out.

CBFF-0000-01DA-981E.jpg

CBFF-0000-01DA-981E_full.jpg

Have fun! I would love to have any feedback.
And now its my turn to go play your levels :)

This was really good outside of a couple of issues. The level was a little long, and I didn't like that I had to redo some sections if I started from a checkpoint. I ran out of time once, and had something like 70 seconds left when I finished it. Overall I think it's a pretty strong metroidvania style level.

Bookmark:https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/8CF7-0000-01D1-7311

8CF7-0000-01D1-7311_full.jpg

Very fun level! It's well balanced and has good pacing.

Hey MarioMakerGAF,

Thanks for the impressions on my last few levels. I got an upsetting health diagnosis a few weeks back and it took me out of the game for a little bit, but I'm trying to deal and I made a Super Mario World style Ghost House a few days ago if anyone wants to check it out.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope things go well.

Your level is pretty good! It has all the ghost house trappings without being too maze-like and annoying.

jepense

Your new level is a bit tough. The first part is fine for the most part, though I'm not sure how I got through the last part with all the descending bob-ombs unscathed. Some seemed really low.

I think the main problem comes into play when the bob-ombs start blowing up the platform. It's very hard to gauge what is going on. I was very unsure of what to do, and wasn't sure what bombs were close enough to kill me. It's a really neat level, but I think it's a bit more tough than you intended.

So, I rebuilt the level. It's functionally similar but the whole layout is completely new, so I gave it a new name as well:
Explosive escape
9B10-0000-01DB-1BEC.jpg

The first part is fairly similar except I flipped it vertically: now the bombs come from below so you don't have to watch out for jumping into them. I also added a solid column in the middle to break the long sequence of disappearing platforms. It's considerably easier.

The second part where you ride a snake block on rails is completely new. I removed almost all of the bomb hazards - bombs now only clear the route for you. Instead, the hazards are all related to staying on the ride. They are maybe slightly easier than in the previous version, but more importantly the hazards should be much better telegraphed now, because you see the rails. Give it a go!

Ranger X

It's a good metroidvania level, but it's IMO too long/complicated for its own good. I made it to both checkpoints, but I confess I eventually gave up: the main issue is the timer, it's stressful, and when you die, having stuff you unlocked being locked again adds to the confusion. I also made several puzzle/exploration levels (my Metroid Resurgence series, Topsy-turvy Waluigi), but here it's very hard to mentally map where you are and where stuff is because of all the doors and pipes. It'd IMO benefit from a bit more simplicity. I did star it anyway because there are many good things here.

Yeah, in all honesty this level is quite an experiment event though I tried to polished it to the maximum. I went all out with the complexity so I expect quite the backslash and probably a "Super Hard" rating on Super Mario Bookmarks as a consequence. I guess its for people really love memorisation and exploration. Hopefully they are also patient. ;)

javadoze

YES! YEEEEEEEEEEEES!

NEVER AGAIN!

WVW69i7Vdi0e4swhCG

I'm surprised I barely used the home button trick for this last run and only for the second level.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Soooo... I just got the game.
What do I do now? I want to play and not build :)

Do I need to take my Amiibos out if I'm not
(yet, no time to spend on it atm) interested in the building aspect?
Is there a "story" mode? Sorry, the op's crashing my phone's browser, lol

jholmes

There isn't a story mode per se but there is 10-Mario mode. Those levels are on the disc and they're good.

The other main game mode outside of creation is the 100-Mario Challenge, where you encounter levels at random (lots are awful). Every time you clear a set of 100-Mario levels, you get a costume you can use with the mystery mushroom in creating Super Mario Bros. stages (costumes like Luigi, Pac-Man, Samus... there's a lot). So no, you will gain nothing out of using your amiibos if you don't want to make levels. But on the other hand, if you want to unlock the whole character costume board through 100-Mario mode (just as a personal goal on your part), you might want to use a few of them to save you a few runs through 100-Mario Challenge.

As for what else you should do, obviously you should use the Bookmark site and play the levels in this thread! :) My levels are all here. I also have a community spotlight list of hidden-gem levels I personally recommend, and I'll share that here again:

Touch Buzzy, Get Dizzy by Chris
Spiny Mine Glacier by Nick
Beetlemania by Slate
The Runner by Novakobx22
Shippo de Ban Ban! Goomba Coaster by Shin
Rosalina's Night at Bowser Tower by Picard
Infiltrate! Bowser City! by MARUPON
Cavern Of Lost Secrets by ZEROMOUS
Goomba's Safety Hat Emporium by Zeus
Flying Munitions Cache by Mercury C.
Super Mario Bros 2 : World 4-2 by SLA83
The Great Riders of Chomponia by Joe
Sunshine by Elliot
Cannon Crush Rush by KBK

If you do decide to try level creation, don't be afraid to share!

jepense

Most people in this thread are building their own levels and post them here. These are in general much better on average than a random level, so play them. We link to the bookmark service, and if you log in there, you can use it to bookmark levels to play. They appear in game in Course World > Courses > Bookmark. You can also tap on the mii of the creator in game (or in the bookmark service) to get a list of his/her other levels. I suggest you play a couple of levels from the active posters in this thread. After a couple of levels you will usually get an idea of what kinds of courses that person creates, and then you can play more from the people whose taste matches yours.

If you play a level that you enjoy, always give it a star. Stars allow builders to upload more levels and make them happy. (Of course you don't need to star every level.) And when you play levels from this thread, please post comments and critique here. Also link to good levels of other people you come across.

VandalD

I got lost on this one. I'll have to go back to it when I'm more in the mood for this kind of level. There are a lot of pipes, so it was hard to remember where things were that I could maybe get past with the latest power. I guess that's part of the point. I got the shoe and then wandered around until I died from the timer. I think I also somehow re-hit the first checkpoint after hitting the second one.

With the unfortunate way the camera works in SMM, the vertical section doesn't work as well as the rest of the level, but I still enjoyed running it enough to repeat it to try to get a good completion time. After a few extra runs, I managed to get past the pipes that shoot chain chomps fast enough to avoid them shooting any out at me. Nice use of chain chomps.

Hey MarioMakerGAF,

I had fun speeding through this one too, though I always have trouble with the big single block stairs you can't go over in one jump. The hidden blocks necessary to progress are done pretty well. They're obvious when you stop to think about them, but the first one in particular is easy to skip to your detriment. The Kameks are a little out of place, but it's otherwise appropriately ghost housey. Good luck to you with your health things.

So, I rebuilt the level. It's functionally similar but the whole layout is completely new, so I gave it a new name as well:
Explosive escape

Liked this level a lot. Great combo of tracks, breakable blocks, and bombs. There's enough pressure to keep you moving forward, and just enough warning for incoming threats in order to avoid them. Not usually my kind of thing, as it's effectively an auto-scroller, but this is very well made.

Nice bits of platforming in this level. The weakest part of the level is the P-block section. I get that you were going for the whole appearing/disappearing blocks from Mega Man thing, but it just doesn't work as well here with the long wait time for the P-block to wear off. It's not a big issue though since you didn't overuse it. Overall really good level.

I liked this. Very good ideas. I was extra cautious with the big beetle shell. I was expecting it to bounce back to hit me. Had to go back twice to get another to break more blocks. Not a problem with the level, just a thing that happened with me.

TheMoon

What you do is you put the game disc in and see for yourself lol.

Inkwell

Banned
Explosive escape
9B10-0000-01DB-1BEC.jpg

The first part is fairly similar except I flipped it vertically: now the bombs come from below so you don't have to watch out for jumping into them. I also added a solid column in the middle to break the long sequence of disappearing platforms. It's considerably easier.

The second part where you ride a snake block on rails is completely new. I removed almost all of the bomb hazards - bombs now only clear the route for you. Instead, the hazards are all related to staying on the ride. They are maybe slightly easier than in the previous version, but more importantly the hazards should be much better telegraphed now, because you see the rails. Give it a go!

The level felt much better. There's some tricky sections on the block snake. The "bowl" area in the level screenshot was tough. It wouldn't let me jump with the way the blocks moved around the curve, but I just made sure to not fall into it again. The only other problem area for me was when the block snake was destroyed. It's clear what to do when you see it, but I think people will die there once or twice anyway (it's not a big deal). I had timing differences where either 1 or 2 blocks wouldn't get blown up, which I'm not sure was intentional or not, but I think it changed depending on where I was standing on the snake when the bombs loaded in. It might confuse some people, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have a feeling your level will get an "expert" difficulty rating, but it may be one of those where the difficulty rating fluctuates between "normal" and "expert" depending on the day.

RagnarokX

Someone found a way to get stuck in my course, so while fixing it I made it more fun as well. The rooms are more challenging and getting to the second checkpoint without dying will net you a yoshi! Can you finish with both yoshi and the spiny helmet?

Dungeon Duplicity

45AD-0000-01DE-5EE6

Edited: 02-26-16
This level is quite a spectacle. It's hectic at times but not very difficult due to all the powerups. The machinery you've built is quite impressive, but on the other hand it takes some screen real estate so that the actual play rooms are fairly small, limiting what you can do. It's fun, but it's also a little bit long.
The only part with small rooms is the first part, and that's not due to the machinery taking up space. The only thing the player needs to do is jump/crouch to guide Bowser Jr, so the rest of the room is for aesthetics. I could have made the cells bigger, but that section is easy as it is. It's sort of a tutorial.

The hardest section to make was the middle part where Bowser Jr chases you from below and tosses shells at you. The fire junior clown car is very slow and making sure the player couldn't despawn Bowser Jr. took most of the effort. Also making sure Bowser Jr didn't kill himself. The prop budget put up a fight, too.

Glad you enjoyed it. :D

Ranger X

Well, looks like I was inspired. I immediately made a new level !

KURIBO'S SAVAGE ISLANDS

This level is bit different of what I did before (well, I always try to make things a bit different I should say) but this one is much more "theme" based that my usual level. You can try and survive the hostile jungle or you can make your life easier aiming for the sky. The level is simple, no sub levels, and contains 100 coins.

Inkwell

Banned
I've got 2 new levels today. Both happen to be NSMB castle themed.

The Dry Bones Stronghold

8076-0000-01DD-6950.jpg

Difficulty: Easy or Normal

This is actually a major revamping of one of my original levels. It's a fairly typical castle level, but I wanted to release something to counteract the terribleness of the other level here.

Wall Jump Through the Fiery Keep

0130-0000-01DD-6FE9.jpg

Difficulty: Expert?

This level started out way more difficult than it ended up. It's a bit unbalanced too. This is one of those levels that will take a bit of practice and memorization, but hopefully it won't be too horrible.

EDIT: It seems the level is even more difficult and frustrating than I originally thought! Here's some tips since I actually want people to be able to complete the level:

1. It may actually be best to download the level and practice a few sections. I don't think this is actually necessary, but trying to get the timing on something like the moving block wall jump can be extremely tedious playing the level normally.
2. Speaking of the moving block wall jump, it's actually very easy. For the first wall jump, use the wall first. You wall jump after you've slid a little below the bottom fireball. rinse repeat all the way up.
3. You need to use your air twirl quite frequently. Maybe even get in the habit of using it when you don't need to.
4. There's a neat time saving short cut at the very end if you manage to remain as big Mario until the end. Originally it was only going to be a one chance thing for speed runners, but I've actually added a hidden block with a mushroom near the checkpoint as a last minute addition.
5. Except for one section (block snakes), the level is built for speed running. There's a section immediately after the first checkpoint that is fairly difficult. Try to just go for it immediately instead of waiting and trying to get the timing down.

Model 500

Thought I'd share two of my latest levels here, since it's been a while I've posted:

In & Out of My Shell!
526C-0000-011E-98C0
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/526C-0000-011E-98C0
526C-0000-011E-98C0_full.jpg

Spinner's Delight!
B89C-0000-01AD-1895
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/B89C-0000-01AD-1895
B89C-0000-01AD-1895_full.jpg

Both of these represent my current sweet spot for Mario gaming. They're inspired by Panga, Mitch, Carl, etc. style speedrunning levels, but in contrast don't require any advanced skills such as shell jumps, spring jumps, etc. No invisible blocks either. They also both introduce new gameplay mechanics / ideas to regular players. I would consider these very difficult, but definitely doable for any seasoned mario player who enjoys a tough challenge, fun gameplay flow and tight spots.

Here's video playthroughs of both of them (spoiler warning):

In & Out of My Shell!
Clear by: Familyofgamerz (watch out for your ears in the end)
https://youtu.be/_igfmmxbqmY

Spinner's Delight!
Clear by: Eem Supreme
https://youtu.be/mGxHmD2kczo

Simbabbad

I hadn't realized this thread has slowed down that much. Oh, well, I finished and published the last chapter of "Third Party Quest". Last reminder of its pitch:

Tired of kidnapping Peach to have Mario save her right away, Bowser finally decided to kidnap Mario himself, lock him in a cell, then wall off that cell. Worried of not seeing him at the Smash Bros. dojo, Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega Man come to Mario's rescue: they'll go on a quest for Bowser's castle to free Mario from his prison and help him get revenge on the Koopa King.

This time, Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega Man finally join and attack Bowser's castle to free Mario during a great finale:

This level is clearly my favourite of the series, first because I love Bowser's Castle, and then because using four very different characters each with their own logic and worlds in the same level (while still following Bowser's Castle logic and settings) was extremely fun.

The level is hard but not too hard. It has two checkpoints.

Screen captures:

----

Feedback time:

KURIBO'S SAVAGE ISLANDS
Nice looking and pleasant, but the overabundance of Lakitus means you spend most of your time stealing clouds in the air.

The Dry Bones Stronghold
A bit too easy IMO, but pleasant to play. The NSMBU castle looks are really good.

Well, that one on the other hand wasn't my thing at all. That "die & retry" design would work if the player started right after he dies like in Super Meat Boy, but here the delay made me quit very quick.

----

You can check my levels in:

- My (French) blog
- SUPER MARIO MAKER BOOKMARK

Dimentios

I really need to go back to the game (both playing and making). My list of bookmarked level is long af.

In the meantime I got featured yet another time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0i4r0VaWTw

17 more stars and Sawblade Walker, my "newest" level, is the one with the most stars with over 700 stars (like Golden Fortress and Carnivore Hollows). This is insane.

Just too busy to play the game and play/make in the moment, but hopefully I will find the time in the future. Nintendo also needs to launch a serious update, to keep people playing imho.

I really need to go back to the game (both playing and making). My list of bookmarked level is long af.

In the meantime I got featured yet another time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0i4r0VaWTw

17 more stars and Sawblade Walker, my "newest" level, is the one with the most stars with over 700 stars (like Golden Fortress and Carnivore Hollows). This is insane.

Just too busy to play the game and play/make in the moment, but hopefully I will find the time in the future. Nintendo also needs to launch a serious update, to keep people playing imho.

700 stars? Jeeze! I though I had a good amount of stars on my one level that has 80. Tell me your secret. Ha ha ha

Inkwell

Banned
A bit too easy IMO, but pleasant to play. The NSMBU castle looks are really good.
Nice level, I played it on stream here

Thanks! The level was meant to be really easy and basic. It's really neat to actually watch someone play one of my levels too.

Well, that one on the other hand wasn't my thing at all. That "die & retry" design would work if the player started right after he dies like in Super Meat Boy, but here the delay made me quit very quick.
On the other hand wall jumps levels are not my cup of tea.

I'm sorry you guys didn't like it but that's totally understandable. The truth is I've been watching way too many 100 Mario expert runs and difficult levels on twitch. I wouldn't be lying if I said I always scan the Mario Maker section and hope to see one of my levels in the thumbnails. All of my other "expert" levels are garbage, or honestly shouldn't be ranked as "expert" difficulty. I just wanted to make something that I thought was incredibly tough but still fair.

It's only been up for a day, but no one has completed it yet. This is definitely one of those cases where the level is way easier for me since I already know all the tricks and strategies. I can fly right through it since I built it for speed running. I think I may have to edit my post and list a few tips for playing the level.

EDIT: Here's what I've added to my original post:

1. It may actually be best to download the level and practice a few sections. I don't think this is actually necessary, but trying to get the timing on something like the moving block wall jump can be extremely tedious playing the level normally.
2. Speaking of the moving block wall jump, it's actually very easy. For the first wall jump, use the wall first. You wall jump after you've slid a little below the bottom fireball. rinse repeat all the way up.
3. You need to use your air twirl quite frequently. Maybe even get in the habit of using it when you don't need to.
4. There's a neat time saving short cut at the very end if you manage to remain as big Mario until the end. Originally it was only going to be a one chance thing for speed runners, but I've actually added a hidden block with a mushroom near the checkpoint as a last minute addition.
5. Except for one section (block snakes), the level is built for speed running. There's a section immediately after the first checkpoint that is fairly difficult. Try to just go for it immediately instead of waiting and trying to get the timing down.

jepense

The level felt much better. There's some tricky sections on the block snake. The "bowl" area in the level screenshot was tough. It wouldn't let me jump with the way the blocks moved around the curve, but I just made sure to not fall into it again. The only other problem area for me was when the block snake was destroyed. It's clear what to do when you see it, but I think people will die there once or twice anyway (it's not a big deal). I had timing differences where either 1 or 2 blocks wouldn't get blown up, which I'm not sure was intentional or not, but I think it changed depending on where I was standing on the snake when the bombs loaded in. It might confuse some people, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have a feeling your level will get an "expert" difficulty rating, but it may be one of those where the difficulty rating fluctuates between "normal" and "expert" depending on the day.
Thanks again for playtesting. I too feel the new version is better. Not necessarily because it's easier but because it's simpler. The problem with the curved tracks is probably due to Mario skipping between the blocks, and not being able to jump when in air. Well, it's good to know and avoid in the future.

The snake has to make zigzags between the pillars because the bombs need time to detonate. I use a couple of winged bombs in the end to allow the snake to go relatively directly, but there if you stand at the tail end of the snake, the bombs will spawn late and destroy the first blocks of the snake. That same issue occurs with the last bombs that destroy the snake - their position will depend on whether you stand at the front or at the back. This is something that can't really be fixed except by making the snake very short. Almost all of my later levels are at around 10% clear rate, most being labeled expert. I have some earlier levels that have a clearly higher clear rate, and maybe I should make a couple of easier levels for a change.

The Dry Bones Stronghold

This is actually a major revamping of one of my original levels. It's a fairly typical castle level, but I wanted to release something to counteract the terribleness of the other level here.

Wall Jump Through the Fiery Keep

Difficulty: Expert?

This level started out way more difficult than it ended up. It's a bit unbalanced too. This is one of those levels that will take a bit of practice and memorization, but hopefully it won't be too horrible.
Dry Bones is straightforward, enjoyable, and not too difficult. Wall jumps on the other hand is way too difficult. I really like wall jumping, but the beginning of the level is just brutal with no powerups and hazards with very small margin of error. At least you could include coins to show a suggested trajectory, and a mushroom would be nice too.

Mega Thwomp World 3-3: Hydraulic
This time it's an underwater level, it was actually the first level I made in this series. Difficulty is easy.
This is a fun swimming level! The common problem with swimming levels is that Mario is slow underwater and dodging fast enemies is more frustrating than fun. Thwomps on the other hand are slow and predictable, which makes dodging them quite pleasant. You also nicely mix thwomps that need to be passed below and above.

Hey MarioMakerGAF,

Sorry to hear, I hope you all the best. I enjoyed the level a lot. The puzzles are fair and the hidden blocks are telegraphed quite well. The part with moving platforms and boos at the end is a bit troublesome though. At first when I got to the last door, I thought the P-switch was in one of the blocks before the moving platforms and ended up backtracking there and went through the area three times (which is ok, that happens in ghost houses). However, the platforms are really far away from each other and the boos can end up in positions that block your jumps. I wouldn't get rid of the boos, but put the platforms closer together so that there is more room to make the jumps.

Getting back into this game. I've decided to make worlds of casual, mostly traditional levels in the #-# format that start off very easy and slowly ramp up the difficulty while introducing different enemy types. Only 2 worlds so far since it'll be awhile until I get the allowed room to upload any more, but I wanted to see if anyone here thinks they're any good, especially since I'll probably accidentally ramp up the difficulty a bit too much too quickly. Constructive feedback appreciated!

I played 2-4, 3-1, 3-2. These are very enjoyable basic levels that focus on basic platforming instead of gimmicks, and as for difficulty ,I think they could be in worlds 2 and 3. I especially liked how in the airship level you had lots of coins in nooks off the main path. I remember as a kid I dreaded every cannon on a ship but loved the metagame of trying to catch every coin in the level before they were lost to the autoscroll.

Mega Man was obviously much easier to adapt to Super Mario Maker than Pac-Man. The level is logically an airship level, but I tried to differentiate it a lot from Sonic's level. This theme really allows some great effects. Of course, the level is pretty hard (it's Mega Man), but it's still quite accessible, with two checkpoints. The level design was mostly thought to be played without using the dash button (to stay close to Mega Man), but obviously, I took its usage into account.

This levels captures the Mega Man feel quite nicely. It's also quite difficult, probably frustratingly so for the average player. I think you should deal out a lot more mushrooms. Mega Man can absorb a lot of damage while Mario can't, so if you scale the number of hazards to match a Mega Man stage, you should also give the option to suck up some hits.

This was really fun! The difficulty is nice and many of the obstacles look more difficult than they are. Still, you might want to start with a bit of a tutorial with easy obstacles. Now it's pretty much the same difficulty throughout.

Simbabbad

This levels captures the Mega Man feel quite nicely. It's also quite difficult, probably frustratingly so for the average player. I think you should deal out a lot more mushrooms. Mega Man can absorb a lot of damage while Mario can't, so if you scale the number of hazards to match a Mega Man stage, you should also give the option to suck up some hits.
The problem, then, would be the mind-bogglingly long invincibility period after you take a hit. If I did what you say, you could run through the level without bothering to avoid any enemy, no joke. It's actually a major issue in this game.

Apparently, that level IS difficult according to statistics, but people really try to beat it, and it's very beatable (1/4th of people did beat it so far eventually). I guess I'll just accept that level is the hardest I've designed yet.

The funny thing is, it really doesn't give me any trouble at all. The trick is NOT to use the jump button.

J-Fr

I'm sorry you guys didn't like it but that's totally understandable. The truth is I've been watching way too many 100 Mario expert runs and difficult levels on twitch. I wouldn't be lying if I said I always scan the Mario Maker section and hope to see one of my levels in the thumbnails. All of my other "expert" levels are garbage, or honestly shouldn't be ranked as "expert" difficulty. I just wanted to make something that I thought was incredibly tough but still fair.

I didn't meant to say it that way.
It's not your level that is not my cup of tea, it's wall jumping sections as I tend to perform badly in those.

jepense

It's only been up for a day, but no one has completed it yet. This is definitely one of those cases where the level is way easier for me since I already know all the tricks and strategies. I can fly right through it since I built it for speed running. I think I may have to edit my post and list a few tips for playing the level.

EDIT: Here's what I've added to my original post:

The problem, then, would be the mind-bogglingly long invincibility period after you take a hit. If I did what you say, you could run through the level without bothering to avoid any enemy, no joke. It's actually a major issue in this game.

Apparently, that level IS difficult according to statistics, but people really try to beat it, and it's very beatable (1/4th of people did beat it so far eventually). I guess I'll just accept that level is the hardest I've designed yet.

The funny thing is, it really doesn't give me any trouble at all. The trick is NOT to use the jump button.

I can also clear all my stages without trouble, but as the creator you can't really judge your own design because you have explicit knowledge of all the design details and you have practiced how to beat each part of the level separately. That's why I wasn't surprised my latest level was initially too difficult.

I mean, you have an idea of how the level should play and you bend it to work that way when building. The player sees your design and gets some idea of how he should approach it, but it may well be different to your intent. Now there are a few options:
Maybe your design is forgiving enough that the level can be cleared in a variety of ways, and it's ok the player didn't know what you intended exactly - this is an easy level. Or maybe you train the player to think as you do - this is a level with a good learning curve. Or, you leave the player to figure out how to do it by trial an error - this is a hard level. Trial and error can be fun too, but then the player has to get to the hard part quickly to try again, or else it becomes frustrating.

The context is also different in Mario Maker compared to a Mario game. In a game designed by Nintendo, the player can expect the levels to be fair and he/she is rewarded by a new level upon completion, so there is a reason to stick with a difficult level. In Mario Maker, on the other hand, you can just skip any level and you have no guarantee that a level isn't trollishly hard. This can make the average player quit a level that feels frustrating after a few tries, if it's not fun. The length of the levels varies a lot too, so it's often hard to judge if you made it almost to the end or if there is a lot more to come.

Simbabbad

Or, you leave the player to figure out how to do it by trial an error - this is a hard level. Trial and error can be fun too, but then the player has to get to the hard part quickly to try again, or else it becomes frustrating.
I don't think my level is trial and error, what there is to do is very plain and simple in concept. It's just that some people can't really do it.

Ranger X

Ok I updated my lastest 2 levels thanks to feedback (and also my own discontent!)
I think the levels did improved (especially the fortress). I invite you guys to play them again and sorry to make you update your bookmarks if you hadn't played it yet!

FORTRESS OF CONFUSION (v2)

- Less backtracking
- Certain parts are now less error prone
- New checkpoint placement (better now)
- New parts/shortcuts
- Rearranged some deco

WVW69i7lTFUXjymkuK

KURIBO'S SAVAGE ISLANDS (v2)

- Less Lakitu
- Path on the ground made easier (still hard)
- Path in the sky made harder
- Removed some Hammer Brothers
- Checkpoint
- Added sheep-sheep

WVW69i7l2bgb1Iu2zU

Inkwell

Banned
I hadn't realized this thread has slowed down that much. Oh, well, I finished and published the last chapter of "Third Party Quest". Last reminder of its pitch:

Tired of kidnapping Peach to have Mario save her right away, Bowser finally decided to kidnap Mario himself, lock him in a cell, then wall off that cell. Worried of not seeing him at the Smash Bros. dojo, Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega Man come to Mario's rescue: they'll go on a quest for Bowser's castle to free Mario from his prison and help him get revenge on the Koopa King.

This time, Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man finally join and attack Bowser's castle to free Mario during a great finale (D03A-0000-01DE-1B77) (image links to Super Mario Maker Bookmark):

Very enjoyable level and a nice end to the series. The only issue I had was the first section. I had no clue which path to take, and the arrows made things a little more confusing. They seemed to be used for both guidance and telling you when conveyors were moving left. I'm pretty sure I was supposed to keep max speed and fight the left moving conveyors, but it never felt quite right. The rest of the level was great.

Since I completed a series, I'm now working on some old one I abandoned after only one chapter, "Mario Kart Assault". I edited its first chapter, changing a few stuff and adding a checkpoint:

It's a straight action/platforming level with Mario Kart costumes and a vehicle theme.

This was a really fun level. It's one of those that's decently difficult, but completely fair. I love the theme as well.

Ok I updated my lastest 2 levels thanks to feedback (and also my own discontent!)
I think the levels did improved (especially the fortress). I invite you guys to play them again and sorry to make you update your bookmarks if you hadn't played it yet!

- Less backtracking
- Certain parts are now less error prone
- New checkpoint placement (better now)
- New parts/shortcuts
- Rearranged some deco

WVW69i7lTFUXjymkuK

I don't quite remember everything from the original version, but this did seem to go a little smoother. I still ran out of time though. This level would be nearly perfect if nintendo allowed for an infinite time setting. I think having a time limit on levels is completely stupid in the first place, and only works when you want people to rush through the level as a very specific game mechanic.

There are a few other issues. The truth is after I ran out of time I downloaded the level to make sure I knew the route. Starting from a checkpoint is still a pain. Even if it's not very difficult to continue from there, I think it's the players' perception of it that matters. It feels like there's too much to re-do. On top of that, new players will have difficulty remembering where everything is because it's still a little too maze-like. I think this is worse when you get to the boss battle. If you die there, I think there's way too much to re-do.

I don't want this post to sound like a downer because I genuinely enjoy the level. I also know you have a habit of making tons of level revisions, but I think you have this the best it can be without some major retooling to the point of it being a whole new level.

KURIBO'S SAVAGE ISLANDS (v2)

- Less Lakitu
- Path on the ground made easier (still hard)
- Path in the sky made harder
- Removed some Hammer Brothers
- Checkpoint
- Added sheep-sheep

WVW69i7l2bgb1Iu2zU

I didn't have a chance to give feedback on the original version, but you addressed everything I would have said about it. This version feels super balanced, and both the land and sky routes seem close to the same difficulty. Most people will end up taking the upper route. It allows you to completely avoid lakitus, but I think people are also conditioned to do this anyway. Upper routes usually tend to be the easy or secret route.

Ranger X

Sorry, am very new to MM.
Can I only remove bookmarks from the website?

As far as I know, yes.

--------------------------------------

FEEDBACK TIME

Spinbounce Spikeway
E368-0000-015A-8920.jpg

Ok this one was a little bit too hardcore for me. I didn't have the attention span to complete it while I was probably able to do it. Not my type of "hard" but I see the effort put into the level. I prefer Perpetual Boovement (and I actually completed it).

Spelunky Caves
BD9D-0000-016B-6E55.jpg

Ok I liked the level but there are things I can't help but think should have been done otherwise. Most of the challenges are the "sides" of the levels and the main path is basically just a walk towards the green door (almost). I would have hope for the most interesting challenges to actually be on the main path. While this is great when you die (you skip your way back to where you were) it still doesn't encourage the player to actually try the extra challenges quite more than once. In other matters, I think you still did the feeling of " changing levels" pretty well. Could have been awesome if you could have given each level a very distinct style and look though.

Burn Those Calories (get fit!)
9B6E-0000-0077-12EE.jpg

I completed your level there but I am not sure how. Everytime I had the chance to cheat my way under certain platforms on the ground and did. Everytime I could bounce on some bullets to actually not have to wait for fire to be gone I did.
Its again a double edged sword here. I didn't really know what I think and feel like I rapidly skipped your level. But at the same time you don't feel like taking your time in here. So the level is fun but I am not sure how I enjoyed it...

Blathers' Fossil Quest (medium)
1EFA-0000-015A-326E.jpg

I had alot of fun with your level. Its well thought out and it was actually fun for once to take my time playing. Its also visually pleasing and we can see there has been alot of crafting going on making this. It was however a bit short and It always leaves me the feeling I did not explore eveything. Oh well... :)

Submerged Factory
D8E6-0000-016B-3AB3.jpg

I like the looks you achieved there. You removed enough "deja vu" for that water level to be enjoyable. And it felt sorta like a factory, I love the Yoshi's lines lol. There was a part though that I thought was a difficulty spike for nothing. The last obstacle before the first yoshi. I never could pass this without getting hit. Also, the level was short, I wanted it to last longer :p

Simbabbad

Very enjoyable level and a nice end to the series. The only issue I had was the first section. I had no clue which path to take, and the arrows made things a little more confusing. They seemed to be used for both guidance and telling you when conveyors were moving left. I'm pretty sure I was supposed to keep max speed and fight the left moving conveyors, but it never felt quite right. The rest of the level was great.
The idea is that one belt goes very fast to the right, followed by one that goes slowly to the left, you have to "go with the flow" with the one going fast, then stabilize yourself on the other one, and wait for the right time to start the cycle again, until the end of the Sonic section.

The rest is an alternate route, in case some people want to play in another way, but I'm wondering if it doesn't confuse the player.

I can also clear all my stages without trouble, but as the creator you can't really judge your own design because you have explicit knowledge of all the design details and you have practiced how to beat each part of the level separately.
What part of the level seemed too hard for you in particular?

EDIT:

I'm afraid there are still issues. For example:

- At the beginning, you have to break the walls on the left with Koopa shells you find further on the right. The problem is, you have two Koopas, and what the player does instinctively is jump on a Koopa, pick up his shell, then hold it and kill the other Koopa with it, killing both Koopas. The result is, when the player explores a bit more and finds the walls, he doesn't have access to the shells any more: he would have to go to the door, use it, then go back to create the Koopas again - problem is, nobody does that, statistically.

- Even if you do break the walls on the left with Koopa shells, there are three walls all in all, including two walls next to each other. That's a lot of going back and forth. Why have two walls next to each other? It's just tedious.

- After the two walls, there is an elevator. If you use it to go up (default direction when you see it), it goes to a solid ceiling, which makes you go through the elevator, and fall... right next to a Goomba. Oops, you'll have to go back to find a mushroom (if you unlocked it).

J-Fr

Fun level, you can either do normal jumps or complicated spin jumps!

Good level. I was a little confused while waiting for the clown car, died once or twice.

One month exactly after the second chapter of "Third Party Quest", the third chapter has been released yesterday.

I found this level super hard! Here's my playthrough.

This level is clearly my favourite of the series, first because I love Bowser's Castle, and then because using four very different characters each with their own logic and worlds in the same level (while still following Bowser's Castle logic and settings) was extremely fun.

The level is hard but not too hard. It has two checkpoints.

Loved this course. The Sonic part was the hardest, the indications felt a little counter intuitive I was unsure how to proceed with the jumps. My playthrough.

FORTRESS OF CONFUSION

There might be too much confusion! I time out on my last attempt.

KURIBO'S SAVAGE ISLANDS

I only played the first version. Good design but it became erratic on the last segment, I was constantly getting hit will trying to recover one of the shoe.

Thought I'd share two of my latest levels here, since it's been a while I've posted:

In & Out of My Shell!
526C-0000-011E-98C0
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/526C-0000-011E-98C0

Spinner's Delight!
B89C-0000-01AD-1895
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/B89C-0000-01AD-1895

My main grip with extremely hard speed-running courses is that it takes too much guessing to complete without looking at the video first.

You can see my blind attempts here and here. I stopped when I couldn't figure out what to do next.
Those are fun courses but I feel like the indications aren't very clear.

Ranger X

I'm afraid there are still issues. For example:

- At the beginning, you have to break the walls on the left with Koopa shells you find further on the right. The problem is, you have two Koopas, and what the player does instinctively is jump on a Koopa, pick up his shell, then hold it and kill the other Koopa with it, killing both Koopas. The result is, when the player explores a bit more and finds the walls, he doesn't have access to the shells any more: he would have to go to the door, use it, then go back to create the Koopas again - problem is, nobody does that, statistically.

- Even if you do break the walls on the left with Koopa shells, there are three walls all in all, including two walls next to each other. That's a lot of going back and forth. Why have two walls next to each other? It's just tedious.

- After the two walls, there is an elevator. If you use it to go up (default direction when you see it), it goes to a solid ceiling, which makes you go through the elevator, and fall... right next to a Goomba. Oops, you'll have to go back to find a mushroom (if you unlocked it).

When you start the level, you are suggested to go right according the arrow. You indeed meet those 2 koopas and then, killing them or not, your are blocked off by the fact your are small Mario. After that comes the confusion. When you go back and take the mushroom on the left, its not to continue left. Its to come back where the 2 koopas were and continue into that direction (basically following the arrows again). This brings you to a Pswitch. It is with that Pswitch that you go back on the mushroom side and "break" the walls.

People falling from the elevator that is blocked off its top is ok because they need to go down. They only need to see its blocked off and eventually later they gonna break that roof.

Xun

I've had this since September, but I've still not bothered to play it yet.

I really should change that soon...

Simbabbad

@J-Fr: thanks for playing!

@Ranger X: you don't understand me. I know how to proceed, I'm telling you it's too tedious and counter-intuitive, people will skip.

You indeed meet those 2 koopas and then, killing them or not, your are blocked off by the fact your are small Mario. After that comes the confusion. When you go back and take the mushroom on the left...
To take that mushroom, you first have to break the wall. If you killed the Koopas, you can't break that wall, you have to recreate the Koopas by exiting then coming by through the door. If you had just one Koopa, there would be no problem.

People falling from the elevator that is blocked off its top is ok...
No, it's not OK, because as I said, you fall right next to a Goomba that touches you immediately, you lose your mushroom (or you die), and have to do some meandering again.

Sorry if that comes off as harsh, I'm just pointing out many little issues that make the level more annoying than it should be. The overall design is solid.

Ranger X

Don't worry about it Simabbad, your feedback is precious and I appreciate it.
I won't change the level further though. Not worth it me thinks. If people want to do it the hard way and use the Koopas instead of the Pswitch once they are big mario, more tedious for them but they should explore on their right and discover the Pswitch. At some point this level IS about figuring your way out so if I remove that, its not the same level anymore. :p

I am quite happy about the result though. "Metroidvania" levels are extremely hard to make. As a matter of fact I never played any that were really good.

Simbabbad

As a matter of fact you are in my bookmarks ;P
It's all right then :p !

To put my previous comments about your Metroidvania level into perspective, I probably edited each Metroid Resurgence level around five times in average: each time, feedback put into light some more or less serious issues I decided to fix. So yes, that sort of level is hard to design indeed, especially since the Super Mario Maker audience has very little patience.

jholmes

Nothing new from me today, but I did notice a couple of my old stages have some very beatable speedrun times -- so beatable that the sample times I put up when they live haven't been approached yet.

Digging All the Way Down is very doable in 40 seconds, and no one has done it in under a minute.

Arino's Familiar Challenge can also be done in 40, but the best time yet is a hair over 45.

If you're not the speed-running type, I haven't got a lot of feedback on my two most recent courses, and it's always appreciated!

Blues1990

I was wondering if I could get some feedback with these two levels that I have created:

Bodacious
CBFA-0000-00B8-2985

Righteous
BD16-0000-01DD-8961

Also, how can you update uploaded levels?

jholmes

Also, how can you update uploaded levels?

You have to re-upload it, and presumably delete the original. So you don't really want to do it unless it's really important or the level's kind of a dud.

Bookmarked Bodacious, the rating makes me think it'll be tough as nails but then Agent Unknown beat it so it must secretly be really easy.
Kidding, dude!

Blues1990

You have to re-upload it, and presumably delete the original. So you don't really want to do it unless it's really important or the level's kind of a dud.

Bookmarked Bodacious, the rating makes me think it'll be tough as nails but then Agent Unknown beat it so it must secretly be really easy.
Kidding, dude!

Cool beans. Please let me know if the level works or not, and if you get the chance, could you check out Righteous and give similar feedback?

Also, I had designed both levels to be "tough, but fair", similar to the Special World levels of past Super Mario games. So it's more along the lines of "oops, I didn't time that jump properly", instead of "Random Thwomp and a wall of cannon fire obliterating you" that is seen on the "tougher" Mario Maker stages.

Top Bottom