• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

J-Fr

This is a fun swimming level! The common problem with swimming levels is that Mario is slow underwater and dodging fast enemies is more frustrating than fun. Thwomps on the other hand are slow and predictable, which makes dodging them quite pleasant. You also nicely mix thwomps that need to be passed below and above.

This was a very pleasant water level. I think water levels are at their best when they are very easy, or when the player can take their time enough to get a handle on the swimming physics to navigate through obstacles. Having a level with tons of fish, homing bills, and bloopers is a potential recipe for disaster.

It may be easy, but it's very pleasant, which isn't always the case with water levels. The launchers on top of Thwomps is a good idea.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mega Thwomp World 3-4: Roquefort Pass

WVW69i6J9HEgnE7Qst

This course is based on Cheese Bridge, I ended up changing a lot of elements. Normal difficulty!

Inkwell

Banned
Nothing new from me today, but I did notice a couple of my old stages have some very beatable speedrun times -- so beatable that the sample times I put up when they live haven't been approached yet.

Digging All the Way Down is very doable in 40 seconds, and no one has done it in under a minute.

Arino's Familiar Challenge can also be done in 40, but the best time yet is a hair over 45.

If you're not the speed-running type, I haven't got a lot of feedback on my two most recent courses, and it's always appreciated!

I got 39.533 on Digging All the Way Down, and 32.989 on Arino's Familiar Challenge.

I was wondering if I could get some feedback with these two levels that I have created:

Bodacious
CBFA-0000-00B8-2985

Righteous
BD16-0000-01DD-8961

Also, how can you update uploaded levels?

I would link your levels using the bookmark website like this:

Bodacious

Righteous

Anyway, both were pretty solid levels. Bodacious isn't very difficult, but it's one of those levels where you have to die quite a few times to learn it. Thankfully you knew to make it short enough to where this doesn't become an issue.

Righteous is incredibly sneaky. It lulls you into a false sense of security with an easy water section until it gives you the tough stuff. It was pretty fun. I have a little bit of criticism though. First, there's at least one section where you have to bounce off screen to reach a higher area. Thankfully you kept that stuff simple, but It's one of my pet peeves for level design. I know that sometimes it's unavoidable, but there's almost always a better option. Second, the level has some balance issues. The part I'm going to focus on is the spike top section with the spring. There's nothing wrong with doing this in a level, but everything else before it is relatively simple. Even though the section isn't very difficult, it's kind of an advanced technique. I would prefer a level like this use some kind of gating. Require the player to do something like this right at the start. I imagine some people who aren't particularly skilled at the game may get up to this point and get stuck.

Thanks for the feedback!

This course is based on Cheese Bridge, I ended up changing a lot of elements. Normal difficulty!

Another great level for your series!

I've been away from this thread for quite a few weeks (and away from my Wii U in general) but I am combing through the last ten or twenty pages and bookmarking what I can. Probably not getting to them just yet, though—Fire Emblem Fates has been monopolizing all my game time.

I'm sure everyone watching this thread already knows this, but the Nintendo Direct just confirmed that the next patch will bring in unlockable doors and keys, which can be tied to either bosses or collecting five red coins. Given how nearly all of my own stages involve puzzle rooms or bosses in some fashion, I may have to go back and remake all of them.

Did they give a date when the new update was coming? I'm hoping I just missed it while thinking about all the possibilities with the addition of keys .

(mat)

Did they give a date when the new update was coming? I'm hoping I just missed it while thinking about all the possibilities with the addition of keys .

I've read March 9th.

These updates really change everything. I am so excited about these red coins. What a fantastic update. Exploration will now be encouraged!

Ranger X

This is a fantastic update!!

However it would have been cool to actually decide what is the reward for the red coins. I mean, what if you don't want a key in your level? Also, the key is given when you find the last red coin, at the position where you stand. This means if you make some expandable level with coins all around the map, its hard in a free level to control which coin the player will grab last so they don't backtrack too much to actually use the key.

jholmes

Guess what I put out like, five minutes before the Nintendo Direct?

Pac-Man's New Adventure!

I made this in honour of the tarnished gem that is Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures hitting the Wii U Virtual Console today. The level takes Pac-Man from his home to a mine-cart stage, and then on to a couple other setpieces very, very generally based off the SNES and Genesis game. It's quick and fairly easy, and I hope it tickles anyone who loves the game as much as I do. Even if you don't, if you like rail sections it might be worth a shot.

Also, I didn't make this level but it's really good: In the Lair of the Firesnakes. It has like 1000 stars so it doesn't need your attention, but it's a lot of fun.

OK, onto feedback:

I don't usually like forced movement levels that much, but tried to make one that has a flow to it and fun to play once you get the hang of it.

Daring Dungeon Dash

Bookmark: EA3A-0000-01CB-A504

EA3A-0000-01CB-A504.jpg

It's fast! It's fun! I didn't love that you had a blind vertical scroll upward, even though you guided it with coins, but I liked it otherwise.

I love the swinging chain chomp mechanic so made a whole level around it. I figure underground is the where the chain chomps live :)

As usual I'm aiming for fun and good aesthetics rather than difficulty, enjoy!

Title: Chain Chomp Romp
Style: SMW
Code: 8CF7-0000-01D1-7311
Difficulty: Normal
Bookmark:https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/8CF7-0000-01D1-7311

8CF7-0000-01D1-7311_full.jpg

I'm curious if you've played The Pits and the Pendulums (I mean, a lot of people have). These levels feel really similar, but I mostly like your level more, although I will say not having a scene where Mario has to spin jump off a chomp is sort of a missed opportunity.

But that other stage is more puzzle-based and the last one sort of wears out its welcome, whereas yours feels more like a real, actual Mario stage, so I do prefer it.

I've got 2 new levels today. Both happen to be NSMB castle themed.

The Dry Bones Stronghold

8076-0000-01DD-6950.jpg

Difficulty: Easy or Normal

I'm glad you tried out retooling an old level -- it's neat to look back on how much you've grown after making levels over the months since release, isn't it? Clever use of secrets in this one, and your knowledge of the limitations of the engine shines through -- at least in this revised version (I didn't play the original). Just a good, solid NSMB castle level, and up to the quality you usually turn out. One quibble? I learned I hate firey cheap cheaps!

I was wondering if I could get some feedback with these two levels that I have created:

Bodacious
CBFA-0000-00B8-2985

This is a good level. What criticisms I do have aren't about design so much as they are constructive feedback about how Mario Maker works -- I've made a lot of stages and learned the hard way what the game engine does well and does not do well.

The major issue I have with this stage is how some of the piranha plants spawn -- specifically the second plant, the plant used to get to the mushroom and the last plant, the one after the four sawblades. Because of the way the game works, those plants can get summoned up in weird ways. The last one's a big issue -- Mario has to jump a little bit over the lava just to make it appear, as far as I know. The one at the beginning is also a big problem. Because Mario's moving up and then down, the player might not even see that plant before it slinks away. Plus, it sinks to the lava at the end, which makes it a one-way train that's very easy to miss. There are two ways that people make their stages work around these sorts of issues. One, which you can see in my level All Aboard the Wiggle-mobile!, is to shove some doors in so the creator always knows how the rail will behave, and if necessary the player can reset the rail platforms. The other way, which I used in my level The Heat is On, is to build the level around a break -- a little more elegant, but a lot harder to pull off. I was fortunate that the pipe break worked as well as it did here. The benefit of that, when it does work, is that it won't even occur to the player that it's happening. A number of people have told me they think it'd be easy for the late platforms in The Heat is On to sync up wrong, but because of that pipe and the layout after, it's impossible.

One other minor thing about the engine -- you've got a big ceiling in the early half blocking nothing, and in Mario Maker, you never want to put blocks up for no reason, because the engine will shift the screen to accommodate them -- even if they're just there as a ceiling. That's one a lot of us have learned the hard way, I assure you.

My only note about level design -- this level is hard as balls, but it's meant to be -- is that maybe you should've built in a skill test on the spin jump. For example, on the first square-rotation plant, maybe put ground below instead of lava, or just less lava, so if someone doesn't know what to do there, they can experiment a bit with the spin jump. That's not really there to kill people, so why not let someone mess around with it there? Since you rely so heavily on the spin jump, I don't think easing newer or less skilled players into the first spin jump would be a bad idea.

Really good homage to the SMW bridge levels, definitely recommended! I thought it was very clever how you made Mario use the note block to enter the last pipe, really cute level design. One concern: is a big Thwomp supposed to sync up with a platform on the top rail before the checkpoint? I just spin jumped on it for a while, but I'm not sure if you wanted that to happen.

I got 39.533 on Digging All the Way Down, and 32.989 on Arino's Familiar Challenge.

Now those are some seeerious times! I salute you!

This is a fantastic update!!

However it would have been cool to actually decide what is the reward for the red coins. I mean, what if you don't want a key in your level? Also, the key is given when you find the last red coin, at the position where you stand. This means if you make some expandable level with coins all around the map, its hard in a free level to control which coin the player will grab last so they don't backtrack too much to actually use the key.

You can choose the reward for the red coins -- you can put anything behind that door, a 1-up or whatever.

I can finally make level layouts with more meaning (I tend to make a layout first but usually it's still pretty linear and zig-zag and I don't like relying on doors too much.)

Great update, something like Red coins has been needed as an option for a long time and looking to forward to using SMW style keys and spike pillars. Now if only they'd give us a real DLC pack with additional level themes and more power ups (I don't want Tanooki/Statue skins, I want the actual Tanooki power up, really tired of the costumes).

Ranger X

You can choose the reward for the red coins -- you can put anything behind that door, a 1-up or whatever.

Well, that's great. But it still the doesn't solve the limiting fact that the key will appear at the location of the last red coin collected by the player. This means it will be harder to control where the player gets a key without too much backtracking in a more "freeform" level or again Metroidvania type.

Teknoman

Great update, something like Red coins has been needed as an option for a long time and looking to forward to using SMW style keys and spike pillars. Now if only they'd give us a real DLC pack with additional level themes and more power ups (I don't want Tanooki/Statue skins, I want the actual Tanooki power up, really tired of the costumes).

Really need a Desert theme and Volcano theme.

On that note, with the keys and making mandatory boss battles, does that mean we can make the boss drop the key?

javadoze

Really need a Desert theme and Volcano theme.

On that note, with the keys and making mandatory boss battles, does that mean we can make the boss drop the key?

Yes. They said you could do that in the direct.

Also, one last update I'd love would be some kind of level theme that least makes use of the respective games' athletic songs.

Teknoman

Yes. They said you could do that in the direct.

Also, one last update I'd love would be some kind of level theme that least makes use of the respective games' athletic songs.

Yeah, no Athletic areas was a pretty bigger omission than slopes. Especially since we can make the scrolling work at relatively fast speeds.

Stage On

Is anyone else having problems with some of the newer event stages?

In I chose you only the Bulbasaur would work properly. If I try the Squirtle or Charmander routes I just get random mystry mustroom costumes instead of the ones you're supposed to.

Also I'm not getting any reward for either nisekoi stage no matter which route I take. At first it seemed to unlock a generic mystry mushroom in the slot where Chitoge is supposed to be but when I checked after to see what costumes I had unlocked that slot was still blank

gblues

Banned
Hey, everyone!

We just got a Wii U and picked up Mario Maker. I'm looking forward to trying out some levels you guys have made.

I've made my first level, which probably isn't terribly innovative, but it does get pretty nuts with all the Cheep Cheeps swimming around.

Swimmy Mario

Monprr

Neo Member
The new update seems exciting! For the most part keys and bosses are something I have been developing a work-around for in all of my courses.

Anyway, here is a level I call Minion Disposal Unit V2. For the most part, my levels have low completion rates and get deleted so I would appreciate any feedback. Keys and Skewers will replace the POW block and Goomba Whomps after the update.

Minion Disposal Unit V2
8117-0000-01E5-B289
8117-0000-01E5-B289.jpg

Blues1990

This is a good level. What criticisms I do have aren't about design so much as they are constructive feedback about how Mario Maker works -- I've made a lot of stages and learned the hard way what the game engine does well and does not do well.

The major issue I have with this stage is how some of the piranha plants spawn -- specifically the second plant, the plant used to get to the mushroom and the last plant, the one after the four sawblades. Because of the way the game works, those plants can get summoned up in weird ways. The last one's a big issue -- Mario has to jump a little bit over the lava just to make it appear, as far as I know. The one at the beginning is also a big problem. Because Mario's moving up and then down, the player might not even see that plant before it slinks away. Plus, it sinks to the lava at the end, which makes it a one-way train that's very easy to miss. There are two ways that people make their stages work around these sorts of issues. One, which you can see in my level All Aboard the Wiggle-mobile!, is to shove some doors in so the creator always knows how the rail will behave, and if necessary the player can reset the rail platforms. The other way, which I used in my level The Heat is On, is to build the level around a break -- a little more elegant, but a lot harder to pull off. I was fortunate that the pipe break worked as well as it did here. The benefit of that, when it does work, is that it won't even occur to the player that it's happening. A number of people have told me they think it'd be easy for the late platforms in The Heat is On to sync up wrong, but because of that pipe and the layout after, it's impossible.

One other minor thing about the engine -- you've got a big ceiling in the early half blocking nothing, and in Mario Maker, you never want to put blocks up for no reason, because the engine will shift the screen to accommodate them -- even if they're just there as a ceiling. That's one a lot of us have learned the hard way, I assure you.

My only note about level design -- this level is hard as balls, but it's meant to be -- is that maybe you should've built in a skill test on the spin jump. For example, on the first square-rotation plant, maybe put ground below instead of lava, or just less lava, so if someone doesn't know what to do there, they can experiment a bit with the spin jump. That's not really there to kill people, so why not let someone mess around with it there? Since you rely so heavily on the spin jump, I don't think easing newer or less skilled players into the first spin jump would be a bad idea.

Thank you for the constructive feed back, along with providing information on how the game engine works with spawning items and enemies.

I did place that tower of coins on the right side of the square-rotating plant, along with the platform the player can safely land on down below. I did it as a way to ease the player into the idea of spin jumping on the plant to the next platform. Also, I made this level before the checkpoint update, so perhaps I should have added a checkpoint after the saw-blades, when you tunnel to the other side of the next segment?

I'll admit, I didn't know how to end the level. In retrospect, I should have just given the player a reward for completing that gauntlet, with just a simple walk-up to the draw bridge, rather than some arbitrary boss fight that was out of tune with the rest of the level.

What would you suggest?

Both were pretty solid levels. Bodacious isn't very difficult, but it's one of those levels where you have to die quite a few times to learn it. Thankfully you knew to make it short enough to where this doesn't become an issue.

Righteous is incredibly sneaky. It lulls you into a false sense of security with an easy water section until it gives you the tough stuff. It was pretty fun. I have a little bit of criticism though. First, there's at least one section where you have to bounce off screen to reach a higher area. Thankfully you kept that stuff simple, but It's one of my pet peeves for level design. I know that sometimes it's unavoidable, but there's almost always a better option. Second, the level has some balance issues. The part I'm going to focus on is the spike top section with the spring. There's nothing wrong with doing this in a level, but everything else before it is relatively simple. Even though the section isn't very difficult, it's kind of an advanced technique. I would prefer a level like this use some kind of gating. Require the player to do something like this right at the start. I imagine some people who aren't particularly skilled at the game may get up to this point and get stuck.

Another great level for your series!

That was completely intentional on my part. I wanted to trick the player that this appears to be a walk in the park, but I wanted to ease them into the situation that the level becomes progressively tougher, but manageable if you're alert.

With regards to the Spiny on the Munchers puzzle, I did give the player two options to complete it. You could perform the advance spin technique, or you could alternatively grab several springs and toss them across the Munchers, so you could bounce across them and reach to the other side. I did a test with both options, and they had worked fine when I was playing it. I even given the level to a friend, who sucks with platforming games, and she was able to do it after the second attempt.

With that said, I definitely should have made the player do something like this at the start, as some kind of gating. Perhaps during the bonus room at the beginning of the level?

Hey, everyone!

We just got a Wii U and picked up Mario Maker. I'm looking forward to trying out some levels you guys have made.

I've made my first level, which probably isn't terribly innovative, but it does get pretty nuts with all the Cheep Cheeps swimming around.

Swimmy Mario

Welcome to the club. I'll check out the level later tonight, as I'm a sucker for tribute levels.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Finally took the time to go through the op and it was an excellent read full of interesting stuff and compelling levels to try.
Great job op!

There isn't a story mode per se but there is 10-Mario mode. Those levels are on the disc and they're good.

The other main game mode outside of creation is the 100-Mario Challenge, where you encounter levels at random (lots are awful). Every time you clear a set of 100-Mario levels, you get a costume you can use with the mystery mushroom in creating Super Mario Bros. stages (costumes like Luigi, Pac-Man, Samus... there's a lot). So no, you will gain nothing out of using your amiibos if you don't want to make levels. But on the other hand, if you want to unlock the whole character costume board through 100-Mario mode (just as a personal goal on your part), you might want to use a few of them to save you a few runs through 100-Mario Challenge.

As for what else you should do, obviously you should use the Bookmark site and play the levels in this thread! :) My levels are all here. I also have a community spotlight list of hidden-gem levels I personally recommend, and I'll share that here again:

Touch Buzzy, Get Dizzy by Chris
Spiny Mine Glacier by Nick
Beetlemania by Slate
The Runner by Novakobx22
Shippo de Ban Ban! Goomba Coaster by Shin
Rosalina's Night at Bowser Tower by Picard
Infiltrate! Bowser City! by MARUPON
Cavern Of Lost Secrets by ZEROMOUS
Goomba's Safety Hat Emporium by Zeus
Flying Munitions Cache by Mercury C.
Super Mario Bros 2 : World 4-2 by SLA83
The Great Riders of Chomponia by Joe
Sunshine by Elliot
Cannon Crush Rush by KBK

If you do decide to try level creation, don't be afraid to share!

Most people in this thread are building their own levels and post them here. These are in general much better on average than a random level, so play them. We link to the bookmark service, and if you log in there, you can use it to bookmark levels to play. They appear in game in Course World > Courses > Bookmark. You can also tap on the mii of the creator in game (or in the bookmark service) to get a list of his/her other levels. I suggest you play a couple of levels from the active posters in this thread. After a couple of levels you will usually get an idea of what kinds of courses that person creates, and then you can play more from the people whose taste matches yours.

If you play a level that you enjoy, always give it a star. Stars allow builders to upload more levels and make them happy. (Of course you don't need to star every level.) And when you play levels from this thread, please post comments and critique here. Also link to good levels of other people you come across.

Guys, thanks sooooo much! I've only just caught your replies, somehow I must have missed them before!

Super grateful :)

What you do is you put the game disc in and see for yourself lol.

lol why don't you ever relax dude. I mean you've been told 1000 times on the Ninty and Cheap Arse threads, clearly what your doing isn't working out on GAF?
I got limited time, I put the disc in and it walked me through a seemingly unskippable level-building stage, then I only had a couple options from there and I wondered what was the best way to approach the game and came in here to see a huuuuuge thread full of creators and, being an OT and all, thought to ask about the game?Considering I'm almost 39 and with how limited my time is and how many games I have sitting unopened on my shelves (even just this year there's GTAV, MGSV, UNTIL DAWN, DSouls 2 ps4, RsixSiege, Yoshi WW, DKC TF, Mario 3DW, Zelda MM, Tear Away ps4, Sunset Overdrive... just to name a tenth of my 2015/16 purchases still sealed/untouched), you gotta try to cut the fat whenever you can.

jepense

I didn't realize there was a direct coming. Great update, it seems! I've definitely missed keys.

Also a new level:

Equip before you go
E1BB-0000-01E6-73E3.jpg

The idea here is that you can choose the difficulty of the level. You have the option to go and get powerups or you can just directly tackle the main stage. The stage can be cleared in two multijump sequences, but powering up first allows you to take it slowly. I find the multijump route the most fun, and it doesn't require any advanced tricks like object carrying, so I suggest you at least try it.

The level is not quite what I wanted, because I reached max enemy count midway through the level and had to redesign a lot of it, making it pretty sparse in the end. The idea was that it would be fairly easy with Kuribo's shoe, but now it's still pretty challenging with all the gear. Then after almost finishing the level I realised I could've replaced the munchers with spike blocks to get more stuff in. Duh. But here's the level as it came out. I'll probably rebuild an easier version later at some point.

What part of the level seemed too hard for you in particular?
I think the beginning of the level has a pacing issue. The first part is full of rocky wrenches and a slow approach is needed there because you can't jump on the wrenches. It's not too difficult but there isn't much room either, so an average player will likely fail at first. However, then you get to the P-switch, which requires fast movement, and you are faced with flying spinies that block your jumps. There is little time to figure out what to do and if you are small, the spinies are a big threat. It's likely a lot of people will die here not having yet figured out quite what they were supposed to do, and then taken back to the beginning, having to go through the slow paced part again.

jholmes

Thank you for the constructive feed back, along with providing information on how the game engine works with spawning items and enemies.

I did place that tower of coins on the right side of the square-rotating plant, along with the platform the player can safely land on down below. I did it as a way to ease the player into the idea of spin jumping on the plant to the next platform. Also, I made this level before the checkpoint update, so perhaps I should have added a checkpoint after the saw-blades, when you tunnel to the other side of the next segment?

I'll admit, I didn't know how to end the level. In retrospect, I should have just given the player a reward for completing that gauntlet, with just a simple walk-up to the draw bridge, rather than some arbitrary boss fight that was out of tune with the rest of the level.

What would you suggest?

If you decide to update this, up to you because I certainly think it's playable as is, I wouldn't put the checkpoint that late. The problem with adding a checkpoint is it negates the value of the mushroom halfway through. Real tough call there. If that's something you decide to tackle, I say playtest from that point, see if it feels right. Thorough playtesting solves a lot of problems!

If I were making the level, ideally I would end with an optional spin off a piranha plant to get a 1-up off a flagpole. However, you have to use the axe on castle levels, which is limiting. On one of the levels I linked to last time, The Heat is On, I used just one hammer bro. He's easy to dodge, but a tough enough enemy that it feels significant. However, I'd urge you to play Inkwell's Perilous Platforms, Scary Saws for inspiration. He masterfully let the theme of the stage carry the player through right to the axe, and something like that might've been best here. (Definitely play that stage by the way, it's awesome.)

I also played Righteous and while the two halves of the stage don't really fit into one whole, I liked it. I do think the hidden pipe area early on should have more between the pipes in the overworld -- you should make the player feel they're taking an alternate path, not just seeing a sideshow, I think. You've got a good handle on level design though, definitely keep sticking with it.

Roi

Ooh those updates are looking good, great to see Nintendo is still working on making this game even better!

VandalD

Nice updates they showed in that Direct. I'm glad they're still updating. Every new feature multiplies the things you can do, and it's great. Been pretty off and on with SMM, but when I come back to it I always have a good time. Will check out some more levels here again at some point.

Digging All the Way Down is very doable in 40 seconds, and no one has done it in under a minute.
That's not true, I did it last year! Sadly, before record times were saved.

cyba89

Weird. I scanned the Wolf Link Amiibo and it shows the japanese name for that costume. I hope that gets fixed in the next update.

Platy

Been a while since I entered the miiverse to see comments on my levels ... and for no surprise, my tutorial level has lots of comments ... including this one :

nUBSCqa.png

...what does it even mean ?

GokouD

The update is going to be amazing, I've been too busy to play Mario Maker lately but there's so many cool possibilities with the new items I'll have to get back into it.

tim1138

I just picked this up yesterday, my wife and I are having way more fun making levels then we ever expected. The tools are super easy to use and we both like the gradual rollout of new objects to use. I think my only complain is the sheer amount of auto run levels online.

Nerrel

Apologies for not quoting, I've got a backlog from hell right now:

Chain Chomp Romp: Very fun, straightforward level. I like how the chomps attack out of nowhere with snake-like movements. The section at the end with the fast and slow chomp cannons staggered was great, very tightly designed and fun.

MTW 3-3 Hydraulic: This was a really clever idea. I had never realized you could create a piston-like object by using the cannons on top of the thwomps. Not being able to swim above gave an interesting twist to the thwomps.

Daring Dungeon Dash: This is very fun in that it simply challenges you to move fast and use all of your moves. It reminds me a little of my run slide dive course, but it's a lot freer and I think a little funner as a result. I just wish I didn't hit the edge of the screen and have my momentum slowed so often.

Test chamber: This one started off fairly easy, then went to crazy town after entering the basement section. I managed to get the right pipe selection every time and never fell into the spikes, but I did feel it was a little cheap to do that; I wasn't exactly sure why I ended up on the right path each time other than intuition. The ending half with the crazy block machine felt a little too unforgiving and hard, but I managed to pass it with only one death, so maybe it wasn't too hard after all.

R.O.B's Scaffolding Scramble: This was generally a pretty fun and challenging platforming exercise. The music and visuals match the industrial vibe of the level very well. My only criticism is that I got hit by the very last flame platform in a blind jump; I ended up with timing such that both platforms were firing at once, so I lost my ROB costume. Otherwise, very fair challenge.

Lava Vault: I tried this one for a while and gave up after only reaching the treadmills. I'm sorry, but levels with this type of extreme difficulty just to make the very first jump end up being very tedious to play... part of me wanted to keep going to clear it for the sheer sake of doing it, but after a while it felt like I could get a lot more fun out putting that time into other courses. It's just a little too hard to be fun in my opinion, even though what I saw seemed well designed for what it was.

Good work, everyone. The GAF community has made the value of this game so much higher with a reliable pool of levels to draw from.

Holy shit, this looks cool. I'll have to bookmark these for later.

Roi

I hope there won't be to many levels uploaded with mandatory boss battles where the exit is behind a wall with a (key)door..

I hope there won't be to many levels uploaded with mandatory boss battles where the exit is behind a wall with a (key)door..

Well, I mean, what else would you want to do with them?

I wish you could update levels. I definitely have a few levels the mandatory locked door would have been nice for.

eviltasan

Thanks for the great feedback, I've learned a ton from comments in here! Hoping to do a round of feedback of my own soon :)

Just posted a new level which came about when I noticed how cool the splashing lava effect looked on NSMBU's set.
I was surprised how many objects interact with the lava actually so that became a good portion of the basis for this one.

Title: Bowser Jr's Lava Lair
Style: NSMBU
Code: 6170-0000-01DB-4FD2
Difficulty: Normal
Bookmark:https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/6170-0000-01DB-4FD2

6170-0000-01DB-4FD2.jpg

6170-0000-01DB-4FD2_full.jpg

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I have not made a new level in quite a while as other things have been filling my schedule. But I hope to make some shortly, the upcoming update should make for some interesting designs.

Blues1990

If you decide to update this, up to you because I certainly think it's playable as is, I wouldn't put the checkpoint that late. The problem with adding a checkpoint is it negates the value of the mushroom halfway through. Real tough call there. If that's something you decide to tackle, I say playtest from that point, see if it feels right. Thorough playtesting solves a lot of problems!

If I were making the level, ideally I would end with an optional spin off a piranha plant to get a 1-up off a flagpole. However, you have to use the axe on castle levels, which is limiting. On one of the levels I linked to last time, The Heat is On, I used just one hammer bro. He's easy to dodge, but a tough enough enemy that it feels significant. However, I'd urge you to play Inkwell's Perilous Platforms, Scary Saws for inspiration. He masterfully let the theme of the stage carry the player through right to the axe, and something like that might've been best here. (Definitely play that stage by the way, it's awesome.)

I also played Righteous and while the two halves of the stage don't really fit into one whole, I liked it. I do think the hidden pipe area early on should have more between the pipes in the overworld -- you should make the player feel they're taking an alternate path, not just seeing a sideshow, I think. You've got a good handle on level design though, definitely keep sticking with it.

Okay, I'm in the process of redesigning Bodacious, and I'm going to upload it later and ask you guys on what to improve in version 2.0. I definitely looked into that level 'Perilous Platforms, Scary Saws' you have recommended me to check out, which is a fun level & is giving me inspiration. I'll upload a work-in-progress video to see what you guys think.

Inkwell

Banned
I have a new level pretty much ready to go, but I'm waiting for the update to add those pink coins to it. It's nothing super important. It will just unlock a 1-up room, but I figure I might as well wait since the update is tomorrow. In the meantime I made this:

Super Ultra Shooter Deluxe

DC59-0000-01ED-891E.jpg

Don't let the name fool you. It's a horrible clown car shooter level. It was more of a learning experience than a serious attempt, but I have so many open level slots I figured I might as well upload it.

Top Bottom