• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

You know how you get a red flag after beating a level? Well, some of my red flags have been disappearing. And it sucks because I beat some really challenging levels and the red flag was validation.

jholmes

A handful of my latest levels haven't got a ton of feedback, so if anyone's looking to get back into the swing of things ahead of the update and wants something to play, I'd love some input on these:

Pac-Man's New Adventure - Easiest!
Mount Molehill - Mediumest!
The Heat is On - Toughest!

Okay, I'm in the process of redesigning Bodacious, and I'm going to upload it later and ask you guys on what to improve in version 2.0. I definitely looked into that level 'Perilous Platforms, Scary Saws' you have recommended me to check out, which is a fun level & is giving me inspiration. I'll upload a work-in-progress video to see what you guys think.

Do you think this'll be updated post-SMM update? This could be a good candidate for coins as an extra bonus option (hide a 1-up there or something, or maybe put a coin where your mushroom is and put a powerup behind the locked door) or maybe even those skewers. Either way best of luck, and don't be afraid to cut some good ideas and put them in an all-new post-update level!

You know how you get a red flag after beating a level? Well, some of my red flags have been disappearing. And it sucks because I beat some really challenging levels and the red flag was validation.

I don't know if it's a question of time passing or if each player only gets so many of those red flags, but this has always been the case. My suggestion is that if you really want that validation, post a comment when you beat the stage. The comment won't disappear, the level creator will automatically get a star, and the creator will really appreciate the extra feedback, too!

EDIT: Check out this Key Update YouTube video! I don't think we knew about listing players' WR times, or being able to view failure points of your stage in-depth. Those might not be as exciting for the casual player but those are really appreciated updates. The former helps with discoverability and the latter is something I've wanted since forever.

Simbabbad

EDIT: Check out this Key Update YouTube video! I don't think we knew about listing players' WR times, or being able to view failure points of your stage in-depth. Those might not be as exciting for the casual player but those are really appreciated updates. The former helps with discoverability and the latter is something I've wanted since forever.
I hope you can look at fails in the underground area, too. This has really been frustrating.

Wow, I was greeted with a charming message going online. That map I made based on Zephervack's image is apparently "No Longer Online". There was nothing weird about it, so that's odd. It must not have gotten enough plays.

That was the last thing I posted, so that's jarring. I knew it was a potential thing, but I didn't expect it this soon in Mario Maker's life. I wonder what else might get unceremoniously yanked down.

I don't know if it's a question of time passing or if each player only gets so many of those red flags, but this has always been the case. My suggestion is that if you really want that validation, post a comment when you beat the stage. The comment won't disappear, the level creator will automatically get a star, and the creator will really appreciate the extra feedback, too!

Some levels have maxed out comments though :(

Figures: just sat down to catch up on a batch of pre-patch bookmarks while awaiting the new update, and the server goes down right then.

Hey guys! I'm back after taking a long break ma king levels I'm ready to get back into it! I'm starting by going back and fixing up some of my older levels. Here is the first one. Let me know what you think!

Airship Armada V3

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/1892-0000-01EC-DD19

This definitely captured the flow and pacing of a classic SMB3 airship, only lengthier and without the boss descent. Gentle, but with enough variety and optional risks to hold my attention. I could tell you were a little tight on space with the way that the goal hangs off a precipice right at the end. (As an auto-scroll level, I was dismayed to find that my first attempt put me less than a second shy of the world record. Should have remembered that and dashed all the way to the right.)

A handful of my latest levels haven't got a ton of feedback, so if anyone's looking to get back into the swing of things ahead of the update and wants something to play, I'd love some input on these:

Pac-Man's New Adventure - Easiest!
Mount Molehill - Mediumest!
The Heat is On - Toughest!

Couldn't star your third course as the server went down for maintenance just as I cleared it, but I'll have to go back and do so. It didn't occur to me until I played it that staying on a moving Fire Bar is something that standard Nintendo courses have never really tested. All credit to you for finding a very specific challenge and elaborating on it for the duration of the course. As with the typical Nintendo stage structure, the player sure as hell learns the mechanic and its jump timing by the time he or she reaches the end.

VandalD

The update is out already. Flood of key levels incoming!

This made me laugh. It's at the end of an autoscroller airship with lots of cannons. To get through all that crap only to be hit by a goomba at the very end..

WVW69i-dO6cIYe5kbm

I'm curious to see how effective splitting Super Expert from Expert is as a bullshit filter for Expert, but for now I'm just playing with the tools and figuring out the interactions with the new pieces.

Wow, look at this guy's uploaded levels.

That's... an interesting method for farming stars en masse. It seems he fills all available slots up to the cap, ostensibly to maximize the chance of appearing in the Easy queue, and just removes one if he ever wants to open up a slot for a real course.

I think I might hold this strategy in too much contempt to try it myself.

PSA to anyone looking to get all of the new outfits that wants to check out Super Expert right away: Don't do this until you've unlocked all of the new Normal/Expert outfits first. You probably don't want to do Super Expert any more than you have to.

Okay so I made a level (I used a template I'd created before but modified it a bit to add in some of the new elements), if anyone wants to try it!

Mines of Mario
8921-0000-01EE-1779
8921-0000-01EE-1779.jpg

Thanks Robin64 for the screenshot XD

cyba89

Changes I noticed:
- When you exit 100 Mario and want to continue later you get a different level. So you can't download a level and practice anymore.
- Jumping from two music notes/trampolines at once has been improved. Before the patch you couldn't do a high jump when you hit two at once.

Costumes I unlocked in Super Expert: Female Volleyball Player and Hikari (Shin Onigashima). Wolf Link name+description is still japanese.

Robin64

WVW69i-dUpk4rEF_Cd

Nabbit!

(This one can be unlocked in Normal mode. Normal and Expert have new costumes, so best to exhaust those before diving in to Super Expert)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just got this please tell me I can remap spin jump to A. (´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ω°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥`)

GokouD

Ok here's my first level with the new elements, Challenge Of The Five Challenges.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/058C-0000-01EE-6125

There are five challenge rooms, each with a red coin, needed to unlock the door to the end. You have a checkpoint and a mushroom available to use when you see fit (collected red coins are retained when you use a checkpoint), use them wisely. Difficulty is nothing extreme, have fun!

z3a8CaZ.jpg

xsDeh6I.jpg

Now to see what the rest of you come up with!

Sölf

Update is there?
Update is there.

I will build something for the first time in months. Heck, haven't even used checkpoints so far. This will be good.

Inkwell

Banned
I love that all of these levels are being posted. Had started to get a bit slow in here.

Welcome to Mushroom Springs

E870-0000-01EE-66EE.jpg

It uses pink coins for a bonus, but other than that it's a fairly standard level. The idea behind this was to take one of the most annoying mechanics and make it even more annoying. Have fun ;).

All the new costumes have been added to the sprite sheet. (Well, the ones that can be ripped, as they are 100 Marios costumes)

http://www.spriters-resource.com/fullview/69695/

These costumes are always so Japanese, very rarely any western representation.

Most of the major characters already have costumes, so at this point it's just extras, which is probably why they're digging deep.

Nabbit, Balloon Fighter and Bubbles are nice.

Weird no Popo. Isn't he the last character from the original leak (the second one, not the one with Tetris/Windows Logo)? Nabbit, Baby Mario, Balloon Fighter and Badge Rabbit are all there now.

Also kind of strange Wolf Link is the only new amiibo costume. I would have thought at least Ryu, Roy and Waddle Dee were shoe ins. Maybe even alt colored ROB.

Guess not. Oh well, the dream of a Ryu costume might be dead.

I don't recognise half of the new ones. 136, 138, and 140 are like, I've never seen those ever.

If you collect Smash Bros trophies in game, everybody but the last character has had a trophy in at least one Smash Bros.

That doesn't mean I remember their names.

School girl was even considered to be on the roster at one point.

daydream

Banned
I don't recognise half of the new ones. 136, 138, and 140 are like, I've never seen those ever.

136:
character from shin onigashima (famicom disk system adventure game), same as 135
138:
ayumi tachibana from famicom tantei club
140:
girl from the streetpass game with the haunted house

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
These costumes are always so Japanese, very rarely any western representation.

Well Nintendo is a Japanese company...

Guess you'll have to go to Miiverse and plead for a Lanky Kong costume to get your western representation.

RagnarokX

136 and 138 are from Japanese games. They have smash trophies though.

140 is from the 2nd set of 3DS streetpass plaza games. She's a detective and acts as your partner as you investigate and escape Monster Manor. I recomend those games if you have a 3DS.

I wonder if Ridley is too big to get a Mario Maker costume.

He seems like he'd be perfect for a costume, and yet random Japanese game characters get in. Including literal anime.

136 and 138 are from Japanese games. They have smash trophies though.

140 is from the 2nd set of 3DS streetpass plaza games. She's a detective and acts as your partner as you investigate and escape Monster Manor. I recomend those games if you have a 3DS.

Detective Mii also has a trophy in 3DS Smash. That's the only reasons I recognized her.

75px-IrisArchwellTrophy3DS.png

GokouD

Just found out that you can't give stars to levels made by another user on the same Wii U anymore. I can see why as it would have been open to abuse, but my wife always played my levels (and didn't always star them, she's a tough critic!) and it'll be less fun now...

GokouD

Time for some feedback!

Here's my first course with the key mechanic! It's a time trial. How fast can you go?

Would be grateful for feedback.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/E277-0000-01EE-15E0

Interesting idea, I'd hesitate to call it fun though! ;)

Here's another toughie Input together using the spike poles and the collect 5 in one screen.

Please enjoy.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/A369-0000-01EE-41E8

A nice snappy challenge, I might have put the entrance door in middle of the room though, so the spike pillars synch up.

Okay so I made a level (I used a template I'd created before but modified it a bit to add in some of the new elements), if anyone wants to try it!

Mines of Mario
8921-0000-01EE-1779
8921-0000-01EE-1779.jpg

Thanks Robin64 for the screenshot XD

I really liked this one, it's amazing the difference having proper key doors makes to this kind of level instead of the workarounds we used to have to rely on.

I love that all of these levels are being posted. Had started to get a bit slow in here.

Welcome to Mushroom Springs

E870-0000-01EE-66EE.jpg

It uses pink coins for a bonus, but other than that it's a fairly standard level. The idea behind this was to take one of the most annoying mechanics and make it even more annoying. Have fun ;).

I expected to hate this as I despise springs, but it was actually really good fun. Apart from this bit...

UHHVYVw.jpg

I almost snapped my pad in half, I did do it eventually though!

A decent level, I would have prefered to have multiple red coins to get the key though, just having one you may as well have just had the key there!

Dyle

Man this new update is going to add so much longevity to this game! It's going to take me forever to unlock all the costumes now. To celebrate the new keys, I decided to redesign my first Mario Maker level, Footholds Fleeing From Firebars (E498-0000-004C-9B35). It was a super fast, super short level and I wanted to expand on its mechanics while finding out how to use the keys well. I think its much better, although still a bit tricky.

WVW69i-iwQoVTwQ98O

Spooky Skull Secret Search (B38B-0000-01EE-7E47)

I'm glad Nintendo's been supporting this game so well, definitely makes me happy with my purchase

JeTmAn81

Has there been any showcasing of courses with a lot of custom recorded sounds? Seems like you could do something amazing with that, though you'd have to take a video of it offline to show it to others.

Sölf

97BF-0000-01EE-9D54.jpg

The Key

So, I made my first level in like 4 months or so. It's nothing fancy, just a thing I build in ~20-30 minutes to use some new things and some things I don't use that often (fire and moving parts in this case). I don't really have any good ideas at the moment, I hope that changes soon.

Platy

136:
character from shin onigashima (famicom disk system adventure game), same as 135
138:
ayumi tachibana from famicom tantei club
140:
girl from the streetpass game with the haunted house

I was "cool, Pocky and Rocky girl !" but yeah, it is the one from the nes game that nobody played =P

Top Bottom