• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

So, I'm being pretty stupid I think. But how do you place mystery mushrooms in your stages? I think I have all items for creation unlocked but I can't find it anywhere in the menu?

Kouriozan

I'm almost only unlocking AC costumes...

wiiu_screenshot_gamep1ypse.jpg

Obligatory OH YES K.K.!

Edit : he howls when he falls, GOTY.

So just what I feared would happen has happened. I can't find the 8 bit mario amiibo anywhere in the US for under $40. I wanted it included in the game like PAL!

Porcile

Making levels with the NSMBU skin is tough. I spent a few hours building a castle level because I really like the graphical style and wanted some wall jumping sections, and then suddenly realised you could break the entire level because of the spin jump invincibility. In the end I just retooled it into a SMB one. I thought it would be the style I used the least, but because of the lack of extra moves, it's the one I use the most.

I was working on the same thing

You should still finish your level, there's never too many train levels XD

This is rad! The train theme works really well.

that looks rad

Thanks, it's had a few good hours put into it :)

If anyone wants to hone their wall jumping a bit, I made this stage which is designed to teach people the technique quickly. It starts easy, no unfair stuff. But each sequence is slightly more challenging than the last :) I hope I got the balance right.

I'm almost only unlocking AC costumes...
Same here. But I don't even like AC. *cries*

danwu

Banned
A silly level:
CBA2-0000-001C-93CA

An impossible level, apparently, I didn't think it was that hard:
C446-0000-001B-6EE9

The first two steps of the whole reason I bought Super Mario Maker:
2C90-0000-0027-F388
0A23-0000-0030-B14F

Icarus 1-4, Haven't played a game with so many dead ends in a while !

Fantastic interpretation !

Okay, been working on this one for a while and I'm really proud of it. I came up with a level gimmick that made for some interesting level design and visual design, though I wish I had taken a better upload picture:

Sgu0Ybz.jpg

Chain Chomp Zoo
5AE2-0000-0030-E6D6

If you've ever wanted to play a level full of Chain Chomps, now is your chance. The semi-solid platforms of SMB3's Undergound added a lot to the visual design, you should check it out.

Blues1990

I have no interest with getting Super Mario Maker (The Lost Levels and New Super Luigi U are there if I want an actual challenge), but I'm pretty impressed with the level of diversity from all the user-created levels that have been shown in this thread.

B_Bech

Okay guys I made three new stages that I'm SUPER proud of! Gettin' the hang of this stage making thing. I really want you guys to try them and maybe hand me a few stars if you enjoy them. I focused on making them fun this time around... like really focused on it. I know it sounds obvious, but the other stages I made focused on being cool/challenging. As always, I'll play and star all of your guys levels if you drop me a PM with the code. I'll even comment and give feedback!

WVW69iYkS2osYyw3rS

Pacman Fever

(8038-0000-0030-897D)

This is a minigame so don't think you can beat it the way you could a traditional Mario level. This is an homage to the father of gaming as we know it. Here's looking at you, Puckman.

WVW69iYjPr0drhwGaX

Yoshi's Rad Racing Coaster

(EAEC-0000-002F-DCD5)

Alright now this one can be a bit tough, but it's not at all unfair. Yoshi's built a twin racing coaster in his basement. Think you can ride it all the way to end? Note: try not to be mad at Yoshi as he laughs at you from the safety of his operator's box. How many times have you used him to save yourself?

WVW69iYWCw4wxihE-0

Steampunk Castle Crusade

(E222-0000-0028-D662)

This one I designed to be a unique castle stage at the end of a near final world. It's steampunk styled, so its exterior is airship-like. When making this stage, I kept all that I knew about Nintendo's design philosophies in mind. I played it over and over, tweaking elements that didn't feel Nintendo enough. I'm happy with the end result, and I feel like it could easily blend in with the rest of the levels in New Super Mario Bros. U.

------------------------------

Now, these next two stages I've posted before, but I never explained them the way I did with the new three. I will do just that and hopefully give more people the opportunity to play them.

WVW69iYQdc0NNdSHeE

Bowser's Heavy Metal Battalion

(721B-0000-0025-1463)

I absolutely love this stage. I wanted to make an autoscrolling level with unique boss encounters peppered in, but I also wanted to make sure the difficulty was just right... as I found the boss fight in my previous stage had caused most players to rage quit. What resulted was Bowser's Heavy Metal Battalion. It's a procession of tanks, each harder to beat than the one before it. It's got a good sense of speed, so I used Captain Falcon to convey that... and for the cool factor. The scrolling, the conveyor belts and the sawblade wheels give the illusion of moving vehicles. Kinda neat, huh?

WVW69iYM2cclpuEz05

Assault on Goomba Factory

(CF0E-0000-0022-6B6D)

This level was meant to be a self contained adventure story, told through sound effects. You start out outside of the factory, go inside the machine itself... see its horrors (transforming mushrooms into Goombas)... break the machine and gum up the works... then face off with the factory's malicious mastermind, Bowser, in an epic confrontation. After beating Bowser, you flee the exploding factory... just because I enjoy the cliche. It needs a little fine tuning, but it's still an awesome stage that I hope you see to the end.

So yeah, those are five stages I think you guys will have a ton of fun playing. Like I said before, if you like em' feel free to toss me a star and even follow me. PM me a list of your stages and I will play and star every single one of them.

Thanks for playing. (If you do!)

Quoting this for a new page. Haven't had any feedback on the Pacman level yet! Also, PM me some stages, I have all these stars and no one to give them to.

MouldyK

All my ideas fall flat.

Like, I feel I want to make something special, but when I put the pen to the touchscreen, it never comes out like my vision.

Anyone else feel like that?

If you keep playing after using all of your new tools, the shipment will arrive "sooner than expected".

Specifically

Play for five minutes to get the "The truck will arrive tomorrow!" of each set, then lay down 1000 items (just fill a level with coins) and the truck will arrive early.

Do this for every set and you'll have unlocked everything in half an hour.

PBalfredo

Alright Gaf I'm running a little late, here's my new level made only using up to Day 2 tools;

Spent about 5x the amount of time on this as I did my Day 1 course. Got obsessed with the little details in terms of telegraphing enemies and upcoming danger by looking at what the player sees on screen in certain areas. Also spent extra time making the level look good, and ran into the object limit which tacked on a lot of work. Overall I think it's better than my first course by a lot, but it's still very easy. Guessing around 35% completion rate for this.

Like my Day 1 course, you can carry full speed momentum 90% of the time, and there's exactly 100 coins to collect, none of which are out of the way/hidden.

Enjoy! Tomorrow I'll try and get more of your guys' courses in.

Nice. It's got a good "Don't stop for nothing!" vibe going for it. Good use of coins to clue the player into what they should be doing.

The spiny on the trampoline is a cute touch.

galvatron

Just uploaded my scond course. Same core concept as my first but the difficulty is a bit more manageable I think though the level is longer. Tried to make the pacing a bit better. Let me know if you think this is better or worse than my first.

Flying Spring 2 - 3681-0000-002F-ECEB

Also if anyone is interested in my first flying spring course - EA5C-0000-0013-CE21

Tried it a bunch. I really think you're onto something with this as a sub-genre/stage type, but this doesn't feel like it should be the stage to introduce that notion.
For instance, the first area could have a floor and a way to get back up to the top and try again, like the rope swinging sections in Wind Waker allowing someone to fail without having to begin again.

I feel like I'm well into "special worlds" in this stage, but maybe that's because this stage now comprises 90% of my Mario trampoline jumping time :)

Really well thought out and executed.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Zero pls

Some jumps (and some enemies) are pure sadism

Fighting Spirit
ABE4-0000-0030-ACCB

Nice idea, but if you don't move at the start of the level, Bowser kills himself and you can't even be harmed.
Was this intended?

Rescue Yoshi!

8B79-0000-0030-F171

Normally I wouldn’t ask, but super pretty please give me feedback on this level! I put a tonne of time and effort into it. I tried to make feel like a living world and that you’re really in the spike-tops lair. The ending in particular was something I put a lot of thought into.

And if anyone feels like it, playthrough it multiple times. It’s designed for speedrunning, with a bunch of little skips and places to optimise your speed if you can find them!

Nice one, I especially loved the ending
where another Yoshi is waiting for you in Yoshi's home
. Though I would have liked if there was a secton where you had to use Yoshi to procceed.

Gwar har har! Solve my maze!
WVW69iYlQZQX2wo_g9

BC53-0000-0031-2820
Description: Lakitu Bowser! I mean, a P-Switch using maze with Bowser barraging Mario with fireballs. Only the Axe can stop him. So hurry!
Secrets: The usual three 1-Up Mushrooms. Now with less instant death.​

Great little maze, enjoyed it! Wasn't hard at all.

Deadstar

This game needs a checkpoint system item added as dlc immediately. It would make longer levels a lot more fun because you would be able to put in some more difficult sections with the checkpoint right in front so it wouldn't get frustrating.

cyba89

Wish you could search courses by NNID or at worst, Mii name.

It's far from ideal but you could use miiverse for that if you really want to. You still have to manually enter the level ID though.
It's really strange and disappointing that you can't directly pick levels from miiverse and play them (like in MvsDK). You would think Nintendo would use this neat function they already implemented for one little eshop game in their biggest release for user generated content.

Oidisco

All my ideas fall flat.

Like, I feel I want to make something special, but when I put the pen to the touchscreen, it never comes out like my vision.

Anyone else feel like that?

I did at 1st. My 1st bunch of level attempts were trying to be overly complex or creative and nothing felt like it was working well.

What I then started doing was making levels with 1 simple idea at it's core, and then I tried to expand upon that to see what I could create. I'd have other small things like enemies or short platforming sections to change the pace a little, but otherwise that 1 mechanic was the only thing that mattered.

After changing up how I thought of making levels, they started getting much better with each one. I also found it easier to come up with different ideas.

Sephzilla

Couple more levels I made! Would appreciate feedback/stars. Hope you like them both

Pipes, Plants, and Peril - (10B4-0000-0030-ABB9)
A fairly simple underground level. Nothing too challenging, designed to be fun. I'd say it's maybe "world 3" level hard.
WVW69iYkgzUJSmI9IC

Captain Bowser's Pirate Fleet - (DD3D-0000-0030-C5B6)
Themed to be like a pirate ship that's carrying treasure. It's a bit of an open level that can be a little challenging in spots.
WVW69iYkqu4pviXlsq

Oidisco

Nice one, I especially loved the ending
where another Yoshi is waiting for you in Yoshi's home
. Though I would have liked if there was a secton where you had to use Yoshi to procceed.

Thanks!

I originally had planned on having a final section involving Yoshi, but I thought it would've messed up the levels pacing if I did that. The level is already pretty long anyway

Assanova

You guys might remember the reviewer that made that awesome Metroid U level. Well, the guy made a new version and it's even better. You guys should definitely try it if you want to experience a Metroid-like design. This is a real Metroid level, not a silly Amiibo showcase.

Metroid U V2

692B-0000-0030-EAEC

Video of the level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE0x6Qm-Q3c

IHUwo5t.jpg

Disclaimer: I'm good friends with the guy. :p

Wow. That was amazing to watch.

BashNasty

Couple new courses from me. I think they're halfway decently designed in the Super Mario World design, so I'd really love you guys to check 'em out and give me suggestions for improvements!

Baddie Bridges D8C2-0000-001E-B589
WVW69iYG1cwCtvzNWH

Fairly simple platforming course that focuses more on fun than challenge. Hopefully y'all find it fun.

Mushroom Top 54FC-0000-0017-9818
WVW69iX8qvgSy21H_x

Another fairly simple platforming course trying to replicate the aesthetic of all those awesome Super Mario World mushroom top courses.

danwu

Banned
Thanks for playing my 'normal' classic Super Mario Bros. levels guys! This is the last one for today.

Discovery Caves

Again, a pretty chill level with some difficult parts, this time underground. There are a few different routes to take to get some extra's, but how and why is up for you to figure out. You won't be throwing the controller at the screen from this level but still, it's no cakewalk either. Hopefully pretty balanced.

Information:
Name: Discovery Caves
Code: 0DE2-0000-0031-6BD2
Based on: Super Mario Bros.

0qV4KgE.jpg

Had to really work to finish this one but well worth the effort !

eXistor

I'm sure I'm not the first to notice, but if you leave the creator idle for a few minutes, flies start to appear on the screen and if you tap one, you get the full Gnat Attack game from Mario Paint. I didn't know about this at all until I stumbled upon it a few days ago, cool little easter egg!

Kinsei

Banned
Cool.

And can you upload entire Worlds, or make entire Worlds? Or is it just individual levels? I've been watching streams and am a little confused.

Just single levels.The slots for saving are titled 1-1. 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-1, etc but you can't make your own worlds.

7threst

You guys might remember the reviewer that made that awesome Metroid U level. Well, the guy made a new version and it's even better. You guys should definitely try it if you want to experience a Metroid-like design. This is a real Metroid level, not a silly Amiibo showcase.

Metroid U V2

692B-0000-0030-EAEC

IHUwo5t.jpg

This is amazing...

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Tried it a bunch. I really think you're onto something with this as a sub-genre/stage type, but this doesn't feel like it should be the stage to introduce that notion.
For instance, the first area could have a floor and a way to get back up to the top and try again, like the rope swinging sections in Wind Waker allowing someone to fail without having to begin again.

I feel like I'm well into "special worlds" in this stage, but maybe that's because this stage now comprises 90% of my Mario trampoline jumping time :)
I'm having the problem that I'm designing the kind of stages that I want to play. Which ARE levels that offer special world level difficulty. But I hear you. To be honest I don't think falling down is the hard part of the stage at all. And with that in mind I believe you're right that there's no reason I couldn't have a safety net on the floor instead of death, particularly early in the level.

KeRaSh

Metroid U V2

692B-0000-0030-EAEC

IHUwo5t.jpg

Very cool version of his idea and I got pretty far on my first try. Got to the Super Star but then I ended up on the giant Munchers again and didn't know where to go and what to do.
I guess I should have cleared the Munchers with the star while still having the Leaf but the Star ended and I lost the Leaf with 30 seconds left on the clock.
The run needs a pretty much perfect execution to get to the goal. Might give it another shot tomorrow.

Jrmint

Couple new courses from me. I think they're halfway decently designed in the Super Mario World design, so I'd really love you guys to check 'em out and give me suggestions for improvements!

Baddie Bridges D8C2-0000-001E-B589
WVW69iYG1cwCtvzNWH

Fairly simple platforming course that focuses more on fun than challenge. Hopefully y'all find it fun.

Mushroom Top 54FC-0000-0017-9818
WVW69iX8qvgSy21H_x

Another fairly simple platforming course trying to replicate the aesthetic of all those awesome Super Mario World mushroom top courses.
I played the second one. Really well designed but maybe a little too easy. I'd say take out the star at the end and maybe change the fire flower for a mushroom. Those 2 power ups make the hammer brother kinda pointless.

This game needs a checkpoint system item added as dlc immediately. It would make longer levels a lot more fun because you would be able to put in some more difficult sections with the checkpoint right in front so it wouldn't get frustrating.

IMO it does help encourage dialing back on overwhelming the player and pacing the level with doing it in one go in mind. Also adds an element of power up pacing as well to replenish the player's strength. It might come off as an inconvenience but could ultimately lead to better design practices.

Xscapist

[Sorry for the sudden repost, I screwed something up so badly that I deleted it and reuploaded.]

I'm back with another not-too-difficult but (hopefully) amusing level. This one explains the age old question of why Peach was always in another castle.

Peach's Escape (1D2E-0000-0031-94E6)

eIcWSbp.png

For those who enjoy secrets, see if you can find the alternate ending. I nearly used up the block limit on this one.

Jrmint

Check out my latest creation:

not2bad

7E40-0000-0031-A6AA

My first attempt at a fairly challenging level which I think also feels fair.

Top Bottom