• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

CorvoSol

Been playing SRW Z2.1 for the first time this summer.

Macross units sort of suck, though. They're all made out of paper and do like, no damage anyway. Meanwhile Gurren Lagann is like "Dohohoho, why can't I hold all this EXP?"

Jubern

Michel is kind of alright as a sniper, but you several of those already, including Crowe and Lockon. The rest aren't that good, unless you get the secret Tornado Pack for Alto, that redeems him.

Also, the fact that the game has a lot of large (L and over) enemies and those fucking dimensional monsters pretty much all have a barrier doesn't help...

CorvoSol

Michel is kind of alright as a sniper, but you several of those already, including Crowe and Lockon. The rest aren't that good, unless you get the secret Tornado Pack for Alto, that redeems him.

Also, the fact that the game has a lot of large (L and over) enemies and those fucking dimensional monsters pretty much all have a barrier doesn't help...

Does Crowe ever get any more Melee attacks, though? I've only ever played two games in this series, SRW J and W. I took Bellzelute in J and it was neat, although ranged attacks aren't my thing. Heck, in W I used the Arbalest's monomolecular cutter way more than anything. Partially because it had that AWESOME finisher with Lambda enabled, and partially because of the infinite ammo.

zeroshiki

Crowe's ultimate is either a melee or ranged depending on what you choose.

In SRW tradition, new series get imbalanced characters so Guren Lagann is basically a god in this game especially once you get Simon's ace bonus. Kallen is also horribly unbalanced since she's S, dodges like crazy and her ultimate ignores size and barriers.

Been playing SRW Z2.1 for the first time this summer.

Macross units sort of suck, though. They're all made out of paper and do like, no damage anyway. Meanwhile Gurren Lagann is like "Dohohoho, why can't I hold all this EXP?"

Par for the course. They're pretty crappy in the ACE games as well.

CorvoSol

Crowe's ultimate is either a melee or ranged depending on what you choose.

In SRW tradition, new series get imbalanced characters so Guren Lagann is basically a god in this game especially once you get Simon's ace bonus. Kallen is also horribly unbalanced since she's S, dodges like crazy and her ultimate ignores size and barriers.

That explains why Sousuke was an absurdly broken unit in J and W, I guess. I mean, Lambda Driver like, was an automatic 2x damage for the rest of the fight, plus he never had to worry about running out of energy (unless you bothered with the Urzu Strike) and while ammo was limited (sorta) he had that short sword that wasn't and could replenish ammo by making a quick jump onto a ship.

The Arbalest's one weakness was that it couldn't fly.

Also, Kallen can do a Shining Finger. It is only fair that she and her brother Kamina, as children of the almighty Domon Kasshu, be broken.

Par for the course. They're pretty crappy in the ACE games as well.

This reminds me that I should get back to trying to play ACER sometime.

In Z2-1 I don't think Gurren is as good as Shin Getter, Aquarion, the Dancougas, Zwei, etc.

In Z2-2 Gurren is almost as good as Shin Getter. Shin Getter is still the best overall super of both games, though.

In Z2-1 I don't think Gurren is as good as Shin Getter, Aquarion, the Dancougas, Zwei, etc.

In Z2-2 Gurren is almost as good as Shin Getter. Shin Getter is still the best overall super of both games, though.

Missing a Mazinger somewhere in there. Spiral Power activation is what's letting Gurren Lagann keep up with the other overpowered super robots. Anywho this argument is incredibly silly since in Z2 every unit is overpowered and broken and stupid. The only ones that tend to be really overpowered are the ones that get 1.1x-1.3x damage multiplies for ace bonus, special abilities or whatever and units that get extra damage as a FUB.

zeroshiki

Missing a Mazinger somewhere in there. Spiral Power activation is what's letting Gurren Lagann keep up with the other overpowered super robots. Anywho this argument is incredibly silly since in Z2 every unit is overpowered and broken and stupid. The only ones that tend to be really overpowered are the ones that get 1.1x-1.3x damage multiplies for ace bonus, special abilities or whatever and units that get extra damage as a FUB.

You just reminded me that with Setsuna's ace bonus, the Double 0 Gundam versus any other Gundam units or those FLAGs and shit is basically a God.

Tsukumo

Every PS3 game from Korea that ive played before is in Japanese, but Play Asia was making it sound like the game is in Korean.

Play Asia consumer service says it's completely in Japanese. I still have a hard time trusting them.
Anyway, maybe you could explain this to me: I don't get why a Japanese game would be published in Korea with dialogues, menus and v.a. completely in Japanese. How do they understand it? also, weren't product having Japanese ideograms on the cover banned by the government?

Play Asia consumer service says it's completely in Japanese. I still have a hard time trusting them.
Anyway, maybe you could explain this to me: I don't get why a Japanese game would be published in Korea with dialogues, menus and v.a. completely in Japanese. How do they understand it? also, weren't product having Japanese ideograms on the cover banned by the government?

Games are also released in Hong Kong completely in Japanese. I have no fucking idea why but it happens on a regular basis.

I have the Korean version of No More Heroes on the PS3. The manual, cover art and disc are in Korean, but the game itself is the Japanese version with English audio and Japanese text.

CorvoSol

You really don't!

I only spent like five bucks on it and it has FMP.

EDIT: Been playing more SRWZ2 and I've realized I kinda have certain set patterns to how I work my team. Like, I always have the Hot Mech run out in front and chew the enemies. In J and W it was Arbalest, now its Gurren Lagann. Then I have the Hero, who follows in close. Then I have my sniper (Kurz in J and W, Lockon and Michael in Z2) and Venus Alpha does the healing. Oh, and Gundams with MAPs for extra fun. Freedom, Justice, and Wing Zero in W.

Do I get Mazinkaiser in this game? Because that thing tore through enemies like no other.

Jubern

I only spent like five bucks on it and it has FMP.

Do I get Mazinkaiser in this game? Because that thing tore through enemies like no other.

Still too much. Trust me.

And like Lost said you "only" get Mazinger Z but it's a fucking beast. It even gets a MAP attack in Z2.2. Then again, that game is MAP central, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Jubern

Operation Extend is up on the Japanese PSN via search! Part one is available for 500 yens and the chapters 1 to 8 pack is 5980.

There's also a "Lelouch of the Rebellion" mission pack :
This download contains the additional mission "Lelouch of the Rebellion" as well as one Simulator Mission.
You will obtain a Lockon Sensor and a Hybrid Armor, as well as a bonus 5000 credits and 200 EC.

It costs a hundred yen, I might just buy it to see if it's worth it.

For the rest, it's Pay2Win DLC galore. There are boost for money, exp, EC, and even custom parts! Each kinds has three levels: effect lasting 5 stages for 100 yens, 15 stages for 200 yens and 30 stages for 300 yens, with a money and EC bonus too.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Operation Extend is up on the Japanese PSN via search! Part one is available for 500 yens and the chapters 1 to 8 pack is 5980.

There's also a "Lelouch of the Rebellion" mission pack :

It costs a hundred yen, I might just buy it to see if it's worth it.

For the rest, it's Pay2Win DLC galore. There are boost for money, exp, EC, and even custom parts! Each kinds has three levels: effect lasting 5 stages for 100 yens, 15 stages for 200 yens and 30 stages for 300 yens, with a money and EC bonus too.

Anyone grab it, and have any impressions? Initial 8 chapters can go by pretty quick for an SRW game, so was wondering exactly how long it would take to complete.

Did they announce how often they'd be releasing the other parts/mission packs?

CorvoSol

The only disappointment I'm really feeling playing SRWZ2 so far (as someone who, y'know, can't experience the story in a SRW game anyway), is that E7's units kinda got the shaft when it came to music. All that good music in the series and the movie brings us this one bleh song.

Bebpo

Banned
Played a little. Didn't seem particularly interesting. A bit of load times here and there on Vita and the combat animations are zzz. Sticking to my decision of passing on this SRW.

The series list in OE is fantastic but I'm not really feeling the 3D thing, the DLC galore and the download only approach. I kind of hope it's not a testbed for a template to be used on their next portable entries.

Speaking of the future, what are we expecting beyond this and Masou Kishin III?

OG3 or some OG gaiden?I can't imagine they wouldn't want to reuse some of these OG2 assets in some fashion. I guess they could still announce a PS3 game at this point.

Is Z3 a thing? Its natural home would be Vita but with Vita sales not being very hot, it could prove complicated.

I totally expect another couple of UX like games to release on 3DS.

The series list in OE is fantastic but I'm not really feeling the 3D thing, the DLC galore and the download only approach. I kind of hope it's not a testbed for a template to be used on their next portable entries.

Speaking of the future, what are we expecting beyond this and Masou Kishin III?

OG3 or some OG gaiden?I can't imagine they wouldn't want to reuse some of these OG2 assets in some fashion. I guess they could still announce a PS3 game at this point.

Is Z3 a thing? Its natural home would be Vita but with Vita sales not being very hot, it could prove complicated.

I totally expect another couple of UX like games to release on 3DS.

I'm hoping for an OG3 and Z3 at some point. Since Z2.1 and Z2.2 were on PSP, I think it's possible they might make Z3 for Vita. I don't know how well Z1 did compared to Z2 though so I'm not sure if moving to a portable system was more profitable for them. I wouldn't mind seeing Z3 on PS3 since it would be the finale.

Jubern

Heh, I'm finding the 3D in OE pretty nice honestly. And since I never played NEO, the gameplay is all kind of new for me and I like it so far.
Barely played yet (2-3 stages) because I was too busy, will get in more during the weekend.

On Z:
First one sold almost 500k first week.
Second one was divided in two parts that each sold 425k and 330k first week.
So I don't think there was any kind of problem with profitability :p

I don't see see announcing Z3 on Vita before another year or two down the road, and only if it picks up the pace a bit more here in Japan. SRW is pretty niche, it's always the same people buying it, so they can't really afford to put the finale of the current mainline series on a portable barely anyone has.
Especially not after the way they were disappointed with OG2nd sales, and that was on PS3.

Bebpo

Banned
No way Z3 is Vita. System is too dead in Japan. Either PS3 or maybe they even say "screw it" and put it on PSP.

Or it's 3DS, in which case the visuals, sound and everything take a step back from Z1/Z2, but I can't see them going that route.

I think PS3 is most likely.

Jubern

Heh, it's definitely not dead. I see more and more people carrying those, and the numbers, not very high, are pretty stable.
It's not a big success by any means, but it'll do just fine.
Still doesn't mean that it'll get Z3 though!

Maybe they'd do a PSP and Vita version? There are quite a few games doing that here. And by that I don't mean just release a PSP version that works on Vita like OE, but more like Toukiden that got a PSP/Vita dual release (that actually sold more on Vita, though by not much)

zeroshiki

The fact that SRW is niche (maybe not niche enough though) might be an argument FOR making it for the Vita since the hardcore fans would likely buy a Vita to play it. If I didn't have a Vita, I'd buy it for Z3 (I bought a 3DS for UX).

Tsukumo

Heh, I'm finding the 3D in OE pretty nice honestly. And since I never played NEO, the gameplay is all kind of new for me and I like it so far.
Barely played yet (2-3 stages) because I was too busy, will get in more during the weekend.

Been playing this too. Some thoughts.
-Bgm list is downright amazing. Rearrangements are very catchy and the soundtrack is Square-PS1 level of good. Even Heats from Getter Armageddon doesn't sound so bad anymore :D can't really stand that song.
-Bgm setting is a damn mess. There's no option to select the same song for all units, or for all the weapons (yes, you can change each weapon's bgm) so you need a lot of time to fix things your way. At the moment I can't seem to find a way to customize Getter's bgms: you can set them for Getter 1 but not for Getter 2 or Getter 3. Maybe in the mission menu, maybe. Hopefully they'll patch it with the next chapters.
-camera work is...problematic. It did well on the Gamecube, but here you keep getting the same angle over and over. Colours are more intense when compared to SRW Neo and SRW GC and there are more details, but there's A LOT of jaggies.
-a bit of loading time. Nothing PS1 level, but maybe Z1 on PS2 level of "slow". Coming from Z2 it's a noticeable difference.
-fighting system is amazing. I'm still in the early stages, but from time to time you get yourself out of tricky situations using some of the more unique features and it really feels different, new, and fresh. I hope later stages will prove testing.
-All units have support attack and support defence. There's a lot of voice acting I didn't ever heard of for a lot of characters since I played most SRW without skill and mech upgrades.
-I skip most dialogues because I want to see how long the game is, so don't know much about the plot. Main character doesn't really stand out. He sounds and acts a lot like the main character in Ace 3 on Ps2. Very average and uninspired.
-Original enemy units are called Mucus :D
-people on gamefaqs complain about the screen (especially when it comes to texts) but I'm using the cable for HDTV and the problem doesn't apply there. Played a bit on the PSP screen and yes, it's Gundam Chronichles (the Artdink games) level of eye-squinting.

Especially not after the way they were disappointed with OG2nd sales, and that was on PS3.

How did it do?
I think they didn't sell it properly to be honest. I'm about to get the game on Monday, Thursday so I started to get interested only now: so I go on Youtube, I look at some walkthrough and I find out there are extremely detailed and cinematic sequences, animation during scenarios like an high profile adventure novel,
Guests come back
I mean, where was all this in the previews?
IMO they are pushing OG too much in the same way they do with mainstream SRW: animations, animations, animations. Granted they made some good effort for the tv show, but they can't keep hiding major plot points and major characters like they did with the first two OGs on Gba. They are treating the OG franchise as if it's still a niche market, hoping to "cheat" newcomers with gorgeous animations, instead of putting more energy in making clear how rich the plot, the artwork and the production values are.

Shouta

Digging OE so far but it needs a better intro to the story.

That aside, lots of numbers and stuff to fiddle with.

CorvoSol

Been playing OE a bit. Hard to get around 'cuz I don't read a lick of Japanese and the menus aren't translated like in some. This is the first SRW I've ever played where 1)Movement costs EN and 2) things aren't in a grid.

That said, the OG mech looks okay. It's no Valhawk, but it isn't bad. MC is my favorite OG character, though, mostly because of the neck tie. Love neck ties.

In SRWZ2 I got the Zeta Gundam! And like twenty other Gundams but I mean who cares when you have ZETA GUNDAM. My boy Kamille is at the wheel. He's not Judau, and he winds up with Unfortunately Fa, but still, Kamille Bidan is here so move yoselves out the way.

ZETA GUNDAM!!!

zeroshiki

Been playing OE a bit. Hard to get around 'cuz I don't read a lick of Japanese and the menus aren't translated like in some. This is the first SRW I've ever played where 1)Movement costs EN and 2) things aren't in a grid.

That said, the OG mech looks okay. It's no Valhawk, but it isn't bad. MC is my favorite OG character, though, mostly because of the neck tie. Love neck ties.

In SRWZ2 I got the Zeta Gundam! And like twenty other Gundams but I mean who cares when you have ZETA GUNDAM. My boy Kamille is at the wheel. He's not Judau, and he winds up with Unfortunately Fa, but still, Kamille Bidan is here so move yoselves out the way.

ZETA GUNDAM!!!

In Alpha, units lose EN when they move don't they? Only flying units?

Pretty sure that's still the case in all SRW games. If a unit is flying it costs energy to move, don't remember if it exactly applies to space as well. Heck in SRW Z LFOs have "Air movement does not consume EN." as a special ability.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

Pretty sure that's still the case in all SRW games. If a unit is flying it costs energy to move, don't remember if it exactly applies to space as well. Heck in SRW Z LFOs have "Air movement does not consume EN." as a special ability.

It applies to all SRW games, as far as I'm aware.

If you're managing EN on a unit, unless you're in a hurry to get to your destination, you want to land the sucker and just have them walk. :p

And I'll have to double check, but there should be some sort of minor attack/defense modifier when you're flying as opposed to being grounded. I know for sure terrain modifers are affected (specifically, being in the air as opposed to being in water).

Top Bottom