• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

CorvoSol

Just finished Level 48 in Hakai-Hen. Mind you the only 00 units I'd used in the entire game were Dynames and Ptolemaios. Since I had the vaguest inclination something like this might happen, I'd been leveling up Exia, but he was still woefully behind.

Then the whole lot of 00 units are dumped alone against a hilarious number of enemies who, because I don't like 00 and didn't use anybody but Lockon, are all twice the level of any of these guys.

Then I get lucky and survive long enough for the team to show up and bail me out.

Then Setsuna goes for a showdown against ol' what'sis'name. Alone. Exia is level 32, doesn't have even like, Valor, and has to win this fight. Baaaaargh.

Are there any other series I need to build up so that they can survive in 2.2?

Tsukumo

Just got back from reading a bunch of impressions on OE 2nd chapter, and apparently difficulty does spike up. Apparently main mission 7 is a chain-mission divided in three parts, with constant enemy respawn and bosses coming from all sides.
YES!

For the record, in this chapter the new additions are Code Geass, Zoids, G Gundam, Ryu Knight (as people already knew), Lamune and Votoms Red Shoulder documents.
Still no Dunbine and no Ryger for me. I'm disappoint :(

Jubern

Are there any other series I need to build up so that they can survive in 2.2?

From what I can remember, there a indeed a few situation in Saisei where you get only a few units, or even a single one, and need to deal with a fair bit of enemies or a boss. Characters concerned are Ptolemaios team and Chirico. There's also a 2 on 2 thing where you only have Lelouch and Kallen but IIRC it's really easy and/or backups come soon.

There's also a 2 on 2 thing where you only have Lelouch and Kallen but IIRC it's really easy and/or backups come soon.

Shouldn't be an issue if you made the right choice and went with the Kummen route. Also Kallen/Gurren are one of the most broken things in the game and can probably solo the map anyway.

CorvoSol

From what I can remember, there a indeed a few situation in Saisei where you get only a few units, or even a single one, and need to deal with a fair bit of enemies or a boss. Characters concerned are Ptolemaios team and Chirico. There's also a 2 on 2 thing where you only have Lelouch and Kallen but IIRC it's really easy and/or backups come soon.

So I'm still forced to build up the 00 units in Saisei? I mean, I'd planned on doing so with Setsuna because its a waste not to build up a protagundam, but I kinda sorta don't even want to look at Lockon2. Chirico I'm half concerned, half not. Because his unit is sorta on the lower end of HP, but at the same time the level I had to do as just him wasn't that hard in Hakai Hen.

Shouldn't be an issue if you made the right choice and went with the Kummen route. Also Kallen/Gurren are one of the most broken things in the game and can probably solo the map anyway.

Yeah I'm not worried about Kallen/Gurren at all. I use her a lot anyway and she is like hella broken.

So what carries over from Z2.1 to 2.2? And which of the two is better? Brasta Red or Blue? Red has kinda dorky looking elf feet, but I was leaning toward it anyway.

OE is pretty easy, especially if you throw all your upgrades/parts into a few supers, or start grinding, etc. They can just roll over the map most of the time, like most modern SRWs. Or buy an upgrade limit remover for a super like Dancouga or Shin Getter, they'll basically be able to duo most maps with an an EN support behind them.

If you want above avg. difficulty SRWs, look at Alpha Gaiden, A Portable, Z1 Ex-Hard, OG2 Ex-Hard, etc.

Ranged Brasta is techically better in combat in Z2-1 and Z2-2. As for looks, it's up to you.

B.K.

I've only played the Original Generation games Atlus released and want to play a real entry in the series. What games have complete English fan translations?

By complete you mean menus and all dialogue?

Alpha Gaiden, J, and 3. that's all I can think of right now.

There are a bunch with just menu translations. Google is your friend for finding those.

CorvoSol

Finished Hakai Hen. Even though it doesn't unhorse W as my fave, its definitely a better game in like, every single way. Probably gonna go with Red Brasta next game.

Shouta

I've been playing OE like I would any normal SRW. No grinding and it's been pretty easy but it'll probably pick up a little later on.

Yeah throw all your upgrades and parts into Dancouga and GoShogun and they can basically duo most of the game so far. They are massively more powerful than the rest of the cast.

Shouta

I find the Eldoran mechs more powerful than GoShogun or Dancougar right now. Mostly because they have a free HP/EN refill. At least in this early stage because of how rough EN refilling can be.

Jubern

Red Brasta always felt wrong to me, since they sell you Crowe as a more Sniper type of guy. Plus I don't its last attack is on par with the blue one.

Anyway have fun. I know some people didn't agree with me on that, but I found Saisei to be the better one!

CorvoSol

Red Brasta always felt wrong to me, since they sell you Crowe as a more Sniper type of guy. Plus I don't its last attack is on par with the blue one.

Anyway have fun. I know some people didn't agree with me on that, but I found Saisei to be the better one!

Red Brasta has laser swords coming out of its hands. That's all I needed to see. Even its doofy elf shoe feet can't stop that from being rad.

CorvoSol

It's final attack is Shin Shine Spark. In a game that already has Shin Getter Robo even.

Yeah, I think the blue one has a cooler finishing move, but I dunno, Blue just feels like "Brasta . . . now with blue!" where Red feels like a new mech.

Also: What effects other than apparently giving Lelouch a good ending, does collecting Zero points have? Do I get other units I otherwise would not have?
Does Euphemia come back from the dead?

robotnik

Asked once in gaming discussion, but neogaf is moving too fast :\
I'm new to series too, but unlike OP I interested in SRW, because of mechas. I'm still watching anime (need to finish: Reideen, Aquarion, Macross and almost all Gundam) in preparation, but I think about starting point.
I got my eye on Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Taisen Z Hakai-hen and Saisei-hen. Am I doing it right?

Shouta

Z1 or Z2 if you want to start with an SRW with a few familiar series. The big thing is that there will be a bunch of series in Z2 that had their story told in Z1 so you might be confused on what's going on with them when they show up.

OG1 and OG2 on GBA are a good starting point if you want to play in English and familiarize yourself with the mechanics and menus. Only original characters though.

robotnik

Z1 or Z2 if you want to start with an SRW with a few familiar series. The big thing is that there will be a bunch of series in Z2 that had their story told in Z1 so you might be confused on what's going on with them when they show up.
As I thought. Thank you for response.

OG1 and OG2 on GBA are a good starting point if you want to play in English and familiarize yourself with the mechanics and menus. Only original characters though.
Japanese language isn't a problem and familiar mechas is something I want to see.

They are also old, the mechanics are a bit outdated and they are certainly not friendly to newcomers. I had a much easier time playing Z2 without knowing a single thing about the game by just poking at the menus than the old OG1/2.

Hitsukara

Neo Member
They are also old, the mechanics are a bit outdated and they are certainly not friendly to newcomers. I had a much easier time playing Z2 without knowing a single thing about the game by just poking at the menus than the old OG1/2.

I don't really think they is really a big difference between Z2 and OG1/OG2 for the mechanics itself. It is just that both Z2 are really easy so you can do whatever you want to beat the game.

And also the original plot of Z2 is following the original plot of Z1 so it is always better to begin by Z1 if you are interested in this.

I am currently playing OE.I just finished the 7-1/2/3 of chapter 2 and it really was horrible, little map (again) with maybe 7 or 8 waves of some weak grunts coming. That was not difficult but really long and sometimes I was wondering if there was not a hidden objective I did not see.

zeroshiki

All of Brasta ES' upgrades carry over to Brasta, right?

Yes. You should upgrade her to max if you like using either of them. The VOTOMs units are also great bang for the buck especially if you get the shoulder cannon version which Fiana can ride.

CorvoSol

Yes. You should upgrade her to max if you like using either of them. The VOTOMs units are also great bang for the buck especially if you get the shoulder cannon version which Fiana can ride.

So if I max her do those max upgrades carry over to Li Brasta, too?

Now as much as I appreciate SRW Z still using sprites in some instances.

Holy crap what the hell is this abomination?!

DTFupKP.jpg

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
There's been a bunch of mini ones, but the 2nd official PV for Super Robot Taisen Original Generation Saga Masou Kishin Pride of Justice.

(OW MY FINGERS, TITLE TOO LONG)

http://youtu.be/JgG7cN68emY

Now my dilemma, get the Vita or the PS3 version...

CorvoSol

Is it normal for SRW to make you think a series is better than you think it is? I hated 00 but that Trans Am theme is so catchy and his Gundams so cool I'm going to use Setsuna the whole game anyway.

Just wondering if this happens to other people, like with SEED Destiny or Pocket Full of Rainbows or other series like that.

Import the PS3 version, download the Vita one while you wait for it to arrive.

I still didn't even finish Masou Kishin 1

Is it normal for SRW to make you think a series is better than you think it is? I hated 00 but that Trans Am theme is so catchy and his Gundams so cool I'm going to use Setsuna the whole game anyway.
Yes and no. 00 was always that cool. Destiny got a major rewrite that made it much better and Gravion is more entertaining when divorced from all the parts that don't involve giant robots. Then there is also stuff like Shin Mazinger and Getter Robo which can only try to be as cool as the real show but never succeeding.

Bebpo

Banned

Just wondering if this happens to other people, like with SEED Destiny or Pocket Full of Rainbows or other series like that.

Totally normal.

I love SEED Destiny in Z and some of the DS games. In reality show sucks. GunxSword was way better too because it cut all the filler and just made it about FIGHTIN' ROBOTS FOR REVENGE. I'd rather play through most mecha series in SRW form than watch them tbh. Most mecha anime is not very good lol Some are really good, but your average mecha show is a mess.

zeroshiki

On that note, which SRW game has the best version of G Gundam? Because J's was sort of a let down.

Super Robot Wars F Final has G Gundam. You even get to start as Shining Gundam and Domon eventually works his way up to an upgrade. As a bonus, the F series (duology?) has the best Evangelion implementation I've seen (they need plugs so movement is limited and Shinji goes berserker when exploded).

CorvoSol

Super Robot Wars F Final has G Gundam. You even get to start as Shining Gundam and Domon eventually works his way up to an upgrade. As a bonus, the F series (duology?) has the best Evangelion implementation I've seen (they need plugs so movement is limited and Shinji goes berserker when exploded).

Does F go up to the
Rain!DevilGundam
stuff or end at the Tournament?

zeroshiki

Does F go up to the
Rain!DevilGundam

It's been a really long time since I've seen G Gundam and played F so I'm not sure (maybe someone else can help?). I do remember the love love attack thingy being in F so it probably went all the way to the end.

Jubern

Totally happened to me with Destiny and Gravion. Destiny was super bearable in Z, I actually liked how it turned out and the interaction with other casts (Shinn and Kamille, bros4lyfe). Gravion was just FUCKING AWESOME, and then I tried the anime and could watch more than half of season 1.
Aquarion wasn't that good either, and I hear that Orguss is actually pretty terribly too.

Z really did an amazing job lol

---

Oh and I played just the first stage of SRW2 PS1 version yesterday... Yeah it's going to be painful. I can deal with how dated the mechanics are, but the fact that there's no way to skip animation might kill it for me. I can see myself playing SRW2 all the way since it's not that long, but SRW3 and it's 60-something stages is a different thing.
Shu route in EX is less than 20 stages long IIRC so I'll definitely play that. But I only want to play his route so I'll need to find a save...

Tsukumo

Oh and I played just the first stage of SRW2 PS1 version yesterday... Yeah it's going to be painful. I can deal with how dated the mechanics are, but the fact that there's no way to skip animation might kill it for me. I can see myself playing SRW2 all the way since it's not that long, but SRW3 and it's 60-something stages is a different thing.
Shu route in EX is less than 20 stages long IIRC so I'll definitely play that. But I only want to play his route so I'll need to find a save...

There's a save file on Gamefaqs with Masaki and Rune routes completed. It's in the complete Box section.
I played SRW 2 ten years, couldn't stand the loading times and the plot was very meh. Very small amount of battle quotes and excruciating loading times. SRW 3 I never finished. Ex was cool because Dunbine was in it :D

CorvoSol

I wish I could complain about the plots of SRW games, but only what, 3 have ever been translated, and the only story translations I can find are GameFAQs' MNeidegard and appreciative as I am of that person's efforts, his English can at times be frustrating to read.

Does F go up to the
Rain!DevilGundam
It's been a while but at the time, the G Gundam coverage felt pretty complete.

There's been a bunch of mini ones, but the 2nd official PV for Super Robot Taisen Original Generation Saga Masou Kishin Pride of Justice.

(OW MY FINGERS, TITLE TOO LONG)

http://youtu.be/JgG7cN68emY

Confession time: since I couldn't choose, I preordered both versions 3 weeks ago. I'll play it from my euro account, which makes digital on Vita a big no but I do wonder what will happen with that Valsione DLC considering I should be able to use it on PS3 and cross save to Vita while not having it on the Vita. That will be an interesting experiment.

That's really the biggest thing Alpha brought to the table, being able to skip fights. IMO, it's the biggest change in the whole series.
Voices, skill points, setting BGMs, button shortcuts on the map to transform units or swap members, better animations, scenario flow charts were all cool innovations brought over time but skippable animations was ace.

TBH, I absolutely love the original series, played them to death on SFC, replayed them to death on PS1, bought a Saturn for F but I have a really hard time touching them now.

It's better to play the older SRWs on an emulator where you can speed up the unskippable animations. The gameplay is pretty good if you can get past that.

Top Bottom