• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Golnei

N64 water

For once, that isn't completely hyperbole.

tumblr_o4ise4nuBJ1v5gk1xo1_400.gif

At times, it arguably looked better...

tumblr_o1qy6gWTue1s3uawvo1_400.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wish Smash has what he has though - terrain effects.

Though I guess Inklings will be able to do that. Soon.

Dedede should be able to learn a thing or two from his other royal penguin brethren. He should throw his weight around to move fast!

I'm not entirely sure how ink would even work on a stage like Flat Zone where there's no depth so you couldn't easily see the ink.

Also a stage like Corneria, where the actual area the character's walk is thin, might be tricky to do ink properly there.

Boss Doggie

Yeah it'd probably have that effect, basically the puddle would be wide enough that on a flat/thin plane it'd spill over the sides

To be fair, Liam does seem to be fairly reliable when it comes to the Switch. I recall him hinting at a third party collaboration, before Laura revealed it to be the Mario X Rabbids crossover.

To be fair, Liam does seem to be fairly reliable when it comes to the Switch. I recall him hinting at a third party collaboration, before Laura revealed it to be the Mario X Rabbids crossover.

That's true, but he doesn't seem to want to make a big deal out of this.

Had he just said "well, I guess my source thought the amiibo was for Smash. Sorry" it would have been totally understandable. The design document used the Smash base, and third party amiibos were a new thing nobody had any idea was happening at the time.

But no...

Zubz

Banned
Liam Robertson of Unseen64 said he heard there will be new characters, but as he mentioned here, we probably shouldn't put too much stock into a guy with a Bee Movie avatar.

bee movie 4 smash

Dude also intentionally trolled about Doshin the Giant making it in.
I kind of want that to happen, though.

I'm guessing he's still sore that Yacht Club Games never cut him a check for all the free marketing he gave Shovel Knight.

Part of me still thinks that rumor sparked enough interest for Shovel Knight to get into Smash, and would find it hilarious if a fake leak led to a real inclusion.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Dude also intentionally trolled about Doshin the Giant making it in.
I kind of want that to happen, though.

distinctly Doshin The Giant shaped hole in the Smash Bros. roster.

Sound like a veteran if it's a hint since some fans considered Ice Climbers being absence as a huge hole in the roster.

Again, he have been wrong with some rumors in the past so I would take it with a grain of salt.

Boss Doggie

I mean

at this point we shouldn't really trust anything regarding Smash characters

do you want another Bayonetta?

Actually wait I take that back, yes I want something of a surprise like Bayonetta! shake those echo chambers and burst those bubbles!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It's not.

I'm going with probable with "if" and the fact he have been wrong before so of course I know that :p

I mean

at this point we shouldn't really trust anything regarding Smash characters

do you want another Bayonetta?

Actually wait I take that back, yes I want something of a surprise like Bayonetta! shake those echo chambers and burst those bubbles!

Not Corrin, Ryu or Cloud? Those characters also broke so many fan-made rules people had for Smash roster as well.

Boss Doggie

Not Corrin, Ryu or Cloud? Those characters also broke so many fan-made rules people had for Smash roster as well.
Bayonetta primarily because of the poll thing.

Those characters did break the mindshare but Bayonetta especially had the polls.

I mean, we still have people in denial.

So I'm certain everyone's already heard the Melee on Switch VC rumor, but our friends at Source Gaming heard some more interesting news regarding Smash Switch: a director's cut version containing Wii U/3DS content alongside two new characters.

If it's just two, I wonder who they are.

Two characters would be super low and incredibly disappointing.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was the case; porting and upgrading content from the 3DS version is probably a lot more work than we think. I'll take what I can get.

At the very least, I'd assume these would be newcomers so as to be an enticing draw. so no Ice Climbers or the like.

Boss Doggie

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was the case; porting and upgrading content from the 3DS version is probably a lot more work than we think. I'll take what I can get.

At the very least, I'd assume these would be newcomers so as to be an enticing draw. so no Ice Climbers or the like.

so once again hope is shattered

PK Gaming

Well, as long as I get my Joker (P5) i'm satisfied

The 2nd character could be Pig Ganon for all I care (actually that would be kind of cool...)

jph139

I figured we'd only get 2-4. This is probably a skeleton crew dev team.

In that case, I think it'd be Ice Climbers and either Chorus Kids (if it's just "characters that were cut in development") or Inkling (for the "well duh" choice). Possibly another third party instead if Nintendo was pushing for it.

I'm pretty sure a large chunk of the 3DS content was made in higher quality and downported to the 3DS.

Brawl had a similar development like that. Assets were much higher quality than the Wii could ever render.

Neoxon

So I'm certain everyone's already heard the Melee on Switch VC rumor, but our friends at Source Gaming heard some more interesting news regarding Smash Switch: a director's cut version containing Wii U/3DS content alongside two new characters.

Just two characters is a bit disappointing, but understandable if it's basically just a skeleton crew working on this. I suppose the additional 3DS content could make up for it, but it just seems a bit sparse compared to the upgrades that MK8 & Splatoon are getting.

If this is true, I'm gonna guess Ice Climbers & Inklings.

Two characters is the minimum I would have expected from Smash 4 Switch. Downside is that only two characters means we'll get one returning character (likely the ICies) and one newcomer. There's a chance this could be taken as getting two smash newcomers but I doubt that's the case.

What I want to know about is the new stages. I'm hoping we can get stages like Yoshi's Island Brawl and Pokemon Stadium back so the legal stagelist can become nine.

Still going with my prediction that we'll ultimately get three new characters (ICies, Wolf and a newcomer), regardless.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Two characters would be super low and incredibly disappointing.

I can't really say that I'm going to be disappointed yet, since I really want to know who are those two characters first. Also keep it in your mind with the fact the smash rumors are rarely right because anything could change in the development. Smash leaks usually become more reliable when we are so close to it's release.

I'm going to playing around with the notion if it's real.

• If they couldn't get Ice Climbers working on Smash Switch, then my guess would be Inkling and Rhythm Heaven.
  • If they got Ice Climbers working on Smash Switch, then it's Ice Climbers and Inkling/Rhythm Heaven.

It's plausible that we could get more than two characters since the source might not have any complete informations on him. I meant Gematsu didn't know Chrom got replaced by Robin, and Chorus Men got cut. Also Gematsu didn't even mention Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. I think it might be for best if people just temper their expectation for the best.

If we are going to get two characters then it's plausible that they might held off Smash for Switch announcement until E3.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

It would be odd if they didn't do high quality assets for those 3DS stages beforehand they downscaled those to fit in 3DS version. I meant it might be wise choice to do everything with HQ assets so they could re-use those assets in the future title, if they want to bring 3DS stages back.

It's plausible they didn't and it would make sense that it might take quite awhile for them to upscale the assets and redone the assets with HQ models. I'm fine with whatever we are getting for Smash for Switch. If they get Spirit Train and Magifant in then I would be very happy.

so once again hope is shattered

I wonder what chance we would able to see Sakurai doing DLC characters once again? I'm going to be a negative nanny, and say, very unlikely.

What I want to know about is the new stages. I'm hoping we can get stages like Yoshi's Island Brawl and Pokemon Stadium back so the legal stagelist can become nine.

You, I like you. :D Bring me more legal stages. Yoshi Island Brawl is one of best Yoshi Island stage.

Well, their animations and models were done in December 2015, but they were going through bug-test, etc before they had to release them.
Not only that but they definitely made mechanic adjustments between December and February if you look at Bayonetta's Bat Within for instance. In the direct they described it as the result of timing Witch Time too early/late.

I'm pretty sure a large chunk of the 3DS content was made in higher quality and downported to the 3DS.

Brawl had a similar development like that. Assets were much higher quality than the Wii could ever render.

It would be odd if they didn't do high quality assets for those 3DS stages beforehand they downscaled those to fit in 3DS version. I meant it might be wise choice to do everything with HQ assets so they could re-use those assets in the future title, if they want to bring 3DS stages back.

It's plausible they didn't and it would make sense that it might take quite awhile for them to upscale the assets and redone the assets with HQ models. I'm fine with whatever we are getting for Smash for Switch. If they get Spirit Train and Magifant in then I would be very happy.

Could someone explain how this "downscaled high quality asset" thing works? This is new to me.

I just hope that (assuming only a limited number of 3DS stages make it to the director's cut) Magicant and Yoshi's Island (Brawl) both make it.

Reasoning: Magicant for the aesthetics, and Yoshi's Island (Brawl) for the expanding the competitive stage list.

I just hope that (assuming only a limited number of 3DS stages make it to the director's cut) Magicant and Yoshi's Island (Brawl) both make it.

Reasoning: Magicant for the aesthetics, and Yoshi's Island (Brawl) for the expanding the competitive stage list.

For me, the must-haves are Magicant, Mute City, Yoshi's Island, Rainbow Road, Dream Land GB, Tortimer Island and Balloon Fight. Maybe WarioWare, Corneria and the Zelda/Pokemon stages as well.

Really, I'd love to see everything come back (barring Flat Zone 2, since it's pretty much the same as Flat Zone X), but I really do wonder if it's plausible to transfer 28 exclusive stages. It'd be a cool bonus if we got 3DS versions of shared stages as well (Battlefield, Final Destination, and Wily's Castle).

Top Bottom