• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

We’ve heard that “Smash for Switch” (name not final) is a combination of 3DS and Wii U content, a ‘director’s cut’. The game will feature some new content including 2 new characters.

Let's look at the definition of director’s cut itself.

director's cut- a version of a movie that reflects the director's original intentions, released after the first studio version.

180px-IceClimbersTrophyWiiU.png

If this means cut characters, then Ice Climbers is most likely one of the first characters we will see in the Smash Switch version. Ice Climbers were originally meant to be added according to Sakurai in interviews, but they were scrapped when the 3DS could not handle them.

120px-ChorusMenTrophy3DS.png

This also means Chorus Kids have a very high chance in getting in. With notable Rhythm Heaven content such as enemies in 3DS Smash Run and the Gematsu leak being heavily speculated to be an original proposal for newcomers, I think we will finally see Chorus Kids coming to fruition as fighters in the Smash Switch version.

Those are the two characters I definitely see happening for the initial Switch version of Smash, according to Source Gaming’s leak. Beyond those two, I do not think there were any other characters that could’ve been planned for original release of Smash Wii U/3DS.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'll go for Inklings and Ice Climbers. And, if they are super duper awesome about it, maybe a third party character as a bonus.

I stand by my prediction of Ice Climbers, Wolf, Inkling, Rhythm Heaven character, and a surprise wild card character (which I'm inclined to believe it's Rayman after the recent Rabbids game leak).

I'm thinking the same except for Rhythm Heaven being replaced by a Sun/Moon Pokemon.

Seeing a lot of people on reddit and such places hyping up Melee HD with online play on the Switch

...they really shouldn't hype themselves that much. It'll probably be a barely upressed (if at all) Melee with no additional features or anything. Just a ROM dump running in Nintendo's version of Dolphin. Maybe with USB GCN support if Nintendo is feeling adventurous. It's a VC release, not a remaster.

Two new characters is better than nothing, but I was kinda hoping they'd keep the hype train going a little longer. It would be really exciting to have a Marvel vs. Capcom and Smash hype cycle going on at once.

Assuming this is true, anyway.

Seeing a lot of people on reddit and such places hyping up Melee HD with online play on the Switch

...they really shouldn't hype themselves that much. It'll probably be a barely upressed (if at all) Melee with no additional features or anything. Just a ROM dump running in Nintendo's version of Dolphin. Maybe with USB GCN support if Nintendo is feeling adventurous. It's a VC release, not a remaster.

Shit, even just the barest bones effort of a VC release would be enough for me as long as I can use some sort of wired controller, doesn't even have to be a gc controller. I'll play Melee with an arcade stick if I have to, if it means I can play it on an HDTV without worrying about input delay.

NeonZ

It would be odd if they didn't do high quality assets for those 3DS stages beforehand they downscaled those to fit in 3DS version. I meant it might be wise choice to do everything with HQ assets so they could re-use those assets in the future title, if they want to bring 3DS stages back.

It's plausible they didn't and it would make sense that it might take quite awhile for them to upscale the assets and redone the assets with HQ models. I'm fine with whatever we are getting for Smash for Switch. If they get Spirit Train and Magifant in then I would be very happy.

The main issue is that quite a few 3ds stages were based on 3ds or even DS games. So, they might just have use assets from the original games for those stages - which would mean there wouldn't higher quality ones available.

The main issue is that quite a few 3ds stages were based on 3ds or even DS games. So, they might just have use assets from the original games for those stages - which would mean there wouldn't higher quality ones available.

I think that would only be an issue on the DS stage rips. The 3DS stages probably have higher quality models. And even if they didn't, they wouldn't really look out of place in HD, just basically on the same level as the Melee stages look.

For example
SSB4_-_SSFlavion.jpg

Up the resolution on the textures a bit, and this would look fine in HD

However, you run into this, a stage that uses low res 2D sprites. Would be close to impossible to scale the stage to HD without it looking awful.
SSB4_Golden_Plains.JPG

But... meh. Not a terribly good stage, it doesn't necessarily need to be ported if it looks terrible.

But this is the same series where this stage
800px-SSB4UDreamLand64.png

Has been in 4/5 Smash games. And it was only slightly updated for Smash 4, but nothing major (basically just the leaves). So I don't think it's a huge deal if some of the 3DS stages that use DS assets (like Spirit Tracks) look a little weird in HD.

And even Spirit Tracks is using up-res DS textures, since the DS textures do not look like this
(emulator shot with enhanced resolution)

NeonZ

The train was redone, but it looks like the distant background elements, like the trees are direct rips.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
...they really shouldn't hype themselves that much

9slIceI.gif

That's actually a good point. There are some stages that are based on old assets, like Spirit Train, etc. I really hope they would able to bring Spirit Train into Smash Switch. I really like that stage.

Could someone explain how this "downscaled high quality asset" thing works? This is new to me.

Well, I will use characters as example since it's easier and more reliable in term of how they did it.

1. They made characters models in high quality for Smash U, once they are done with the models
2. They would downscaled or downgraded the models into 3DS resolutions so Nintendo 3DS would able to load and running those models without any difficulties.
3. They would add some kind of color filters since the art direction for Smash 3DS is different from Smash U.

That's actually a good point. There are some stages that are based on old assets, like Spirit Train, etc. I really hope they would able to bring Spirit Train into Smash Switch. I really like that stage.
Sakurai could always reuse the Sprit Train's model from Hyrule Warriors and certain other assets from that game and Wind Waker HD to make that stage look good in HD

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'll be honest, I'm not really big with Rare fans especially with the way how they post and so I'm not really big with Rare characters being in the game.

Seriously, the Rare Replay had a certain muppet going "Microsoft did what Nintendon't" as though Nintendo has the capacity to use any ugly, plastic-looking Rare characters.

Why do people always single out Rare when it comes "shitty outdated looking character renders"?

It was the 90s, everyone's renders looked weird as shit.

mario.jpg

Penguin.jpg

are you a wizard

I don't know, people like to talk about how "hideous" Banjo & Kazooie and Conker look, and I think they look fine, even in their 'outdated' renders.

Probably because most of Rare's characters never got modern revamps (see the JFG crew) or the ones that did have a stigma attached (BK Nuts and Bolts) so they're often referred to by their original rendered looks.

And with the DKC characters, the use of pre rendered sprites always had them more attached to their original renders than other characters.

As an aside, I grew to really like the look of modern Banjo and Kazooie.

I really hope Banjo & Kazooie will never be in Smash. I don't even want to imagine the constant squawking and screeching they would bring to the game. :s

"And then all the noise. All the noise, noise, noise, NOISE!"

Have you ever played a Banjo & Kazooie game? It's a constant onslaught of screams and screeches and squawks and beeps and sproings and ditties and voice lines and even if there's no sound effects at all - as if that would ever happen - you have the terrible terrible soundtrack with the obnoxious horns. It's sensory overload.

These games should be considered noise pollution.

Have you ever played a Banjo & Kazooie game? It's a constant onslaught of screams and screeches and squawks and beeps and sproings and ditties and voice lines and even if there's no sound effects at all - as if that would ever happen - you have the terrible terrible soundtrack with the obnoxious horns. It's sensory overload.

These games should be considered noise pollution.

I've played through Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie many times, they're some of my favorite games. Yeah they are noisy but that's always been part of the charm really. The mumbling whenever a character speaks is funny.

And a "terrible terrible soundtrack"? Really? You dissing Grant Kirkhope the god?

We've dealt with Diddy Kong for 8+ years

Imagine if Banjo & Kazooie actually did get into Smash...and Sakurai gave them realistic bear and bird noises instead of Chris Sutherland's voice work lol

I've played through Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie many times, they're some of my favorite games. Yeah they are noisy but that's always been part of the charm really. The mumbling whenever a character speaks is funny.

I never liked the games, and the audio overload makes them less charming and more obnoxious. :S

And a "terrible terrible soundtrack"? Really? You dissing Grant Kirkhope the god?

The horns of Banjo-Kazooie's soundtrack are the stuff of nightmares.

Or like, in an alternate best timeline this is what they've always sounded like (I can't believe how much more natural these voices sound than the ones they actually use)

I know I'm in the minority but I'm really really glad that Sakurai opted to have the animal sounds for DK, Diddy and to a lesser extent Bowser.
I've always absolutely loathed the "HOO HEE HEE" voice Nintendo has given DK in particular, it sounds so freaking dumb.

okay for real though

I get Sakurai loves giving DK and Diddy monkey noises, he's been doing that since 64

but why tf does Bowser still have those shitty fake godzilla noises when he now looks better than ever (his melee render was shit)

The real Showtime belongs to the Koopa King

I know I'm in the minority but I'm really really glad that Sakurai opted to have the animal sounds for DK, Diddy and to a lesser extent Bowser.
I've always absolutely loathed the "HOO HEE HEE" voice Nintendo has given DK in particular, it sounds so freaking dumb.

It doesn't really matter if it's dumb or not, it's DK's voice and Smash should strive for accuracy as much as possible.

I happen to like Diddy and DK's "official" voices, though.

Boss Doggie

Why do people always single out Rare when it comes "shitty outdated looking character renders"?

It was the 90s, everyone's renders looked weird as shit.

I don't know, people like to talk about how "hideous" Banjo & Kazooie and Conker look, and I think they look fine, even in their 'outdated' renders.

it's generally their design, what's up with Rare's stuff having big googly eyes? It's so creepy and distracting. Compare one character to say, Spyro.

Boss Doggie

I dunno, what's up with most inanimate Mario objects having dotted eyeballs?

mario___the_eyes____by_ojamajodoremidokkan.jpg

eyes is fine, it's them being big and googly that's weird

having tiny pupils or sclera being visible go a long way

tumblr_n4pak7BvKE1rddeo4o1_500.gif

it's why Gex is easier to the eyes too unlike say, Croc

Maybe '2 new characters' literally means '2 new characters' and there's still cut veterans being brought back separate from that number.

Honestly, two characters total does kinda make sense to me, even though I wanted a bit more.

You have to consider that Sakurai most likely really, really wants to be done with this game. He first started developing it back in 2012 so he's literally spend nearly half a decade working on it. He's probably aching to move on to something else at this point. But at the same time, he probably feels he needs to give people some sort of incentive to buy this here new Switch version, and also probably feels he owes the Ice Climbers (reoccuring veterans that would of been in, had the 3DS hardware not suck mongo dick) and their fans something.

Besides the time that will most likely go into porting stuff over the 3DS version, we also have to consider that the DLC characters themselves are still incomplete in comparison to the characters to the base roster...as in, they still lack their own custom specials and their own Palutena Guidances. Now, it's one thing for these characters to lack this stuff when they're optional DLC, but in this case they're going to be apart of the base roster, so they'll just stick out like a sore thumb completely if they still don't have custom moves or KI codecs like everyone else. I think it's safe to say the reason why the DLC characters didn't have custom moves to begin with is because, with the downsized development team, working on them probably would of been a development strain and would of resulted in less characters, so it actually does make sense why they wouldn't add too many additional peeps to the Switch version, provided they wanted to finish the DLC fighters. I also wouldn't be very surprised if they secretly recorded new Palutena Guidances behind the scenes when they brought back Brandy Kopp and Antony Del Rio to voice their characters for Bayonetta's trailer.

At the end of the day...two characters is better than nothing. Some cynical farts around here like Professor Beef and Captain Rage Quit 69 thought we'd get absolutely nothing new, so yeah. Would like a bit more to keep the hype train going, but I guess now we got Marvel vs. Capcom for that.

Honestly, two characters total does kinda make sense to me, even though I wanted a bit more.

You have to consider that Sakurai most likely really, really wants to be done with this game. He first started developing it back in 2012 so he's literally spend nearly half a decade working on it. He's probably aching to move on to something else at this point. But at the same time, he probably feels he needs to give people some sort of incentive to buy this here new Switch version, and also probably feels he owes the Ice Climbers (reoccuring veterans that would of been in, had the 3DS hardware not suck mongo dick) and their fans something.

Besides the time that will most likely go into porting stuff over the 3DS version, we also have to consider that the DLC characters themselves are still incomplete in comparison to the characters to the base roster...as in, they still lack their own custom specials and their own Palutena Guidances. Now, it's one thing for these characters to lack this stuff when they're optional DLC, but in this case they're going to be apart of the base roster, so they'll just stick out like a sore thumb completely if they still don't have custom moves or KI codecs. I think it's safe to say the reason why the DLC characters didn't have custom moves is because, with the downsized development team, working on them probably would of been a development strain and would of resulted in less characters, so it actually does make sense why they wouldn't add too many additional peeps, provided they wanted to finish the DLC fighters. I also wouldn't be very surprised if they secretly recorded new Palutena Guidances behind the scenes when they brought back Brandy Kopp and Antony Del Rio to voice their characters in Bayonetta's trailer.

At the end of the day...two characters is better than nothing. Some cynical farts around here like Professor Beef and Captain Rage Quit 69 thought we'd get absolutely nothing new, so yeah. Would liked a bit more to keep the high train going, but I guess now we got Marvel vs. Capcom for that.

Very well put. Pretty much where I'm at.

It's going to be more than two, I think. If they've been working on it since DLC wrapped up, Sakurai would not be satisfied with only two more characters (especially when there are two incredibly easy vets to bring back). This is supposed to be a headline title for Switch, and I don't see them being able to generate much buzz over two characters, especially if one of them is ICs.

I'm still banking on about six:

Ice Climbers
Wolf
Chorus Kids
Inkling
Decidueye
Third Party Character (hoping for Snake but I'll take Rayman)

Two of these are vets, one was planned for Smash 4. Inkling is a no brainer for hype and marketing purposes, as is Decidueye after the success of SM. A final third party character to round out the guest slots at 7 and also again for marketing since people love the big third party additions, and I think the bases are covered.

Basically I consider this three new characters worth of work since only Inkling, Decidueye, and the third party would have to be completely conceptualized from scratch. ICs were at least developed for Smash 4, and I have to assume Chorus Kids got at least a little bit into development.

Cautiously optimistic, but I feel pretty safe in those choices. In any case I'm pretty sure it'll be more than just two new characters. But definitely no more than five or six. I think Sakurai knows he won't be returning to this series for a while, and he always treats development of these games like they'll be his last (even though we all know it probably won't be). The man loves delivering to fans, so I think he'll keep that tradition up.

In any case, I really just want the ICs back and I want Rhythm Heaven to get the playable rep and other content it deserves because it's really one of Nintendo's most under appreciated series. Also Decidueye is hype and I don't doubt Sakurai sees its popularity. As I said, Inklings simply have to be in, and having a final third party seems like a requisite sendoff for this game's content. Plus then we can do an 8 player match with Mario + 7 Third Parties.

Also can we get Nintendo Land and SM3DW stages? Pleeeease? As for 3DS stages I'd like to see: as many of them as you can port. Unova Pokémon League would probably be too difficult since there's lots of moving parts to remake, but that's my #1 most wanted. Otherwise I'm looking forward to getting Corneria back on a console :B

Boss Doggie

I'd rather see another Bamco character and maybe an SE one just to balance the "2 3rd parties per publisher"

Like Valkyrie and Metal Slime, or Agumon and Lightning

Top Bottom