• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Wasn't the Tamaki guy banking on an old leak that was fake, like the Smash Tower?

IIRC, Tamaki was really persistent about Shovel Knight becoming a DLC fighter, even as to go far as tweeting to Yacht Club Games about it, and only ate his words once Bayonetta was confirmed to be the final character.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
IIRC, Tamaki was really persistent about Shovel Knight becoming a DLC fighter, even as to go far as tweeting to Yacht Club Games about it, and only ate his words once Bayonetta was confirmed to be the final character.

Ah that guy.

Hahahaha... HAHAHAHAHAHA!

wink.jpg

Why would Rayman be added anyway? What does he offer Smash Bros?

- He's not particularly well known
- He's not particularly popular
- His series doesn't really have any huge ties to Nintendo

Bayonetta and Cloud hit 2/3 of those. The rest hit all three. Rayman hits none of them.

He's also kind of... generic? He's from an era of dime a dozen platformers and platformer mascots, and he happens to be one of the few that managed to survive past that era, but he's still one of them. People like Croc, Gex and Glover. I generally lump Rayman in with them.

"not particularly well-known/popular" - are you kidding me? The more recent Rayman games have sold really well (at least according to Ubisoft, and we all know Ubisoft sets the bar pretty high for sales).
And both Origins and Legends were critically really acclaimed as well.

He's not on the same level as the other third parties. Nor does he have any particularly close ties to Nintendo.

His claim to Smash fame is being sort of requested occasionally and Ubisoft desperately begging Sakurai to give them free advertising. That's... not really good enough to get into Smash as a third party. Adding Rayman would feel so hollow.

Our first western third party character, and our first character from a western series in general, would be Rayman... doesn't really sit right with me. He's not really that big of a deal.

It really depends where you live, honestly. Here in the ruins of the Bytebeard Bay Rayman used to have better recognition than Ryu and Cloud combined, and only on par with Sonic since the latter got a full-fledged anime. Not that Nintendo cares about either past Wintelland or present Wintelslashmessiland at all.

I'm not sure I'd elevate Bayonetta beyond Rayman as far as third parties go.
If anything her addition makes someone like Rayman seem perfectly fitting now because I'd consider him more well known.

What about Nintendo Land Ridley?
Better than the Ridley we got, that was the best Metroid content since Prime 3.

Bayonetta won a popularity poll and had a game that was co-developed and funded by Nintendo. Sega also didn't beg Nintendo to add Bayonetta so they could sell more Bayonetta games and merchandise off the back of a better selling game in a blatant attempt to elevate their character.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Bayonetta won a popularity poll and had a game that was co-developed and funded by Nintendo. Sega also didn't beg Nintendo to add Bayonetta so they could sell more Bayonetta games and merchandise off the back of a better selling game in a blatant attempt to elevate their character.

It seems like you have a personal vendetta against Rayman. I felt there is more than you are letting us know and you are pretty much flexible when it come down with other characters. 😏

I don't really care if he get in or not. I don't have any strong attachment with his franchise but I like his recent game tho.

The only hilarious part is that BOWF takes for granted that Ubi "begged" for Rayman to be put up in Smash and takes it as a negative, while it's pretty official that Platinum "begged" Nintendo for funding Bayonetta 2. Something to think about, even if it probably doesn't affect Rayman's ultra-low chances any little bit.

It seems like you have a personal vendetta against Rayman. I felt there is more than you are letting us know and you are pretty much flexible when it come down with other characters. 😏

I don't really care if he get in or not. I don't have any strong attachment with his franchise but I like his recent game tho.

I think Rayman is an ugly character, I'm not a fan at all of Ubisoft and there are much more interesting characters they could add that aren't Rayman

I can't disagree with disdain for Ubisoft (though I don't mind Rayman as a character, I kind of liked the first game back in the day).
But the reality is that they're one of the biggest publishers in the industry, and I'd argue out of their cadre, Rayman would be the best fit for Smash.

Boss Doggie

tbqh I'm not a big fan of western-designed platformer characters outside of Crash, Gex, Ratchet and Spyro

Not Rayman's fault Origins and Legends shit on NSMB from a great height.

I think he'd be great if they focused on his detached limbs for a moveset, and his series is *filled* with fantastic music and visuals they can use.
also nymphs

TrueBlue

If there's a Rayman reveal trailer, this is the music they should use:

https://youtu.be/2KNXCYYuHmc

One of my favourite intros to a game.

I know it obviously won't happen but I want it

EDIT: Real talk, I second the notion that Rayman has a lot of great music that would fit right in.

The whole ugly character thing really holds no weight anymore, we've had three varieties of mii for years now, you should be used to it.

You know what's ugly? Jibanyan's ugly. The thing makes me literally want to puke if I look at it for too long, and it didn't stop the thing from being apparent mascot of a million-selling franchise.

Rayman's at most underdesigned. Same with Diddy. I see arguments for K. Rool being ugly - I think that was intended in fact - but Diddy? Nothing to write home about. Something's simply wrong with all of you instead.
/opinions

Javier

It would be hilarious if the only reason that keeps Rayman away from Smash is "Okay, now how the fuck do we make the amiibo"?

Zubz

Banned
Ah shit, I just realized that a Story Mode would be another resource sink that keeps us from getting more characters. At least Smash Tour felt like it ate up minimal effort; Brawl suffered from being so heavily focused on the SSE throughout development.

You know what's ugly? Jibanyan's ugly. The thing makes me literally want to puke if I look at it for too long, and it didn't stop the thing from being apparent mascot of a million-selling franchise.

Speaking of which, did we give up on the idea of that thing being in Smash? Because I'm not following its sales, but "#1 selling handheld franchise in Japan" seems like it'd be reason enough to add Jibanyan.

It would be hilarious if the only reason that keeps Rayman away from Smash is "Okay, now how the fuck do we make the amiibo"?

Just a solid chunk of plastic with Rayman inside, maybe?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
With the way amiibo's competitors are going, I'm not even sure all of the new Switch characters would necessarily even get amiibo

Amiibo are more related to the collectable figurine market than the Toys to Life market.

The former isn't dying, if anything it's getting bigger,

Boss Doggie

Not Rayman's fault Origins and Legends shit on NSMB from a great height.

I think he'd be great if they focused on his detached limbs for a moveset, and his series is *filled* with fantastic music and visuals they can use.
also nymphs

hey now

NSMB look shit but plays better than any of the rayman games 8^)

We already have Diddy Kong to rep ugly western designed platformer character though.
hahahaha true enough

Now that I think about it, Prince of Persia would be a much cooler addition for Ubisoft than Rayman, since the series has a long history, and is an integral part of video games.
That said, I still maintain that stylistically and thematically, Rayman is a better fit.

jnWake

Didn't grow up with Rayman so i'm not a fan, but...

I think he'd be a decent fit

I didn't grow up with Rayman either but Origins and Legends are such good games that I'm a fan of his now. Besides, his modern design is cool IMO.

Only "downside" to Rayman is that he'd probably a very basic character since he doesn't really have any unique abilities. Not that all characters need a unique gimmick though.

What if they go all crazy with the new Pokemon and we get Silvally with Gladion in the back giving orders, Pokemon Trainer style.

It could change type mid round and stuff.

Is Silvally being Gladion's signature Pokemon really a spoiler?

This is the art they used to reveal Silvally!
latest

Silvally doing the fighting. Gladion throwing discs at him from the background to change type. Would be pretty cool and would add the closest thing Pokemon could get to an anti-hero character.

Boss Doggie

You mean Type:Null. His FS is becoming Silvally for a while.

Or maybe he is Silvally then his FS is calling Arceus-senpai to smite his enemies.

Salazzle would be great too! Imagine using her pheromones in Smash.

Now that I think about it, Prince of Persia would be a much cooler addition for Ubisoft than Rayman, since the series has a long history, and is an integral part of video games.
That said, I still maintain that stylistically and thematically, Rayman is a better fit.

to be fair I think Brawl had shown you can pretty much mix and match themes even if it isn't a cartoonish character in smash.

Null:Type would be fine too, but you'd lose the potential type switch gimmick.

to be fair I think Brawl had shown you can pretty much mix and match themes even if it isn't a cartoonish character in smash.

Brawl was kind of ugly, though. They took cartoony characters like Mario and made them "serious" and sometimes it didn't really work (like Mario).

Just Silvally, no Gladion required. Switches types with its down special, switch between Normal, Fire, Ice, and Electric, which changes the properties of his normal attacks and whatever special attack button Multi Attack would be assigned to. Kinda like Monado Arts but it doesn't wear off over time though they aren't as potent as Monado Arts either--think like difference between Pikmin between the four types. And then its Final Smash is Breakneck Blitz.

Done.

But I love the idea of a trainer in the back of a Pokemon.

Pokemon Trainer was the only time in the series I ever felt like Pokemon had a game character and not an anime character. It was Red out there with his Pokemon. It wasn't Ash's Pikachu, anime Jigglypuff, anime Pichu, movie Mewtwo, movie Lucario, it was Red's Charizard, Red's Squirtle and Red's Ivysaur. Pokemon we know he's had in the past and Pokemon we've used while playing as him in his game.

It works for Silvally because it's a Pokemon based on friendship, and the Pokedex says Gladion was the first to evolve Null and is the person who named Silvally.

Boss Doggie

Oh right, the RKS System is only Silvally.

What about Cosmog? It should have an inherent immunity from Nabbit in World U stage.

Also you guys have seen the Lillie and Cosmog Rosalina skin yes?

Also random rant SHULK IS NOT A STANCE CHANGE CHARACTER REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Stance change characters are like Gen from Street Fighter or Donovan from Darkstalkers, entire movesets changing because of a stance change. Shulk just alters stats.

Zelda/Shiek used to fit that.

Sort of but not really, imo, since it wasn't just a change of moveset, but an entire change of character. :p Same with PT in Brawl.

Actually now that I think about it, Robin is probably closer to a stance character than Shulk is - Shulk's various modes just are passive changes to his "stats", while when Robin takes out the lightning sword, he changes various aspects of his moveset. He still uses the same animations (I think? I haven't played him in ages), but since they have different attributes, they might as well be considered different.

But yeah, we don't have any true stance character in Smash.

Top Bottom