• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjellson

If Banjo-Kazooie was still owned by Nintendo and they were a Smash veteran at this point I think both Gruntilda and Mumbo Jumbo deserved to be playable.

#rip

also dark Banjo

2012-10-26-443.jpg

Not pictured: Darnkey Kong, D.R.O.B, and Darth

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
So Sakurai and his team spent a chunk of work hours trying to implement a character and just because they couldn't get them to work on both version they flush all of that time and energy away?

Wasted resources, mang.

Boooooooooo 3DS.

J-Tier

So Sakurai and his team spent a chunk of work hours trying to implement a character and just because they couldn't get them to work on both version they flush all of that time and energy away?

Wasted resources, mang.

Boooooooooo 3DS.

The IGN interview back in June of last year makes me more sad because they weren't on the cut list yet.

On the topic of the roster, Sakurai noted that the 3DS version of the game, with its hardware’s technical limitations, would likely keep the volume of the roster in check, though no characters had been cut so far, and any determination to that effect is a ways away. Which characters ultimately are included will be the result of careful consideration, ranging from which fighters have unique characteristics, equally representing franchises and how signature traits carry over well from previous games like Brawl. Sakurai did tell me that “multiple character” combatants like the Ice Climbers were proving a technical challenge on the 3DS.

Wow, we could be bros. PSASBR, Zoo Tycoon, and AoM?

I'm also sure I made a Microsoft Smash Bros on this board somewhere hidden in the darkest corners of GAF long ago.
Never played All Stars but I probably will soon. A friend of mine got it not too long ago just so we could test it out.
Age of Mythology and Zoo Tycoon were some of the biggest games of my childhood. Man, I played the shit out of those. Add SimAnt and 2003 The Hobbit and you have my favorite pre-Nintendo games set.
Halo to get 8 reps? Gotta include the Arbiter, Chief, a Hunter, Tartarus, a Bob, Sgt Johnson, a Promethean Knight and Cortana (She can make herself big at the end of Halo 4).
I'm sort of basing it off of the Sony Smash roster, so I'm only adding Master Chief and Arbiter in. The only other series in my list to get two reps are Gears of War, Call of Duty (Riley is rep #2), and MineCraft (now that they've bought Mojang, I added Creeper in as a 'Splosion Man clone). I'm also adding in a bunch of old crap from the early Xbox days - who can forget the Toys 'R Us exclusive Sneakers? That mouse is surely joining in!

The IGN interview back in June of last year makes me more sad because they weren't on the cut list yet.
It sort of gives me hope Lucas and Wolf could be DLC if they were planned at least. Nothing hardware or licencing-wise to get in the way of their inclusion.

Kjellson

Klungo too.
You think? Been a while since I played Kazooie and Tooie, but if I remember correctly he was only a boss a couple of times. Maybe he got a larger role in Nuts & Bolts, but I never saw him as a big name.

Well, if Banjo got four reps he would be cool.

(Buy Banjo, Nintendo)

Kinsei

Banned
You think? Been a while since I played Kazooie and Tooie, but if I remember correctly he was only a boss a couple of times. Maybe he got a larger role in Nuts & Bolts, but I never saw him as a big name.

(Buy Banjo, Nintendo)

Yeah, he had a big role in Nuts & Bolts.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and

That quote calmed my 3DS anchor fears a little at that time, too. I figured if he was openly talking about it then the issue must have been resolved and he was just using it as an example.

I'm still waiting for Sakurai to show us why roster parity is even necessary...

Sponge

Banned
For fun.
I started this up after the rumors of Microsoft buying Mojang came up - I joked that Microsoft would only do it to put Steve into their "inevitable" Smash Bros. clone. I also wanted to see if I could do it, since people joke about Microsoft only having variations of Master Chief.
I'm not a Microsoft fan myself (my experience with their games is limited to Age of Mythology and Zoo Tycoon) but I just thought it would be something fun to pass the time waiting for the actually interesting icon-based fighting game to be released...
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 2!

I tried, and I still couldn't make it interesting.

I'M FINISHED!

Just give the Wii U Ice Climbers and the 3DS Pichu. PROBLEM SOLVED!

My roster so far. Other than a few multiplayer rounds of Halo here and there and MineCraft, I have played none of these IPs, so forgive me if I got some things wrong here and there.

First column is just Microsoft owned realistic (or semi-realistic) characters, but I can't think of a sixth.
Second is other Microsoft created characters that are more cartoonish. I tried to stick to more obscure/dumb characters like Apollo, the mouse from Sneakers.
Third column is IPs Microsoft now own even though they didn't originate on Xbox (Rare and Mojang).
Fourth column is third party characters (Activision and EA).

Since Activision owns Call of Duty along with the rights to Spyro and Crash, I figured I could make this game painful for Sony fans along with Nintendo fans. I'm going by the idea that with these character fighters, once one of the big three calls dibs on a third party character, the other two can no longer use them. That's why Snake wasn't in Sony Smash, and why Microsoft would be claiming Spyro and Crash for the sole purpose of screwing Sony over.

This is mostly a temporary replacement for my Smash Bros. 4 character idea list, which I started right after Toon Link was announced. That became less fun to keep updated when we stopped getting veterans every two weeks and Assist trophy confirmations. I needed to feed the roster-making urges, so this hypothetical Microsoft roster will do.

You're not digging deep enough.

batfax

If Microsoft really wanted to put the money into it to guarantee popularity I could see them really making proper use of third parties to get legendary PC icons into a "Microsoft Smash" type game too. Opens the field much wider than just X-Box series. It'd be like if Playstation All-Stars actually got proper Sony-Synonymous third parties instead of Big Daddy and Donte.

Sponge

Banned
If Microsoft really wanted to put the money into it to guarantee popularity I could see them really making proper use of third parties to get legendary PC icons into a "Microsoft Smash" type game too. Opens the field much wider than just X-Box series. It'd be like if Playstation All-Stars actually got proper Sony-Synonymous third parties instead of Big Daddy and Donte.

If I had to seriously come up with a way for a Microsoft crossover game to work, it would have to be absolutely nothing like Smash Brothers. I think going the route of making it a third person brawler like Anarchy Reigns would be interesting. Most of Microsoft's characters would work well in that sort of game.

Pikma

Banned
What the fuck guys? I leave for a day and when I come back I find you talking about Super Smash Dudebros for XB1

I love you, please don't leave me

(Buy Banjo, Nintendo)

Klungo ssSSssavessSss the freaking world in N&B =p

it's an 8-bit minigame, not a story spoiler

K-A-Deman

I think part of the issue is one of the things that went wrong with PSASBR; a lack of consistent art direction.

Look at the characters in Smash; you can tell that they all come from different games, but they seem to fit together at least as far as aesthetics goes. Even when you've got something crazy like G&W or R.O.B., they still have just the right level of balance in their details to make them seem compatible.

Now if Microsoft decided to do XBox Battle Time (or whatever name they come up with), I'd hope they'd put more effort into making things seem consistent and give it to a proper established studios. These mascot fighters are essentially the bragging rights of the hardware providers, and should be given the same level of care and attention as any of their individual projects

Unbounded

Eh, on Ice Climbers,

Make both Nana and Popo, and make the other ice climber basically an extension of the first character where if they're close they just mimic all of the characters attacks

The AI can be pikmin levels of simplicity where, when separated, the other climber simply runs back to the player.

Also lower the FPS too I guess.

Or they could make the IC's just each individual character. I mean, I don't remember any sort of teamwork in the original ice climber game. It was always a solo deal.

-Horizon-

Plus Pikachu and DK! It's absolutely crazy when you think about it. I still remember the DKC ad that boasted about it's graphics while mocking Sega.
You got a point there Sponge, those two's series also had a huge impact on gaming.

Seeing the Big Four with no Konami gives me bad feels.
EDIT: It's a celebration of all the big and historical Japanese companies but them.
Where's that comic with Sakurai saying to Kojima that he's already had his chance or whatever...
shhhh, no snake, only frogger now

Seeing the Big Four with no Konami gives me bad feels.
EDIT: It's a celebration of all the big and historical Japanese companies but them.

Smash Bros is a big celebration of Nintendo's history not Japanese game companies. Megaman, Sonic and Pacman are a big part of Nintendo's history. Snake isn't. Also you'd be missing other videogame titans like Square Enix and Hudson( in addition to other big brands like Resident Evil) if this was a big and historical celebration of Japanese videogame companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom