• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok after 15 mins of figuring out whats wrong with my router I finally was able to fix it so its NAT type-2.. (stupid speedstream). Sorry I couldnt come..

Trickster

I've noticed that some characters have moves that require you to do 2 full rotations with your analog stick to work. But I can't for the life of me figure out how on earth I'm supposed to do that without the character jumping?

Also,some moves have a very weird symbol for how to do them. Balrog's Crazy Buffalo for example. The 2 first symbols make perfect sense, hold back, then forward. But then the third symbol wants you to both go forwards and backwards at the same time? Check link to see what I mean -
http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Crazy_Buffalo
Can someone explain that symbol for me, I'm guessing there's some kind of logic at play here, but I'm not seeing it.

JDdelphin

I've noticed that some characters have moves that require you to do 2 full rotations with your analog stick to work. But I can't for the life of me figure out how on earth I'm supposed to do that without the character jumping?

Also,some moves have a very weird symbol for how to do them. Balrog's Crazy Buffalo for example. The 2 first symbols make perfect sense, hold back, then forward. But then the third symbol wants you to both go forwards and backwards at the same time? Check link to see what I mean -
http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Crazy_Buffalo
Can someone explain that symbol for me, I'm guessing there's some kind of logic at play here, but I'm not seeing it.

Supers and Ultras are done by performing two of the motions done for one special move- then the button.
Like Ryu's 'big hadoken' moves need a double fireball motion- charge guys need a double charge back and forth motion.

So Balrog's Super is Charge back then forward, back, forward again very quickly-then a punch button.
His Ultra is the same only with all three punch buttons pressed.

Trickster

Just means back then forward

Ah okay, figured as much. Just doesn't really make sense to me that they do it that way. Would be much less confusing if they just had 2 symbols, one for back and one for forward.

Supers and Ultras are done by performing two of the motions done for one special move- then the button.
Like Ryu's 'big hadoken' moves need a double fireball motion- charge guys need a double charge back and forth motion.

So Balrog's Super is Charge back then forward, back, forward again very quickly-then a punch button.
His Ultra is the same only with all three punch buttons pressed.

Yeah I know how you do the ultra and supers. I was just specifically confused about the ones from characters like Zangief and Balrog, where you have to do 2 full, 360 degree rotations with your stick. Which isn't possible to do without making them jump, and thus making it impossible to get off the ultra.

However I figured out that if I just to the 2 rotations while they are doing another attack, jump or taunt. You can do those 2 rotations without making them jump, and am thus able to pull off the ultra :D

In other news. I took the plunge and ordered one of these puppies

PS3_SFxTLineFightStick_backofbox.jpg

...now to wait 4-10 days D:

JDdelphin

Yeah I know how you do the ultra and supers. I was just specifically confused about the ones from characters like Zangief and Balrog, where you have to do 2 full, 360 degree rotations with your stick. Which isn't possible to do without making them jump, and thus making it impossible to get off the ultra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISKfZgwRT4U
There's lots of tricks around using input leniency and various forms of dash and move buffering- apart from the classic 'do it on wakeup' or 'do it jumping in' so that you really don't need to get crazy with the moves you buffer with practice

Not that anyone should ever really use Balrog's U2 or even Gief's U1 very often unless you are godlike anyway, imo...

Sorry if you already knew all that. Don't want to waste your time or anything.

Venfayth

ggs man. I had no idea what to do against Juri. : [

Haha, she's my main. Juri can be a bitch for Gouken in the fireball game, and she's a bitch for anyone if she gets them in the corner. Rule of thumb: never push a button after you block a fireball and she's in your face, she's +4.

OceanBlue

Inconsistencies between PS3 and PC version of AE2012

Has anyone here tried doing their own tests? I was just planning on picking up the PC version too.

I have some of the issues (punishing EX Psycho is weird) but not others (Gen's TC xx HK upkicks doesn't whiff on Cody). :(

It seems that, for a lot of the people in the comments, it either works or it doesn't. If they were to play online and test these things out, I wonder what would happen...

Edit:
Ryu_Apprentice said 7 hours, 39 minutes ago

The setup on cody is for that particular costume, it connects on his normal and prison costume.
Oh. Okay, so I guess I have all of the issues. :V

El Sloth

Banned
I have some of the issues (punishing EX Psycho is weird) but not others (Gen's TC xx HK upkicks doesn't whiff on Cody). :(

It seems that, for a lot of the people in the comments, it either works or it doesn't. If they were to play online and test these things out, I wonder what would happen...

Edit:

Oh. Okay, so I guess I have all of the issues. :V
Costume specific combos? Lol

This is some silly shit.

hypernima
GGs! I take it Cody is your main? You were going for a lot of frame traps and kept applying pressure which was good. Luckily, I was familiar with some of the setups but you stayed aggressive.

Ok after 15 mins of figuring out whats wrong with my router I finally was able to fix it so its NAT type-2.. (stupid speedstream). Sorry I couldnt come..
no worries man. i think we only got like 8 or so games in. feel free to send me invites whenever you see me online.

hypernima

Banned
As I try to get back into Juri I realized why I quit her, Her health is so bad and she loses so some of the lamest shit in my hands, DPs etc you name it.

Now to think about it every character I play can't do shit about DPs.

GGs! I take it Cody is your main? You were going for a lot of frame traps and kept applying pressure which was good. Luckily, I was familiar with some of the setups but you stayed aggressive.

Yes, I don't know the Honda matchup though.

no worries man. i think we only got like 8 or so games in. feel free to send me invites whenever you see me online.

Anybody want to play?

I'm up for some.

As I try to get back into Juri I realized why I quit her, Her health is so bad and she loses so some of the lamest shit in my hands, DPs etc you name it.

Now to think about it every character I play can't do shit about DPs.

I'm up for some.

for the honda matchup, you can sit back and zone with rocks, and your usual anti airs (back mp, rh ruffian kick, etc). i play against one of the better codys in socal and he likes to approach with towards rh, which takes away a lot of my best footsie options (cr. jab xx hands option select, standing rh, cr. fierce) because he floats over them. if the honda is familiar with the matchup, dont go for frame traps if he has EX because you'll eat headbutts all day. if you can bait out/make honda waste meter and score a knockdown, initiate pressure as usual. he's pretty SOL without meter on wakeup to cody. if you can, pickup the knife and chip him out that way. also, ultra 2 is great at the end of rounds if you bait a jump-in with rocks. just be sure to mixup fake rocks, because i'm pretty adept at sniffing out rocks with ultra.

edit:
cody can punish med/fierce headbutts on block with ultra 2 and ex ruffian

xCobalt

Haha, she's my main. Juri can be a bitch for Gouken in the fireball game, and she's a bitch for anyone if she gets them in the corner. Rule of thumb: never push a button after you block a fireball and she's in your face, she's +4.

Yeah, it slipped my mind she that was positive after the fireball. Hardly anyone plays her. I have a few things I wanna try the next time we play though

LakeEarth

Ah okay, figured as much. Just doesn't really make sense to me that they do it that way. Would be much less confusing if they just had 2 symbols, one for back and one for forward.

However I figured out that if I just to the 2 rotations while they are doing another attack, jump or taunt. You can do those 2 rotations without making them jump, and am thus able to pull off the ultra :D

It is humanly possible to rotate fast enough to do 2x360 without jumping. Something like 1/10th of a second from the first up to the second, you have to press punch before the pre-jump frames end. I don't think anyone would ever rely on it though.

The 360s don't have to be in the same direction, and this allows for walk up 720s. You can start from up (tick here, or some sort of buffer), rotate to forward, you walk forward a tiny bit to get into range (you got like 1/4 of a second), then swing back from forward back to up + button.

ScOULaris

So I picked up the PC/Steam version of AE a few weeks ago to have a backup for when my wife is using our main TV with my PS3, and the game runs at a smooth 60fps in single player modes even on my old XPS m1530.

That being said, no matter how low I set everything, it runs like CRAP when I play online. Input lag, framerate drops... the works. Could this have something to do with the fact that I'm playing on a wireless connection?

Everything is silky smooth on my PS3 since it's hardwired to my router.

Trickster

So I picked up the PC/Steam version of AE a few weeks ago to have a backup for when my wife is using our main TV with my PS3, and the game runs at a smooth 60fps in single player modes even on my old XPS m1530.

That being said, no matter how low I set everything, it runs like CRAP when I play online. Input lag, framerate drops... the works. Could this have something to do with the fact that I'm playing on a wireless connection?

Everything is silky smooth on my PS3 since it's hardwired to my router.

I also had frame rate drops when i tried to go online on my pc version. I managed to make it stop somehow by turning of V-sync and changing my region to the correct one. Dunno which one of the changes was the reason, but after I did those 2 things I stopped getting frame rate drops.

ScOULaris

I also had frame rate drops when i tried to go online on my pc version. I managed to make it stop somehow by turning of V-sync and changing my region to the correct one. Dunno which one of the changes was the reason, but after I did those 2 things I stopped getting frame rate drops.

The PC version has weird issues using Vsync online, so it's best to leave it off.

Hm. I never thought to try that. I had just been lowering the resolution to see if it would help online performance. Thanks for the tip!

You get what you pay for and $50 is going to get you a cheap plastic stick.
Thanks, the Qanba one looks pretty good.

Soul Calibur V stick is available for 99 bucks on Amazon. I know there was a sale going on for this stick on another site, but I don't know if it's still active.

If you're looking for anything around 50...Best you could get is probably the V3 arcade stick from Hori.

Not sure about this one, but it's a quanba stick for 60 bucks.
I am not very hardcore for fighting games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom