• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 GAF Ranking Battle - Platform Independent

Gyrian

2vwd0za.png

dowj9v.png

Ranbat Season One has finished.

14blu6w.png

xEs8e.png

PSG1N.png

2mnocoi.png

Massive props to AkumaHokoru, who spontaneously organized all of XBL and laid out the format we are now using for the entire Ranbat.
A huge thank you to the_log_ride and Relix, who got this effort on track for their respective networks, and continue providing support.

Gyrian

1607n8i.png

The Ranbat is Character Locked. You get one main, one alt.

SEEDING WEEK

Seeding Week plays out only once.
It determines your standing within the pools before the Ranbat begins.

You must play everyone in your starting pool ONCE in a single set @ 3 rounds.
Every round you win is worth 0.5 points, for a maximum of 1.

RANKING WEEK

Flow

For the first Ranking week, the pools are arranged based on seeding score.
The match-ups order will rotate each week between:

• Type A Players 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, 3 vs. 6, 4 vs. 5.
  • Type B Players 1 vs. 3, 2 vs. 4, 5 vs. 7, 6 vs. 8.

An example in determining who your opponent will be:

matchups.png

In effect, you are only playing one ranked match every Ranbat week.
You must play your opponent at best 2 out of 3 sets @ 3 rounds each.

Players will rise / fall in the pools based on their scores every week. The OP will keep this updated.
If there is a tie in determining pool movement, the players involved will play ONE match @ 3 rounds to break the tie.

Scoring

A round won is still worth 0.5 points, for a maximum of 1 point per set.
This means you can get some points per round even if you don't win the set; i.e. winning 1 round in each set but losing 2-0 = 1 point.

There is a bonus for winning 2 straight sets: 3 points instead of 2.
If you win these 2 straight sets without losing any rounds (a perfect score), the bonus is then 4 points.

A no-show will be given a 0-2 set record.
This player doesn't lose points, but his opponent gets rewarded as if he had won every round, for a clean 2 points.

Players who make no attempt to arrange for a match may receive -1 points for the week.

In the event of a disconnect, the match must continue at the exact point where it was dropped off; i.e. if it was 1 round to 0 rounds you will give back that round then resume the match. Every effort must be made to replicate the amount of meter stocks each player had coming into the new round.
The match must be resumed before the Ranbat week closes, or it will be treated as a no-show towards the party who severed the connection.

2q9etz8.png

Arranging matches are the individual players' responsibilities.
You have an entire week in which to get your single match done. Get together, make it happen.

Means to facilitate this:
- GAF PM
- The excellent GAF Ranbat IRC Chat.
- XBL message, or PSN chat room; contact me for the latter if you do not already have access.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
eh...why not...

on both platforms:
jobber4wcw
but if I had to pick one, PSN

Edit: on second thought, I may not be able to do the time commitment, I'd rather not mess anything up for people than participate half-assedly.

Good stuff though Gyrian, I'll definitely be watching the results of this and want to see how it goes. Perhaps in the next season I'll be there but I just would rather this one run as smoothly as possible.

Double Edit: If it's weekly that's definitely more workable.

XBL : KillaBMike

Gyrian

stabicron7 said:
Platform: XBL
GT: Stabicron

Also when is this gonna take place as that will be main factor on my attendance.

It takes place whenever you can gather 5 players, which we already do on Live and PSN every night regardless.

Just designate someone to track the stats for each player (Matches Played, Matches Won, Points) and post them here for me to keep the overall ranking updated.

To everyone who isn't a Live or PSN regular already, start adding each other in your respective networks, and start those Endless lobbies. :]

Gyrian

Rentahamster said:
So is everyone the same tier from the start? When does that change?

Yes, everyone starts in the bottom tier, the Pool.
That means that tonight, every win is worth 2 points, every loss 1 regardless of who you play.

As you start posting results, the first post will reflect the rankings and tiers.
If we begin tonight, I'll have something up tomorrow.

Ploid 3.0

Oh wow, this looks like something that will make me actually want to play better. Dropping Dragon Age for this rpg haha.

Ploid = PSN

Let's doo thisss!

AZ Greg

I'm definitely interested, but I have a couple of concerns.

- Daily seems like it might be a bit much, in terms of stat tracking at least. Gathering the players up might be touch enough, especially when you're probably going to have to continuously gather different people as nobody is going to want to play that same person who always beats them or that player who isn't worth the point risk/reward assuming your high up, then there's the worrying about what rank each player is on a day to day basis. And then with it also been daily, I'm afraid it might mess up casual games as everyone will be wanting to get in their daily ranbats matches.

- Again, I know the point system is to encourage/reward certain match-ups, but what if someone feels they have no chance against someone, and despite the potential point game, don't deem it is worth it to waste one of their 10 fights per day on that person? How do you make it fair for that person when they can't get 10 fights if they wanted? Or you can have something as simple as people ducking players who play your bad match-ups.

I don't really see any way to avoid the second issue other than setting the ranbats to a more specific time frame and then randomly organizing the people who show up. And of course if you did that and kept the daily format than it would require a good bit of manpower. As it is now I think there will be too much opponent cherry picking. Oh, and one last point regarding the frequency, I think you run the risk of burning some people out. I already see names I don't see much in the SSF4 thread. I doubt those people will play as much as the regulars and even less once they realize they can't make much of an impact since they don't play enough or can't get enough matches with the top levels to get themselves back in it due to the way matches are formed and the higher level players not wanting to risk so much.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I do agree it should be a weekly event. That was what I wanted to do originally. On weekends reunite, make an IRC channel, and go from there.

Relix said:
I do agree it should be a weekly event. That was what I wanted to do originally. On weekends reunite, make an IRC channel, and go from there.

Sounds like a more workable/organized idea to me.

Greg, not likely to cherry pick in my case, you know very well who I use :p. I only drag out Cammy for fun most of the time because my execution is so off with her.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Relix said:
Yeah, I was under the impression it would be a weekly thing, too.

Gyrian

AZ Greg said:
I'm definitely interested, but I have a couple of concerns.

- Daily seems like it might be a bit much, in terms of stat tracking at least. Gathering the players up might be touch enough, especially when you're probably going to have to continuously gather different people as nobody is going to want to play that same person who always beats them or that player who isn't worth the point risk/reward assuming your high up, then there's the worrying about what rank each player is on a day to day basis. And then with it also been daily, I'm afraid it might mess up casual games as everyone will be wanting to get in their daily ranbats matches.

- Again, I know the point system is to encourage/reward certain match-ups, but what if someone feels they have no chance against someone, and despite the potential point game, don't deem it is worth it to waste one of their 10 fights per day on that person? How do you make it fair for that person when they can't get 10 fights if they wanted? Or you can have something as simple as people ducking players who play your bad match-ups.

I don't really see any way to avoid the second issue other than setting the ranbats to a more specific time frame and then randomly organizing the people who show up. And of course if you did that and kept the daily format than it would require a good bit of manpower. As it is now I think there will be too much opponent cherry picking. Oh, and one last point regarding the frequency, I think you run the risk of burning some people out. I already see names I don't see much in the SSF4 thread. I doubt those people will play as much as the regulars and even less once they realize they can't make much of an impact since they don't play enough or can't get enough matches with the top levels to get themselves back in it due to the way matches are formed and the higher level players not wanting to risk so much.

All very valid points. You're not the only person to suggest weekends, either.

Rather than having this daily, strict, what I wanted to convey is that the timing be open and people may gather at their own pace. I don't expect anyone to do their maximum 10 matches daily, the hard limit is just there to stop a potential abuse hole.

You're right in that designating a given time will encourage players who are not as regular to show up. So let's do that, weekends after a certain hour will be open game for sessions.

What works for most? For reference, I've ran my past Tourneys at 7pm CST (8 Eastern, 5 Western), and it's done fairly well.

I still like the idea of being able to match up people at other times, too, if they've gathered up one random evening. Maybe it's a 10 match limit per week outside of weekends?

Gyrian said:
All very valid points. You're not the only person to suggest weekends, either.

Rather than having this daily, strict, what I wanted to convey is that the timing be open and people may gather at their own pace. I don't expect anyone to do their maximum 10 matches daily, the hard limit is just there to stop a potential abuse hole.

You're right in that designating a given time will encourage players who are not as regular to show up. So let's do that, weekends after a certain hour will be open game for sessions.

What works for most? For reference, I've ran my past Tourneys at 7pm CST (8 Eastern, 5 Western), and it's done fairly well.

I still like the idea of being able to match up people at other times, too, if they've gathered up one random evening. Maybe it's a 10 match limit per week outside of weekends?

Sundays usually works for me since most Saturdays I am doing a local ranbat.

Gyrian

Having read the posts here, spoken with Relix and a decent chunk of PSN GAF, it's basically unanimous.

Ranbats will ONLY run during weekends (meaning SAT & SUN).
Every rule already laid out continues to apply, such as the 10 match per day maximum.

PSN players will gather up via the usual chatrooms.
Message me or any of the usual PSN suspects if you do not have access to the GAF chat yet.

Relix and the XBL regulars can lay out their way of meeting up here for anyone who's not already in the loop.

AZ Greg

Nice. I definitely think weekends are the best idea.

Couple of other things I'm wondering about:

- 10 matches does seem like it should work, but with this kinda stuff you just never know. And rather than risk starting the season and having to make changes which could throw off consistency, I think we should do a 1 day test run either tomorrow or Friday and just pretend it were a normal weekend ranbat day and see how it works. That way you can make any adjustments before this weekend when it starts counting.

- I know you said we'll create endless lobbies with 5 people, but how are you going to fight the person in that room you actually want to fight? What if someone is wrecking the room, are you then forced to fight that person? Or through our chats are we supposed to let the person know and then just have people in the lobby not ready up until it gets to the desired match-up? And I still think the way we pick our matches is going to seem awkward. What if you're in a room with someone who nobody wants to play? Or maybe there is someone in your room who is ranked high but is an easy match-up for you so you seek him/her out. Maybe make it so each day has to be 10 unique users and each weekend 20 unique users unless there isn't anyone available? Just throwing stuff out there.

AZ Greg said:
Nice. I definitely think weekends are the best idea.

Couple of other things I'm wondering about:

- 10 matches does seem like it should work, but with this kinda stuff you just never know. And rather than risk starting the season and having to make changes which could throw off consistency, I think we should do a 1 day test run either tomorrow or Friday and just pretend it were a normal weekend ranbat day and see how it works. That way you can make any adjustments before this weekend when it starts counting.

- I know you said we'll create endless lobbies with 5 people, but how are you going to fight the person in that room you actually want to fight? What if someone is wrecking the room, are you then forced to fight that person? Or through our chats are we supposed to let the person know and then just have people in the lobby not ready up until it gets to the desired match-up? And I still think the way we pick our matches is going to seem awkward. What if you're in a room with someone who nobody wants to play? Or maybe there is someone in your room who is ranked high but is an easy match-up for you so you seek him/her out. Maybe make it so each day has to be 10 unique users and each weekend 20 unique users unless there isn't anyone available? Just throwing stuff out there.

Hate to say this but maybe this is a good use for Tournament mode? Yes I went there :p

Will there be dan rankings for our individual characters? How will we narrow down GAF's army of Vegas and find out whose is the best?

XBL: Gods Beard

Dudley 1st Dan

Gyrian

God's Beard said:
Will there be dan rankings for our individual characters? How will we narrow down GAF's army of Vegas and find out whose is the best?

XBL: Gods Beard

Dudley 1st Dan

Off the top of my head, I can't think up a practical way to track that.
On the other hand, if we make a commitment to not switch characters for the Ranbat, then we can easily compare same chara players as an additional stat.

That would even enable some matchup data, come to think of it. :eek:

stabicron7 said:
Hate to say this but maybe this is a good use for Tournament mode? Yes I went there :p

Tournament does have a sweet randomizer in place.
It's a bit of a pain in how it handles disconnects, though. In that it doesn't, at all.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hm, I agree that just an endless lobby could cause a bunch of random problems, especially if the skill level among participants is uneven.

What if you run the ranbat through tournament mode? Have 8 (or 4) people show up in a room, have the CPU randomly matchmake, and then award points to the first, second, and third place finishers?

Top Bottom