• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 GAF Ranking Battle - Platform Independent

Satyamdas said:
My only suggestion for Round 2 would be to have more matches per week, maybe 3 instead of 1. On one hand, I think this would be good for the integrity of the final rankings (because if I am finishing anywhere near the top something is obviously broken), but on the other hand after seeing how many people had trouble with getting 1 (ONE!) freaking match done per week, I'm kind of doubtful this would even be possible.
Due to time differences as well as schedule differences this would be almost impossible...

User 406

Banned
hikarutilmitt said:
The whole point that we're locking to 2 characters is to prevent counterpicking as much as possible. If your main and sub are well enough apart, there should be no worries.

But that's just it, if a player is using random select, you can't counterpick. Neither the person using random select nor his opponent gets to see the character randomly assigned until the vs loading screen right before the match begins.

What I'm proposing here is choosing random select as a "main", where you have to use random select, not the option to pick any character from the roster at will.

Satyamdas

Banned
EraldoCoil said:
Due to time differences as well as schedule differences this would be almost impossible...
I don't think time or schedule differences are a big deal ultimately, I think it comes down more to procrastination and lack of motivation to get matches done.

Axis

i'm cool with more matches per week...maybe 2? 3 is fine but a lot of people on here have trouble getting one in, much less 3...so maybe 2 would work. and good shit on winning you scrub ass dhalsim :p

Sea Manky said:
But that's just it, if a player is using random select, you can't counterpick. Neither the person using random select nor his opponent gets to see the character randomly assigned until the vs loading screen right before the match begins.

What I'm proposing here is choosing random select as a "main", where you have to use random select, not the option to pick any character from the roster at will.

Again, that's why it's locked to 2 characters and that's it. You could end up having an opponent whose characters are both a counterpick to your main, but chances are they wouldn't be for your second. And the exact same chances are there for you, as well.

It really is a non-issue, IMO.

Satyamdas said:
My only suggestion for Round 2 would be to have more matches per week, maybe 3 instead of 1. On one hand, I think this would be good for the integrity of the final rankings (because if I am finishing anywhere near the top something is obviously broken), but on the other hand after seeing how many people had trouble with getting 1 (ONE!) freaking match done per week, I'm kind of doubtful this would even be possible.
with as many people who no-showed/flaked on one? no way in hell im upping it to 3.

THIS IS WHAT IS SET IN STONE

1 MATCH A WEEK ya'll some procrastinatin mofos I<3u but yeah. you guys dont exactly have my faith.

Scoring Rules
The way they work right now is fucking beautiful better than some ranbats i know of.

What Will Change
Matchup shuffles. there are going to be atleast 2 new shuffles.

Duration of the ranbat
this I am open to debate on no shorter but possibly longer.

2 Chars. 1 Main 1 Alt. If you dont declare a alt YOU DONT GET ONE AT ALL. (you dont have to worry about me with this but someone else had declared no alt but changed their char a few times (albeit to the same char each time...but still)

jobber said:
stay free!

in your dreams.....i'll body you any day of the week homie, you, me and everyone here knows it.......you're lucky you even made it into pool Abel, had Gib not missed his match with you, you'd still be sitting in the second pool.

consider me signed up for ranbat season 2.....see you there....

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
EraldoCoil said:
in your dreams.....i'll body you any day of the week homie, you, me and everyone here knows it.......you're lucky you even made it into pool Abel, had Gib not missed his match with you, you'd still be sitting in the second pool.

another place

another time

;D

Satyamdas

Banned
AkumaHokoru said:
with as many people who no-showed/flaked on one? no way in hell im upping it to 3.
I know, I agree that the no-shows and flakes were abundant. But at the same time I think the first run probably weeded out all the stragglers and half-assed non-committed players. We could maybe try 2 matches per week since those who DID get their matches done and who are willing to go through another season are very likely to not have any issues as far as flaking or no-showing. Then again it's possible no one else wants to do more matches per week so this is just speculation on my part.

I just feel like 1 match per week is so anemic as far as rankings go. I mean I'll be crackin out for the whole rest of the week in ranked and endless so it doesn't make any difference to me, I just think it would be better for the rankings and also on a selfish level I'd like to play against more of the guys in the ranbat.

gutabo

Congrats to Saty! Looking forward to play you soon man! Congrats to Seph too!

Yes to Cobra Kai!!! :D Eissan, Axis, let's do this!

I'm SO SALTY!!! I could only play 3 times... maybe if there's a penalty for not giving the best effort for a good connection(I gave my best in all weeks but two, when my job overwhelmed me)

Biggest thanks ever to you guys(Gyrian, AkumaHokoru) for making it happen!

Joekage

Congrats to Sephiroth and Saty, good stuff to you both.

Kinda pissed that I could have been first but oh well, shit happens. I'll just leave my salt in my veins and come back even stronger and with a working ps3/360 for the next season.

Floyd and Seph, just know that I'm gunning for you first. You know you're scared of DAT SALTY CODY. <3 Much love!

And much thanks to everyone who put this together (Gyrian, Akuma and etc) Besides all the crazy shenanigans that happens, you guys really pulled it together and made it fun. Good stuff.

gutabo said:
I'm SO SALTY!!! I could only play 3 times... maybe if there's a penalty for not giving the best effort for a good connection(I gave my best in all weeks but two, when my job overwhelmed me)

yeah, out of the 9 weeks....I only had 3 real matches that I got to play :-/

User 406

Banned
hikarutilmitt said:
Again, that's why it's locked to 2 characters and that's it. You could end up having an opponent whose characters are both a counterpick to your main, but chances are they wouldn't be for your second. And the exact same chances are there for you, as well.

It really is a non-issue, IMO.

I don't think you're quite getting what I'm saying. I'm not suggesting that everyone use random select, just that random select be allowed to be used as a main. This wouldn't affect the counterpicking odds you mention above, and would allow those of us
me :p
who like using every character to have some more variety.

At any rate, it looks like it's not going to happen, I just want to be clear about it.

AkumaHokoru said:

THIS IS WHAT IS SET IN STONE

2 Chars.
1 Main 1 Alt. If you dont declare a alt YOU DONT GET ONE AT ALL. (you dont have to worry about me with this but someone else had declared no alt but changed their char a few times (albeit to the same char each time...but still)

1 MATCH A WEEK ya'll some procrastinatin mofos I<3u but yeah. you guys dont exactly have my faith.

Scoring Rules
The way they work right now is fucking beautiful better than some ranbats i know of.

What Will Change
Matchup shuffles. there are going to be atleast 2 new shuffles.

Duration of the ranbat
this I am open to debate on no shorter but possibly longer.

I vote to make the next one longer. That can circumvent the want or need to run multiple matches in one week (which ain't gonna work). I'm wanting to say double the length, but want to hear what others have to say.

GGs to all. I'll be trying my best to lvl up my game for next season. Now to go alt shopping...

Axis

ok, a longer season would be nice...take it from 9 weeks to 13-14 or so...i think that'd work out perfectly. i say FUCK alts and just roll with a single character locked ranbat...no excuses cuz we all have one char that we perceive as our best right? so lets put it to the test...if saty can beat the cammy's in this ranbat in a supposed 7-3 matchup then everyone else should be able to use their mains and mains only...maybe i'm alone here but i wanna see what everyone has with their best char...and not their backup char that covers the bad matchups their main has. my .02

Yeah, lock sounds good. There aren't too many truly awful matchups in this (compared to vanilla) so single character sounds good, to me.

Also gives us a better chance to prepare for whoever we're facing that week. ;)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sea Manky is lobbying for Random to be allowed as a choice for main. Actual random select, not just a character picked on a whim.

vissione said:
But then his ranking doesn't mean squat because the whole point of a character locked ranbat is ranking your skills with the character used not your overall skill with the whole cast.

What if it this were a danisen league instead and you level up each character individually? It's a pain in the ass to keep track of not to mention you'll never get consistent results if you have someone going random all the time.

He's just lobbying for not participating and being part of the ladder in a proper fashion. Especially if he's godlike with every character, he ups his chances of winning by having available a character that could lead to a counter pick. There is a lack of real preparation available from his opponents prior to the match because they have no idea who they'll fight next (in a character locked event that makes no sense). Plus, even if the character he gets isn't particularly a counter pick there are several players who may still struggle at a particular matchup with limited experience in it and they are still at a disadvantage.

If he's good enough to go random, he's good enough to recognize his strengths and weaknesses and pick someone for a serious effort at climbing the ladder. If he just doesn't give a shit to put some effort into getting points and improve his game why should he be given a chance to fuck around? Just because there are no entry fees, site/venue fees, or prizes (yet) doesn't mean this is a joke. A lot of players are getting better at the game (at least I am and others I know of on PSN) thanks to this. Random isn't making a choice there are not 36 characters in the game.

Preach it brother!!!

EraldoCoil said:
Preach it brother!!!

COIL! So Ranbats are over. Are you retiring? We still have our inevitable rubber match!

edit: nm

EraldoCoil said:

Splendid.

vissione said:
But then his ranking doesn't mean squat because the whole point of a character locked ranbat is ranking your skills with the character used not your overall skill with the whole cast.

What if it this were a danisen league instead and you level up each character individually? It's a pain in the ass to keep track of not to mention you'll never get consistent results if you have someone going random all the time.

He's just lobbying for not participating and being part of the ladder in a proper fashion. Especially if he's godlike with every character, he ups his chances of winning by having available a character that could lead to a counter pick. There is a lack of real preparation available from his opponents prior to the match because they have no idea who they'll fight next (in a character locked event that makes no sense). Plus, even if the character he gets isn't particularly a counter pick there are several players who may still struggle at a particular matchup with limited experience in it and they are still at a disadvantage.

If he's good enough to go random, he's good enough to recognize his strengths and weaknesses and pick someone for a serious effort at climbing the ladder. If he just doesn't give a shit to put some effort into getting points and improve his game why should he be given a chance to fuck around? Just because there are no entry fees, site/venue fees, or prizes (yet) doesn't mean this is a joke. A lot of players are getting better at the game (at least I am and others I know of on PSN) thanks to this. Random isn't making a choice there are not 36 characters in the game.

Pretty much nailed my stance on it.
Random select is not being permitted as a option for the ranbat.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
*shrug*

His refusal to pick a character he likes most is at the heart of it anyway. I told him before he's going to have to narrow it down, but he's still asking about it.

User 406

Banned
Don't worry, I had already given the idea up after Akuma's list of set in stone rules post. I'm not going to press the issue. I made my request and gave my reasoning, and that's that.

But I need to set one thing straight, I didn't ask looking for some kind of advantage. My intention is indeed to improve my game, but I simply don't approach that in Street Fighter from a single character perspective. I've always played the entire roster from the beginning.

So I'll just roll dice for the next season or something. :p

Sea Manky said:
Don't worry, I had already given the idea up after Akuma's list of set in stone rules post. I'm not going to press the issue. I made my request and gave my reasoning, and that's that.

But I need to set one thing straight, I didn't ask looking for some kind of advantage. My intention is indeed to improve my game, but I simply don't approach that in Street Fighter from a single character perspective. I've always played the entire roster from the beginning.

So I'll just roll dice for the next season or something. :p
put 36 numbers in a hat :) assign a number to each char pick a number. your char for season 2 :)

I hope not anytime soon :lol

I been on hiatus from the game, i tried playing a few days ago after like 3 months of not playing and got bodied hard. I had forgotten everything :lol once january starts i'll get back into it.

Top Bottom