• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 GAF Ranking Battle - Platform Independent

Gyrian

Rentahamster said:
Hm, I agree that just an endless lobby could cause a bunch of random problems, especially if the skill level among participants is uneven.

What if you run the ranbat through tournament mode? Have 8 (or 4) people show up in a room, have the CPU randomly matchmake, and then award points to the first, second, and third place finishers?

I think we should stick with Tournament mode even if we have less than a full 8 if only because of the randomizer it applies when you start it.

However, I feel that every match played there should count towards the stats based on the scoring system laid out in the OP.

PSN GAFers, I'll be making two rooms to facilitate meeting for Ranbat matches.
If I don't already have you on my list, add me (PSN: Gyrian). I'll be on late tonight, going through the list of players that have left their tags here.

XBL GAFers, Relix will be organizing a way to ease those same meetings on your side.

AZ Greg said:
And rather than risk starting the season and having to make changes which could throw off consistency, I think we should do a 1 day test run either tomorrow or Friday and just pretend it were a normal weekend ranbat day and see how it works. That way you can make any adjustments before this weekend when it starts counting.

Agreed there, too. For that matter, this first weekend could run as the test.
If there are evident problems with the way we're set up, we can re-work the mechanics for the next one.
On the other hand, if everything flows properly, then we've begun.

I'll be out of town this weekend, so it's looking like a late start for me.

AZ Greg

Using tournament mode is a good idea. And as you said Gyr, every match should count. That will allow people to get results in even if someone is dominating the room.

Still wondering about a couple of things (haha, sorry!):

- If you fill a tournament lobby with 8 people then the most wins you can have in that lobby, if you win it all, is 3. So let's say someone is dominating and they win 3 straight tournaments, they'd then be 9-0. They'd be 1 short of their daily limit. So let's say you start up another game and win the first round to go to 10-0, should you just quit at that point? That might then affect fairness as the guy who was supposed to fight you in the second round will now automatically be in the final against, presumably, a tough opponent. I just used the dominating theory to explain the potential issue. In reality, people are going to be hitting their 10 limit at all different times. I guess the best thing to do is just drop after you hit 10 and the people remaining just fight who they fight?

- Using tournament mode solves the issue of people matching-up once they are together in a lobby, but it still doesn't help actually matching-up to get in the lobby. I still see the potential for cherry picking. I'll use an extreme example. I play Vega, his toughest match-up is Rufus. What if I read in the chat that a game has started and they need another person or two. Well if I recognize that everyone in there is a Rufus player then I might hang back until the next room which might be more appealing because it's all Dan players. :p Same example can be used with strong vs. weak players (Though the point system will sorta help this). I think people should enter their respective chats when they are ready to play and the first 5-8 are forced to play each other no matter what. Or if there is a lobby with 5-7 people that are currently playing then the first person(s) to join the chat has/have dibs on getting into that lobby once they finish their current run. And then maybe to discourage hand picking your matches, if you join the chat (which indicates you were ready to play), and then leave (maybe because you don't want to fight the people there for whatever reasons) you get some sorta penalty like you can't participate in a ranbats match for an hour or two? Just to discourage running from certain match-ups. Something like that would make it fair to everyone as you'd have no idea who was in the chat waiting for games until you actually joined it (At least on the XBL IRC side, not sure how PSN chat works).

Gyrian

AZ Greg said:
Using tournament mode is a good idea. And as you said Gyr, every match should count. That will allow people to get results in even if someone is dominating the room.

Still wondering about a couple of things (haha, sorry!):

- If you fill a tournament lobby with 8 people then the most wins you can have in that lobby, if you win it all, is 3. So let's say someone is dominating and they win 3 straight tournaments, they'd then be 9-0. They'd be 1 short of their daily limit. So let's say you start up another game and win the first round to go to 10-0, should you just quit at that point? That might then affect fairness as the guy who was supposed to fight you in the second round will now automatically be in the final against, presumably, a tough opponent. I just used the dominating theory to explain the potential issue. In reality, people are going to be hitting their 10 limit at all different times. I guess the best thing to do is just drop after you hit 10 and the people remaining just fight who they fight?

- Using tournament mode solves the issue of people matching-up once they are together in a lobby, but it still doesn't help actually matching-up to get in the lobby. I still see the potential for cherry picking. I'll use an extreme example. I play Vega, his toughest match-up is Rufus. What if I read in the chat that a game has started and they need another person or two. Well if I recognize that everyone in there is a Rufus player then I might hang back until the next room which might be more appealing because it's all Dan players. :p Same example can be used with strong vs. weak players (Though the point system will sorta help this). I think people should enter their respective chats when they are ready to play and the first 5-8 are forced to play each other no matter what. Or if there is a lobby with 5-7 people that are currently playing then the first person(s) to join the chat has/have dibs on getting into that lobby once they finish their current run. And then maybe to discourage hand picking your matches, if you join the chat (which indicates you were ready to play), and then leave (maybe because you don't want to fight the people there for whatever reasons) you get some sorta penalty like you can't participate in a ranbats match for an hour or two? Just to discourage running from certain match-ups. Something like that would make it fair to everyone as you'd have no idea who was in the chat waiting for games until you actually joined it (At least on the XBL IRC side, not sure how PSN chat works).

Don't be sorry, Greg, keep these coming. :]
The more people are thinking about this, the more solid a foundation we will have for the event.

Everything you're pointing out is a possibility, but keep in mind that if we continue adding minute rules the following could happen:
- There will be lack of clarity on knowing what's allowed and what isn't.
- It may take significantly longer for someone to go through their maximum 10 matches, which will make point tracking for the volunteer stats person more difficult.

An idea here could be that if the same player wins two Tourney modes (in a row or otherwise), he automatically retires to a different set of players.
The designated stat tracker in the session being abandoned closes out this person's stats for the summary post he will make here.
If there aren't enough other players for the Victor to join and get the remainder of his 10 fights in, the players in his original session may elect to keep him anyway, despite his streak.

For abuses in cherry-picking opponents, I'm going to have to think it through more.
I want to believe that this won't be a problem, knowing the players and GAF mores.
If someone keeps dropping in, going "Oh hai", then zipping out because they've walked into a Lion's Den, I doubt people will let that be a free pass for long.

Axis

random ideas:

why not do, say, 8 pools of 8(if we have enough players) and have the winner of each pool move into pool A for the next week and completely randomize the other 7 to keep things fresh? this would make it easy to control and easy to keep up with stats/matchups as you'll know ahead of time...and would virtually kill any shot at "cheating" by anyone. just seems like it'd make it more organized for everyone involved and much less of a clusterfuck. winner of pool A is the only one who stays...the rest get relegated to other pools and have to work back into it.

*shrug* maybe i'm way too tired to be giving suggestions lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
My plan is this....

Make different pools depending of players. Each having 8 players and each initially seeded. The top player of each seed will form begin to form Pool A, which should eventually become the Top 8 players. These will be given ranks like Gyrian explained about having a God Tier, Uppercut, etc.

Each week the top player of each Pool will get to face the Pool A guys (who do fight between themselves). Pool B vs A?

Or something like that. I am sure someone can explain it better :lol

Axis

also, i really think it should be character locked per-week at least if not the whole time...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm a little confused on this, but sign me up on both platforms.

PSN: lyteedge2
XBL: lyte edge

Gyrian

PSN GAF:
Two chat rooms have been created for everyone to meet up and up their Ranbat sessions.
Last night, I invited in as many people as I could. If you don't yet have access, you can hit up regulars like Morro! (floydnova), Gibration, Eraldo Coil, Edgeward, or the_log_ride.

Once again, Ranbats are only on Saturday and Sunday evenings; 10 match maximum.
Join one of these rooms, and gather up via the in-game Tournament mode.
The progression in this mode is irrelevant, we are using it because it randomizes the matches.

Disconnects occasionally happen. Whether that's considered a loss is to the other player's discretion.

Also remember to assign someone to track the session stats for everyone.
All players start in the pool this 1st weekend, so wins are worth 2pt, losses are -1pt.
Also note the number of matches played & matches won per player.

The person who tracked these figures must then post them here.
The other players will quote this post to confirm that they are correct.

Have a great start, and we'll see where we stack come Monday!

-Mikey-

Gyrian said:
PSN GAF:
Two chat rooms have been created for everyone to meet up and up their Ranbat sessions.
Last night, I invited in as many people as I could. If you don't yet have access, you can hit up regulars like Morro! (floydnova), Gibration, Eraldo Coil, Edgeward, or the_log_ride.

The progression in this mode is irrelevant, we are using it because it randomizes the matches.

Disconnects occasionally happen. Whether that's considered a loss is to the other player's discretion.

All players start in the pool this 1st weekend, so wins are worth 2pt, losses are -1pt.

Have a great start, and we'll see where we stack come Monday!

Just to clarify, each player will play 10 matches or 10 matches total for the room?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
XBL GAF

IRC ROOM:
irc.globalgamers.net
Room: #gafranbats
http://www.globalgamers.net/pjirc/chat.php?nick=GAF&chan=gafranbats
When in type
/nick THENAMEYOUWANT
http://wbe01.mibbit.com/?server=irc.globalgamers.net&channel=#gafranbats

XBL and PSN players are both welcome, though I am aiming more for XBL guys who don't have the handy chat function ready.

REMEMBER: RANBATS START TOMORROW! TOURNAMENT MODE IS A MUST TO BE RANKED!

Burli

Pringo
Ahh man - I suck too much to join, but please record your matches if you can guys, would love to watch.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
GAF SSF4 Ranbats Rules:

1) Tournament Mode only.
2) Max of 10 fights per weekend.
3) Locked to 3 different characters.
4) Saturday 12:01AM until Sunday 11:59PM.
Report on the thread, not IRC.

Rules
1) Best of 3 rounds.
2) No character banned.
3) First Week Ranking will work as:

Each fight you win is a +2
Each fight you lose is a -1

By next week with these points we will decide who is God tier, Uppercut tier, etc.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
1) You cannot fight the same person more than three times in one Weekend. The fourth one won't count.
2) TOURNAMENT MODE ONLY (AKA: No endless)
3) In the IRC decides who makes the room, make it according to rules (Best of 3 rounds) and invite the people interested in joining that room.
4) Fight and post results
5) Max of 10 fights per weekend. The first 10. Not the ones you pick
6) 2 points per victory, -1 per defeat.
7) Only Gaffers registered here or who are in the IRC. No one else will be counted. (Pending Gaffers are OK if they are in the IRC room. Except Satyamdas. =P)
8) 12:01AM EST Saturday to 11:59PM EST Sunday.

Reporting:

RELIX (Chun) vs. SomeScrub (Ryu): 2-0 Relix Wins
RELIX (Makoto) vs. Threi (loljay): 2-0 Relix Wins

Easier this way ;)

-Mikey-

Relix said:
1) You cannot fight the same person more than three times in one Weekend. The fourth one won't count.
2) TOURNAMENT MODE ONLY (AKA: No endless)
3) In the IRC decides who makes the room, make it according to rules (Best of 5 rounds) and invite the people interested in joining that room.
4) Fight and post results
5) Max of 10 fights per weekend.
6) 2 points per victory, -1 per defeat.
7) Only Gaffers registered here or who are in the IRC. No one else will be counted. (Pending Gaffers are OK if they are in the IRC room. Except Satyamdas. =P)
8) 12:01AM EST Saturday to 11:59PM EST Sunday.

Awesome! Guess we can start playing tonight!:D

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Axis said:
ok so, should we state our characters here?

chun, cammy and ryu

Nah it's ok. Remember people will report this way (gotta add to rules!)

etc...

So while we are adding the rankings we will notice if you used more than three different characters and not count any fights with a fourth character.

Axis

Relix said:
Nah it's ok. Remember people will report this way (gotta add to rules!)

etc...

So while we are adding the rankings we will notice if you used more than three different characters and not count any fights with a fourth character.

just figured it'd be easier to keep up with per-week...your call, tho.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Axis said:
just figured it'd be easier to keep up with per-week...your call, tho.

You have a good point but everyone is gonna flood the thread with the posts XD. Don't worry we have a very handy Excel file for this stuff haha

Axis

Relix said:
You have a good point but everyone is gonna flood the thread with the posts XD. Don't worry we have a very handy Excel file for this stuff haha

alright cool...just trying to keep it smooth lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
AZ Greg said:
Wait a minute, best of 5 rounds? :\

Why not default?
You could say it's sort of single elimn zo best of 5 rounds sounds better and ups the chances. Remember you only have to win one match to ge :lol :lol t the points.

AZ Greg

Relix said:
You could say it's sort of single elimn zo best of 5 rounds sounds better and ups the chances. Remember you only have to win one match to ge :lol :lol t the points.

Uh, what? :lol I don't think I understand your sentence.

Anyway, best of 5 is lame. It helps turtles and at the same times allows people to play more reckless cause they have a safety net in that it takes more rounds to actually lose. Meter management is also thrown off. There's a reason tournaments use best of 3, it's like a different game. :)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
AZ Greg said:
Uh, what? :lol I don't think I understand your sentence.

Anyway, best of 5 is lame. It helps turtles and at the same times allows people to play more reckless cause they have a safety net in that it takes more rounds to actually lose. Meter management is also thrown off. There's a reason tournaments use best of 3, it's like a different game. :)

:lol :lol That's what I get for writing on my phone. Wow what a mess haha :lol :lol

Well remember, this is only the first week. The rough one. Let's keep at 5, if too many people are bothered by it next time we switch down to 3. Testing the wateeers.... =P.

BTW Ranbats are a go right now. Everywhere. So... =P!

AZ Greg

Eh, I think I'm gonna sit this one out then, at least the first week. If you guys decide to go back to best of 3 then post about it in the main SSF4 thread since I probably won't be following this thread.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
AZ Greg said:
Eh, I think I'm gonna sit this one out then, at least the first week. If you guys decide to go back to best of 3 then post about it in the main SSF4 thread since I probably won't be following this thread.
Two Options then:

Get me at least 2 guys against it

or

Maybe make open round rules to be decided in the chat room?

I honestly prefer 3 rounds. Easier and more tense. Will see how things go down the day and maybe change the rules depending on what I see.

Best of 5 rounds is better for this kind of format IMO.

But I don't particularly care, it just means that I have to put someone on blast for another round.

AZ Greg

Killa Sasa said:
Here's one.

I don't need people having more time to figure out my shenanigans

Not sure if you're being serious, just making a joke, or implying that's the reason I wanted best of 3 over best of 5. If it's the latter, well, I've played most of the people who will be in this over 100 times easily. If that's not enough to figure out certain shenanigans then I doubt an extra couple of rounds will help them.

Like I said, I just think it empowers turtles. I mean, chasing DBJ around while dodging his random bullets is already about as fun as a kick in the nuts, I don't want to have to do that for a potential 2 more rounds. Plus, people like that can be even more reckless with their guesses when they have the safety net of needing to lose 3 times as opposed to 2.

Then there is meter building. This format greatly helps someone like Rufus. For example, Rufus is a tough match-up for a lot of characters, but he really becomes scary once he has meter and has you fearing the EX messiah. When I fight a Rufus I generally rush down and try to quickly take the first round before he has built much meter so I don't have to worry about the EX messiah. However, by the second round he has it and I have to play more cautiously, but the trade-off is that he still has to win 2 rounds whereas I only need to win 1. With this format losing that first round isn't as much of a setback and now he can go to work.

Just changes too many of the dynamics, IMO.

I'm serious about wanting it to be best of 3.

Best of 5 is kind of boring, matches take long enough already. Best of 3 forces you to be on your toes, and it's tourney standard anyway.

And I mean it when I don't want people to figure out my shenanigans :lol.

AZ Greg said:
Like I said, I just think it empowers turtles. I mean, chasing DBJ around while dodging his random bullets is already about as fun as a kick in the nuts, I don't want to have to do that for a potential 2 more rounds. Plus, people like that can be even more reckless with their guesses when they have the safety net of needing to lose 3 times as opposed to 2.
I find it funny that I read this while listening to the Andre-Rahsaan match at Guard Crush, and Tinshi is yelling "Oh my God, it's like watching grass." :lol

And if anyone wants to know about Sasa's shenanigans, I can tell you for a small fee. >_>;

Killa Sasa said:
I'm serious about wanting it to be best of 3.

Best of 5 is kind of boring, matches take long enough already. Best of 3 forces you to be on your toes, and it's tourney standard anyway.

And I mean it when I don't want people to figure out my shenanigans :lol.

Agreed. Best of 3, please.

User 406

Banned
I'd like to get in on this, as I just picked up a cheap used copy of Super the other day.

PSN: Sea_Manky

As for the character selection, is it no more than three different characters per weekend, or for the whole tournament? Through every SF game my main character has always been Random Select, so this rule makes me :(.

Top Bottom