• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Rice-Eater said:
Congrats to Gamerbee, once again Tokido fails to clutch it out when the win was right in front of his face. Someday he'll win one of these international SSF4 majors.

Hey Snowolf, any reactions from the Taiwan vs HK stream? Do they know yet that Gamerbee won, they must be very happy for him.

Yep, we were all watching the Shadowloo stream. Even the people at the Taiwan vs HK venue itself were watching the stream :lol :lol (they're having some lag issues and the grudge match has been delayed an hour)

USD

I much prefer the East Coast tournament standard: best-of-5 games for all finals-- winners, losers, and grand. West Coast seems to go with best-of-5 for grand finals only, while at Shadowloo, they didn't even do that. The match went by way too fast.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Shoutouts to the GAF games a couple of days ago.

So much love! Here and there. But some of you, shame, shame.

Damn it's cold. Bad economy my ass. 15 minute drives taking 40+ minutes. Stay free America.

simtmb

I was at Shadowloo Showdown, basically my first time playing local and on 360 :lol
Let it be known I've never played so bad in my life.

Had to wake up extremely early just to get there in time for the registrations, but unfortunately couldn't sleep. 1hr total of sleep. I get there, feeling so-so, then freeze to death. I got sick on the day :lol

I used the PS2 pad along with the 360 converter that was there, bad choice as my hands were completely stiff. But i figured since I've lately been using pad, much more than stick in SSFIV, maybe i wouldn't be capable enough if i were to use the sticks there.

I was wrong :lol I regretted that the first match i had on the day despite going there early, was my actual first game in pools!

Failed miserably xD, in all my matches, i created several opportunities to punish but never followed through. Failed simple cancels into specials, in block strings with Bison i even slipped up and finished with MK and even HK scissors... -_- I usually have crisp inputs and don't really fail such things, but i even messed up hitting certain normals to AA. I was just....slow. Very slow.

Went so bad, later in the day, i tore it up in casuals though with stick. At the end of the day, i had fun being there and actually seeing what the community was like. I attended the event to see how things were, support the community in AUS somewhat, how little that may be, and to also see if i enjoy myself at such gatherings.

Was a good day, but i won't be attending day 2 as I'm not feeling too well. Might watch the stream if its up however :D

Owensboro

Hello incredible scary and imposing SSFIV community!

I just bought the game yesterday and am looking for some general advice. I bought Street Fighter IV when it came out hoping to re-live my days playing SF2 in the Arcades (and generally sucking at it). What I learned really quickly though was that 1) I didn't know who to play, and 2) I lose online....all the time. Needless to say, after posting on the SRK forums and here and changing characters a lot (Ryu --> Sakura --> Dhalsim -->Balrog --> E. Honda) I found myself hating this game simply because 1 out of every 50 online games I won a round, 1 out of every 100 games I actually beat my opponent.

I am starting to think I just need to buckle down and learn one character regardless of how I do. I don't care about power rankings or anything because honestly I'm never going to be that good at this game. I just want to get good enough that I have a decent win/lose ratio around people in my skill level online. After fooling around with the game I can't help but want to play Dudley because....well.... just look at him! How could I not want to try the gentleman pugilist?

What advice do you have for a nub that knows how all the systems in the game work (specials, EX, FADC, etc...) but just can't break through that barrier to win even two matches in a row? I've played around 20 matches online thus far and have lost them all. I think I have 2 rounds total. In my defense, I'm still going through Dudley's challenges and learning combos. I'm currently up to #22 or 23.

Sorry for the long post BTW. I hope you all can deal with having another newb in the thread. <3

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Owensboro said:

I just bought the game yesterday and am looking for some general advice. I bought Street Fighter IV when it came out hoping to re-live my days playing SF2 in the Arcades (and generally sucking at it). What I learned really quickly though was that 1) I didn't know who to play, and 2) I lose online....all the time. Needless to say, after posting on the SRK forums and here and changing characters a lot (Ryu --> Sakura --> Dhalsim -->Balrog --> E. Honda) I found myself hating this game simply because 1 out of every 50 online games I won a round, 1 out of every 100 games I actually beat my opponent.

I am starting to think I just need to buckle down and learn one character regardless of how I do. I don't care about power rankings or anything because honestly I'm never going to be that good at this game. I just want to get good enough that I have a decent win/lose ratio around people in my skill level online. After fooling around with the game I can't help but want to play Dudley because....well.... just look at him! How could I not want to try the gentleman pugilist?

What advice do you have for a nub that knows how all the systems in the game work (specials, EX, FADC, etc...) but just can't break through that barrier to win even two matches in a row? I've played around 20 matches online thus far and have lost them all. I think I have 2 rounds total. In my defense, I'm still going through Dudley's challenges and learning combos. I'm currently up to #22 or 23.

Sorry for the long post BTW. I hope you all can deal with having another newb in the thread. <3

Stick with one char and one only, learn everything there is to know and then learn the matchups and the footsies. Oh and use a stick... don't bother with pads! It's going to take a long time to learn, just don't give up!

I think more important than learning a specific character at the moment would be learning some fundamentals, stuff like when to jump and basic spacing. I'm sure there are some great guides out there which someone here can link you to. Dudley is a pretty hard character to play, but what's most important is to use someone you find fun.

Axis

Owensboro said:

basically all there is to it...is to just play. be willing to look and see what you did wrong afterwards and fix it the next time you play...do you play on xbl or psn?

Wiseblade

Owensboro said:

Don't be ashamed about losing a lot; most here could wax poetic about how badly they've been beat down when they first started out. You're already ahead of the curve by looking to improve rather than just whining and quitting.

This might sound really cold but if you're losing that badly then you probably need to work on your fundamentals like blocking and teching properly.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Owensboro said:

play people on GAF and they'll tell you things you're obviously doing wrong. If you're on XBL, i'll play you. GT = TimedogGAF

Learning one character will help because it will be easier to learn what moves of your character punishes the moves of the other characters in the game. For example, Ryu's dragon punch will punish a blocked level 2-6 Balrog turn punch. If I was trying to play all the characters, I might not have figured this out. I'd say stick with one character until you get the fundamentals down, then start branching out.

rich-boy.jpg

Owensboro

Wiseblade said:
Don't be ashamed about losing a lot; most here could wax poetic about how badly they've been beat down when they first started out. You're already ahead of the curve by looking to improve rather than just whining and quitting.

This might sound really cold but if you're losing that badly then you probably need to work on your fundamentals like blocking and teching properly.

Oh no, it's not cold at all. I definitely know I need to work on both of those, especially teching. I've found that I'm decent at blocking during online play but never know how to "punish" someone effectively. I've blocked an entire string of attacks before only to try and immediately hit back but get crushed instead. Thanks so much for the video, it's got some great suggestions in it. I'm probably going to watch the whole series now when I have time. Right now when I'm playing I'm just trying to commit special moves to muscle memory. I've never main-ed a half-circle character in any fighter, but it's been fun to learn so far!

Timedog said:
play people on GAF and they'll tell you things you're obviously doing wrong. If you're on XBL, i'll play you. GT = TimedogGAF

Learning one character will help because it will be easier to learn what moves of your character punishes the moves of the other characters in the game. For example, Ryu's dragon punch will punish a blocked level 2-6 Balrog turn punch. If I was trying to play all the characters, I might not have figured this out. I'd say stick with one character until you get the fundamentals down, then start branching out.

I'm on PSN :(. Thanks for the offer to help though!

USD

Missed the Sako-Momochi match. Sako starting off with Rose, while Momochi starts off with Ryu. Minor match spoiler:
Momochi ends up using Ryu, Akuma, Ken and finally Viper, while Sako sticks with Rose for the entire match.
Apparently, Sp00ky didn't re-stream so we have to stick with the NSB recordings:

Part 1 (Jump the the marker)
Part 2

Between Part 1 and 2, one round was skipped, but Gama plays the replay of it after the match, along with the last few games (with input data).

hitsugi

_Xenon_ said:
Damn, so the cammy god fad is over as well? Looks like instant dive kick nerf is bigger than we thought.

even if it doesn't end up being a huge nerf, it's an annoyance that they felt it was necessary to do.. especially with all of the dive kick action coming in AE.

simtmb said:
Shadowloo recounting

Hey good stuff man! That first tourney is always so exciting, and yeah definitely nerve wrecking. It's good to hear you had fun, hopefully there's more of these experiences in store for you in the future *thumbs up*

hitsugi said:
even if it doesn't end up being a huge nerf, it's an annoyance that they felt it was necessary to do.. especially with all of the dive kick action coming in AE.

Cammy can still use her divekick like yun/yang, she just can't use it like rufus anymore, completely different type of divekick. Yun/Yang's divekick are nothing like cammy/rufus divekicks.

Whether it's a nerf or not (this will be determined by how good her new normals are) Cammy is essentially a different character since she won't be having a 50/50 mixup when she's in. She went from being a well-rounded Rufus to a more well rounded Balrog.

I still can't iterate enough how much I hate scrubs complaining about how SF4 is a turtle fest, but at the same time complain about cammy's divekick. Congrats, capcom listened!

USD

20,000+ posts, OT3 incoming?
_Xenon_ said:
Damn, so the cammy god fad is over as well? Looks like instant dive kick nerf is bigger than we thought.
I wouldn't read into it that much. There's no way to tell why Sako picked Rose based on a single match. For all we know, it could have just been a Shoto counterpick.
_dementia said:
I went to bed early and missed the Shadowloo tourney. It wasn't recorded was it?
It was recorded, but the matches will be uploaded to YouTube eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom