• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
USD said:
Level|Up is going to be streaming an AE tournament from Round 1 Arcade later today, starting at 2PM PST (4.5 hours from now).

64-man tourney, here's a list of the participants.

Or if you're too lazy to click the link: Valle, Wong, Combofiend, Marn, Floe, Mike Ross, James Chen, AndyOCR, Warahk, Tatsu, LainySky, Keno, UltraDavid, Hugo 101, Jayce will all be there.
Nice. Will Oni and E.Ryu be unlocked?

Opiate said:
In to the gaming forum for a week!

I'm actually looking to buy a hitbox soon and join the fun. Which system should I buy for? And what is the best configuration for a hitbox (Which is what I want)?

Saw the link to this. Looks pretty wild...

Also, w00t w00t! Community Spotlight for us!

h3ro

~Devil Trigger~ said:
what does "community Spotlight" mean for this thread?

The thread is moved over back to the Gaming side from Community for a week.

I'm really hyped for the AE stream! I love watching Marn Duds. Did he ever announce a new sponsor?

Marn Catz?

Marn Combo flavored Combos?

I'm terribad with a stick, but I play piano, so I figured a "piano" layout would help. I don't know enough about fighting games and button techniques, so I couldn't figure a good layout out. This is awesome.

I'd love to try one myself.

Natural

USD said:
Level|Up is going to be streaming an AE tournament from Round 1 Arcade later today, starting at 2PM PST (4.5 hours from now).

Or if you're too lazy to click the link: Valle, Wong, Combofiend, Marn, Floe, Mike Ross, James Chen, AndyOCR, Warahk, Tatsu, LainySky, Keno, UltraDavid, Hugo 101, Jayce will all be there.

Sweeet. I haven't seen any AE stuff since the Evil Ryu and Oni Akuma unlocking.

Opiate

~Devil Trigger~ said:
what does "community Spotlight" mean for this thread?

Okay, I'll go over this exactly once (because I've already gone over it before in other CS threads).

We cannot bring these large game threads back in to the gaming forum. These threads, after a few months, tend to distill down to a select group of people (perhaps a dozen, perhaps a few dozen) who still enjoy the game and continue coming back to the thread. If we left these threads in the gaming forum, then the front page of gaming would have Halo/TF2/SF/CoD/SC2/etc on the front page forever, obscuring all others threads, which is decidedly inconvenient for people who are looking for recent news, information, and analysis.

However, the community forum isn't as frequented as I would personally like (I'm a very adamant multiplayer gamer). My compromise is this: every week, I pull one community in to the spotlight. This serves two purposes: it lets the community get another chance to bring in new users to a game that may be months or years old; and it reminds people of the existance of the community forum, giving them incentive to visit if they happen to like what they see.

I recommend you use the time to not only continue discussing SF4, but also explaining why SF4 is so great and why new players would enjoy it even though it's now a year old game.

For example, I'm a primarily PC user, and would like to get a hitbox that has PC connectivity, but I'm not sure how disappointed I'll be by SF4 instead of SSF4. Should I suck it up and play on my PS3? Is there even a community left on the PC?

Opiate

Iron E Man said:
I was wondering what happened to this thread. Never bothered to check the community tab :(

See? Here we go. Here's your chance to attract new people and get old players back, guys. Convince me that SF4 is awesome and that I should be buying it.

I'll add another question to my list: I haven't played SF since SF2:T. Given that history, what is a good choice for a competitive gamer looking for a "beginner" character that I don't need to keep long term? I don't necessarily want a character that allows me to "pwn" immediately, but rather, one that allows me to move up the learning curve rapidly.

Edgeward

Ryu. He's the most balanced of any character, good zoning, anti-airs, and footsies. Also his uppercut hits multiple times so it's a good place to start learning to practice focus attack dash cancels, which is important in making attacks safe and also have them lead to big combos.

Axis

Opiate said:
See? Here we go. Here's your chance to attract new people and get old players back, guys. Convince me that SF4 is awesome and that I should be buying it.

I'll add another question to my list: I haven't played SF since SF2:T. Given that history, what is a good choice for a competitive gamer looking for a "beginner" character that I don't need to keep long term? I don't necessarily want a character that allows me to "pwn" immediately, but rather, one that allows me to move up the learning curve rapidly.

balrog, you can't unlearn footsies. haha

Opiate said:

Who did you use then? I tried Akuma when SFIV came out, but I suck with him (still). I remembered that I used to play with Chun Li back then, and, well, you can see from my av how that went.

Honestly, there aren't many characters that are awful.

From my noob perspective:

Play on the PS3. I hated, HATED SFIV simply because there was no character I truly liked. Now I have quite a few characters that I like and some that have been buffed to relevance. There's also a constant community on the PS3.

Now, if you want a beginner character, don't look further than Ken and Ryu to get the game mechanics down. However, different playstyles might look for something different.

If you like rushdowns, mix ups, stuns, and risk, go for Ibuki, Sakura, Cammy, and Juri. You like "meatier" characters that hit hard, have high life but somewhat limited mobility, look to Dudley, Cody, Sagat.

You know, it's really hard to go wrong in this game. The only characters I'd recommend avoiding are Gen, Dee Jay, and Hakan (they get buffed in AE, though.)

Simple characters to pick up are Cody and Fei Long. Can't think of anyone else at the moment. I personally like characters with Target Combos (Ibuki, Dudley) because it's a bit easier for me.

Imm0rt4l

Tiger uppercut said:
Hopefully by the end the week, we'll be much closer to OT4.

OT:Watching a good gouken play on Jay's stream is disorienting.
shiine is still on a tear.

edit: he lost to a blanka

Sephiroth got pretty close to beating him a couple times with Adon, I wonder why he isn't using viper.

Natural

Opiate said:

Playing as Ryu (for example) from the get go might be good so you can get the fundamentals down etc, but you might not actually enjoy playing as him!

I'd recommend going through the character trials first. See what player you like from their moves and specials and take it from there. Each character is good in their own way, and I'm positive you'd be more inclined to get better with a character you actually like playing than playing as a character just because they're the "easiest"!

El Sloth

Banned
Opiate said:
For example, I'm a primarily PC user, and would like to get a hitbox that has PC connectivity, but I'm not sure how disappointed I'll be by SF4 instead of SSF4. Should I suck it up and play on my PS3? Is there even a community left on the PC?
Well, other than the lack of characters compared to SFIV, the player base on SFIV PC doesn't seem to be ver big, although I'm only basing that off what I hear from the PC players. I think it might be best to suck it up and go for SSIV on the PS3/360. There's larger cast of characters, the nonsense that is SFIV Sagat is not present, and you can always find gaffers on both systems up for a game

Opiate said:
When I was starting out people always told me to play around with Ryu for a bit to learn the basics and get the most common inputs down and just generally get a feel for the pace of the game of the game. Then slowly branch out to the other characters.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
If you've been playing fighters for a long time the basics of shotos, grapplers and certain charge characters should be familiar. From there it's just a matter of preference. Ryu is about zoning and footsies, Akuma about mixups and Ken is best played as rushing down, etc. I find the whole cast being enjoyable to play in given situations. It's all about variety.

SupaNaab

I found playing with a few specific characters really taught me how to fight. Ryu teaches you all your fundamentals he really has an answer for almost anything. Charge characters helped my execution and timing as I quickly learned where my joystick should be positioned. Charge characters makes small execution changes to your intial playstyle that eventually become habitual (when I jump now I immediately hold downback or back because it's habit whether or not I play a charge character). Third character is Zangief. Zangief will teach you how to avoid damage, and how to poke. Its a very frustrating but rewarding playstyle. You learn how to manuever around the playing field and the specific ranges you need to be to make things happen. Lots of characters really make you a better player for trying them. Dhalsim can teach you all about defense and keeping someone out, Fuerte can give you a quick lesson in mixups, etc.

NeoUltima

USD said:

Awesome. Just 2 more hours(of course, I bet it will start late).

USD said:

I want to see combofiend makoto and jwong yang.

Cloudius12 said:

I got Vanilla for PC as well, but I live on the East Coast of the mainland(North Carolina). Still, I'll play you if you want to add me. My name is RiceEater483. I'm normally only on past midnight, so if you're available during the late afternoon than that would be perfect timing for the both of us.

GhaleonEB

notworksafe said:
It means the thread is in the Gaming forum for a week
It also means I see the community spotlight bit and keep clicking on it and then get confused about what's going on in the Halo thread.

Imm0rt4l said:
You're Trying to run through some people with OG Gen aren't you.
oh you, I do no such thing.

Trollface_HD.jpg

Satyamdas

Banned
So weird to see this talk of SF4 PC. I've been playing a lot of GGPO recently, and since my stick has been plugged into my PC I've been dinking around with dat SF4 PC a bit. Jlai and I played maybe 15 games or so just last night.

1. HOLY SHIT is Sim trash in this game. Drills are basically useless, EX Yoga Fires don't go full screen, he does much less damage than in Super, and in Vanilla before the nerfs hit, he got shredded even faster by strong characters.

1a. HOLY SHIT it's hard to overstate how badly Gen got hit with the nerfstick. His mk > hands loop being gone is one thing, but that also leads to him building meter much slower in Super, especially since they lowered how much meter he builds from hands. It's criminal, what they did to him.

2. The game feels kinda stiff, and clunky compared to Super. I know that Super isn't any faster, but it is noticeably more fluid and smoother. There is a lot more jerkiness to the characters during hits. Nothing problematic, just easy to notice after almost a year of Super and not having touched Vanilla.

3. The graphics. OMG TEH GRAFIX. UNF UNF UNF. So. Fucking. Pretty. They fucking HAVE TO release AE for PC at some point. Between the detailed new alt costumes, new characters and the new stages, I need to see all that shit in glorious 1080p with all effects on max and Extra Touch set to Watercolor. Like, now. Posthaste. Pronto. Get on it, Capcom. >:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom