• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeEarth

Which Japanese player is rocking Sakura these days again? I know he is a known name but it escapes me right now. I need to prepare for the GAF ranbats!

LakeEarth

Thanks. I really want to look at different matchups and see how he plays it. I can do the combos, I know a few crossup setups, but I still do stupid things in certain situations and I want to figure stuff out.

How I wish that new CrossCounter 90 minute Yun tutorial existed for more characters.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow. Boxer vs Yun is 9-1, right? PLEASE tell me it's 9-1.

zlatko

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Wow. Boxer vs Yun is 9-1, right? PLEASE tell me it's 9-1.

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Then please tell me what to do!

His j.mp (?) beats EVERYTHING I do (I can't MK anti-air him). I can't keep constant divekick pressure because of all of his anti-air. I can't play footsies because of his jab and fierce... and he hits like a completely beast on Yun.

I DOMINATE every other match up but in the finals I meet this Balrog and I get 6-0.

What the fuck?

Dahbomb

You should be baiting out the anti-air normals with fake dive kicks (the L version ones) and then punish with the Lunge punch. Once you knock him down apply the mix ups and he can't really do much then. Also use more Palms.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Kimosabae said:
Viper has no learning curve. It's all "Herp Derp".
I think you're conflating two discussions here. No one disputes the execution required to make Viper effective and the amount of time required to realize that execution. That's not why Viper is labeled "herp derp".

Viper is called herp derp because she is loaded with brain-dead low-risk/high-reward mix-ups. On top of that, Viper's mobility allows her to frequently subvert the traditional zoning and footsies aspects of Street Fighter with great success while simultaneously being able to control space in ways that no one else can. Bottom line is that Viper's toolset is wildly out of place in Street Fighter - she doesn't quite play by the same "rules" as the rest of the cast.

SFIV is full of herp derp characters who have mindless, safe pressure (see: Balrog, M. Bison) and characters who have brain-dead mix-ups (see: Abel, El Fuerte). Viper just happens to combine both in one handy package with mobility, huge damage, and stun output. The fact that Viper has a high execution barrier doesn't make her any less herp derp from a tactical standpoint. If anything, the execution requirements of Viper have blunted criticism of her character design since she isn't as widely played as she "should" be given her effectiveness.

Yoshichan said:

His j.mp (?) beats EVERYTHING I do (I can't MK anti-air him). I can't keep constant divekick pressure because of all of his anti-air. I can't play footsies because of his jab and fierce... and he hits like a completely beast on Yun.

I DOMINATE every other match up but in the finals I meet this Balrog and I get 6-0.

What the fuck?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Yoshichan

black_vegeta said:
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Oh god, avatar quotes... why you gone

zlatko

Banned
Yoshichan said:

What the fuck?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUWEyAiV6k4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh80Pg7d2wk&playnext=1&list=PL65AAD8FDF2ACF516

Do some of that shit.

Yoshichan

Thanks for the link.

zlatko

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Oh god, avatar quotes... why you gone

Also, check out the shoryuken.com yun thread for the balrog match up. W/e info you're missing is there.

If the Balrog plays mad safe, then do long block strings and throw in throws/ex command grabs. If he likes to mash headbutts/jabs, then up kick once or twice to keep him from not doing that anymore. All Yun seems to need is one knock down, and Balrog is fucked if you know how to do a cross up light kick dive kick safely.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
_dementia said:
IRL Blanka?

4LYFE.

Also, as you can see in the daigo vs rog clips, if you want your c.hp to beat yuns divekick you gotta do some physic shit and pretty much do it the very moment he leaves the ground or else it'll mess you up.

mess.
yu
ap.

edit : the game vs damage ink, I think I counted 14 or so divekicks in the first game and he only managed to punish one of them. Sure he's up against daigo but I loved when people told me " you've got a billion different ways to deal with divekicks " as rog.

Oh well, bygones are bygones, I ain't touching rog again. r.i.p

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
_dementia said:
Are there many Seth/Viper bandwagoners online these days?

You know what, I'm cool with this. Both of them are hard to play as your average xbl/psn warrior. So I'd rather be up against random vipers/seths than other characters.

Calibrated

Neo Member
Anyone up for a few endless battles later on this evening? Trying to get better with Yang and although ppl say hes OP, I suck with him lol...

Im in the UK so EU preferred but sometimes get a nice connection to USA

GT is Calibrated on 360 if anyone wants to play!

Imm0rt4l

We see a lot of redrapper on the scene lately, but what happened to turbo?

Also, thunderbolt may be the most useless special in the game, hopefully it gets some sort of buff.

Imm0rt4l said:

Also, thunderbolt may be the most useless special in the game, hopefully it gets some sort of buff.
Turbo hasn't made an SF song in a long while :(

Imm0rt4l said:

Turbo has been busy working on his new album. The last SF-related song he made was on Electro Rock v5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOSDRKUkoHI&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_55171

EDIT: Wrong song, but it's still good. Looking for his latest SF one now.

EDIT 2: He uploaded this a while ago where he meets a fan and plays some SSFIV.

This is his latest SF-related song: Psycho Brigade.

Satyamdas

Banned
DjangoReinhardt said:
I think you're conflating two discussions here. No one disputes the execution required to make Viper effective and the amount of time required to realize that execution. That's not why Viper is labeled "herp derp".

Viper is called herp derp because she is loaded with brain-dead low-risk/high-reward mix-ups. On top of that, Viper's mobility allows her to frequently subvert the traditional zoning and footsies aspects of Street Fighter with great success while simultaneously being able to control space in ways that no one else can. Bottom line is that Viper's toolset is wildly out of place in Street Fighter - she doesn't quite play by the same "rules" as the rest of the cast.

SFIV is full of herp derp characters who have mindless, safe pressure (see: Balrog, M. Bison) and characters who have brain-dead mix-ups (see: Abel, El Fuerte). Viper just happens to combine both in one handy package with mobility, huge damage, and stun output. The fact that Viper has a high execution barrier doesn't make her any less herp derp from a tactical standpoint. If anything, the execution requirements of Viper have blunted criticism of her character design since she isn't as widely played as she "should" be given her effectiveness.
2aj9t77.jpg

Thank you for distilling what I've been saying into such a precise and clear post. I frankly don't understand how anyone can disagree with what you just said. And for all my trolling of the character, I don't really think Viper doesn't belong in Street Fighter. I think that *as is* she is just a little too effective and her ability to subvert the "rules" of SF compounded with the damage she deals as the result of a simple Burn Kick or EX Seismo is a bit much. Either tone the damage down, or make her shit less safe. And like you said, Viper is hardly the only character who benefits from mindless, safe pressure, and who does big damage. Personally I just like trolling Viper because her defenders get so worked up. ^_^

Imm0rt4l

Professor Beef said:
Turbo has been busy working on his new album. The last SF-related song he made was on Electro Rock v5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOSDRKUkoHI&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_55171

EDIT: Wrong song, but it's still good. Looking for his newest one now.

EDIT 2: He uploaded this a while ago where he meets a fan and plays some SSFIV.

This is his latest SF-related song: Psycho Brigade.
was curious, because I thought I saw a picture of turbo with ono a while back, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Welp, less than 50 posts before we hit OT4, we should probably think of some new names.

Imm0rt4l

Super Street Figgter 4 Arcade Edition|OT| Time to bring out the twins!
Super Street Figgter 4 Arcade Edition|OT| Revenge of the PRC
Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition|OT| Just choose a Chinese Character
Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition|OT| Divekicks and infinite blockstun
Super Street Figgter 4 Arcade Edition|OT| Version:2012 can't come soon enough
Super Street Figgter 4 Arcade Gundam Wing Edition
Super Street Figgter 4 Arcade Edition|OT| Where's Heero Yuy?

AZ Greg said:
You know what "subverts" the rules of SF? A giant ass 50/50 Ultra fireball.

shots fired

Satyamdas

Banned
Imm0rt4l said:
shots fired
More like "dud fizzles out".

Greg is still salty about the million times I was able to land that beautiful ball of fire on his ass. I will take it to my grave as one of my greatest achievements in SF, that I was able to turn an otherwise normal guy into a raging lunatic over a 300 max damage Ultra. ^_^

AZ Greg

Saty just salty that his win % is around 75% in rounds when the ultra hits and 4% when it doesn't. Probably also a little salty that he needs it to hold his hand in match-ups where U2 is the better choice. :(

But hey, nothing says SF like a coin flip bailout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom