• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bossun

I want to like this show but it's so corny and the CGI is really bad. Acting is weird too.
I understand they want to cater to feminine viewers but I don't think it needs to be this corny.

Anyway, surprisingly I was impressed by the black guy that saw the alien and decided to directly flee instead of the usual "han! What are you!" shoot shoot bang bang dies.

Finally someone with common sense.

pigeon

Banned
I really want to like this show. I love the cast and I like all the concepts. Supergirl is a great character with good potential.

The day-to-day writing just isn't good right now. The dialog is just inexplicably clunky. I thought the first episode might have suffered a lot from them trying to do too much in the pilot, but the second episode isn't much better. I feel like they're trying to force a lot of stuff that doesn't have to happen so fast and so hard. Just let the show breathe.

I don't mind the effects, it's TV after all, but they're not making good choices. Why stage a fight between two flying people if you know you can't make it look good and you're going to have to do a bunch of jump cuts whenever anybody hits anybody? Nobody would have complained if they'd just stayed on the ground. What did flying get you?

The Flash did a way better job of using very cheap CG coupled with intelligent staging to sell his powers. Nobody's going to be pissed that Supergirl looks cheap unless you spend a bunch of time pointing the camera straight at the stuff that looks cheap.

I'm not going to stop watching because I really want to see the show succeed, but I am a little bummed right now that they have a great property and great actors and they are not using them effectively.

Jetman

Gonna eat my words here, and say that I actually liked this second episode. It was fun to watch, and Benoist? Damn, she's fine. Starting to feel like she's making the best with the script she's given acting wise.
Only issues I had were the wire-fu fight with General Astra and the non-sensical "trap" laid out for Hellgrammite. Drive across the bridge with a bunch of chemicals, he shows up, and everyone leans out the car window to shoot him with handguns? A Superman level villain and this is the trap, really?

Enjoying differences between this and a Superman character, like Kara fucking up the fire situation at the docks, and her realizing she can't start off at a sprint comparable to Superman when it comes to heroics. Also like that she has more memories of Krypton, their society, and insight into what the House of El stands for, etc.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Casting is great but the writing and action scenes are truly awful. The mid air drunken dance scene that was supposed to be a fight was embarrassing.

bwahhhhh

Of all the things I dislike Smallville for I'll always like their take on heat vision.

It was actual heat emitting from his eyes in focused waves of heat and it was a better representation of the power than the usual "laser vision" IMO and at non-close up angles it did have the red "laser" like visual could still be seen... Or at least it did once or twice. Smallville's version was even used in Superman Returns.

Yeah, for live action I prefer it too, it was invisible (either high power infrared or focused x-ray vision) but superheated the air/water-in-air around it creating the turbulence/ripples

But I still would think Livewire would be way more flashy than just regular old casual wear. I would think like a nightclub outfit with a leather jacket or something. Hopefully they can do the spectacle of her powers justice. Right now she just kinda looks like Liv from iZombie.

Oliva_Moore_(iZombie)_0001.jpg

Livwire

What's funny is that in either universe, the Man of Steel or the Supergirl one, Superman sucks at representing the symbol on his fuckin' chest.

Toa TAK

Banned
Second episode was awesome. Glad they're not holding back so much, I hope they keep at the pace they're at right now. Things are moving along nicely.

Also, I'm going to need the score to this show once this season is over.

What's funny is that in either universe, the Man of Steel or the Supergirl one, Superman sucks at representing the symbol on his fuckin' chest.

Don't start this.

Casting is great but the writing and action scenes are truly awful. The mid air drunken dance scene that was supposed to be a fight was embarrassing.

I enjoyed that fight quite a bit. Though, my expectations for action sequences like that in a superhero show on CBS were really low to nonexistent to begin with.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well, if they are gonna have mid-air fights, they really need to figure out how exactly she flies. Does she need initial momentum, can she just sort of float and fly at mach+ speeds, etc. Right now it looks super awkward and inconsistent, I'd almost rather they do the George Reeves "leap offstage" bit for most of her take-offs and not really have her fly indoors with the way they are depicting it.

They also need to figure out what hurts her and how much. She'll gasp from a blow to the stomach but walk away care-free from a body slam onto concrete. I really don't want a "Man of Steel" level of invincibility for a TV show but it looks like they are going that way.

Not

Banned
I really like this show so far. It's mostly White Feminism™, but baby steps. It's only been 2 episodes.

Not

Banned
White Feminism?

I was gonna describe it for you but I just googled it and the first links do a better job than I could. Basically, "women" have not had the vote in America since the 20s-- white women have. It's about not focusing on one issue while simultaneously marginalizing another. Research it and you'll see its actually a bigger problem than you'd think, especially among prominent feminists in our society.

But for real, I love this show. It's about about about time we got something like this that seems to be nailing all the beats.

Busty

Banned
I really like this show so far. It's mostly White Feminism™, but baby steps. It's only been 2 episodes.

lTbkI.gif

I was gonna describe it for you but I just googled it and the first links do a better job than I could. Basically, "women" have not had the vote in America since the 20s-- white women have. It's about not focusing on one issue while simultaneously marginalizing another. Research it and you'll see its actually a bigger problem than you'd think, especially among prominent feminists in our society.

Chloe_Moretz.gif

Whats a episode this while over with my dad.

Seems like a fun light hearted thing. I appreciate that its set in daytime most of the time as well because Arrow and Daredevil are all dark all the time.

Also my Dad thought it was cool that Jimmy Olsen was a black dude. Also turns out my dad was way into Superman comics back in the day.

Volimar

Whats a episode this while over with my dad.

Seems like a fun light hearted thing. I appreciate that its set in daytime most of the time as well because Arrow and Daredevil are all dark all the time.

Also my Dad thought it was cool that Jimmy Olsen was a black dude. Also turns out my dad was way into Superman comics back in the day.

Has he seen Man of Steel?

I'm watching the second episode and It's great how much fun it is. I get that she's adorable and everything, but I hope she gets a bit more serious, when it's needed. Not that the show needs to get Arrow or Gotham serious, but it would be great if she can get a bit more serious and badass. Also, way too much "cousin" stuff. I hope that by the season break it's established enough that she's in the same universe as him, but since he's not going to show up, there's no need to mention him constantly. As for the fighting, I consider it growing pains, hopefully.

And I saved the weirdest complaint the end.
It would be so great if she'd have less make-up as Supergirl. I know it's not ever going to happen, but it's so unnecessary and really seems a bit much on some scenes.

Zomba13

So far I like it. I don't like the fights or anything though. Even when being knocked through walls or hitting steel beams punches don't feel like they have impact and fighting in mid air is like a slap fight with both sides held up by wires.

I like the laser eyes though.

Oddduck

They also need to figure out what hurts her and how much. She'll gasp from a blow to the stomach but walk away care-free from a body slam onto concrete. I really don't want a "Man of Steel" level of invincibility for a TV show but it looks like they are going that way.

I agree.

I want to see a tiny bit more consistency on what hurts her and what doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom