• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno how you can't. Those two minor segments are the definition of blatant foreshadowing that the things you're noting as problems are already accounted for.

I don't disagree that they could botch the execution of it. But the specific complaints you made seem to have been already addressed before you even made them - within the text of the episode itself. That's what I'm saying. Meaning they're not so much problems as they are setup for what the characters are going to actually be.

I'm just going to go ahead and list Almost Human as a recent example of foreshadowing that never paid off. They foreshadowed a deeper plot arc in the early episodes and then abandoned it, going completely procedural for the rest of the ordered run. This is broadcast TV. And for every series that pays it's foreshadowing off, there are 2 or 3 that change direction entirely.

Edit: And actually I can list Arrow as a much closer example of character foreshadowing that was clearly altered. The Laurel character was shown as being competent in combat, clearly foreshadowing. However, that was dropped almost entirely when plot changes created another, entirely new character and that character was loved by the fans. The foreshadowing eventually paid off but seasons later than it should have and at the cost of basically retconning the early foreshadowing and basically resetting the Laurel character, almost entirely.

I know what it is, man.

Again, I'm not saying they couldn't botch the execution of this. But you'd also have to argue that the examples you're citing are applicable here. I'm not sure that they are.

Well Arrow is certainly more applicable, seeing as how it's a Berlanti show in the same vein as Supergirl. Whether or not we'll see the same or similar things in Supergirl remains to be seen.

However, I'm not going to take some vague foreshadowing as proof-positive that the issues will be fixed soon. So I'm looking at these things through a lens of caution rather than hope or confidence. I don't see why that's a problem.

Evilcrane

I quite like the upbeat attitude the show seems to be going for and the production values seem pretty similar to The Flash, meaning pretty damn good for a tv show! I actually find it a bit worrying that the fight scenes are already a lot better than anything we get to see on The Arrow and so far the writing is closer to the quality on The Flash. Obviously the main thing is that I think they cast Supergirl really well - Melissa Benoist does a great job with the dialogue and geeky/comedic timing, but my main concern is my sick thigh fetish and how I am going to survive a full season...

Edit: Oh yeah and the sister is really hot too, see below ;)

8d3ae61a2b1096e4b8ba1e5d73b2d6cc.jpg

GOAT

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I dont think im gonna survive this show, it might be background noise show for when im working but urgh. So many cringe worthy dialogue/moments, uninteresting supporting cast.

Melissa is great casting and the special FX are solid, but those are the 2 positives I can think of so far.

Joni

She can go the speed of sound already. At least Barry can still go the speed of lightning.
I liked the saving normal people thing, especially the snake.

Damn good episode. Loved the kryptonite laced weapons, but the superfight wasn't particularly great.

Kinda glad they didn't draw out the confrontation though.

Corpekata

Banned
Show is starting to gel for me aside from the Catco stuff. Not sure how they'll make that interesting. Some decent moments of comedy I guess, but it feels like it's part of a different show still.

The effects have been on the level of Flash's. What's wrong with the writing?

Doesn't mean they're good. It only makes me cringe and laugh. The floating punch battle was hilariously awful. There was no power being transferred, just looked like a wire slap fest similar to when Team America World Police would just dangle the dolls in front of each other like they were fighting.

Writing is too on the head and soap like. Standard "you gotta trust me" crap and "I can do this, just have faith!"

strafer

Doesn't mean they're good. It only makes me cringe and laugh. The floating punch battle was hilariously awful. There was no power being transferred, just looked like a wire slap fest similar to when Team America World Police would just dangle the dolls in front of each other like they were fighting.

Writing is too on the head and soap like. Standard "you gotta trust me" crap and "I can do this, just have faith!"

Yeah, I half expected some MoS level punches.

smash5auz0.gif

ReAxion

Not in this show's universe. I'm pretty sure it was clearly spelled out that it's a secret that they had been keeping close to the chest.

I just want to know how it came to be that Supergirl knows about it and that government has a room that emits variable levels of its radiation.

I just want to know how it came to be that Supergirl knows about it and that government has a room that emits variable levels of its radiation.

Did Kara know about it until the moment they turned the emitters on? She seemed to think she had no weaknesses.

The fact the DEO knew exactly what it did under these circumstances and are able to emit it in variable amounts, let alone create weapons made of it, is indeed weird though. Hopefully it's explained better as the series moves on.

Joni

Except General Astra who's been on earth for more than a decade and has known about Superman.

She hasn't accomplished anything when you think about it. Why do people follow her?

Do we know they crashed at the same time? The second episode seemed to imply this alien had only been on the loose for a year.

Pilgrimzero

Except General Astra who's been on earth for more than a decade and has known about Superman.

She hasn't accomplished anything when you think about it. Why do people follow her?

She may be the strongest/most ruthless. It can;t believe she was an actual General though.

She's wanted to capture a DEO agent "for awhile" but never just went and grabbed one?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I thought it would take a bit more time for them to hit it off...but only on ep 2 and it feels like the sexual tension between Kara and Jim..i mean James is quite high lol. Wasnt this suposed to be a triangle if anything at all ?

Never mind - ep 2 was good even though the air fight against Auntie looked quite bad.
She's wanted to capture a DEO agent "for awhile" but never just went and grabbed one?

Yeah this was stupid..i was like..really ?

Joni

I thought it would take a bit more time for them to hit it off...but only on ep 2 and it feels like the sexual tension between Kara and Jim..i mean James is quite high lol. Wasnt this suposed to be a triangle if anything at all ?

Never mind - ep 2 was good even though the air fight against Auntie looked quite bad.

The triangle part still has to come.

Man of Steel showed us two kyrptonians going at it, even if she isn't as tough as Superman, what I watched in episode 2 was a joke.

It doesn't seem reasonable to me to expect Supergirl to have effects on the level of Man of Steel. There's a world of difference in the budget and the time they have to complete filming. Honestly, I think they're doing just fine; it's a pleasant surprise they're doing as much flight stuff as they are rather than just having her stand around in a heroic pose all the time.

I'm pretty confident they'll get better at the wire work too. It's incredibly hard to do and for what budget they had to work with, it wasn't too bad.

It doesn't seem reasonable to me to expect Supergirl to have effects on the level of Man of Steel. There's a world of difference in the budget and the time they have to complete filming. Honestly, I think they're doing just fine; it's a pleasant surprise they're doing as much flight stuff as they are rather than just having her stand around in a heroic pose all the time.

Of course it's not reasonable to expect TV budget to match a movie, which is why they shouldn't have done the fight and should have written something different.

Expecting effects anywhere close to Man of Steel is setting those expectations ridiculously high, the Metropolis Clark/Zod fight probably cost as much as a dozen episodes of Supergirl to make.

We knew that "flying" fight would be terrible from the portion of it we case in one of the previews. But yeah, hopefully it gets better.

Oh and the ratings, it's kind of interesting that the 18-34 demo isn't that far off of The Flash and Arrow while on the 50+ side feeds into just how much of CBS's viewership is "old people" who just leave their TVs set to CBS. Male viewership is double the female for both Arrow and Flash is around double the female (which plays into why its CWisms and ship pandering in Arrow's case might be so irritating) the marketing might have worked for Supergirl since it's much closer.

bwahhhhh

I like the show, and its general tone so far. it feels lighthearted, Lois & Clark-ish but with an actual special effects budget. I didn't expect anything all that deep out of it, and I don't need it to be deep.

but I agree with what someone else said, they should have made it so that Superman is missing or away on a mission (like he was in Superman Returns) because it really seems like he would have been at least slightly involved in her training. I guess I can accept that he would let her "find her own way", but he would DEFINITELY be involved if Kryptonian villains are in the mix. doubly so villains who are related to him.

KevinCow

Banned
I don't expect the show to have Man of Steel level special effects, but I feel like they could be better than they are with the same budget. I mean - and I hate that I bring it up every time I talk about Supergirl, but I do because it's relevant - look at The Flash and compare how amazing those effects are for a CW budget to this show's effects. The Flash just nails it like 99% of the time. This show... doesn't.

And it definitely wouldn't hurt the fight scenes if Benoist learned how to throw a punch.

Pilgrimzero

Jimmy Olsen is such an alpha male in this show, Kara's poor seamster friend has no chance.

And of course JAMES is going to be cool enough to not act all alpha male. He'll be a great friend and mentor who never thinks of hooking up with her, which just makes her want him more. The perfect man!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The triangle part still has to come.
Heh okay let's see how this works out... Because for a triangle this seems quite one sided at this point. Jimmy Jas to screw up big time down the line or the other dude will have to step up his game.

And of course JAMES is going to be cool enough to not act all alpha male. He'll be a great friend and mentor who never thinks of hooking up with her, which just makes her want him more. The perfect man!
Isn't his ex gf joining later as well? Probably enough tension there to get Kara jealous.

I really, really hope we get that explanation for Superman's physical absence in the next episode or two, because it's still my biggest qualm about the show. Pretty good otherwise, despite some clunky dialogue.

She may be the strongest/most ruthless. It can;t believe she was an actual General though.

Wanting to take over National City is a pretty lame move for her, and honestly quite surprising for a super powered being given that she's been on Earth for 12 years and had plenty of time to do it.

Also, I've noticed that a lot of these characters seem to be takes on Superman characters. I think I would've preferred it if they adopted some of the new 52 Supergirl elements. At least then she'd get a proper fortress instead of some dodgy room in a super secret government lair.

Another thing: How come no one bothered to tell Superman that there are living Kryptonians in National City? It seems like something he might be interested in hearing about.

ReAxion

Did Kara know about it until the moment they turned the emitters on? She seemed to think she had no weaknesses.

The fact the DEO knew exactly what it did under these circumstances and are able to emit it in variable amounts, let alone create weapons made of it, is indeed weird though. Hopefully it's explained better as the series moves on.

I don't recall if she explained what kryptonite even was after saying it was in the room. But she should know she has at least one weakness after the pilot.

The whole DEO thing is weird if I think too much about it. They built a whole base of operations in/near National City b/c they knew Kara was from Krypton and would eventually become Supergirl because the newspaper industry would decline?

I dunno. It's all dumb but still fun to watch.

Another thing: I can only assume that Superman has just never encountered kryptonite in this universe, rather than choosing not to warn his cousin about it.

I really wish that people would learn how to do a simple internet search. I keep seeing people trying to pass off that Hank Henshaw is Martian Manhunter just because his family died and his eyes were red for a moment. Like half the DC universe (or comic book characters in general) lost their family. A simple search would answer why his eyes were red.

If they're introducing James Olsen's ex-,
Lucy Lane
, do you think she's
going to become Superwoman? She was Kara's nemesis
in Gates' run pre-New 52.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom