• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wish that people would learn how to do a simple internet search. I keep seeing people trying to pass off that Hank Henshaw is Martian Manhunter just because his family died and his eyes were red for a moment. Like half the DC universe (or comic book characters in general) lost their family. A simple search would answer why his eyes were red.

LOL, my sister was watching and asked "who's that guy?" and I'm like "he's the guy who becomes Cyborg Superman." Then his eyes flash, and I'm like "Or maybe he's already Cyborg Superman"

but on a purely theoretical basis it could be J'onn as he is a shapeshifter.

Do we know they crashed at the same time? The second episode seemed to imply this alien had only been on the loose for a year.
She was in the Fort so she was freed when Kara came to earth.
She may be the strongest/most ruthless. It can;t believe she was an actual General though.

She's wanted to capture a DEO agent "for awhile" but never just went and grabbed one?

This is what's always been silly: they have a at least 3 Kryptonians on their side and they haven't done shit. I guess Superman must be OP as fuck if 3 are afraid to go outside.

entremet

Show is pretty fun. I find it more appealing than the other DC shows, which I've found hard to get into.

I'm partial to Kryptonians, I guess.

BBboy20

Enjoying it so far, but man, wtf is up with shows these days revealing shit before the third ep.

The Player, Blindspot, the fucking godawful Quantico. Jesus.
Those shows don't have much going for them to begin with so they may as well go fast.

8d3ae61a2b1096e4b8ba1e5d73b2d6cc.jpg

GOAT
Whoa there....

Did Henshaws actor learn from Shatner?

"Kara..... We've got.... to get this.... alien."
LOL He sounded like he was trying to embellish old-style acting/radio drama.

But yeah, this might be the best suit on the Arrowverse. Though, Kara so needed more wind at that ending.

they need to move it to thursday for after big bang theory. that's a lot of fan synergy.

they need a jack donaghy at that network. synergy, cross promotion, market test research.

Not to worry, my friends.

We can't say that this was surprising. Generally all new shows will dip in their ratings from their premiere night. Supergirl also had a lead in from The Big Bang Theory last week while this week Supergirl had to stand alone. That said, ratings fell 29% to 8.9 million viewers. That's still enough to completely dominate Gotham and take a strong second place for the time slot. Entertainment Weekly, however, might have some good news. With DVR views and post live viewing options added in, CBS projects the ratings to grow by about 65%. That means true viewership would be around 14.69 million viewers! That is a lot better than live viewership. While it isn't the kind of drop CBS was looking for, it is something the show can easily whether.

http://www.supergirl.tv/supergirl-s-ratings-fall-in-ep-2

Heat vision was fine, there's just nothing else you can really do while looking at someone.

It's really more about the intensity and what everything around them is doing i.e. the quintessential Beam Struggle

Kamehameha-vs-galick-gun-o.gif

hell they even could've kept the same color scheme, Kara being blue and made Astra's violet.

but if they don't want to go that epic off the bat they could've gone more low key with something similar to Dinobot vs Megatron

https://youtu.be/uTgZFaWigGU?t=290

Viewers in total amount aren't a metric that a fan should be focused on when they're worried about cancellation or renewal. What you want to look at is the ratings within the targeted demographic, which can vary, but is generally the 18-49 slot.

2.2 isn't stellar but it's not awful either. I haven't watched CBS' ratings in that timeslot on that day all seasons but I'm pretty sure the 2.2 is around the same or better than almost everything that isn't Big Bang Theory, the original NCIS or NFL on the network. It likely will get adjusted up as well (most of the Comic book shows get a boost with DVR viewings) but either way, as long as the ratings haven't dropped like a rock, the ratings as of the 2nd episode of a show aren't too indicative of whether or not it'll get cancelled.

It's something that will take a few episodes to figure out.

jurgen

I haven't watched CBS' ratings in that timeslot on that day all seasons but I'm pretty sure the 2.2 is around the same or better than almost everything that isn't Big Bang Theory, the original NCIS or NFL on the network. It likely will get adjusted up as well (most of the Comic book shows get a boost with DVR viewings) but either way, as long as the ratings haven't dropped like a rock, the ratings as of the 2nd episode of a show aren't too indicative of whether or not it'll get cancelled.

It's something that will take a few episodes to figure out.

It's apparently up 20% over the ratings performance of "Two Broke Girls" in the exact same time slot from last season.

The talk on Twitter from the entertainment reporters is that CBS is apparently going to order additional episodes to give it a full(-ish) season run soon.

jurgen

But a pair of glasses is. It always been baffling to me how secret identities work in the Superman spectrum of things.

It's more the personality and the mannerisms than clothing.

Frank Quitely's character models for Clark Kent and Superman really sold me on the idea that he could pose as a bumbling reporter. The disguise is more in how they carry themselves than anything else.

e2VedGE.jpg

Edit: Sorry for the double post. Bourbon's getting to me.

I dont like Cat Grant. I know shes supposed to be a foil for Kara Danvers but the Devil Wears Prada routine is boring. Shes cartoonishly antagonistic.

I think Jimmy Olsen could work but I cant really discern his personality from Will. Hopefully further episodes will help differentiate the two.

Everything else seems way too much like Flash. StarLabs, Dr Wells, Caitlin, Barry are all there. I guess they werent concerned about this since its on anither network/demographic.

Tabby

It's more the personality and the mannerisms than clothing.

Frank Quitely's character models for Clark Kent and Superman really sold me on the idea that he could pose as a bumbling reporter. The disguise is more in how they carry themselves than anything else.

e2VedGE.jpg

Edit: Sorry for the double post. Bourbon's getting to me.
Not just that but Batman and Flash wear masks while Superman doesn't so the public probably just thinks Superman is just an alien that lives in his fortress.
They wouldn't think he's a goofy reporter who acts and behaves completely different.

Skux

This second episode fearmongering happens with every major network TV show lol.

Look at Gotham.

Premiere: 8.21m
2nd ep: 7.45m
Finale: 4.93m

Renewed for a second season.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I honestly wouldn't worry about the ratings. This is the type of project where it either meets whatever goal the studio wants or it gets booted. Either way, it isn't the type of thing anybody here could control. If they're expecting this to be some huge mass market appeal thing, asking friends and family to watch it isn't going to boost the ratings by millions. And if they want to see it grow, then they're pretty aware of how it is going to perform going forward.

Just enjoy the ride while it's here. You can't really compare it to anything else on the air. The CW deals with much smaller numbers, same with Fox at the moment. And aside from those, we don't have any shows like this on a major network anytime this decade. Maybe Lois & Clark? Early 90s Flash? It's a small list.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't seem reasonable to me to expect Supergirl to have effects on the level of Man of Steel. There's a world of difference in the budget and the time they have to complete filming. Honestly, I think they're doing just fine; it's a pleasant surprise they're doing as much flight stuff as they are rather than just having her stand around in a heroic pose all the time.

Maybe, but The Flash has never left me thinking a fight was hokey or a superpower looked underwhelming, and that probably has a smaller budget than Supergirl.

Maybe they tried to hard to be Man of Steal, and just need to try to find a way to make it work within the budget they have. Like if midair kungfu isn't going to work, just do it on the ground instead. You can still incorporate flight, but keep it to like a shoulder tackle at most.

Maybe, but The Flash has never left me thinking a fight was hokey or a superpower looked underwhelming, and that probably has a smaller budget than Supergirl.

It's because wire work hasn't created a way for a performer to plant their feet in mid air to create a solid base when they start throwing punches which creates that sense of power. Flash doesn't really have that problem, he can't fly.

Man of Steel mostly avoided the "dangling by wires" look, there are still instances of it (Zod uppercutting Clark), by keeping Zod on the ground, and sticking to tight shot for strikes and grappling for the wider shots during flight.

Setzer

This show is too cheesy for me. Also I can't take any major threat seriously with Superman in this universe, as it's the same problem I have with the marvel movies. If the threat is big, why wouldn't the other heroes help?

Having other Kryptons running wild on Earth would surely draw Superman's attention. He should have been killed or been missing prior to the shows start.

This is exactly what my problem is with the show. They should have done something from the beginning to explain Superman's absence. They could have come up with anything and they didn't and now you have this serious threat with Kryptons running around and he's no where to be found? C'mon.

It was like in the first episode when James Olsen gave Supergirl that gift from Superman and it was his blanket that he was wrapped in when he came to earth. Something that sentimental you'd think Superman would have taken a couple minutes to fly there and give it to her himself.

I'll give it a few more episodes but this show is no where close to being as good as Gotham or Agents of Shield.

I imagine it's not as it appears but uh holy crap at the global promo for episode 3 (maybe spoilers?)

I really hope Supes actually interacts with her

Ugh. Using the Superman Returns S in the title cards. Bleh.

They should have done something from the beginning to explain Superman's absence.

But if a major thematic element of the show is examining how not even being a Superhero saves Kara from having to suffer the same sort of basic sexism every other woman on Earth has to endure, having no Superman makes that a lot harder to do. Superman not being there, but still being the measuring stick by which her whole existence is judged seems to be a major component of the show's characterizations.

This is exactly what my problem is with the show. They should have done something from the beginning to explain Superman's absence. They could have come up with anything and they didn't and now you have this serious threat with Kryptons running around and he's no where to be found? C'mon.

It was like in the first episode when James Olsen gave Supergirl that gift from Superman and it was his blanket that he was wrapped in when he came to earth. Something that sentimental you'd think Superman would have taken a couple minutes to fly there and give it to her himself.

I'll give it a few more episodes but this show is no where close to being as good as Gotham or Agents of Shield.

Maybe he's busy fighting Doomsday, Darkseid, Lex Luthor, or any of the other pains in the asses he deals with in Metropolis to fly over & help Kara everyday. Pretty much the same deal with why The Flash doesn't just solve all of Oliver's problems in Star. He could likely knock out Darhk in few minutes; but he has his own problems to deal with.

But if a major thematic element of the show is examining how not even being a Superhero saves Kara from having to suffer the same sort of basic sexism every other woman on Earth has to endure, having no Superman makes that a lot harder to do. Superman not being there, but still being the measuring stick by which her whole existence is judged seems to be a major component of the show's characterizations.

They could've you know set it the Arrowverse and used Flash as the Measuring Stick who is fairly celebrated as a hero by Central City.

Well good to see someone is enjoying it. This episode was mostly good for the first two thirds (Flockheart starting as an assistant to Perry White aggravated me a lot) but the last third was atrocious.

Supergirl fights her aunt during her rookie debut? Her aunt starts wailing on her instead of trying to appeal to familial connection? Shitty wirefu? Closet of solitude fully equipped with low rent Russel Crow knock off? Hinting at Cyborg in such a random fashion? The plan to trap the Helgamite? The Helgamite getting knocked out by his own poison? "Your mother betrayed me for being a hero." *cringe*

I hope they don't continue making that many mistakes in the future.

those weren't mistakes, Cat Grant started as a gossip columnist in the comics everything else is you not choosing to enjoy the show.

I don't recall if she explained what kryptonite even was after saying it was in the room. But she should know she has at least one weakness after the pilot.

The whole DEO thing is weird if I think too much about it. They built a whole base of operations in/near National City b/c they knew Kara was from Krypton and would eventually become Supergirl because the newspaper industry would decline?

I dunno. It's all dumb but still fun to watch.

that's not what happened at all. wherein the show they mention that? the DEO came about because of Fort Rozz. the criminals in them aren't all Kryptonian.

Maybe he's busy fighting Doomsday, Darkseid, Lex Luthor, or any of the other pains in the asses he deals with in Metropolis to fly over & help Kara everyday. Pretty much the same deal with why The Flash doesn't just solve all of Oliver's problems in Star. He could likely knock out Darhk in few minutes; but he has his own problems to deal with.

well Darkh seems to have magical powers so i'm not sure Flash can just walk up to him and knock him out.

Flash moves faster than the human brain can react. He should have no problem knocking his enemies out but he always goes for the stand off because its a TV show.

Pachimari

Wow did they mention Superman and his universe a lot... which bothered me somehow.

Everything else was good though. The fight in against her aunt looked a little off but overall I were satisfied the fights, and also the effects. Were impressed at some of it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Flash moves faster than the human brain can react. He should have no problem knocking his enemies out but he always goes for the stand off because its a TV show.

Yeah. Sometimes you have to just turn your brain...well not off, but to a lower setting. Like every Flash episode involves running into the Metahuman, they get away because of their ability, then he faces them at the very end when he figures out a way to sidestep their power.

at least it was not the Smallville heat vision which looked like a beam of water.

latest

Of all the things I dislike Smallville for I'll always like their take on heat vision.

It was actual heat emitting from his eyes in focused waves of heat and it was a better representation of the power than the usual "laser vision" IMO and at non-close up angles it did have the red "laser" like visual could still be seen... Or at least it did once or twice. Smallville's version was even used in Superman Returns.

Shaanyboi

Banned
First image of Brit Morgan as Livewire

107179_WB_0884bc_595_Mini-Logo-TV-white-Gallery.jpg

Aside from the obvious and easy comparisons to DoFP's Quicksilver, I'm a little let down. I totally get they're unlikely to go this far...

4588938-batgirl42.jpg

But I still would think Livewire would be way more flashy than just regular old casual wear. I would think like a nightclub outfit with a leather jacket or something. Hopefully they can do the spectacle of her powers justice. Right now she just kinda looks like Liv from iZombie.

Oliva_Moore_(iZombie)_0001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom