• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The need to dial back "me woman hear me roar"

I agree, but they're becoming better at handling it. It's turned from "girl power!" into "I'm tired of being compared to Superman, I'm not him and I need to develop my own identity". I think that's the big point of this season is her trying to find her own identity. If Berlanti's shows has taught us anything it's that they actively listen to fan feedback. They toned down a lot of the excessive emotional outbreaks that came from Arrow Season 3 and Iris in Flash.

Slayven

Nah, it's alright.

Eh, comes part of the territory.

Nah, they need to turn that shit up.

Right now, it is pretty awkwardly done and that makes it a bit too noticeable.

Give me more. Love seeing women have agency on TV.
Nah it is pretty awful, when everyone is challenging her agency all the time it comes of across as forced and hackneyed. And a hero learning to they can't do everything is part of the heroes journey.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The fighting in this show is so terrible. Plus it has the horrible editing to try to cover up the fact the actors can't fight.
They definitely need to up their game.

He was literally on screen this episode. It's not that they can't use him, but they would prefer not to.
They can't use him as in they'll never cast someone to be Superman. So it's this delicate dance they have to do. She's never going to talk to him directly. Never going to have screen time with him.

I'm fine with the whole texting thing, but they should do it matter-of-factly. Having a moment like sticks out like a sore thumb.

Slayven

I'm not seeing how Skye/Daisy's character arc is in any way similar. She doesn't have a reason to prove herself the way Kara is trying to.

They wasn't going to let the Skye leave her room on the bus, but now she is leading a special ops strike team.

She had to prove herself to people that have seen some shit, that is a lot hard then proving shit to the world.

Superman never worries about proving himself to the world, in fact he would say fuck that shit. The only person that counts is the one inside your head.

A true hero doesn't do it to be liked or loved or proven, they do it because it is the right thing to do.

Tabby

Hopefully all the bullshit is now over.
It didn't bother me before but it seems like the episodes so far have all just been "I'm not Superman! I'm Supergirl! I'm a girl I can still kickass!"
Like, I get the point.

Really good episode on the whole, and they did a much better job of explaining Superman's absence (on both an in-universe and thematic level) than the first two did, but it's not quite enough to explain why he won't help her against Astra. Well, hope they get to that.

This wasn't very good. Pretty bullshit for the most part, actually. They kinda fucked up any positive character development for anyone. It's not like they wasted the goodwill of the first two episodes, but they definitely scuffed that shit up a bit.

The accidental reveal of Clark's identity was kinda funny, though.

The love triangle (such as it is) seems like it needs to be abandoned somehow in the next two or three episodes because I don't see it ending well whichever way it goes. Tedious as hell already.

Luigi87

An okay episode.

One thing that amused me is that Kara was chatting with Clark on a Microsoft Surface [Pro] 3 tablet, yet since Microsoft clearly hasn't paid for advertising, they intentionally obscured the word Surface on its kickstand, and whited out the Windows button to look like a white button.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Kara and her sister are fun together.
When is she gonna die? Or does she have plot armour? How do these CBS shows usually play out?

Gotta follow that Flash formula. Can't beat the bad guy until you've learned something.

But like in that junkyard scene she is getting her ass kicked when shouldnt she be able to tank everything?

And its sunny out so she should be getting recharged by the sun

Volimar

Kara and her sister are fun together.
When is she gonna die? Or does she have plot armour? How do these CBS shows usually play out?

Supergirl is probably too lighthearted a show to be killing off cast members. If we see something like that it will probably be because of behind the scenes bullshit.

Sober

This wasn't very good. Pretty bullshit for the most part, actually. They kinda fucked up any positive character development for anyone. It's not like they wasted the goodwill of the first two episodes, but they definitely scuffed that shit up a bit.

The accidental reveal of Clark's identity was kinda funny, though.

The love triangle (such as it is) seems like it needs to be abandoned somehow in the next two or three episodes because I don't see it ending well whichever way it goes. Tedious as hell already.
What exactly, if I may ask? I think for the most part this was about Kara/James and their trajectories from the previous episode and they mostly tracked fine through this. Everyone else seemed to really just be in a holding pattern though.

I do agree with the love triangle but only because Winn seems pretty sad that I don't even know how he counts as part of any triangle.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Supergirl is probably too lighthearted a show to be killing off cast members. If we see something like that it will probably be because of behind the scenes bullshit.
I would like to clarify, that I do not want her to die.
What exactly, if I may ask? I think for the most part this was about Kara/James and their trajectories from the previous episode and they mostly tracked fine through this. Everyone else seemed to really just be in a holding pattern though.
I do agree with the love triangle but only because Winn seems pretty sad that I don't even know how he counts as part of any triangle.
I always find it funny, that even though I consider myself a sophisticated TV viewer am an absolute sucker for love triangles. And I love that people like me are the reason they still exist. Sue me.

Skux

The need to dial back "me woman hear me roar"

Not really. They've basically replaced "because I'm a woman" with "because I'm a rookie superhero" and that works better for the show. A superhero learning the ropes and becoming self-reliant is valid regardless of gender.

As for the episode, I think they handled the Clark stuff the best they could have, considering they aren't actually allowed to show Superman. They also offloaded a lot of that development onto James with his emergency watch, which was useful to have someone to "blame" on screen and advance Kara and James' relationship. It was always going to be awkward finding out why Superman doesn't show up to save the day, but from now on we're going to be past that and focus just on Supergirl.

The fights were a huge improvement too. The show is a learning experience for its crew as well, and it looks like they're finding out what they can do on their budget and still have the impact of a superpowered throwdown (ie wirework fights are not the way).

Also great to hear Andrew McMahon during the show! Been a fan of his for ages and his song "Cecilia And The Satellite" appeared at the start of the magazine launch party.

ZeroX03

Banned
The show is a lot like Kara in that it doesn't quite know what to do to succeed. It's good in the way early filler Flash was good, but not quite as effective. Not the same confidence in the tone and direction. Every element is a little unsure of itself.

And the most emotional point in the show was messaging with Clark. Which was both a strong affecting moment and a bad thing. I see what they're trying to do with him. Like comedies that make off-screen characters so absurd they can never be seen, Superman is so perfect he can never be seen. We can imagine that perfection because he's Superman. But when the emotional whammy of your show comes from messaging an idealistic figure rather than an actor on your show, that's a problem.

Like I would have been totally fine if the show was just set post-Doomsday with a dead Superman and Kara rising to the challenge. That would've worked for me.

AV Club: B+

Joni

Great episode, especially in the laughs department. I also like the Felicity-DIggle-Oliver look of the new trio.

One thing that amused me is that Kara was chatting with Clark on a Microsoft Surface [Pro] 3 tablet, yet since Microsoft clearly hasn't paid for advertising, they intentionally obscured the word Surface on its kickstand, and whited out the Windows button to look like a white button.
Clearly reusing those Arrowverse assets. Already glad they weren't skyping.

ZeroX03

Banned
Great episode, especially in the laughs department. I also like the Felicity-DIggle-Oliver look of the new trio.

Clearly reusing those Arrowverse assets. Already glad they weren't skyping.

The workplace trio is dope. The DEO trio is way too dry.

Cat Grant uses a MacBook with a white shell on the front covering the logo IIRC.

anaron

the reactron stuff was weak but the show is doing a fantastic job fleshing out these characters as far as I'm concerned. Character interaction and dynamics are coming together very nicely in establishing the series foundation and after tonight I'm especially excited going forward because they've addressed the Supes "problem" and the super friends are formed.

KevinCow

Banned
I hate every interaction Kara has with Cat. I feel like Kara gets way too defensive and is constantly on the verge of getting fired. It's uncomfortable to watch.

I hate every interaction Kara has with Cat. I feel like Kara gets way too defensive and is constantly on the verge of getting fired. It's uncomfortable to watch.

Kara seems to be continuing the family tradition of horribly kept secret identities. Using powers at the office, CC also at the office(i get why, but it's a little silly), doing interviews, super suspicious defensiveness, and probably more will happen in later episodes.

Evo X

I get that she is inexperienced, but any reason why Kara is so damn slow and weak?

She got knocked the fuck out by a few of those radiation blasts whereas Superman just swooped in, tanked them without flinching and made Reactron fly away like a bitch.

Does she wear too much sunblock or something?

Joni

I get that she is inexperienced, but any reason why Kara is so damn slow and weak?

She got knocked the fuck out by a few of those radiation blasts whereas Superman just swooped in, tanked them without flinching and made Reactron fly away like a bitch.

Does she wear too much sunblock or something?

Experience, he also lost a couple of times to Reactron.

Enjoyable enough episode, they've pretty much made Lord their Lex Luthor and are pretty obvious about it and TBH I think they are setting up a point where Kara publicly saves Superman. Probably saving it for sweeps, if not they need to just kill him off.

I said it before but the love of Rao please let Kara refer to Clark/Superman as something other than "my cousin", at least when she's with her "inner circle". I still want her to throw in at least a "Kal" or two to break up the monotony of it.

Haven't watched the show yet, but I remember being underwhelmed by the first shots I saw of Supergirl. I've seen some clips and new pictures and I have to say, I like it a lot more now. The costume looks decent and the actress they picked is really naturally beautiful and a good fit for the character.

The overall look of the show seems a bit too glossy/soap opera-like, though.

strafer

Sorry for the bad quality. Don't know what happened.

uEQPwuE.gif

OK, that episode was kinda bad. Ham-handed messaging can only go on for so long. And Cat seems more irredeemable asshole and less likable-but-mean boss. I guess they're going for a J Jonah Jameson vibe, but it's really annoying.

Pilgrimzero

Just started watching it.

Why doesn't Kara, go after Reactron? Just let this dangerous psycho fly off...? And since when does a car door have better armor than a Krptonian?

Since when does Kara work for DEO? I keep waiting for her to tell Henshaw to fuck off "I dont need your permission because I don't work for you."

Slayven

Just started watching it.

Why doesn't Kara, go after Reactron? Just let this dangerous psycho fly off...? And since when does a car door have better armor than a Krptonian?

Since when does Kara work for DEO? I keep waiting for her to tell Hammond to fuck off "I dont need your permission because I don't work for you."

Hammond or Henshaw?

Both have a big head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom